Smoldering multiple myeloma
- S Vincent Rajkumar, MD
S Vincent Rajkumar, MD
- Edward W. and Betty Knight Scripps Professor of Medicine
- Mayo Clinic
●Serum monoclonal protein ≥3 g/dL and/or 10 to 60 percent bone marrow clonal plasma cells
●Absence of lytic lesions, anemia, hypercalcemia, and renal insufficiency (end-organ damage) that can be attributed to the plasma cell proliferative disorder and the absence of biomarkers associated with near inevitable progression to end-organ damage (≥60 percent clonal plasma cells in the marrow; involved/uninvolved free light chain (FLC) ratio of 100 or more; or more than one focal bone lesion on magnetic resonance imaging [MRI])
SMM is distinguished from multiple myeloma (MM) based upon the lack of end-organ damage; it is distinguished from monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS) based on the size of the M protein and the percent plasma cells in the bone marrow (algorithm 1 and table 2).
The clinical course and management of patients with SMM will be discussed here. The diagnosis of this and other plasma cell dyscrasias, the recognition of serum or urinary monoclonal proteins, and the management of symptomatic MM are presented separately. (See "Overview of the management of multiple myeloma" and "Clinical features, laboratory manifestations, and diagnosis of multiple myeloma" and "Diagnosis of monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance" and "Clinical course and management of monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance" and "Recognition of monoclonal proteins".)
- Rajkumar SV, Dimopoulos MA, Palumbo A, et al. International Myeloma Working Group updated criteria for the diagnosis of multiple myeloma. Lancet Oncol 2014; 15:e538.
- Rajkumar SV, Merlini G, San Miguel JF. Haematological cancer: Redefining myeloma. Nat Rev Clin Oncol 2012; 9:494.
- Rajkumar SV, Larson D, Kyle RA. Diagnosis of smoldering multiple myeloma. N Engl J Med 2011; 365:474.
- Mikhael JR, Dingli D, Roy V, et al. Management of newly diagnosed symptomatic multiple myeloma: updated Mayo Stratification of Myeloma and Risk-Adapted Therapy (mSMART) consensus guidelines 2013. Mayo Clin Proc 2013; 88:360.
- Larsen JT, Kumar SK, Dispenzieri A, et al. Serum free light chain ratio as a biomarker for high-risk smoldering multiple myeloma. Leukemia 2013; 27:941.
- Dispenzieri A, Kyle RA, Katzmann JA, et al. Immunoglobulin free light chain ratio is an independent risk factor for progression of smoldering (asymptomatic) multiple myeloma. Blood 2008; 111:785.
- Hillengass J, Fechtner K, Weber MA, et al. Prognostic significance of focal lesions in whole-body magnetic resonance imaging in patients with asymptomatic multiple myeloma. J Clin Oncol 2010; 28:1606.
- Kastritis E, Moulopoulos LA, Terpos E, et al. The prognostic importance of the presence of more than one focal lesion in spine MRI of patients with asymptomatic (smoldering) multiple myeloma. Leukemia 2014; 28:2402.
- Merz M, Hielscher T, Wagner B, et al. Predictive value of longitudinal whole-body magnetic resonance imaging in patients with smoldering multiple myeloma. Leukemia 2014; 28:1902.
- Dimopoulos MA, Hillengass J, Usmani S, et al. Role of magnetic resonance imaging in the management of patients with multiple myeloma: a consensus statement. J Clin Oncol 2015; 33:657.
- Kyle RA, Remstein ED, Therneau TM, et al. Clinical course and prognosis of smoldering (asymptomatic) multiple myeloma. N Engl J Med 2007; 356:2582.
- Kristinsson SY, Holmberg E, Blimark C. Treatment for high-risk smoldering myeloma. N Engl J Med 2013; 369:1762.
- Kyle RA, Larson DR, Therneau TM, et al. Clinical course of light-chain smouldering multiple myeloma (idiopathic Bence Jones proteinuria): a retrospective cohort study. Lancet Haematol 2014; 1:e28.
- Pérez-Persona E, Vidriales MB, Mateo G, et al. New criteria to identify risk of progression in monoclonal gammopathy of uncertain significance and smoldering multiple myeloma based on multiparameter flow cytometry analysis of bone marrow plasma cells. Blood 2007; 110:2586.
- Mateos MV, Hernández MT, Giraldo P, et al. Lenalidomide plus dexamethasone for high-risk smoldering multiple myeloma. N Engl J Med 2013; 369:438.
- Bianchi G, Kyle RA, Larson DR, et al. High levels of peripheral blood circulating plasma cells as a specific risk factor for progression of smoldering multiple myeloma. Leukemia 2013; 27:680.
- Dispenzieri A, Stewart AK, Chanan-Khan A, et al. Smoldering multiple myeloma requiring treatment: time for a new definition? Blood 2013; 122:4172.
- Rajkumar SV, Gupta V, Fonseca R, et al. Impact of primary molecular cytogenetic abnormalities and risk of progression in smoldering multiple myeloma. Leukemia 2013; 27:1738.
- Neben K, Jauch A, Hielscher T, et al. Progression in smoldering myeloma is independently determined by the chromosomal abnormalities del(17p), t(4;14), gain 1q, hyperdiploidy, and tumor load. J Clin Oncol 2013; 31:4325.
- Dhodapkar MV, Sexton R, Waheed S, et al. Clinical, genomic, and imaging predictors of myeloma progression from asymptomatic monoclonal gammopathies (SWOG S0120). Blood 2014; 123:78.
- Kyle RA, Greipp PR. Smoldering multiple myeloma. N Engl J Med 1980; 302:1347.
- UK myeloma forum. British Committee for Standards in Haematology. Diagnosis and management of multiple myeloma. Br J Haematol 2001; 115:522.
- He Y, Wheatley K, Clark O, et al. Early versus deferred treatment for early stage multiple myeloma. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2003; :CD004023.
- Hjorth M, Hellquist L, Holmberg E, et al. Initial versus deferred melphalan-prednisone therapy for asymptomatic multiple myeloma stage I--a randomized study. Myeloma Group of Western Sweden. Eur J Haematol 1993; 50:95.
- Grignani G, Gobbi PG, Formisano R, et al. A prognostic index for multiple myeloma. Br J Cancer 1996; 73:1101.
- Kyle RA, Durie BG, Rajkumar SV, et al. Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS) and smoldering (asymptomatic) multiple myeloma: IMWG consensus perspectives risk factors for progression and guidelines for monitoring and management. Leukemia 2010; 24:1121.
- Thomas A, Mailankody S, Korde N, et al. Second malignancies after multiple myeloma: from 1960s to 2010s. Blood 2012; 119:2731.
- Mateos MV, Hernández MT, Giraldo P, et al. Lenalidomide plus dexamethasone versus observation in patients with high-risk smouldering multiple myeloma (QuiRedex): long-term follow-up of a randomised, controlled, phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol 2016; 17:1127.