Salivary gland tumors: Epidemiology, diagnosis, evaluation, and staging
- Scott A Laurie, MD, FRCPC
Scott A Laurie, MD, FRCPC
- The Ottawa Hospital Cancer Centre
- University of Ottawa
- Section Editors
- Bruce E Brockstein, MD
Bruce E Brockstein, MD
- Section Editor — Cancer of the Head and Neck
- Clinical Professor of Medicine
- University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine
- David M Brizel, MD
David M Brizel, MD
- Section Editor — Radiation Therapy
- Leonard R Prosnitz Professor of Radiation Oncology
- Professor of Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery
- Duke University Cancer Institute
- Marvin P Fried, MD, FACS
Marvin P Fried, MD, FACS
- Section Editor — Head and Neck Surgery
- Professor and University Chairman, Department of Otorhinolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
- Montefiore Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
This topic discusses the clinical presentation, diagnosis, initial evaluation, and staging of salivary gland tumors.
Other important topics related to salivary gland tumors include:
- Tumours of the Salivary Glands. In: Pathology and Genetics of Head and Neck Tumours, Barnes L, Eveson JW, Reichart P, Sidransky D. (Eds), World Health Organization, Lyon 2005. p.209.
- Guzzo M, Locati LD, Prott FJ, et al. Major and minor salivary gland tumors. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 2010; 74:134.
- Spiro RH. Salivary neoplasms: overview of a 35-year experience with 2,807 patients. Head Neck Surg 1986; 8:177.
- O'Brien CJ, Malka VB, Mijailovic M. Evaluation of 242 consecutive parotidectomies performed for benign and malignant disease. Aust N Z J Surg 1993; 63:870.
- Saku T, Hayashi Y, Takahara O, et al. Salivary gland tumors among atomic bomb survivors, 1950-1987. Cancer 1997; 79:1465.
- Boukheris H, Ron E, Dores GM, et al. Risk of radiation-related salivary gland carcinomas among survivors of Hodgkin lymphoma: a population-based analysis. Cancer 2008; 113:3153.
- Chowdhry AK, McHugh C, Fung C, et al. Second primary head and neck cancer after Hodgkin lymphoma: a population-based study of 44,879 survivors of Hodgkin lymphoma. Cancer 2015; 121:1436.
- Schneider AB, Lubin J, Ron E, et al. Salivary gland tumors after childhood radiation treatment for benign conditions of the head and neck: dose-response relationships. Radiat Res 1998; 149:625.
- Boukheris H, Stovall M, Gilbert ES, et al. Risk of salivary gland cancer after childhood cancer: a report from the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2013; 85:776.
- Pinkston JA, Cole P. Cigarette smoking and Warthin's tumor. Am J Epidemiol 1996; 144:183.
- de Ru JA, Plantinga RF, Majoor MH, et al. Warthin's tumour and smoking. B-ENT 2005; 1:63.
- Serraino D, Boschini A, Carrieri P, et al. Cancer risk among men with, or at risk of, HIV infection in southern Europe. AIDS 2000; 14:553.
- Shebl FM, Bhatia K, Engels EA. Salivary gland and nasopharyngeal cancers in individuals with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome in United States. Int J Cancer 2010; 126:2503.
- Licitra L, Grandi C, Prott FJ, et al. Major and minor salivary glands tumours. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 2003; 45:215.
- Caughey RJ, May M, Schaitkin BM. Intraparotid facial nerve schwannoma: diagnosis and management. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2004; 130:586.
- Isayeva T, Said-Al-Naief N, Ren Z, et al. Salivary mucoepidermoid carcinoma: demonstration of transcriptionally active human papillomavirus 16/18. Head Neck Pathol 2013; 7:135.
- Brunner M, Koperek O, Wrba F, et al. HPV infection and p16 expression in carcinomas of the minor salivary glands. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2012; 269:2265.
- Jour G, West K, Ghali V, et al. Differential expression of p16(INK4A) and cyclin D1 in benign and malignant salivary gland tumors: a study of 44 Cases. Head Neck Pathol 2013; 7:224.
- Hafed L, Farag H, Shaker O, El-Rouby D. Is human papilloma virus associated with salivary gland neoplasms? An in situ-hybridization study. Arch Oral Biol 2012; 57:1194.
- Skálová A, Kašpírková J, Andrle P, et al. Human papillomaviruses are not involved in the etiopathogenesis of salivary gland tumors. Cesk Patol 2013; 49:72.
- Boland JM, McPhail ED, García JJ, et al. Detection of human papilloma virus and p16 expression in high-grade adenoid cystic carcinoma of the head and neck. Mod Pathol 2012; 25:529.
- Horn-Ross PL, Ljung BM, Morrow M. Environmental factors and the risk of salivary gland cancer. Epidemiology 1997; 8:414.
- Swanson GM, Burns PB. Cancers of the salivary gland: workplace risks among women and men. Ann Epidemiol 1997; 7:369.
- Schramm VL Jr, Imola MJ. Management of nasopharyngeal salivary gland malignancy. Laryngoscope 2001; 111:1533.
- Quesnel AM, Lindsay RW, Hadlock TA. When the bell tolls on Bell's palsy: finding occult malignancy in acute-onset facial paralysis. Am J Otolaryngol 2010; 31:339.
- Lee YY, Wong KT, King AD, Ahuja AT. Imaging of salivary gland tumours. Eur J Radiol 2008; 66:419.
- Hisatomi M, Asaumi J, Yanagi Y, et al. Diagnostic value of dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI in the salivary gland tumors. Oral Oncol 2007; 43:940.
- Koyuncu M, Seşen T, Akan H, et al. Comparison of computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging in the diagnosis of parotid tumors. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2003; 129:726.
- Kotecha S, Bhatia P, Rout PG. Diagnostic ultrasound in the head and neck region. Dent Update 2008; 35:529.
- Koischwitz D, Gritzmann N. Ultrasound of the neck. Radiol Clin North Am 2000; 38:1029.
- Białek EJ, Jakubowski W, Karpińska G. Role of ultrasonography in diagnosis and differentiation of pleomorphic adenomas: work in progress. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2003; 129:929.
- Feld R, Nazarian LN, Needleman L, et al. Clinical impact of sonographically guided biopsy of salivary gland masses and surrounding lymph nodes. Ear Nose Throat J 1999; 78:905, 908.
- Maiorano E, Lo Muzio L, Favia G, Piattelli A. Warthin's tumour: a study of 78 cases with emphasis on bilaterality, multifocality and association with other malignancies. Oral Oncol 2002; 38:35.
- Hilton JM, Phillips JS, Hellquist HB, Premachandra DJ. Multifocal multi-site Warthin tumour. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2008; 265:1573.
- van Tongeren J, Creytens DH, Meulemans EV, et al. Synchronous bilateral epithelial-myoepithelial carcinoma of the parotid gland: case report and review of the literature. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2009; 266:1495.
- Christensen RK, Bjørndal K, Godballe C, Krogdahl A. Value of fine-needle aspiration biopsy of salivary gland lesions. Head Neck 2010; 32:104.
- Zbären P, Guélat D, Loosli H, Stauffer E. Parotid tumors: fine-needle aspiration and/or frozen section. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2008; 139:811.
- Howlett DC, Menezes LJ, Lewis K, et al. Sonographically guided core biopsy of a parotid mass. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2007; 188:223.
- Wan YL, Chan SC, Chen YL, et al. Ultrasonography-guided core-needle biopsy of parotid gland masses. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2004; 25:1608.
- Hughes JH, Volk EE, Wilbur DC, Cytopathology Resource Committee, College of American Pathologists. Pitfalls in salivary gland fine-needle aspiration cytology: lessons from the College of American Pathologists Interlaboratory Comparison Program in Nongynecologic Cytology. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2005; 129:26.
- Layfield LJ. Fine-needle aspiration in the diagnosis of head and neck lesions: a review and discussion of problems in differential diagnosis. Diagn Cytopathol 2007; 35:798.
- American Joint Committee on Cancer Staging Manual, 7th ed, Edge SB, Byrd DR, Compton CC, et al (Eds), Springer, New York 2010.
- Cermik TF, Mavi A, Acikgoz G, et al. FDG PET in detecting primary and recurrent malignant salivary gland tumors. Clin Nucl Med 2007; 32:286.
- Razfar A, Heron DE, Branstetter BF 4th, et al. Positron emission tomography-computed tomography adds to the management of salivary gland malignancies. Laryngoscope 2010; 120:734.
- Kim MJ, Kim JS, Roh JL, et al. Utility of 18F-FDG PET/CT for detecting neck metastasis in patients with salivary gland carcinomas: preoperative planning for necessity and extent of neck dissection. Ann Surg Oncol 2013; 20:899.
- Adelstein DJ, Rodriguez CP. What is new in the management of salivary gland cancers? Curr Opin Oncol 2011; 23:249.