- John M Davis, MD
John M Davis, MD
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
The rheumatoid nodule is the most common cutaneous manifestation of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) [1,2]. Although nodules commonly are found on pressure points (such as the olecranon process), they may occur at other sites, including ones within internal organs of the body. Thus, bedridden patients can develop nodules on the occiput and ischial areas, and nodules occasionally form on the Achilles tendon and vocal cords . Rheumatoid "nodulosis" is characterized by multiple nodules on the hands and multiple subchondral bone cysts known as "geodes" . These nodules tend to occur on extensor surfaces adjacent to joints, elbows, and fingers, as well as the forearm, metacarpophalangeal and proximal interphalangeal joints, occiput, back, heel, and other areas .
The clinical and histopathologic features, diagnosis, and treatment of rheumatoid nodules will be reviewed here. The articular features and an overview of the systemic and nonarticular manifestations of RA are presented separately. (See "Clinical manifestations of rheumatoid arthritis" and "Overview of the systemic and nonarticular manifestations of rheumatoid arthritis".)
PREVALENCE AND CLINICAL SIGNIFICANCE
Subcutaneous nodules — Palpable nodules in the subcutaneous tissues have been reported at initial presentation in 7 percent of patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA)  and are found at some time during the disease course in 30 to 40 percent of patients . The vast majority of nodule formers have positive tests for rheumatoid factor . Nodules are found in 75 percent of patients with RA-associated Felty’s syndrome . RA patients with nodules are also more likely to develop vasculitis . Limited data suggest that many patients with rheumatoid nodules have a positive test for antibodies to citrulline containing peptides (eg, anti-CCP) . In general, patients with rheumatoid nodules tend to have a severe RA phenotype, with more rapid progression of joint destruction than other patients with RA . Rheumatoid nodules have also been noted in occasional patients with systemic lupus erythematosus, ankylosing spondylitis, granuloma annulare, and chronic active hepatitis, and they have been associated with antiphospholipid antibodies in patients with RA, as well as in healthy children and adults .
In many cases, the nodules are neither symptomatic nor a cosmetic concern. However, rheumatoid nodules can be painful and/or disfiguring, can interfere with function, and can cause compressive neuropathies. Some patients find the nodules more distressing than the arthritis. The nodules may also ulcerate and thus serve as a site for local infection or other distant infectious complications by hematogenous spread of bacteria.
- Sayah A, English JC 3rd. Rheumatoid arthritis: a review of the cutaneous manifestations. J Am Acad Dermatol 2005; 53:191.
- Highton J, Hessian PA, Stamp L. The Rheumatoid nodule: peripheral or central to rheumatoid arthritis? Rheumatology (Oxford) 2007; 46:1385.
- Ylitalo R, Heimbürger M, Lindestad PA. Vocal fold deposits in autoimmune disease--an unusual cause of hoarseness. Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci 2003; 28:446.
- Ginsberg MH, Genant HK, Yü TF, McCarty DJ. Rheumatoid nodulosis: an unusual variant of rheumatoid disease. Arthritis Rheum 1975; 18:49.
- García-Patos V. Rheumatoid nodule. Semin Cutan Med Surg 2007; 26:100.
- Nyhäll-Wåhlin BM, Jacobsson LT, Petersson IF, et al. Smoking is a strong risk factor for rheumatoid nodules in early rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 2006; 65:601.
- Turesson C, Jacobsson LT. Epidemiology of extra-articular manifestations in rheumatoid arthritis. Scand J Rheumatol 2004; 33:65.
- Turesson C, McClelland RL, Christianson T, Matteson E. Clustering of extraarticular manifestations in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. J Rheumatol 2008; 35:179.
- Kim SK, Park SH, Shin IH, Choe JY. Anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide antibody, smoking, alcohol consumption, and disease duration as risk factors for extraarticular manifestations in Korean patients with rheumatoid arthritis. J Rheumatol 2008; 35:995.
- Nyhäll-Wåhlin BM, Turesson C, Jacobsson LT, et al. The presence of rheumatoid nodules at early rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis is a sign of extra-articular disease and predicts radiographic progression of joint destruction over 5 years. Scand J Rheumatol 2011; 40:81.
- Walker WC, Wright V. Pulmonary lesions and rheumatoid arthritis. Medicine (Baltimore) 1968; 47:501.
- Yousem SA, Colby TV, Carrington CB. Lung biopsy in rheumatoid arthritis. Am Rev Respir Dis 1985; 131:770.
- Watson P, Simler N, Screaton N, Lillicrap M. Management of accelerated pulmonary nodulosis following etanercept therapy in a patient with rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2008; 47:928.
- Horvath IF, Szanto A, Csiki Z, et al. Intrapulmonary rheumatoid nodules in a patient with long-standing rheumatoid arthritis treated with leflunomide. Pathol Oncol Res 2008; 14:101.
- Rozin A, Yigla M, Guralnik L, et al. Rheumatoid lung nodulosis and osteopathy associated with leflunomide therapy. Clin Rheumatol 2006; 25:384.
- Walters MN, Ojeda VJ. Pleuropulmonary necrobiotic rheumatoid nodules. A review and clinicopathological study of six patients. Med J Aust 1986; 144:648.
- Highton J, Hung N, Hessian P, Wilsher M. Pulmonary rheumatoid nodules demonstrating features usually associated with rheumatoid synovial membrane. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2007; 46:811.
- Atkins SR, Turesson C, Myers JL, et al. Morphologic and quantitative assessment of CD20+ B cell infiltrates in rheumatoid arthritis-associated nonspecific interstitial pneumonia and usual interstitial pneumonia. Arthritis Rheum 2006; 54:635.
- Glace B, Gottenberg JE, Mariette X, et al. Efficacy of rituximab in the treatment of pulmonary rheumatoid nodules: findings in 10 patients from the French AutoImmunity and Rituximab/Rheumatoid Arthritis registry (AIR/PR registry). Ann Rheum Dis 2012; 71:1429.
- Kitas G, Banks MJ, Bacon PA. Cardiac involvement in rheumatoid disease. Clin Med 2001; 1:18.
- Wisłowska M, Sypuła S, Kowalik I. Echocardiographic findings and 24-h electrocardiographic Holter monitoring in patients with nodular and non-nodular rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatol Int 1999; 18:163.
- Ahern M, Lever JV, Cosh J. Complete heart block in rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 1983; 42:389.
- Chatzis A, Giannopoulos N, Baharakakis S, et al. Unusual cause of a stroke in a patient with seronegative rheumatoid arthritis. Cardiovasc Surg 1999; 7:659.
- Mounet FS, Soula P, Concina P, Cerene A. A rare case of embolizing cardiac tumor: rheumatoid nodule of the mitral valve. J Heart Valve Dis 1997; 6:77.
- Kang H, Baron M. Embolic complications of a mitral valve rheumatoid nodule. J Rheumatol 2004; 31:1001.
- Palmer DG, Hogg N, Highton J, et al. Macrophage migration and maturation within rheumatoid nodules. Arthritis Rheum 1987; 30:728.
- Athanasou NA, Quinn J, Woods CG, Mcgee JO. Immunohistology of rheumatoid nodules and rheumatoid synovium. Ann Rheum Dis 1988; 47:398.
- Miyasaka N, Sato K, Yamamoto K, et al. Immunological and immunohistochemical analysis of rheumatoid nodules. Ann Rheum Dis 1989; 48:220.
- Wikaningrum R, Highton J, Parker A, et al. Pathogenic mechanisms in the rheumatoid nodule: comparison of proinflammatory cytokine production and cell adhesion molecule expression in rheumatoid nodules and synovial membranes from the same patient. Arthritis Rheum 1998; 41:1783.
- Harris ED Jr. A collagenolytic system produced by primary cultures of rheumatoid nodule tissue. J Clin Invest 1972; 51:2973.
- Stamp LK, Easson A, Lehnigk U, et al. Different T cell subsets in the nodule and synovial membrane: absence of interleukin-17A in rheumatoid nodules. Arthritis Rheum 2008; 58:1601.
- Hessian PA, Highton J, Kean A, et al. Cytokine profile of the rheumatoid nodule suggests that it is a Th1 granuloma. Arthritis Rheum 2003; 48:334.
- Edwards JC, Wilkinson LS, Pitsillides AA. Palisading cells of rheumatoid nodules: comparison with synovial intimal cells. Ann Rheum Dis 1993; 52:801.
- Elewaut D, De Keyser F, De Wever N, et al. A comparative phenotypical analysis of rheumatoid nodules and rheumatoid synovium with special reference to adhesion molecules and activation markers. Ann Rheum Dis 1998; 57:480.
- Kato H, Yamakawa M, Ogino T. Complement mediated vascular endothelial injury in rheumatoid nodules: a histopathological and immunohistochemical study. J Rheumatol 2000; 27:1839.
- Gorman JD, David-Vaudey E, Pai M, et al. Lack of association of the HLA-DRB1 shared epitope with rheumatoid nodules: an individual patient data meta-analysis of 3,272 Caucasian patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 2004; 50:753.
- Gorman JD, David-Vaudey E, Pai M, et al. Particular HLA-DRB1 shared epitope genotypes are strongly associated with rheumatoid vasculitis. Arthritis Rheum 2004; 50:3476.
- Burgos PI, Causey ZL, Tamhane A, et al. Association of IL4R single-nucleotide polymorphisms with rheumatoid nodules in African Americans with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Res Ther 2010; 12:R75.
- Cronstein BN, Eberle MA, Gruber HE, Levin RI. Methotrexate inhibits neutrophil function by stimulating adenosine release from connective tissue cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1991; 88:2441.
- Merrill JT, Shen C, Schreibman D, et al. Adenosine A1 receptor promotion of multinucleated giant cell formation by human monocytes: a mechanism for methotrexate-induced nodulosis in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 1997; 40:1308.
- Struthers GR, Scott DL, Delamere JP, et al. Smoking and rheumatoid vasculitis. Rheumatol Int 1981; 1:145.
- Turesson C, Schaid DJ, Weyand CM, et al. Association of HLA-C3 and smoking with vasculitis in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 2006; 54:2776.
- Turesson C, O'Fallon WM, Crowson CS, et al. Extra-articular disease manifestations in rheumatoid arthritis: incidence trends and risk factors over 46 years. Ann Rheum Dis 2003; 62:722.
- Nyhäll-Wåhlin BM, Petersson IF, Nilsson JA, et al. High disease activity disability burden and smoking predict severe extra-articular manifestations in early rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2009; 48:416.
- Schofield JK, Cerio R, Grice K. Systemic lupus erythematosus presenting with 'rheumatoid nodules'. Clin Exp Dermatol 1992; 17:53.
- Hassikou H, Le Guilchard F, Lespessailles E, et al. Rheumatoid nodules in systemic lupus erythematosus: a case report. Joint Bone Spine 2003; 70:234.
- Simons FE, Schaller JG. Benign rheumatoid nodules. Pediatrics 1975; 56:29.
- Mastboom WJ, van der Staak FH, Festen C, Postma MH. Subcutaneous rheumatoid nodules. Arch Dis Child 1988; 63:662.
- McGrath MH, Fleischer A. The subcutaneous rheumatoid nodule. Hand Clin 1989; 5:127.
- Sander O, Scherer A. Mimicry of a rheumatoid nodule by tophaceous pseudogout at the elbow. J Rheumatol 2008; 35:1419.
- Patatanian E, Thompson DF. A review of methotrexate-induced accelerated nodulosis. Pharmacotherapy 2002; 22:1157.
- Sautner J, Rintelen B, Leeb BF. Rituximab as effective treatment in a case of severe subcutaneous nodulosis in rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2013; 52:1535.
- De Stefano R, Frati E, Nargi F, Menza L. Efficacy of rituximab on pulmonary nodulosis occurring or increasing in patients with rheumatoid arthritis during anti-TNF-α therapy. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2011; 29:752.
- Andres M, Vela P, Romera C. Marked improvement of lung rheumatoid nodules after treatment with tocilizumab. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2012; 51:1132.
- Garrido-Ríos A, Sánchez-Velicia L, Sanz-Muñoz C, et al. Rheumatoid nodulosis: successful response to topical tacrolimus. Clin Rheumatol 2009; 28:1341.
- Ching DW, Petrie JP, Klemp P, Jones JG. Injection therapy of superficial rheumatoid nodules. Br J Rheumatol 1992; 31:775.
- Baan H, Haagsma CJ, van de Laar MA. Corticosteroid injections reduce size of rheumatoid nodules. Clin Rheumatol 2006; 25:21.
- PREVALENCE AND CLINICAL SIGNIFICANCE
- Subcutaneous nodules
- Pulmonary nodules
- Cardiac nodules
- Central nervous system nodules
- PATHOLOGY AND PATHOGENESIS
- Differential diagnosis
- - Subcutaneous nodules
- - Lung nodule or nodules
- Accelerated nodulosis
- Subcutaneous nodules
- - Glucocorticoid injection
- - Surgical excision
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS