Pulmonary arteriovenous malformations: Diagnostic evaluation
- James R Gossage, MD
James R Gossage, MD
- Professor of Medicine
- Georgia Regents University
Pulmonary arteriovenous malformations (PAVM) are abnormal communications between pulmonary veins and arteries . Alternative names include pulmonary arteriovenous fistulae, pulmonary arteriovenous aneurysms, cavernous angiomas of the lung, and pulmonary telangiectases . PAVM are uncommon, but they are an important consideration in the differential diagnosis of common pulmonary problems, including hypoxemia, pulmonary nodules, and hemoptysis.
Indications for diagnostic testing, the available diagnostic tests, and an approach to the diagnostic evaluation of suspected PAVM are reviewed here. The epidemiology, etiology, pathology, clinical features, and treatment of PAVM are discussed separately. (See "Pulmonary arteriovenous malformations: Epidemiology, etiology, pathology, and clinical features".)
PAVM should be suspected and a diagnostic evaluation initiated in individuals with one or more of the following characteristics:
●One or more pulmonary nodules on a chest x-ray are suspicious for PAVM. The features of a pulmonary nodule that make it suspicious for a PAVM are described separately. (See "Pulmonary arteriovenous malformations: Epidemiology, etiology, pathology, and clinical features", section on 'Imaging findings'.)
●Stigmata of right-to-left shunting, such as dyspnea, hypoxemia, polycythemia, clubbing, cyanosis, cerebral embolism, or a brain abscess.
- Churton, T. Multiple aneurysms of the pulmonary artery. Br Med J 1897; 1:1223.
- SLOAN RD, COOLEY RN. Congenital pulmonary arteriovenous aneurysm. Am J Roentgenol Radium Ther Nucl Med 1953; 70:183.
- Haitjema T, Disch F, Overtoom TT, et al. Screening family members of patients with hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia. Am J Med 1995; 99:519.
- Fuchizaki U, Miyamori H, Kitagawa S, et al. Hereditary haemorrhagic telangiectasia (Rendu-Osler-Weber disease). Lancet 2003; 362:1490.
- Cottin V, Plauchu H, Bayle JY, et al. Pulmonary arteriovenous malformations in patients with hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2004; 169:994.
- Vase P, Holm M, Arendrup H. Pulmonary arteriovenous fistulas in hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia. Acta Med Scand 1985; 218:105.
- van Gent MW, Post MC, Snijder RJ, et al. Real prevalence of pulmonary right-to-left shunt according to genotype in patients with hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia: a transthoracic contrast echocardiography study. Chest 2010; 138:833.
- McAllister KA, Lennon F, Bowles-Biesecker B, et al. Genetic heterogeneity in hereditary haemorrhagic telangiectasia: possible correlation with clinical phenotype. J Med Genet 1994; 31:927.
- Ference BA, Shannon TM, White RI Jr, et al. Life-threatening pulmonary hemorrhage with pulmonary arteriovenous malformations and hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia. Chest 1994; 106:1387.
- Barzilai B, Waggoner AD, Spessert C, et al. Two-dimensional contrast echocardiography in the detection and follow-up of congenital pulmonary arteriovenous malformations. Am J Cardiol 1991; 68:1507.
- Shub C, Tajik AJ, Seward JB, Dines DE. Detecting intrapulmonary right-to-left shunt with contrast echocardiography. Observations in a patient with diffuse pulmonary arteriovenous fistulas. Mayo Clin Proc 1976; 51:81.
- Seward JB, Tajik AJ, Spangler JG, Ritter DG. Echocardiographic contrast studies: initial experience. Mayo Clin Proc 1975; 50:163.
- Gossage JR. Role of contrast echocardiography in screening for pulmonary arteriovenous malformation in patients with hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia. Chest 2010; 138:769.
- Zukotynski K, Chan RP, Chow CM, et al. Contrast echocardiography grading predicts pulmonary arteriovenous malformations on CT. Chest 2007; 132:18.
- Gazzaniga P, Buscarini E, Leandro G, et al. Contrast echocardiography for pulmonary arteriovenous malformations screening: does any bubble matter? Eur J Echocardiogr 2009; 10:513.
- Nanthakumar K, Graham AT, Robinson TI, et al. Contrast echocardiography for detection of pulmonary arteriovenous malformations. Am Heart J 2001; 141:243.
- Oxhøj H, Kjeldsen AD, Nielsen G. Screening for pulmonary arteriovenous malformations: contrast echocardiography versus pulse oximetry. Scand Cardiovasc J 2000; 34:281.
- Andersen PE, Kjeldsen AD, Oxhøj H, et al. Embolotherapy for pulmonary arteriovenous malformations in patients with hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia (Rendu-Osler-Weber syndrome). Acta Radiol 1998; 39:723.
- Lee WL, Graham AF, Pugash RA, et al. Contrast echocardiography remains positive after treatment of pulmonary arteriovenous malformations. Chest 2003; 123:351.
- van Gent MW, Post MC, Snijder RJ, et al. Grading of pulmonary right-to-left shunt with transthoracic contrast echocardiography: does it predict the indication for embolotherapy? Chest 2009; 135:1288.
- Parra JA, Bueno J, Zarauza J, et al. Graded contrast echocardiography in pulmonary arteriovenous malformations. Eur Respir J 2010; 35:1279.
- Velthuis S, Buscarini E, Mager JJ, et al. Predicting the size of pulmonary arteriovenous malformations on chest computed tomography: a role for transthoracic contrast echocardiography. Eur Respir J 2014; 44:150.
- Gossage JR, Kanj G. Pulmonary arteriovenous malformations. A state of the art review. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1998; 158:643.
- Kjeldsen AD, Oxhøj H, Andersen PE, et al. Pulmonary arteriovenous malformations: screening procedures and pulmonary angiography in patients with hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia. Chest 1999; 116:432.
- Haitjema TJ, Overtoom TT, Westermann CJ, Lammers JW. Embolisation of pulmonary arteriovenous malformations: results and follow up in 32 patients. Thorax 1995; 50:719.
- Swanson KL, Prakash UB, Stanson AW. Pulmonary arteriovenous fistulas: Mayo Clinic experience, 1982-1997. Mayo Clin Proc 1999; 74:671.
- Kjeldsen AD, Vase P, Oxhøj H. Hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia. N Engl J Med 1996; 334:331.
- Whyte MK, Peters AM, Hughes JM, et al. Quantification of right to left shunt at rest and during exercise in patients with pulmonary arteriovenous malformations. Thorax 1992; 47:790.
- Thompson RD, Jackson J, Peters AM, et al. Sensitivity and specificity of radioisotope right-left shunt measurements and pulse oximetry for the early detection of pulmonary arteriovenous malformations. Chest 1999; 115:109.
- Ueki J, Hughes JM, Peters AM, et al. Oxygen and 99mTc-MAA shunt estimations in patients with pulmonary arteriovenous malformations: effects of changes in posture and lung volume. Thorax 1994; 49:327.
- Godwin JD, Webb WR. Dynamic computed tomography in the evaluation of vascular lung lesions. Radiology 1981; 138:629.
- Remy J, Remy-Jardin M, Giraud F, Wattinne L. Angioarchitecture of pulmonary arteriovenous malformations: clinical utility of three-dimensional helical CT. Radiology 1994; 191:657.
- Dinsmore BJ, Gefter WB, Hatabu H, Kressel HY. Pulmonary arteriovenous malformations: diagnosis by gradient-refocused MR imaging. J Comput Assist Tomogr 1990; 14:918.
- Remy J, Remy-Jardin M, Wattinne L, Deffontaines C. Pulmonary arteriovenous malformations: evaluation with CT of the chest before and after treatment. Radiology 1992; 182:809.
- Silverman JM, Julien PJ, Herfkens RJ, Pelc NJ. Magnetic resonance imaging evaluation of pulmonary vascular malformations. Chest 1994; 106:1333.
- Ohno Y, Hatabu H, Takenaka D, et al. Contrast-enhanced MR perfusion imaging and MR angiography: utility for management of pulmonary arteriovenous malformations for embolotherapy. Eur J Radiol 2002; 41:136.
- Khalil A, Farres MT, Mangiapan G, et al. Pulmonary arteriovenous malformations. Chest 2000; 117:1399.
- Schneider G, Uder M, Koehler M, et al. MR angiography for detection of pulmonary arteriovenous malformations in patients with hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2008; 190:892.
- White RI Jr, Mitchell SE, Barth KH, et al. Angioarchitecture of pulmonary arteriovenous malformations: an important consideration before embolotherapy. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1983; 140:681.
- White RI Jr, Pollak JS, Wirth JA. Pulmonary arteriovenous malformations: diagnosis and transcatheter embolotherapy. J Vasc Interv Radiol 1996; 7:787.
- White RI Jr, Lynch-Nyhan A, Terry P, et al. Pulmonary arteriovenous malformations: techniques and long-term outcome of embolotherapy. Radiology 1988; 169:663.
- Velthuis S, Buscarini E, van Gent MW, et al. Grade of pulmonary right-to-left shunt on contrast echocardiography and cerebral complications: a striking association. Chest 2013; 144:542.
- Oliveira GH, Seward JB, Cortese DA, Dines DE. Contrast transesophageal echocardiography in the diagnosis and localization of diffuse pulmonary telangiectasias. Chest 2000; 118:557.