Prophylactic cranial irradiation for patients with small cell lung cancer
- Elizabeth H Baldini, MD, MPH
Elizabeth H Baldini, MD, MPH
- Associate Professor of Radiation Oncology
- Harvard Medical School
- Section Editors
- Rogerio C Lilenbaum, MD, FACP
Rogerio C Lilenbaum, MD, FACP
- Section Editor — Lung Cancer
- Yale Cancer Center
- James R Jett, MD
James R Jett, MD
- Section Editor — Lung Cancer
- Professor of Medicine Emeritus
- National Jewish Health
- Steven E Schild, MD
Steven E Schild, MD
- Section Editor — Radiation Therapy
- Professor of Radiation Oncology
- Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
The natural history of small cell lung cancer (SCLC) is one of rapid tumor growth and early dissemination. Because of this, the therapeutic approach is different from that used for patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC).
Although the tumor, node, metastasis (TNM) staging system used for NSCLC is also suggested for SCLC, patients with SCLC are typically divided into those with limited stage versus extensive stage disease. (See "Tumor, node, metastasis (TNM) staging system for non-small cell lung cancer".)
Limited stage disease is defined as disease confined to one hemithorax (ie, disease which can be included in a "tolerable" radiation field). About one-third of patients present with limited disease, although many of these patients probably already have subclinical metastatic disease.
Chemotherapy is an integral component of the treatment of patients with limited stage SCLC because of the high likelihood of early dissemination, including the minority of patients without mediastinal involvement who may be candidates for initial surgical resection. In addition, radiation therapy (RT) is important because local tumor progression occurs in up to 80 percent of patients with limited stage disease treated with chemotherapy alone . (See "Limited stage small cell lung cancer: Initial management".)
Brain metastases are a frequent problem in patients with SCLC, and brain imaging (preferably MRI) is indicated for patients who present with either limited or extensive stage disease . (See "Pathobiology and staging of small cell carcinoma of the lung", section on 'Staging'.)
- Cohen MH, Ihde DC, Bunn PA Jr, et al. Cyclic alternating combination chemotherapy for small cell bronchogenic carcinoma. Cancer Treat Rep 1979; 63:163.
- NCCN guidelines http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp#site (Accessed on April 04, 2013).
- Hochstenbag MM, Twijnstra A, Wilmink JT, et al. Asymptomatic brain metastases (BM) in small cell lung cancer (SCLC): MR-imaging is useful at initial diagnosis. J Neurooncol 2000; 48:243.
- Arriagada R, Le Chevalier T, Borie F, et al. Prophylactic cranial irradiation for patients with small-cell lung cancer in complete remission. J Natl Cancer Inst 1995; 87:183.
- Aupérin A, Arriagada R, Pignon JP, et al. Prophylactic cranial irradiation for patients with small-cell lung cancer in complete remission. Prophylactic Cranial Irradiation Overview Collaborative Group. N Engl J Med 1999; 341:476.
- Meert AP, Paesmans M, Berghmans T, et al. Prophylactic cranial irradiation in small cell lung cancer: a systematic review of the literature with meta-analysis. BMC Cancer 2001; 1:5.
- Slotman B, Faivre-Finn C, Kramer G, et al. Prophylactic cranial irradiation in extensive small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med 2007; 357:664.
- Seto T, Takahashi T, Yamanaka T, et al. Prophylactic cranial irradiation (PCI) has a detrimental effect on the overall survival (OS) of patients (pts) with extensive disease small cell lung cancer (ED-SCLC): Results of a Japanese randomized phase III trial (abstract 7503). 2014 American Society of Clinical Oncology meeting.
- Suwinski R, Lee SP, Withers HR. Dose-response relationship for prophylactic cranial irradiation in small cell lung cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1998; 40:797.
- Le Péchoux C, Dunant A, Senan S, et al. Standard-dose versus higher-dose prophylactic cranial irradiation (PCI) in patients with limited-stage small-cell lung cancer in complete remission after chemotherapy and thoracic radiotherapy (PCI 99-01, EORTC 22003-08004, RTOG 0212, and IFCT 99-01): a randomised clinical trial. Lancet Oncol 2009; 10:467.
- Wolfson AH, Bae K, Komaki R, et al. Primary analysis of a phase II randomized trial Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG) 0212: impact of different total doses and schedules of prophylactic cranial irradiation on chronic neurotoxicity and quality of life for patients with limited-disease small-cell lung cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2011; 81:77.
- Slotman BJ, Mauer ME, Bottomley A, et al. Prophylactic cranial irradiation in extensive disease small-cell lung cancer: short-term health-related quality of life and patient reported symptoms: results of an international Phase III randomized controlled trial by the EORTC Radiation Oncology and Lung Cancer Groups. J Clin Oncol 2009; 27:78.
- Johnson BE, Patronas N, Hayes W, et al. Neurologic, computed cranial tomographic, and magnetic resonance imaging abnormalities in patients with small-cell lung cancer: further follow-up of 6- to 13-year survivors. J Clin Oncol 1990; 8:48.
- Herskovic AM, Orton CG. Elective brain irradiation for small cell anaplastic lung cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1986; 12:427.
- Sheline GE, Wara WM, Smith V. Therapeutic irradiation and brain injury. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1980; 6:1215.
- Ahles TA, Silberfarb PM, Herndon J 2nd, et al. Psychologic and neuropsychologic functioning of patients with limited small-cell lung cancer treated with chemotherapy and radiation therapy with or without warfarin: a study by the Cancer and Leukemia Group B. J Clin Oncol 1998; 16:1954.
- Gregor A, Cull A, Stephens RJ, et al. Prophylactic cranial irradiation is indicated following complete response to induction therapy in small cell lung cancer: results of a multicentre randomised trial. United Kingdom Coordinating Committee for Cancer Research (UKCCCR) and the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC). Eur J Cancer 1997; 33:1752.
- Wolfson AH, Bains Y, Lu J, et al. Twice-daily prophylactic cranial irradiation for patients with limited disease small-cell lung cancer with complete response to chemotherapy and consolidative radiotherapy: report of a single institutional phase II trial. Am J Clin Oncol 2001; 24:290.
- Khuntia D, Brown P, Li J, Mehta MP. Whole-brain radiotherapy in the management of brain metastasis. J Clin Oncol 2006; 24:1295.
- Mehta MP. Models support prophylactic cranial irradiation. J Clin Oncol 2006; 24:3524.