Prevention of lethal opioid overdose in the community
- Phillip Coffin, MD, MIA
Phillip Coffin, MD, MIA
- Director of Substance Use Research
- Center for Public Health Research, San Francisco Department of Public Health
Drug overdose, principally due to opioids, is rising in many developed countries; in the United States, for example, it has been the leading cause of injury-related death since 2009. The incidence of opioid overdose increased dramatically between 1990 and 2010. Opioid overdose is defined as opioid-induced respiratory depression such that assistance is needed to revive the person.
Interventions found to reduce mortality from opioid overdose include: treatment of opioid use disorder with an opioid agonist , provision of naloxone to lay persons , and establishment of a supervised injection facility .
This topic describes prevention of lethal opioid overdose in the community. The epidemiology, pharmacology, screening, assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of opioid use disorder are discussed separately. Management of intoxication and withdrawal from opioids are also discussed separately, as is abuse of prescription drugs.
- Schwartz RP, Gryczynski J, O'Grady KE, et al. Opioid agonist treatments and heroin overdose deaths in Baltimore, Maryland, 1995-2009. Am J Public Health 2013; 103:917.
- Walley AY, Xuan Z, Hackman HH, et al. Opioid overdose rates and implementation of overdose education and nasal naloxone distribution in Massachusetts: interrupted time series analysis. BMJ 2013; 346:f174.
- Marshall BD, Milloy MJ, Wood E, et al. Reduction in overdose mortality after the opening of North America's first medically supervised safer injecting facility: a retrospective population-based study. Lancet 2011; 377:1429.
- UNODC. World Drug Report 2012, Contract No: E.12.XI.1, United Nations Publication, New York 2012.
- Rudd RA, Seth P, David F, Scholl L. Increases in Drug and Opioid-Involved Overdose Deaths - United States, 2010-2015. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2016; 65:1445.
- Hall AJ, Logan JE, Toblin RL, et al. Patterns of abuse among unintentional pharmaceutical overdose fatalities. JAMA 2008; 300:2613.
- Paulozzi LJ, Kilbourne EM, Shah NG, et al. A history of being prescribed controlled substances and risk of drug overdose death. Pain Med 2012; 13:87.
- Dunn KM, Saunders KW, Rutter CM, et al. Opioid prescriptions for chronic pain and overdose: a cohort study. Ann Intern Med 2010; 152:85.
- Bohnert AS, Valenstein M, Bair MJ, et al. Association between opioid prescribing patterns and opioid overdose-related deaths. JAMA 2011; 305:1315.
- Hedegaard H, Chen LH, Warner M. Drug-poisoning deaths involving heroin: United States, 2000-2013. NCHS Data Brief 2015; :1.
- Dart RC, Surratt HL, Cicero TJ, et al. Trends in opioid analgesic abuse and mortality in the United States. N Engl J Med 2015; 372:241.
- Unick GJ, Rosenblum D, Mars S, Ciccarone D. Intertwined epidemics: national demographic trends in hospitalizations for heroin- and opioid-related overdoses, 1993-2009. PLoS One 2013; 8:e54496.
- Rudd RA, Paulozzi LJ, Bauer MJ, et al. Increases in heroin overdose deaths - 28 States, 2010 to 2012. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2014; 63:849.
- Hasegawa K, Espinola JA, Brown DF, Camargo CA Jr. Trends in U.S. emergency department visits for opioid overdose, 1993-2010. Pain Med 2014; 15:1765.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Drug Abuse Warning Network, 2011: National Estimates of Drug-Related Emergency Department Visits. HHS Publication No. (SMA) 13-4760, DAWN Series D-39. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2013.
- Coffin PO, Tracy M, Bucciarelli A, et al. Identifying injection drug users at risk of nonfatal overdose. Acad Emerg Med 2007; 14:616.
- Darke S, Zador D. Fatal heroin 'overdose': a review. Addiction 1996; 91:1765.
- Darke S, Hall W. Heroin overdose: research and evidence-based intervention. J Urban Health 2003; 80:189.
- Darke S, Hall W, Weatherburn D, Lind B. Fluctuations in heroin purity and the incidence of fatal heroin overdose. Drug Alcohol Depend 1999; 54:155.
- Chou R, Turner JA, Devine EB, et al. The effectiveness and risks of long-term opioid therapy for chronic pain: a systematic review for a National Institutes of Health Pathways to Prevention Workshop. Ann Intern Med 2015; 162:276.
- Chaparro LE, Furlan AD, Deshpande A, et al. Opioids compared with placebo or other treatments for chronic low back pain: an update of the Cochrane Review. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2014; 39:556.
- Angst MS, Lazzeroni LC, Phillips NG, et al. Aversive and reinforcing opioid effects: a pharmacogenomic twin study. Anesthesiology 2012; 117:22.
- Dowell D, Haegerich TM, Chou R. CDC Guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain--United States, 2016. JAMA 2016; 315:1624.
- Behar E, Rowe C, Santos GM, et al. Primary Care Patient Experience with Naloxone Prescription. Ann Fam Med 2016; 14:431.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Opioid Overdose Prevention Toolkit. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration; Rockville, MD, 2013.
- Green TC, Heimer R, Grau LE. Distinguishing signs of opioid overdose and indication for naloxone: an evaluation of six overdose training and naloxone distribution programs in the United States. Addiction 2008; 103:979.
- Behar E, Santos GM, Wheeler E, et al. Brief overdose education is sufficient for naloxone distribution to opioid users. Drug Alcohol Depend 2015; 148:209.
- Davis C, Webb D, Burris S. Changing law from barrier to facilitator of opioid overdose prevention. J Law Med Ethics 2013; 41 Suppl 1:33.
- http://www.fda.gov/newsevents/newsroom/pressannouncements/ucm391465.htm (Accessed on April 30, 2014).
- FDA moves quickly to approve easy-to-use nasal spray to treat opioid overdose http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm473505.htm (Accessed on January 11, 2016).
- Giglio RE, Guohua L, DiMaggio CJ. Effectiveness of bystander naloxone administration and overdose education programs: a meta-analysis. Inj Epidemiol 2015; 2:1.
- Wheeler E, Jones TS, Gilbert MK, et al. Opioid Overdose Prevention Programs Providing Naloxone to Laypersons - United States, 2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2015; 64:631.
- Coffin PO, Behar E, Rowe C, et al. Nonrandomized Intervention Study of Naloxone Coprescription for Primary Care Patients Receiving Long-Term Opioid Therapy for Pain. Ann Intern Med 2016; 165:245.
- Enteen L, Bauer J, McLean R, et al. Overdose prevention and naloxone prescription for opioid users in San Francisco. J Urban Health 2010; 87:931.
- Rudolph SS, Jehu G, Nielsen SL, et al. Prehospital treatment of opioid overdose in Copenhagen--is it safe to discharge on-scene? Resuscitation 2011; 82:1414.
- Vilke GM, Sloane C, Smith AM, Chan TC. Assessment for deaths in out-of-hospital heroin overdose patients treated with naloxone who refuse transport. Acad Emerg Med 2003; 10:893.