UpToDate
Official reprint from UpToDate®
www.uptodate.com ©2017 UpToDate, Inc. and/or its affiliates. All Rights Reserved.

Medline ® Abstract for Reference 57

of 'Potentially toxic plant ingestions in children: Clinical manifestations and evaluation'

57
TI
Poison hemlock-induced respiratory failure in a toddler.
AU
West PL, Horowitz BZ, Montanaro MT, Lindsay JN
SO
Pediatr Emerg Care. 2009;25(11):761.
 
The ingestion of poison hemlock, or Conium maculatum, is described in a 2-year-old boy. He had the onset of abdominal pain and weakness after being fed C. maculatum picked by his sister from the roadside 2 hours earlier. He had a rapidly progressive muscular weakness and was intubated for respiratory failure. His symptoms completely resolved within 24 hours of the ingestion. Conium maculatum is a common weed that causes toxicity by its primary toxin, coniine, which stimulates nicotinic receptors and causes a syndrome of rapidly progressive muscle weakness and paralysis. We describe the course of a benign-appearing plant ingestion resulting in respiratory failure.
AD
Oregon Health and Science University, Oregon Poison Center, Legacy Emmanuel Hospital, Mail Code CB 550, Portland, OR 97239, USA. westp@ohsu.edu
PMID