- Stanley W Ashley, MD
Stanley W Ashley, MD
- Section Editor — Pancreatic and Hepatobiliary Surgery
- Chief Medical Officer and Senior Vice President for Clinical Affairs
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- Frank Sawyer Professor of Surgery
- Harvard Medical School
Various forms of gastric resection and reconstruction are used to manage a variety of benign and malignant conditions of the stomach. Similar to any other abdominal surgery, gastric surgery can result in postoperative complications. The complications specific to gastric surgery will be reviewed in this topic. Complications common to all abdominal surgeries, such as bleeding, infection, bowel obstruction, fascia dehiscence, or hernia, are discussed in another topic. (See "Complications of abdominal surgical incisions".)
The derangements in gastrointestinal function that occur following gastric resection depend upon the portion and volume of gastric tissue removed, and the type of reconstruction.
Gastric resection — Gastric resections include (see "Partial gastrectomy and gastrointestinal reconstruction" and "Total gastrectomy and gastrointestinal reconstruction"):
●Partial gastrectomy (proximal or distal)
- Fromm D. Complications of gastric surgery, Wiley, New York 1977.
- Woodfield CA, Levine MS. The postoperative stomach. Eur J Radiol 2005; 53:341.
- TOTTEN HP, JENSEN AL. Complications following subtotal gastrectomy. Calif Med 1956; 84:162.
- Schneider BE, Villegas L, Blackburn GL, et al. Laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery: outcomes. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 2003; 13:247.
- Bolton JS, Conway WC 2nd. Postgastrectomy syndromes. Surg Clin North Am 2011; 91:1105.
- Ballas KD, Rafailidis SE, Konstantinidis HD, et al. Acute afferent loop syndrome: a true emergency. A case report. Acta Chir Belg 2009; 109:101.
- Glasgow, RE, Mulvihill, SJ. Postgastrectomy syndromes. Probl General Surgery 1997; 14:132.
- Vecht J, Gielkens HA, Frölich M, et al. Vasoactive substances in early dumping syndrome: effects of dumping provocation with and without octreotide. Eur J Clin Invest 1997; 27:680.
- Eagon JC, Miedema BW, Kelly KA. Postgastrectomy syndromes. Surg Clin North Am 1992; 72:445.
- Miedema BW, Kelly KA. The Roux operation for postgastrectomy syndromes. Am J Surg 1991; 161:256.
- Berg P, McCallum R. Dumping Syndrome: A Review of the Current Concepts of Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, and Treatment. Dig Dis Sci 2016; 61:11.
- Arts J, Caenepeel P, Bisschops R, et al. Efficacy of the long-acting repeatable formulation of the somatostatin analogue octreotide in postoperative dumping. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2009; 7:432.
- Jung HJ, Lee JH, Ryu KW, et al. The influence of reconstruction methods on food retention phenomenon in the remnant stomach after a subtotal gastrectomy. J Surg Oncol 2008; 98:11.
- Speicher JE, Thirlby RC, Burggraaf J, et al. Results of completion gastrectomies in 44 patients with postsurgical gastric atony. J Gastrointest Surg 2009; 13:874.
- Osugi H, Fukuhara K, Takada N, et al. Reconstructive procedure after distal gastrectomy to prevent remnant gastritis. Hepatogastroenterology 2004; 51:1215.
- Miedema BW, Kelly KA, Camilleri M, et al. Human gastric and jejunal transit and motility after Roux gastrojejunostomy. Gastroenterology 1992; 103:1133.
- Turnage RH, Sarosi G, Cryer B, et al. Evaluation and management of patients with recurrent peptic ulcer disease after acid-reducing operations: a systematic review. J Gastrointest Surg 2003; 7:606.
- Ingvar C, Adami HO, Enander LK, et al. Clinical results of reoperation after failed highly selective vagotomy. Am J Surg 1986; 152:308.
- Greene FL. Management of gastric remnant carcinoma based on the results of a 15-year endoscopic screening program. Ann Surg 1996; 223:701.
- Goodman P, Levine MS, Gohil MN. Gastric carcinoma after gastrojejunostomy for benign disease: radiographic findings. Gastrointest Radiol 1992; 17:211.
- HELSINGEN N, HILLESTAD L. Cancer development in the gastric stump after partial gastrectomy for ulcer. Ann Surg 1956; 143:173.
- Domellöf L, Janunger KG. The risk for gastric carcinoma after partial gastrectomy. Am J Surg 1977; 134:581.
- Schuman BM, Waldbaum JR, Hiltz SW. Carcinoma of the gastric remnant in a U.S. population. Gastrointest Endosc 1984; 30:71.
- Viste A, Bjørnestad E, Opheim P, et al. Risk of carcinoma following gastric operations for benign disease. A historical cohort study of 3470 patients. Lancet 1986; 2:502.
- Lundegårdh G, Adami HO, Helmick C, et al. Stomach cancer after partial gastrectomy for benign ulcer disease. N Engl J Med 1988; 319:195.
- Gandolfi L, Vaira D, Bertoni F, et al. Cancer of the gastric stump in Italy, 1979-1986. Gastrointest Endosc 1988; 34:242.
- Greene FL. Gastroscopic screening of the post-gastrectomy stomach. Relationship of dysplasia to remnant cancer. Am Surg 1989; 55:12.
- Staël von Holstein C, Eriksson S, Huldt B, Hammar E. Endoscopic screening during 17 years for gastric stump carcinoma. A prospective clinical trial. Scand J Gastroenterol 1991; 26:1020.
- Møller H, Toftgaard C. Cancer occurrence in a cohort of patients surgically treated for peptic ulcer. Gut 1991; 32:740.
- Schafer LW, Larson DE, Melton LJ 3rd, et al. The risk of gastric carcinoma after surgical treatment for benign ulcer disease. A population-based study in Olmsted County, Minnesota. N Engl J Med 1983; 309:1210.
- Ross AH, Smith MA, Anderson JR, Small WP. Late mortality after surgery for peptic ulcer. N Engl J Med 1982; 307:519.
- La Vecchia C, Negri E, D'Avanzo B, et al. Partial gastrectomy and subsequent gastric cancer risk. J Epidemiol Community Health 1992; 46:12.
- Sharma D. Choice of digestive tract reconstructive procedure following total gastrectomy: A critical reappraisal. Indian J Surg 2004; 66:270.
- Marcinowska-Suchowierska EB, Tałałaj MJ, Włodarcyzk AW, et al. Calcium/phosphate/vitamin D homeostasis and bone mass in patients after gastrectomy, vagotomy, and cholecystectomy. World J Surg 1995; 19:597.
- Elsborg L. Malabsorption of folic acid following partial gastrectomy. Scand J Gastroenterol 1974; 9:271.
- Kimber C, Patterson JF, Weintraub LR. The pathogenesis of iron deficiency anemia following partial gastrectomy. A study of iron balance. JAMA 1967; 202:935.
- POSTGASTRECTOMY ANATOMY
- Gastric resection
- DIAGNOSING POSTGASTRECTOMY COMPLICATIONS
- COMPLICATIONS RELATED TO ANASTOMOSIS
- - Duodenal stump leak
- - Afferent and efferent loop syndrome
- - Jejunal intussusception
- - Internal hernia
- Marginal ulcer
- COMPLICATIONS RELATED TO MOTILITY
- Rapid transit
- - Dumping syndrome
- - Postvagotomy diarrhea
- Slow transit
- - Gastric stasis
- - Alkaline gastritis
- - Roux stasis syndrome
- LONG-TERM COMPLICATIONS INVOLVING REMNANT STOMACH
- Peptic ulcer
- Remnant cancer
- NUTRITIONAL DEFICIENCIES
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS