Pneumothorax in HIV-infected patients
- Patricia A Tietjen, MD
Patricia A Tietjen, MD
- Professor of Clinical Medicine
- New York Medical College
- Section Editors
- John G Bartlett, MD
John G Bartlett, MD
- Editor-in-Chief — Infectious Diseases
- Section Editor — HIV; Pulmonary Infections
- Professor Emeritus
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- V Courtney Broaddus, MD
V Courtney Broaddus, MD
- Section Editor — Pleural Disease
- Professor of Medicine
- University of California San Francisco
Pneumothorax is an uncommon but potentially fatal complication of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection [1-6]. Pneumothorax complicated 1.2 percent of all hospital admissions in a cohort of 599 HIV-infected patients followed over three years in a prospective observational study . In this report, development of a pneumothorax was associated with a significant increase in in-hospital mortality (31 versus 6 percent for patients without pneumothorax).
Causes of pneumothorax in HIV-infected individuals include Pneumocystis jirovecii pneumonia (PCP) [3,4,6-17], iatrogenic pneumothorax , Kaposi's sarcoma , intravenous drug abuse , toxoplasmosis , and bacterial, fungal, viral, and mycobacterial infections [1-4,21-23].
An overview of pneumothorax in HIV-infected patients will be presented here. Reviews of the etiology and treatment of primary and secondary spontaneous pneumothorax are presented separately. (See "Primary spontaneous pneumothorax in adults" and "Secondary spontaneous pneumothorax in adults".)
Although the cause of pneumothorax in patients with Pneumocystis jirovecii pneumonia (PCP) is unclear, the major hypotheses have focused on tissue necrosis produced by the organism and a possible role of prophylactic treatment with aerosolized pentamidine.
Pneumocystis jirovecii — Several investigators believe that extensive tissue invasion within the alveolar interstitium is common in severe PCP, and is an important factor in causing necrosis and subsequent pneumothorax [24-28]. The following observations illustrate this point:To continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Afessa B. Pleural effusion and pneumothorax in hospitalized patients with HIV infection: the Pulmonary Complications, ICU support, and Prognostic Factors of Hospitalized Patients with HIV (PIP) Study. Chest 2000; 117:1031.
- Afessa B. Pleural effusions and pneumothoraces in AIDS. Curr Opin Pulm Med 2001; 7:202.
- Beck JM. Pleural disease in patients with acquired immune deficiency syndrome. Clin Chest Med 1998; 19:341.
- Sepkowitz KA, Telzak EE, Gold JW, et al. Pneumothorax in AIDS. Ann Intern Med 1991; 114:455.
- Radhi S, Alexander T, Ukwu M, et al. Outcome of HIV-associated Pneumocystis pneumonia in hospitalized patients from 2000 through 2003. BMC Infect Dis 2008; 8:118.
- Coker RJ, Moss F, Peters B, et al. Pneumothorax in patients with AIDS. Respir Med 1993; 87:43.
- Byrnes TA, Brevig JK, Yeoh CB. Pneumothorax in patients with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1989; 98:546.
- Renzi PM, Corbeil C, Chassé M, et al. Bilateral pneumothoraces hasten mortality in AIDS patients receiving secondary prophylaxis with aerosolized pentamidine. Association with a lower Dco prior to receiving aerosolized pentamidine. Chest 1992; 102:491.
- McClellan MD, Miller SB, Parsons PE, Cohn DL. Pneumothorax with Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in AIDS. Incidence and clinical characteristics. Chest 1991; 100:1224.
- Newsome GS, Ward DJ, Pierce PF. Spontaneous pneumothorax in patients with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome treated with prophylactic aerosolized pentamidine. Arch Intern Med 1990; 150:2167.
- Shanley DJ, Luyckx BA, Haggerty MF, Murphy TF. Spontaneous pneumothorax in AIDS patients with recurrent Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia despite aerosolized pentamidine prophylaxis. Chest 1991; 99:502.
- Jules-Elysee KM, Stover DE, Zaman MB, et al. Aerosolized pentamidine: effect on diagnosis and presentation of Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia. Ann Intern Med 1990; 112:750.
- Crawford BK, Galloway AC, Boyd AD, Spencer FC. Treatment of AIDS-related bronchopleural fistula by pleurectomy. Ann Thorac Surg 1992; 54:212.
- Gerein AN, Brumwell ML, Lawson LM, et al. Surgical management of pneumothorax in patients with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Arch Surg 1991; 126:1272.
- Goodman PC, Daley C, Minagi H. Spontaneous pneumothorax in AIDS patients with Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1986; 147:29.
- Fleisher AG, McElvaney G, Lawson L, et al. Surgical management of spontaneous pneumothorax in patients with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Ann Thorac Surg 1988; 45:21.
- Hoyt TL, Tarver RD. HIV, Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia, and pneumothoraces. Semin Respir Infect 2002; 17:315.
- Cabrera-Cordero JA, Adefna-Pérez RI, Leal-Mursulí A, et al. [Pneumothorax in human immunodeficiency virus infected patients]. Cir Esp 2008; 84:221.
- Floris C, Sulis ML, Bernascani M, et al. Pneumothorax in pleuropulmonary Kaposi's sarcoma related to acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Am J Med 1989; 87:123.
- Gurney JW, Bates FT. Pulmonary cystic disease: comparison of Pneumocystis carinii pneumatoceles and bullous emphysema due to intravenous drug abuse. Radiology 1989; 173:27.
- Doppman JL, Geelhoed GW, De Vita VT. Atypical radiographic features in Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia. Radiology 1975; 114:39.
- Páldy L, Ivády G. Roentgenologic diagnosis of interstitial plasma cell pneumonia in infancy. Natl Cancer Inst Monogr 1976; 43:99.
- Rivero A, Perez-Camacho I, Lozano F, et al. Etiology of spontaneous pneumothorax in 105 HIV-infected patients without highly active antiretroviral therapy. Eur J Radiol 2009; 71:264.
- Murry CE, Schmidt RA. Tissue invasion by Pneumocystis carinii: a possible cause of cavitary pneumonia and pneumothorax. Hum Pathol 1992; 23:1380.
- Saldana MJ, Mones JM. Cavitation and other atypical manifestations of Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia. Semin Diagn Pathol 1989; 6:273.
- Travis WD, Pittaluga S, Lipschik GY, et al. Atypical pathologic manifestations of Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in the acquired immune deficiency syndrome. Review of 123 lung biopsies from 76 patients with emphasis on cysts, vascular invasion, vasculitis, and granulomas. Am J Surg Pathol 1990; 14:615.
- Liu YC, Tomashefski JF Jr, Tomford JW, Green H. Necrotizing Pneumocystis carinii vasculitis associated with lung necrosis and cavitation in a patient with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Arch Pathol Lab Med 1989; 113:494.
- Balachandran I, Jones DB, Humphrey DM. A case of Pneumocystis carinii in pleural fluid with cytologic, histologic and ultrastructural documentation. Acta Cytol 1990; 34:486.
- Eng RH, Bishburg E, Smith SM. Evidence for destruction of lung tissues during Pneumocystis carinii infection. Arch Intern Med 1987; 147:746.
- Gutierrez Y. The biology of Pneumocystis carinii. Semin Diagn Pathol 1989; 6:203.
- Metersky ML, Colt HG, Olson LK, Shanks TG. AIDS-related spontaneous pneumothorax. Risk factors and treatment. Chest 1995; 108:946.
- Bense L, Eklund G, Wiman LG. Smoking and the increased risk of contracting spontaneous pneumothorax. Chest 1987; 92:1009.
- Tumbarello M, Tacconelli E, Pirronti T, et al. Pneumothorax in HIV-infected patients: role of Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia and pulmonary tuberculosis. Eur Respir J 1997; 10:1332.
- Trachiotis GD, Vricella LA, Alyono D, et al. Management of AIDS-related pneumothorax. Ann Thorac Surg 1996; 62:1608.
- Vricella LA, Trachiotis GD. Heimlich valve in the management of pneumothorax in patients with advanced AIDS. Chest 2001; 120:15.
- Driver AG, Peden JG, Adams HG, Rumley RL. Heimlich valve treatment of Pneumocystis carinii-associated pneumothorax. Chest 1991; 100:281.
- Kimmel RD, Karp MP, Cascone JJ, Zinns JS. Talc pleurodesis during videothoracoscopy for Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia-related pneumothorax. A new technique. Chest 1994; 105:314.
- Slabbynck H, Kovitz KL, Vialette JP, et al. Thoracoscopic findings in spontaneous pneumothorax in AIDS. Chest 1994; 106:1582.
- Horowitz MD, Oliva H. Pneumothorax in AIDS patients: operative management. Am Surg 1993; 59:200.
- Busch E, Barlam BW, Wallace J, Nealon TF. Intrapleural tetracycline for spontaneous pneumothorax in acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Chest 1991; 99:1036.
- Read CA, Reddy VD, O'Mara TE, Richardson MS. Doxycycline pleurodesis for pneumothorax in patients with AIDS. Chest 1994; 105:823.
- Hnatiuk OW, Dillard TA, Oster CN. Bleomycin sclerotherapy for bilateral pneumothoraces in a patient with AIDS. Ann Intern Med 1990; 113:988.
- Tunon-de-Lara JM, Constans J, Vincent MP, et al. Spontaneous pneumothorax associated with Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia. Successful treatment with talc pleurodesis. Chest 1992; 101:1177.