Placement and maintenance of the peritoneal dialysis catheter
- Jean L Holley, MD, FACP
Jean L Holley, MD, FACP
- Clinical Professor of Medicine
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- Section Editor
- Thomas A Golper, MD
Thomas A Golper, MD
- Section Editor — Dialysis
- Professor of Medicine
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center
The main function of a peritoneal dialysis catheter is to permit consistent, bidirectional flow of dialysate without extraordinary effort or undue discomfort . The catheter's function depends upon its design, implantation site, and the configuration of the system used to perform dialysis exchanges.
The principles governing the choice, placement, and maintenance of a peritoneal dialysis catheter are reviewed here. Other aspects of using a peritoneal dialysis catheter are discussed elsewhere, including:
●Noninfectious complications of peritoneal dialysis catheters (see "Noninfectious complications of peritoneal dialysis catheters")
●Catheter exit-site infection (see "Tunnel and peritoneal catheter exit site infections in continuous peritoneal dialysis")
●Urgent-start peritoneal dialysis (see "Urgent-start peritoneal dialysis")To continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Cruz C. The peritoneal dialysis catheter. Semin Dial 1995; 8:103.
- Lee HB, Park MS, Cha MK, et al. The peritoneal access. Perit Dial Int 1996; 16 Suppl 1:S322.
- Gokal R, Alexander S, Ash S, et al. Peritoneal catheters and exit-site practices toward optimum peritoneal access: 1998 update. (Official report from the International Society for Peritoneal Dialysis). Perit Dial Int 1998; 18:11.
- Teitelbaum I, Burkart J. Peritoneal dialysis. Am J Kidney Dis 2003; 42:1082.
- Piraino B. Which catheter is the best buy? Perit Dial Int 1995; 15:303.
- Eklund BH, Honkanen EO, Kala AR, Kyllönen LE. Peritoneal dialysis access: prospective randomized comparison of the Swan neck and Tenckhoff catheters. Perit Dial Int 1995; 15:353.
- Li PK, Szeto CC, Piraino B, et al. ISPD Peritonitis Recommendations: 2016 Update on Prevention and Treatment. Perit Dial Int 2016; 36:481.
- Wallace EL, Fissell RB, Golper TA, et al. Catheter Insertion and Perioperative Practices Within the ISPD North American Research Consortium. Perit Dial Int 2016; 36:382.
- Hagen SM, Lafranca JA, Ĳzermans JN, Dor FJ. A systematic review and meta-analysis of the influence of peritoneal dialysis catheter type on complication rate and catheter survival. Kidney Int 2014; 85:920.
- Johnson DW, Wong J, Wiggins KJ, et al. A randomized controlled trial of coiled versus straight swan-neck Tenckhoff catheters in peritoneal dialysis patients. Am J Kidney Dis 2006; 48:812.
- Xie J, Kiryluk K, Ren H, et al. Coiled versus straight peritoneal dialysis catheters: a randomized controlled trial and meta-analysis. Am J Kidney Dis 2011; 58:946.
- Strippoli GF, Tong A, Johnson D, et al. Catheter-related interventions to prevent peritonitis in peritoneal dialysis: a systematic review of randomized, controlled trials. J Am Soc Nephrol 2004; 15:2735.
- Flanigan M, Gokal R. Peritoneal catheters and exit-site practices toward optimum peritoneal access: a review of current developments. Perit Dial Int 2005; 25:132.
- Warady BA, Sullivan EK, Alexander SR. Lessons from the peritoneal dialysis patient database: a report of the North American Pediatric Renal Transplant Cooperative Study. Kidney Int Suppl 1996; 53:S68.
- Cavagna R, Tessarin C, Tarroni G, et al. The self-locating catheter: clinical evaluation and comparison with the Tenckhoff catheter. Perit Dial Int 1999; 19:540.
- Sanchez-Canel JJ, Garcia-Perez H, Garcia-Calvo R, et al. Prospective Randomized Study Comparing a Single-Cuff Self-Locating Catheter with a Single-Cuff Straight Tenckhoff Catheter in Peritoneal Dialysis. Perit Dial Int 2016; 36:52.
- Di Paolo N, Capotondo L, Sansoni E, et al. The self-locating catheter: clinical experience and follow-up. Perit Dial Int 2004; 24:359.
- Crabtree JH, Burchette RJ, Siddiqi NA. Optimal peritoneal dialysis catheter type and exit site location: an anthropometric analysis. ASAIO J 2005; 51:743.
- Crabtree JH. Selected best demonstrated practices in peritoneal dialysis access. Kidney Int Suppl 2006; :S27.
- Ash SR. Chronic peritoneal dialysis catheters: overview of design, placement, and removal procedures. Semin Dial 2003; 16:323.
- Crabtree JH, Chow KM. Peritoneal Dialysis Catheter Insertion. Semin Nephrol 2017; 37:17.
- Crabtree JH, Fishman A, Siddiqi RA, Hadnott LL. The risk of infection and peritoneal catheter loss from implant procedure exit-site trauma. Perit Dial Int 1999; 19:366.
- Szeto CC, Li PK, Johnson DW, et al. ISPD Catheter-Related Infection Recommendations: 2017 Update. Perit Dial Int 2017; 37:141.
- Keane WF, Alexander SR, Bailie GR, et al. Peritoneal dialysis-related peritonitis treatment recommendations: 1996 update. Perit Dial Int 1996; 16:557.
- Wikdahl AM, Engman U, Stegmayr BG, Sörenssen JG. One-dose cefuroxime i.v. and i.p. reduces microbial growth in PD patients after catheter insertion. Nephrol Dial Transplant 1997; 12:157.
- Strippoli GF, Tong A, Johnson D, et al. Antimicrobial agents to prevent peritonitis in peritoneal dialysis: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Am J Kidney Dis 2004; 44:591.
- Bennett-Jones DN, Martin J, Barratt AJ, et al. Prophylactic gentamicin in the prevention of early exit-site infections and peritonitis in CAPD. Adv Perit Dial 1988; 4:147.
- Gadallah MF, Ramdeen G, Mignone J, et al. Role of preoperative antibiotic prophylaxis in preventing postoperative peritonitis in newly placed peritoneal dialysis catheters. Am J Kidney Dis 2000; 36:1014.
- Dombros N, Dratwa M, Feriani M, et al. European best practice guidelines for peritoneal dialysis. 2 The initiation of dialysis. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2005; 20 Suppl 9:ix3.
- Piraino B, Bailie GR, Bernardini J, et al. Peritoneal dialysis-related infections recommendations: 2005 update. Perit Dial Int 2005; 25:107.
- Keane WF, Bailie GR, Boeschoten E, et al. Adult peritoneal dialysis-related peritonitis treatment recommendations: 2000 update. Perit Dial Int 2000; 20:396.
- Berns JS, Tokars JI. Preventing bacterial infections and antimicrobial resistance in dialysis patients. Am J Kidney Dis 2002; 40:886.
- Nasal mupirocin prevents Staphylococcus aureus exit-site infection during peritoneal dialysis. Mupirocin Study Group. J Am Soc Nephrol 1996; 7:2403.
- Twardowski ZJ, Prowant BF, Pickett B, et al. Four-year experience with swan neck presternal peritoneal dialysis catheter. Am J Kidney Dis 1996; 27:99.
- Copley JB, Lindberg JS, Back SN, Tapia NP. Peritoneoscopic placement of Swan neck peritoneal dialysis catheters. Perit Dial Int 1996; 16 Suppl 1:S330.
- Moncrief JW, Popovich RP, Seare W, et al. Peritoneal dialysis access technology: the Austin Diagnostic Clinic experience. Perit Dial Int 1996; 16 Suppl 1:S327.
- Veys N, Biesen WV, Vanholder R, Lameire N. Peritoneal dialysis catheters: the beauty of simplicity or the glamour of technicality? Percutaneous vs surgical placement. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2002; 17:210.
- Crabtree JH, Fishman A. A laparoscopic method for optimal peritoneal dialysis access. Am Surg 2005; 71:135.
- Moon JY, Song S, Jung KH, et al. Fluoroscopically guided peritoneal dialysis catheter placement: long-term results from a single center. Perit Dial Int 2008; 28:163.
- Abdel-Aal AK, Dybbro P, Hathaway P, et al. Best practices consensus protocol for peritoneal dialysis catheter placement by interventional radiologists. Perit Dial Int 2014; 34:481.
- Golper TA, Brier ME, Bunke M, et al. Risk factors for peritonitis in long-term peritoneal dialysis: the Network 9 peritonitis and catheter survival studies. Academic Subcommittee of the Steering Committee of the Network 9 Peritonitis and Catheter Survival Studies. Am J Kidney Dis 1996; 28:428.
- Wright MJ, Bel'eed K, Johnson BF, et al. Randomized prospective comparison of laparoscopic and open peritoneal dialysis catheter insertion. Perit Dial Int 1999; 19:372.
- Crabtree JH, Fishman A. A laparoscopic approach under local anesthesia for peritoneal dialysis access. Perit Dial Int 2000; 20:757.
- Hagen SM, Lafranca JA, Steyerberg EW, et al. Laparoscopic versus open peritoneal dialysis catheter insertion: a meta-analysis. PLoS One 2013; 8:e56351.
- Danielsson A, Blohmé L, Tranaeus A, Hylander B. A prospective randomized study of the effect of a subcutaneously "buried" peritoneal dialysis catheter technique versus standard technique on the incidence of peritonitis and exit-site infection. Perit Dial Int 2002; 22:211.
- Wu CC, Su PF, Chiang SS. A prospective study to compare subcutaneously buried peritoneal dialysis catheter technique with conventional technique. Blood Purif 2007; 25:229.
- Brown PA, McCormick BB, Knoll G, et al. Complications and catheter survival with prolonged embedding of peritoneal dialysis catheters. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2008; 23:2299.
- Warchol S, Roszkowska-Blaim M, Sieniawska M. Swan neck presternal peritoneal dialysis catheter: five-year experience in children. Perit Dial Int 1998; 18:183.
- Twardowski ZJ, Prowant BF, Nichols WK, et al. Six-year experience with Swan neck presternal peritoneal dialysis catheter. Perit Dial Int 1998; 18:598.
- Perl J, Davies SJ, Lambie M, et al. The Peritoneal Dialysis Outcomes and Practice Patterns Study (PDOPPS): Unifying Efforts to Inform Practice and Improve Global Outcomes in Peritoneal Dialysis. Perit Dial Int 2016; 36:297.
- Ghaffari A. Urgent-start peritoneal dialysis: a quality improvement report. Am J Kidney Dis 2012; 59:400.
- Arramreddy R, Zheng S, Saxena AB, et al. Urgent-start peritoneal dialysis: a chance for a new beginning. Am J Kidney Dis 2014; 63:390.
- ABDOMINAL CATHETER
- Choosing a catheter
- Placing a catheter
- - Exit-site location
- - Exit-site size
- - Prophylactic antibiotics
- - Pre-placement laxatives
- - Insertion techniques
- Open surgery
- PRESTERNAL CATHETER
- POST-PLACEMENT CATHETER CARE
- TEMPORARY CATHETER
- INFORMATION FOR PATIENTS
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS