Placement and maintenance of the peritoneal dialysis catheter
- Jean L Holley, MD, FACP
Jean L Holley, MD, FACP
- Clinical Professor of Medicine
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- Section Editor
- Thomas A Golper, MD
Thomas A Golper, MD
- Section Editor — Dialysis
- Professor of Medicine
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center
The main function of a peritoneal dialysis catheter is to permit consistent, bidirectional flow of dialysate without extraordinary effort or undue discomfort . The catheter's function depends upon its design, implantation site, and the configuration of the system used to perform dialysis exchanges.
The principles governing the choice, placement, and maintenance of a peritoneal dialysis catheter are reviewed here. Other aspects of using a peritoneal dialysis catheter are discussed elsewhere, including:
●Noninfectious complications of peritoneal dialysis catheters (see "Noninfectious complications of peritoneal dialysis catheters")
●Catheter exit-site infection (see "Tunnel and peritoneal catheter exit site infections in continuous peritoneal dialysis")
●Urgent-start peritoneal dialysis (see "Urgent-start peritoneal dialysis")
- Cruz C. The peritoneal dialysis catheter. Semin Dial 1995; 8:103.
- Lee HB, Park MS, Cha MK, et al. The peritoneal access. Perit Dial Int 1996; 16 Suppl 1:S322.
- Gokal R, Alexander S, Ash S, et al. Peritoneal catheters and exit-site practices toward optimum peritoneal access: 1998 update. (Official report from the International Society for Peritoneal Dialysis). Perit Dial Int 1998; 18:11.
- Teitelbaum I, Burkart J. Peritoneal dialysis. Am J Kidney Dis 2003; 42:1082.
- Piraino B. Which catheter is the best buy? Perit Dial Int 1995; 15:303.
- Eklund BH, Honkanen EO, Kala AR, Kyllönen LE. Peritoneal dialysis access: prospective randomized comparison of the Swan neck and Tenckhoff catheters. Perit Dial Int 1995; 15:353.
- Piraino B, Bailie GR, Bernardini J, et al. Peritoneal dialysis-related infections recommendations: 2005 update. Perit Dial Int 2005; 25:107.
- Wallace EL, Fissell RB, Golper TA, et al. Catheter Insertion and Perioperative Practices Within the ISPD North American Research Consortium. Perit Dial Int 2016; 36:382.
- Hagen SM, Lafranca JA, Ĳzermans JN, Dor FJ. A systematic review and meta-analysis of the influence of peritoneal dialysis catheter type on complication rate and catheter survival. Kidney Int 2014; 85:920.
- Johnson DW, Wong J, Wiggins KJ, et al. A randomized controlled trial of coiled versus straight swan-neck Tenckhoff catheters in peritoneal dialysis patients. Am J Kidney Dis 2006; 48:812.
- Xie J, Kiryluk K, Ren H, et al. Coiled versus straight peritoneal dialysis catheters: a randomized controlled trial and meta-analysis. Am J Kidney Dis 2011; 58:946.
- Strippoli GF, Tong A, Johnson D, et al. Catheter-related interventions to prevent peritonitis in peritoneal dialysis: a systematic review of randomized, controlled trials. J Am Soc Nephrol 2004; 15:2735.
- Flanigan M, Gokal R. Peritoneal catheters and exit-site practices toward optimum peritoneal access: a review of current developments. Perit Dial Int 2005; 25:132.
- Warady BA, Sullivan EK, Alexander SR. Lessons from the peritoneal dialysis patient database: a report of the North American Pediatric Renal Transplant Cooperative Study. Kidney Int Suppl 1996; 53:S68.
- Cavagna R, Tessarin C, Tarroni G, et al. The self-locating catheter: clinical evaluation and comparison with the Tenckhoff catheter. Perit Dial Int 1999; 19:540.
- Sanchez-Canel JJ, Garcia-Perez H, Garcia-Calvo R, et al. Prospective Randomized Study Comparing a Single-Cuff Self-Locating Catheter with a Single-Cuff Straight Tenckhoff Catheter in Peritoneal Dialysis. Perit Dial Int 2016; 36:52.
- Di Paolo N, Capotondo L, Sansoni E, et al. The self-locating catheter: clinical experience and follow-up. Perit Dial Int 2004; 24:359.
- Crabtree JH, Burchette RJ, Siddiqi NA. Optimal peritoneal dialysis catheter type and exit site location: an anthropometric analysis. ASAIO J 2005; 51:743.
- Crabtree JH. Selected best demonstrated practices in peritoneal dialysis access. Kidney Int Suppl 2006; :S27.
- Ash SR. Chronic peritoneal dialysis catheters: overview of design, placement, and removal procedures. Semin Dial 2003; 16:323.
- Crabtree JH, Chow KM. Peritoneal Dialysis Catheter Insertion. Semin Nephrol 2017; 37:17.
- Crabtree JH, Fishman A, Siddiqi RA, Hadnott LL. The risk of infection and peritoneal catheter loss from implant procedure exit-site trauma. Perit Dial Int 1999; 19:366.
- Keane WF, Alexander SR, Bailie GR, et al. Peritoneal dialysis-related peritonitis treatment recommendations: 1996 update. Perit Dial Int 1996; 16:557.
- Wikdahl AM, Engman U, Stegmayr BG, Sörenssen JG. One-dose cefuroxime i.v. and i.p. reduces microbial growth in PD patients after catheter insertion. Nephrol Dial Transplant 1997; 12:157.
- Strippoli GF, Tong A, Johnson D, et al. Antimicrobial agents to prevent peritonitis in peritoneal dialysis: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Am J Kidney Dis 2004; 44:591.
- Bennett-Jones DN, Martin J, Barratt AJ, et al. Prophylactic gentamicin in the prevention of early exit-site infections and peritonitis in CAPD. Adv Perit Dial 1988; 4:147.
- Gadallah MF, Ramdeen G, Mignone J, et al. Role of preoperative antibiotic prophylaxis in preventing postoperative peritonitis in newly placed peritoneal dialysis catheters. Am J Kidney Dis 2000; 36:1014.
- Dombros N, Dratwa M, Feriani M, et al. European best practice guidelines for peritoneal dialysis. 2 The initiation of dialysis. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2005; 20 Suppl 9:ix3.
- Keane WF, Bailie GR, Boeschoten E, et al. Adult peritoneal dialysis-related peritonitis treatment recommendations: 2000 update. Perit Dial Int 2000; 20:396.
- Berns JS, Tokars JI. Preventing bacterial infections and antimicrobial resistance in dialysis patients. Am J Kidney Dis 2002; 40:886.
- Twardowski ZJ, Prowant BF, Pickett B, et al. Four-year experience with swan neck presternal peritoneal dialysis catheter. Am J Kidney Dis 1996; 27:99.
- Copley JB, Lindberg JS, Back SN, Tapia NP. Peritoneoscopic placement of Swan neck peritoneal dialysis catheters. Perit Dial Int 1996; 16 Suppl 1:S330.
- Moncrief JW, Popovich RP, Seare W, et al. Peritoneal dialysis access technology: the Austin Diagnostic Clinic experience. Perit Dial Int 1996; 16 Suppl 1:S327.
- Veys N, Biesen WV, Vanholder R, Lameire N. Peritoneal dialysis catheters: the beauty of simplicity or the glamour of technicality? Percutaneous vs surgical placement. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2002; 17:210.
- Crabtree JH, Fishman A. A laparoscopic method for optimal peritoneal dialysis access. Am Surg 2005; 71:135.
- Moon JY, Song S, Jung KH, et al. Fluoroscopically guided peritoneal dialysis catheter placement: long-term results from a single center. Perit Dial Int 2008; 28:163.
- Abdel-Aal AK, Dybbro P, Hathaway P, et al. Best practices consensus protocol for peritoneal dialysis catheter placement by interventional radiologists. Perit Dial Int 2014; 34:481.
- Golper TA, Brier ME, Bunke M, et al. Risk factors for peritonitis in long-term peritoneal dialysis: the Network 9 peritonitis and catheter survival studies. Academic Subcommittee of the Steering Committee of the Network 9 Peritonitis and Catheter Survival Studies. Am J Kidney Dis 1996; 28:428.
- Wright MJ, Bel'eed K, Johnson BF, et al. Randomized prospective comparison of laparoscopic and open peritoneal dialysis catheter insertion. Perit Dial Int 1999; 19:372.
- Crabtree JH, Fishman A. A laparoscopic approach under local anesthesia for peritoneal dialysis access. Perit Dial Int 2000; 20:757.
- Hagen SM, Lafranca JA, Steyerberg EW, et al. Laparoscopic versus open peritoneal dialysis catheter insertion: a meta-analysis. PLoS One 2013; 8:e56351.
- Danielsson A, Blohmé L, Tranaeus A, Hylander B. A prospective randomized study of the effect of a subcutaneously "buried" peritoneal dialysis catheter technique versus standard technique on the incidence of peritonitis and exit-site infection. Perit Dial Int 2002; 22:211.
- Wu CC, Su PF, Chiang SS. A prospective study to compare subcutaneously buried peritoneal dialysis catheter technique with conventional technique. Blood Purif 2007; 25:229.
- Brown PA, McCormick BB, Knoll G, et al. Complications and catheter survival with prolonged embedding of peritoneal dialysis catheters. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2008; 23:2299.
- Warchol S, Roszkowska-Blaim M, Sieniawska M. Swan neck presternal peritoneal dialysis catheter: five-year experience in children. Perit Dial Int 1998; 18:183.
- Twardowski ZJ, Prowant BF, Nichols WK, et al. Six-year experience with Swan neck presternal peritoneal dialysis catheter. Perit Dial Int 1998; 18:598.
- Perl J, Davies SJ, Lambie M, et al. The Peritoneal Dialysis Outcomes and Practice Patterns Study (PDOPPS): Unifying Efforts to Inform Practice and Improve Global Outcomes in Peritoneal Dialysis. Perit Dial Int 2016; 36:297.
- Ghaffari A. Urgent-start peritoneal dialysis: a quality improvement report. Am J Kidney Dis 2012; 59:400.
- Arramreddy R, Zheng S, Saxena AB, et al. Urgent-start peritoneal dialysis: a chance for a new beginning. Am J Kidney Dis 2014; 63:390.
- ABDOMINAL CATHETER
- Choosing a catheter
- Placing a catheter
- - Exit-site location
- - Exit-site size
- - Prophylactic antibiotics
- - Pre-placement laxatives
- - Insertion techniques
- Open surgery
- PRESTERNAL CATHETER
- POST-PLACEMENT CATHETER CARE
- TEMPORARY CATHETER
- INFORMATION FOR PATIENTS
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS