Physiology and clinical use of heliox
- David J Feller-Kopman, MD
David J Feller-Kopman, MD
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Robert Hallowell, MD
Robert Hallowell, MD
- Instructor of Medicine
- Harvard Medical School
Helium is an inert, nontoxic gas that is lower in density than nitrogen and oxygen and second only to hydrogen in universal abundance. Discovered in the late 19th century, the first clinical use of helium is indicated by a patent filed by Charles Cook in 1923 for the use of a helium and oxygen mixture (heliox) to decrease the risk of decompression sickness in divers. In 1934, Barach first described the airway physiology of breathing heliox and advocated for its use in a variety of diseases . Heliox has been revisited over the years as a potential therapeutic option for a variety of upper and lower airway conditions.
The physiology and clinical applications of helium-oxygen mixtures in patients with pulmonary disease will be reviewed here. The general management of central airway obstruction is discussed separately. (See "Clinical presentation, diagnostic evaluation, and management of central airway obstruction in adults".)
Therapeutic interventions to improve ventilation often aim to increase static compliance (lung stiffness), decrease airway resistance, or both. To decrease resistance to airflow, bronchodilators and glucocorticoids are often used to increase airway caliber. Another potential method to improve airflow is to alter inhaled gas composition. While the density and viscosity of oxygen, nitrogen, and air are very similar (table 1), substituting helium, a low-density gas, for nitrogen changes the physical properties of the inhaled gas and underlies the theoretical rationale for the clinical application of heliox. Stated differently, by decreasing gas density, airflow resistance can be decreased in the absence of any anatomical change. The following discussion describes the physiology that underlies the effect of gas density on airflow.
Airflow resistance — The mechanics of the respiratory system are determined by both static and dynamic properties. Static properties are measured in the absence of airflow and define the basic pressure-volume characteristics of the respiratory system. Respiratory system compliance (Crs) is a static property that is determined by the elastic recoil of the lung and chest wall.
Dynamic properties of the respiratory system are measured during inhalation or exhalation, when there is a gas flow. Airflow resistance is a dynamic property determined by multiple factors, including:
- Barach, AL. The use of helium in the treatment of asthma and obstructive lesions in the larynx and trachea. Ann Intern Med 1935; 9:739.
- Lumb AB. Nunn's Applied Respiratory Physiology, 5th ed, Butterworth Heinemann, Oxford 2000.
- Diehl JL, Peigne V, Guérot E, et al. Helium in the adult critical care setting. Ann Intensive Care 2011; 1:24.
- Madison JM, Irwin RS. Heliox for asthma. A trial balloon. Chest 1995; 107:597.
- Berkenbosch JW, Grueber RE, Graff GR, Tobias JD. Patterns of helium-oxygen (heliox) usage in the critical care environment. J Intensive Care Med 2004; 19:335.
- Smith SW, Biros M. Relief of imminent respiratory failure from upper airway obstruction by use of helium-oxygen: a case series and brief review. Acad Emerg Med 1999; 6:953.
- Polaner DM. The use of heliox and the laryngeal mask airway in a child with an anterior mediastinal mass. Anesth Analg 1996; 82:208.
- Brown L, Sherwin T, Perez JE, Perez DU. Heliox as a temporizing measure for pediatric foreign body aspiration. Acad Emerg Med 2002; 9:346.
- Tobias JD. Heliox in children with airway obstruction. Pediatr Emerg Care 1997; 13:29.
- Connolly KM, McGuirt WF Jr. Avoiding intubation in the injured subglottis: the role of heliox therapy. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2001; 110:713.
- Grosz AH, Jacobs IN, Cho C, Schears GJ. Use of helium-oxygen mixtures to relieve upper airway obstruction in a pediatric population. Laryngoscope 2001; 111:1512.
- Kemper KJ, Ritz RH, Benson MS, Bishop MS. Helium-oxygen mixture in the treatment of postextubation stridor in pediatric trauma patients. Crit Care Med 1991; 19:356.
- Rodeberg DA, Easter AJ, Washam MA, et al. Use of a helium-oxygen mixture in the treatment of postextubation stridor in pediatric patients with burns. J Burn Care Rehabil 1995; 16:476.
- Rodrigo GJ, Rodrigo C, Pollack CV, Rowe B. Use of helium-oxygen mixtures in the treatment of acute asthma: a systematic review. Chest 2003; 123:891.
- Kim IK, Phrampus E, Venkataraman S, et al. Helium/oxygen-driven albuterol nebulization in the treatment of children with moderate to severe asthma exacerbations: a randomized, controlled trial. Pediatrics 2005; 116:1127.
- Rivera ML, Kim TY, Stewart GM, et al. Albuterol nebulized in heliox in the initial ED treatment of pediatric asthma: a blinded, randomized controlled trial. Am J Emerg Med 2006; 24:38.
- Bigham MT, Jacobs BR, Monaco MA, et al. Helium/oxygen-driven albuterol nebulization in the management of children with status asthmaticus: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2010; 11:356.
- Rodrigo GJ, Castro-Rodriguez JA. Heliox-driven β2-agonists nebulization for children and adults with acute asthma: a systematic review with meta-analysis. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2014; 112:29.
- Elleau C, Galperine RI, Guenard H, Demarquez JL. Helium-oxygen mixture in respiratory distress syndrome: a double-blind study. J Pediatr 1993; 122:132.
- Wolfson MR, Bhutani VK, Shaffer TH, Bowen FW Jr. Mechanics and energetics of breathing helium in infants with bronchopulmonary dysplasia. J Pediatr 1984; 104:752.
- Szczapa T, Gadzinowski J, Moczko J, Merritt TA. Heliox for mechanically ventilated newborns with bronchopulmonary dysplasia. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 2014; 99:F128.
- Milner QJ, Abdy S, Allen JG. Management of severe tracheal obstruction with helium/oxygen and a laryngeal mask airway. Anaesthesia 1997; 52:1087.
- Boorstein JM, Boorstein SM, Humphries GN, Johnston CC. Using helium-oxygen mixtures in the emergency management of acute upper airway obstruction. Ann Emerg Med 1989; 18:688.
- Hessan H, Houck J, Harvey H. Airway obstruction due to lymphoma of the larynx and trachea. Laryngoscope 1988; 98:176.
- Khanlou H, Eiger G. Safety and efficacy of heliox as a treatment for upper airway obstruction due to radiation-induced laryngeal dysfunction. Heart Lung 2001; 30:146.
- Rodrigo G, Rodrigo C, Pollack C, Travers A. Helium-oxygen mixture for nonintubated acute asthma patients. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2001; :CD002884.
- Ho AM, Lee A, Karmakar MK, et al. Heliox vs air-oxygen mixtures for the treatment of patients with acute asthma: a systematic overview. Chest 2003; 123:882.
- Gluck EH, Onorato DJ, Castriotta R. Helium-oxygen mixtures in intubated patients with status asthmaticus and respiratory acidosis. Chest 1990; 98:693.
- Kass JE, Castriotta RJ. Heliox therapy in acute severe asthma. Chest 1995; 107:757.
- El-Khatib MF, Jamaleddine G, Kanj N, et al. Effect of heliox- and air-driven nebulized bronchodilator therapy on lung function in patients with asthma. Lung 2014; 192:377.
- Swidwa DM, Montenegro HD, Goldman MD, et al. Helium-oxygen breathing in severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Chest 1985; 87:790.
- Pecchiari M, Pelucchi A, D'Angelo E, et al. Effect of heliox breathing on dynamic hyperinflation in COPD patients. Chest 2004; 125:2075.
- Laude EA, Duffy NC, Baveystock C, et al. The effect of helium and oxygen on exercise performance in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a randomized crossover trial. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2006; 173:865.
- Chiappa GR, Queiroga F Jr, Meda E, et al. Heliox improves oxygen delivery and utilization during dynamic exercise in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2009; 179:1004.
- Babb TG. Breathing He-O2 increases ventilation but does not decrease the work of breathing during exercise. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001; 163:1128.
- Scorsone D, Bartolini S, Saporiti R, et al. Does a low-density gas mixture or oxygen supplementation improve exercise training in COPD? Chest 2010; 138:1133.
- Laveneziana P, Valli G, Onorati P, et al. Effect of heliox on heart rate kinetics and dynamic hyperinflation during high-intensity exercise in COPD. Eur J Appl Physiol 2011; 111:225.
- Jaber S, Fodil R, Carlucci A, et al. Noninvasive ventilation with helium-oxygen in acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2000; 161:1191.
- Tassaux D, Jolliet P, Roeseler J, Chevrolet JC. Effects of helium-oxygen on intrinsic positive end-expiratory pressure in intubated and mechanically ventilated patients with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Crit Care Med 2000; 28:2721.
- Diehl JL, Mercat A, Guérot E, et al. Helium/oxygen mixture reduces the work of breathing at the end of the weaning process in patients with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Crit Care Med 2003; 31:1415.
- Gerbeaux P, Gainnier M, Boussuges A, et al. Use of heliox in patients with severe exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Crit Care Med 2001; 29:2322.
- Maggiore SM, Richard JC, Abroug F, et al. A multicenter, randomized trial of noninvasive ventilation with helium-oxygen mixture in exacerbations of chronic obstructive lung disease. Crit Care Med 2010; 38:145.
- Jolliet P, Ouanes-Besbes L, Abroug F, et al. A Multicenter Randomized Trial Assessing the Efficacy of Helium/Oxygen in Severe Exacerbations of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2017; 195:871.
- Jaber S, Carlucci A, Boussarsar M, et al. Helium-oxygen in the postextubation period decreases inspiratory effort. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001; 164:633.
- Beurskens CJ, Brevoord D, Lagrand WK, et al. Heliox Improves Carbon Dioxide Removal during Lung Protective Mechanical Ventilation. Crit Care Res Pract 2014; 2014:954814.
- Henderson SO, Acharya P, Kilaghbian T, et al. Use of heliox-driven nebulizer therapy in the treatment of acute asthma. Ann Emerg Med 1999; 33:141.
- deBoisblanc BP, DeBleiux P, Resweber S, et al. Randomized trial of the use of heliox as a driving gas for updraft nebulization of bronchodilators in the emergent treatment of acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Crit Care Med 2000; 28:3177.
- Kress JP, Noth I, Gehlbach BK, et al. The utility of albuterol nebulized with heliox during acute asthma exacerbations. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2002; 165:1317.
- Hess DR, Acosta FL, Ritz RH, et al. The effect of heliox on nebulizer function using a beta-agonist bronchodilator. Chest 1999; 115:184.
- Hess D, Chatmongkolchart S. Techniques to avoid intubation: noninvasive positive pressure ventilation and heliox therapy. Int Anesthesiol Clin 2000; 38:161.
- Anderson M, Svartengren M, Bylin G, et al. Deposition in asthmatics of particles inhaled in air or in helium-oxygen. Am Rev Respir Dis 1993; 147:524.
- Svartengren M, Anderson M, Philipson K, Camner P. Human lung deposition of particles suspended in air or in helium/oxygen mixture. Exp Lung Res 1989; 15:575.
- Alcoforado L, Brandão S, Rattes C, et al. Evaluation of lung function and deposition of aerosolized bronchodilators carried by heliox associated with positive expiratory pressure in stable asthmatics: a randomized clinical trial. Respir Med 2013; 107:1178.
- Tassaux D, Jolliet P, Thouret JM, et al. Calibration of seven ICU ventilators for mechanical ventilation with helium-oxygen mixtures. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1999; 160:22.
- Devabhaktuni VG, Torres A Jr, Wilson S, Yeh MP. Effect of nitric oxide, perfluorocarbon, and heliox on minute volume measurement and ventilator volumes delivered. Crit Care Med 1999; 27:1603.
- Oppenheim-Eden A, Cohen Y, Weissman C, Pizov R. The effect of helium on ventilator performance: study of five ventilators and a bedside Pitot tube spirometer. Chest 2001; 120:582.
- Berkenbosch JW, Grueber RE, Dabbagh O, McKibben AW. Effect of helium-oxygen (heliox) gas mixtures on the function of four pediatric ventilators. Crit Care Med 2003; 31:2052.
- Katz AL, Gentile MA, Craig DM, et al. Heliox does not affect gas exchange during high-frequency oscillatory ventilation if tidal volume is held constant. Crit Care Med 2003; 31:2006.
- Carter ER. Heliox for acute severe asthma. Chest 2000; 117:1212.
- Kass JE, Terregino CA. The effect of heliox in acute severe asthma: a randomized controlled trial. Chest 1999; 116:296.
- Airflow resistance
- Laminar versus turbulent flow
- CLINICAL APPLICATIONS
- Limitations of clinical studies
- Use in children
- Use in adults
- Pulmonary function testing
- TECHNICAL ISSUES
- Optimizing helium-oxygen ratio
- Aerosol delivery
- Instrument recalibration
- Cost and availability
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS