Penicillin: Drug formulations (oral and parenteral)
- Jonathan M Zand, PharmD BCPS
Jonathan M Zand, PharmD BCPS
- Senior Associate Editor – Drug Information
Penicillin is available in five different formulations: an oral preparation (ie, penicillin V potassium) and four parenteral penicillin G preparations. The parenteral preparations are a short-acting intravenous/intramuscular aqueous formulation and three intermediate to long-acting intramuscular-only suspensions (ie, procaine penicillin, benzathine penicillin, and benzathine with procaine penicillin mixture).
Links to the Lexicomp drug information topics are provided below.
For indications for clinical use and additional information on specific agents, refer to the relevant UpToDate topics.
PENICILLIN (ORAL AND PARENTERAL) DRUG FORMULATIONS
Oral penicillin: Lexicomp drug information monographs
Penicillin V potassium (oral, Veetids)
- PENICILLIN (ORAL AND PARENTERAL) DRUG FORMULATIONS
- Oral penicillin: Lexicomp drug information monographs
- - Penicillin V potassium (oral, Veetids)
- Parenteral penicillin: Lexicomp drug information monographs
- - Penicillin G (intravenous and short-acting intramuscular, Pfizerpen-G)
- - Penicillin G benzathine (long-acting intramuscular, Bicillin L-A)
- - Penicillin G benzathine and penicillin G procaine (mix of long and intermediate-acting intramuscular; Bicillin C-R, Bicillin C-R 900/300)
- - Penicillin G procaine (intermediate-acting intramuscular; Pfizerpen-AS, Wycillin)