Penicillin, antistaphylococcal penicillins, and broad-spectrum penicillins
- Stephen B Calderwood, MD
Stephen B Calderwood, MD
- Editor-in-Chief — Infectious Diseases
- Section Editor — Bacterial Infections
- Professor of Medicine (Microbiology and Immunobiology)
- Harvard Medical School
Beta-lactam antibiotics are among the most commonly prescribed drugs, grouped together based upon a shared structural feature, the beta-lactam ring. The classification, spectrum of activity and pharmacology of one group of beta-lactam antibiotics, the penicillins, will be reviewed here. The mechanisms of action and resistance and major adverse reactions of the beta-lactam antibiotics are discussed separately. (See "Beta-lactam antibiotics: Mechanisms of action and resistance and adverse effects".) The cephalosporins and other beta-lactam drugs are also discussed separately. (See "Cephalosporins" and "Combination beta-lactamase inhibitors, carbapenems, and monobactams".)
Penicillins can be classified into the following categories:
●Antistaphylococcal penicillins (nafcillin, oxacillin, cloxacillin and dicloxacillin)
●Broad spectrum penicillins: second generation (ampicillin, amoxicillin and related agents), third generation (carbenicillin and ticarcillin) and fourth generation (piperacillin)
- Tomasz A. Antibiotic resistance in Streptococcus pneumoniae. Clin Infect Dis 1997; 24 Suppl 1:S85.
- Friedland IR, McCracken GH Jr. Management of infections caused by antibiotic-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae. N Engl J Med 1994; 331:377.
- Bradley JS, Scheld WM. The challenge of penicillin-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae meningitis: current antibiotic therapy in the 1990s. Clin Infect Dis 1997; 24 Suppl 2:S213.
- Pallares R, Liñares J, Vadillo M, et al. Resistance to penicillin and cephalosporin and mortality from severe pneumococcal pneumonia in Barcelona, Spain. N Engl J Med 1995; 333:474.
- Whitney CG, Farley MM, Hadler J, et al. Increasing prevalence of multidrug-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae in the United States. N Engl J Med 2000; 343:1917.
- Herman DJ, Gerding DN. Antimicrobial resistance among enterococci. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1991; 35:1.
- Mulligan ME, Murray-Leisure KA, Ribner BS, et al. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: a consensus review of the microbiology, pathogenesis, and epidemiology with implications for prevention and management. Am J Med 1993; 94:313.
- Lowy FD. Staphylococcus aureus infections. N Engl J Med 1998; 339:520.
- Jorgensen JH, Doern GV, Maher LA, et al. Antimicrobial resistance among respiratory isolates of Haemophilus influenzae, Moraxella catarrhalis, and Streptococcus pneumoniae in the United States. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1990; 34:2075.
- Bush LM, Johnson CC. Ureidopenicillins and beta-lactam/beta-lactamase inhibitor combinations. Infect Dis Clin North Am 2000; 14:409.
- Tan JS, File TM Jr. Antipseudomonal penicillins. Med Clin North Am 1995; 79:679.