Pathology of breast cancer
- Ira J Bleiweiss, MD
Ira J Bleiweiss, MD
- Professor of Pathology
- Perelman School of Medicine
- University of Pennsylvania
- Subspecialty Director, Breast Pathology
- Section of Surgical Pathology
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania Founders 6
- Section Editor
- Anees B Chagpar, MD, MSc, MA, MPH, MBA, FACS, FRCS(C)
Anees B Chagpar, MD, MSc, MA, MPH, MBA, FACS, FRCS(C)
- Section Editor — Breast Surgery
- Associate Professor, Department of Surgery
- Yale University School of Medicine
Most breast malignancies arise from epithelial elements and are categorized as carcinomas. Breast carcinomas are a diverse group of lesions that differ in microscopic appearance and biologic behavior, although these disorders are often discussed as a single disease.
The in situ carcinomas of the breast are either ductal (also known as intraductal carcinoma) or lobular. This distinction is primarily based upon the growth pattern and cytologic features of the lesions, rather than their anatomic location within the mammary ductal-lobular system.
The invasive breast carcinomas consist of several histologic subtypes; the estimated percentages are from a contemporary population-based series of 135,157 women with breast cancer reported to the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) database of the National Cancer Institute between 1992 and 2001 :
●Infiltrating ductal – 76 percent
●Invasive lobular – 8 percent
- Li CI, Uribe DJ, Daling JR. Clinical characteristics of different histologic types of breast cancer. Br J Cancer 2005; 93:1046.
- Dillon DA, Guidi AJ, Schnitt SJ. Pathology of invasive breast cancer. In: Diseases of the Breast, 4th, Harris JR, Lippman ME, Morrow M, Osborne CK (Eds), Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia 2009. p.386.
- Allred DC. Ductal carcinoma in situ: terminology, classification, and natural history. J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr 2010; 2010:134.
- Azzopardi JG. Problems in Breast Pathology, WB Saunders, Philadelphia 1963. p.244.
- Page DL, Anderson TJ. Diagnostic Histopathology of the Breast, Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh 1987. p.157.
- Rosen PP, Oberman H. Tumors of the Mammary Gland, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, DC 1993. p.143.
- Alfred C. Ductal carcinoma in situ. In: Diseases of the Breast, 4th, Harris JR, Lippman ME, Morrow M, Osborne CK (Eds), Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia 2009. p.321.
- Schwartz GF, Patchefsky AS, Finklestein SD, et al. Nonpalpable in situ ductal carcinoma of the breast. Predictors of multicentricity and microinvasion and implications for treatment. Arch Surg 1989; 124:29.
- Silverstein MJ, Waisman JR, Gamagami P, et al. Intraductal carcinoma of the breast (208 cases). Clinical factors influencing treatment choice. Cancer 1990; 66:102.
- Fisher ER, Dignam J, Tan-Chiu E, et al. Pathologic findings from the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast Project (NSABP) eight-year update of Protocol B-17: intraductal carcinoma. Cancer 1999; 86:429.
- Grabowski J, Salzstein SL, Sadler GR, Blair S. Intracystic papillary carcinoma: a review of 917 cases. Cancer 2008; 113:916.
- Eusebi V, Foschini MP, Cook MG, et al. Long-term follow-up of in situ carcinoma of the breast with special emphasis on clinging carcinoma. Semin Diagn Pathol 1989; 6:165.
- Fisher ER, Brown R. Intraductal signet ring carcinoma. A hitherto undescribed form of intraductal carcinoma of the breast. Cancer 1985; 55:2533.
- Rosen PP, Scott M. Cystic hypersecretory duct carcinoma of the breast. Am J Surg Pathol 1984; 8:31.
- Lagios MD, Margolin FR, Westdahl PR, Rose MR. Mammographically detected duct carcinoma in situ. Frequency of local recurrence following tylectomy and prognostic effect of nuclear grade on local recurrence. Cancer 1989; 63:618.
- Poller DN, Silverstein MJ, Galea M, et al. Ideas in pathology. Ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast: a proposal for a new simplified histological classification association between cellular proliferation and c-erbB-2 protein expression. Mod Pathol 1994; 7:257.
- Holland R, Peterse JL, Millis RR, et al. Ductal carcinoma in situ: a proposal for a new classification. Semin Diagn Pathol 1994; 11:167.
- Pinder SE, Duggan C, Ellis IO, et al. A new pathological system for grading DCIS with improved prediction of local recurrence: results from the UKCCCR/ANZ DCIS trial. Br J Cancer 2010; 103:94.
- Bur ME, Zimarowski MJ, Schnitt SJ, et al. Estrogen receptor immunohistochemistry in carcinoma in situ of the breast. Cancer 1992; 69:1174.
- Meyer JS. Cell kinetics of histologic variants of in situ breast carcinoma. Breast Cancer Res Treat 1986; 7:171.
- Killeen JL, Namiki H. DNA analysis of ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast. A comparison with histologic features. Cancer 1991; 68:2602.
- van de Vijver MJ, Peterse JL, Mooi WJ, et al. Neu-protein overexpression in breast cancer. Association with comedo-type ductal carcinoma in situ and limited prognostic value in stage II breast cancer. N Engl J Med 1988; 319:1239.
- Bartkova J, Barnes DM, Millis RR, Gullick WJ. Immunohistochemical demonstration of c-erbB-2 protein in mammary ductal carcinoma in situ. Hum Pathol 1990; 21:1164.
- Lodato RF, Maguire HC Jr, Greene MI, et al. Immunohistochemical evaluation of c-erbB-2 oncogene expression in ductal carcinoma in situ and atypical ductal hyperplasia of the breast. Mod Pathol 1990; 3:449.
- Poller DN, Roberts EC, Bell JA, et al. p53 protein expression in mammary ductal carcinoma in situ: relationship to immunohistochemical expression of estrogen receptor and c-erbB-2 protein. Hum Pathol 1993; 24:463.
- O'Malley FP, Vnencak-Jones CL, Dupont WD, et al. p53 mutations are confined to the comedo type ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast. Immunohistochemical and sequencing data. Lab Invest 1994; 71:67.
- Guidi AJ, Fischer L, Harris JR, Schnitt SJ. Microvessel density and distribution in ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast. J Natl Cancer Inst 1994; 86:614.
- Bobrow LG, Happerfield LC, Gregory WM, et al. The classification of ductal carcinoma in situ and its association with biological markers. Semin Diagn Pathol 1994; 11:199.
- Zafrani B, Leroyer A, Fourquet A, et al. Mammographically-detected ductal in situ carcinoma of the breast analyzed with a new classification. A study of 127 cases: correlation with estrogen and progesterone receptors, p53 and c-erbB-2 proteins, and proliferative activity. Semin Diagn Pathol 1994; 11:208.
- Wärnberg F, Nordgren H, Bergh J, Holmberg L. Ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast from a population-defined cohort: an evaluation of new histopathological classification systems. Eur J Cancer 1999; 35:714.
- Consensus Conference on the classification of ductal carcinoma in situ. The Consensus Conference Committee. Cancer 1997; 80:1798.
- Elston CW, Ellis IO. Pathological prognostic factors in breast cancer. I. The value of histological grade in breast cancer: experience from a large study with long-term follow-up. Histopathology 2002; 41:154.
- Abner AL, Connolly JL, Recht A, et al. The relation between the presence and extent of lobular carcinoma in situ and the risk of local recurrence for patients with infiltrating carcinoma of the breast treated with conservative surgery and radiation therapy. Cancer 2000; 88:1072.
- Orvieto E, Maiorano E, Bottiglieri L, et al. Clinicopathologic characteristics of invasive lobular carcinoma of the breast: results of an analysis of 530 cases from a single institution. Cancer 2008; 113:1511.
- Winchester DJ, Chang HR, Graves TA, et al. A comparative analysis of lobular and ductal carcinoma of the breast: presentation, treatment, and outcomes. J Am Coll Surg 1998; 186:416.
- Pestalozzi BC, Zahrieh D, Mallon E, et al. Distinct clinical and prognostic features of infiltrating lobular carcinoma of the breast: combined results of 15 International Breast Cancer Study Group clinical trials. J Clin Oncol 2008; 26:3006.
- Li CI, Moe RE, Daling JR. Risk of mortality by histologic type of breast cancer among women aged 50 to 79 years. Arch Intern Med 2003; 163:2149.
- Cristofanilli M, Gonzalez-Angulo A, Sneige N, et al. Invasive lobular carcinoma classic type: response to primary chemotherapy and survival outcomes. J Clin Oncol 2005; 23:41.
- Ferlicot S, Vincent-Salomon A, Médioni J, et al. Wide metastatic spreading in infiltrating lobular carcinoma of the breast. Eur J Cancer 2004; 40:336.
- Desmedt C, Zoppoli G, Gundem G, et al. Genomic Characterization of Primary Invasive Lobular Breast Cancer. J Clin Oncol 2016; 34:1872.
- Berx G, Cleton-Jansen AM, Strumane K, et al. E-cadherin is inactivated in a majority of invasive human lobular breast cancers by truncation mutations throughout its extracellular domain. Oncogene 1996; 13:1919.
- De Leeuw WJ, Berx G, Vos CB, et al. Simultaneous loss of E-cadherin and catenins in invasive lobular breast cancer and lobular carcinoma in situ. J Pathol 1997; 183:404.
- Liu GF, Yang Q, Haffty BG, Moran MS. Clinical-pathologic features and long-term outcomes of tubular carcinoma of the breast compared with invasive ductal carcinoma treated with breast conservation therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2009; 75:1304.
- Thurman SA, Schnitt SJ, Connolly JL, et al. Outcome after breast-conserving therapy for patients with stage I or II mucinous, medullary, or tubular breast carcinoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2004; 59:152.
- Sullivan T, Raad RA, Goldberg S, et al. Tubular carcinoma of the breast: a retrospective analysis and review of the literature. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2005; 93:199.
- Di Saverio S, Gutierrez J, Avisar E. A retrospective review with long term follow up of 11,400 cases of pure mucinous breast carcinoma. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2008; 111:541.
- Gaffey MJ, Mills SE, Frierson HF Jr, et al. Medullary carcinoma of the breast: interobserver variability in histopathologic diagnosis. Mod Pathol 1995; 8:31.
- Ridolfi RL, Rosen PP, Port A, et al. Medullary carcinoma of the breast: a clinicopathologic study with 10 year follow-up. Cancer 1977; 40:1365.
- Wargotz ES, Silverberg SG. Medullary carcinoma of the breast: a clinicopathologic study with appraisal of current diagnostic criteria. Hum Pathol 1988; 19:1340.
- Armes JE, Venter DJ. The pathology of inherited breast cancer. Pathology 2002; 34:309.
- Vu-Nishino H, Tavassoli FA, Ahrens WA, Haffty BG. Clinicopathologic features and long-term outcome of patients with medullary breast carcinoma managed with breast-conserving therapy (BCT). Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2005; 62:1040.
- Huober J, Gelber S, Goldhirsch A, et al. Prognosis of medullary breast cancer: analysis of 13 International Breast Cancer Study Group (IBCSG) trials. Ann Oncol 2012; 23:2843.
- Esposito NN, Chivukula M, Dabbs DJ. The ductal phenotypic expression of the E-cadherin/catenin complex in tubulolobular carcinoma of the breast: an immunohistochemical and clinicopathologic study. Mod Pathol 2007; 20:130.
- Walsh MM, Bleiweiss IJ. Invasive micropapillary carcinoma of the breast: eighty cases of an underrecognized entity. Hum Pathol 2001; 32:583.
- Tavassoli FA. Classification of metaplastic carcinomas of the breast. Pathol Annu 1992; 27 Pt 2:89.
- Pezzi CM, Patel-Parekh L, Cole K, et al. Characteristics and treatment of metaplastic breast cancer: analysis of 892 cases from the National Cancer Data Base. Ann Surg Oncol 2007; 14:166.
- Hennessy BT, Krishnamurthy S, Giordano S, et al. Squamous cell carcinoma of the breast. J Clin Oncol 2005; 23:7827.
- Behranwala KA, Nasiri N, Abdullah N, et al. Squamous cell carcinoma of the breast: clinico-pathologic implications and outcome. Eur J Surg Oncol 2003; 29:386.
- Dave G, Cosmatos H, Do T, et al. Metaplastic carcinoma of the breast: a retrospective review. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2006; 64:771.
- Rayson D, Adjei AA, Suman VJ, et al. Metaplastic breast cancer: prognosis and response to systemic therapy. Ann Oncol 1999; 10:413.
- Chao TC, Wang CS, Chen SC, Chen MF. Metaplastic carcinomas of the breast. J Surg Oncol 1999; 71:220.
- Vranic S, Bender R, Palazzo J, Gatalica Z. A review of adenoid cystic carcinoma of the breast with emphasis on its molecular and genetic characteristics. Hum Pathol 2013; 44:301.
- Kleer CG, Oberman HA. Adenoid cystic carcinoma of the breast: value of histologic grading and proliferative activity. Am J Surg Pathol 1998; 22:569.
- Ro JY, Silva EG, Gallager HS. Adenoid cystic carcinoma of the breast. Hum Pathol 1987; 18:1276.
- Millar BA, Kerba M, Youngson B, et al. The potential role of breast conservation surgery and adjuvant breast radiation for adenoid cystic carcinoma of the breast. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2004; 87:225.
- Shin SJ, Rosen PP. Solid variant of mammary adenoid cystic carcinoma with basaloid features: a study of nine cases. Am J Surg Pathol 2002; 26:413.