Pathogenesis of ventricular arrhythmias in heart failure and cardiomyopathy
- Philip J Podrid, MD, FACC
Philip J Podrid, MD, FACC
- Professor of Medicine, Professor of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics
- Boston University School of Medicine
- Lecturer, Harvard Medical School
- Section Editors
- Wilson S Colucci, MD
Wilson S Colucci, MD
- Section Editor — Heart Failure
- Professor of Medicine
- Boston University School of Medicine
- Brian Olshansky, MD
Brian Olshansky, MD
- Section Editor — Cardiac Arrhythmias
- Adjunct Professor of Medicine
- Des Moines University
Both atrial and ventricular arrhythmias are common in patients with heart failure (HF) and cardiomyopathy, regardless of underlying etiology . They can cause symptoms, morbidity (such as stroke due to embolization with atrial fibrillation), and may be responsible for sudden cardiac death (SCD).
The pathogenesis of ventricular arrhythmias in patients with HF and cardiomyopathy will be reviewed here. The indications for and methods of treatment of ventricular arrhythmias and of atrial fibrillation in these patients are discussed separately. (See "Ventricular arrhythmias in heart failure and cardiomyopathy" and "The management of atrial fibrillation in patients with heart failure".)
There are multiple factors responsible for the frequency of ventricular arrhythmias in patients with heart failure (HF) and cardiomyopathy. These include:
●Underlying structural disease
- Francis GS. Development of arrhythmias in the patient with congestive heart failure: pathophysiology, prevalence and prognosis. Am J Cardiol 1986; 57:3B.
- Wu TJ, Ong JJ, Hwang C, et al. Characteristics of wave fronts during ventricular fibrillation in human hearts with dilated cardiomyopathy: role of increased fibrosis in the generation of reentry. J Am Coll Cardiol 1998; 32:187.
- Pogwizd SM, McKenzie JP, Cain ME. Mechanisms underlying spontaneous and induced ventricular arrhythmias in patients with idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. Circulation 1998; 98:2404.
- Tomaselli GF, Beuckelmann DJ, Calkins HG, et al. Sudden cardiac death in heart failure. The role of abnormal repolarization. Circulation 1994; 90:2534.
- Beuckelmann DJ, Näbauer M, Erdmann E. Alterations of K+ currents in isolated human ventricular myocytes from patients with terminal heart failure. Circ Res 1993; 73:379.
- Kääb S, Dixon J, Duc J, et al. Molecular basis of transient outward potassium current downregulation in human heart failure: a decrease in Kv4.3 mRNA correlates with a reduction in current density. Circulation 1998; 98:1383.
- Maltsev VA, Sabbah HN, Higgins RS, et al. Novel, ultraslow inactivating sodium current in human ventricular cardiomyocytes. Circulation 1998; 98:2545.
- Grimm W, Steder U, Menz V, et al. QT dispersion and arrhythmic events in idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. Am J Cardiol 1996; 78:458.
- Berger RD, Kasper EK, Baughman KL, et al. Beat-to-beat QT interval variability: novel evidence for repolarization lability in ischemic and nonischemic dilated cardiomyopathy. Circulation 1997; 96:1557.
- White CW, Mirro MJ, Lund DD, et al. Alterations in ventricular excitability in conscious dogs during development of chronic heart failure. Am J Physiol 1986; 250:H1022.
- Dean JW, Lab MJ. Arrhythmia in heart failure: role of mechanically induced changes in electrophysiology. Lancet 1989; 1:1309.
- Reiter MJ, Landers M, Zetelaki Z, et al. Electrophysiological effects of acute dilatation in the isolated rabbit heart: cycle length-dependent effects on ventricular refractoriness and conduction velocity. Circulation 1997; 96:4050.
- Lerman BB, Engelstein ED, Burkhoff D. Mechanoelectrical feedback: role of beta-adrenergic receptor activation in mediating load-dependent shortening of ventricular action potential and refractoriness. Circulation 2001; 104:486.
- Zhu WX, Johnson SB, Brandt R, et al. Impact of volume loading and load reduction on ventricular refractoriness and conduction properties in canine congestive heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol 1997; 30:825.
- Horner SM, Dick DJ, Murphy CF, Lab MJ. Cycle length dependence of the electrophysiological effects of increased load on the myocardium. Circulation 1996; 94:1131.
- Koilpillai C, Quiñones MA, Greenberg B, et al. Relation of ventricular size and function to heart failure status and ventricular dysrhythmia in patients with severe left ventricular dysfunction. Am J Cardiol 1996; 77:606.
- Cohn JN, Rector TS. Prognosis of congestive heart failure and predictors of mortality. Am J Cardiol 1988; 62:25A.
- Packer M, Gottlieb SS, Blum MA. Immediate and long-term pathophysiologic mechanisms underlying the genesis of sudden cardiac death in patients with congestive heart failure. Am J Med 1987; 82:4.
- Casolo G, Balli E, Taddei T, et al. Decreased spontaneous heart rate variability in congestive heart failure. Am J Cardiol 1989; 64:1162.
- Mortara A, La Rovere MT, Pinna GD, et al. Depressed arterial baroreflex sensitivity and not reduced heart rate variability identifies patients with chronic heart failure and nonsustained ventricular tachycardia: the effect of high ventricular filling pressure. Am Heart J 1997; 134:879.
- Schofer J, Spielmann R, Schuchert A, et al. Iodine-123 meta-iodobenzylguanidine scintigraphy: a noninvasive method to demonstrate myocardial adrenergic nervous system disintegrity in patients with idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. J Am Coll Cardiol 1988; 12:1252.
- Cao JM, Fishbein MC, Han JB, et al. Relationship between regional cardiac hyperinnervation and ventricular arrhythmia. Circulation 2000; 101:1960.
- Chiale PA, Ferrari I, Mahler E, et al. Differential profile and biochemical effects of antiautonomic membrane receptor antibodies in ventricular arrhythmias and sinus node dysfunction. Circulation 2001; 103:1765.
- Iwata M, Yoshikawa T, Baba A, et al. Autoantibodies against the second extracellular loop of beta1-adrenergic receptors predict ventricular tachycardia and sudden death in patients with idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. J Am Coll Cardiol 2001; 37:418.
- Gottlieb SS, Baruch L, Kukin ML, et al. Prognostic importance of the serum magnesium concentration in patients with congestive heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol 1990; 16:827.
- Cooper HA, Dries DL, Davis CE, et al. Diuretics and risk of arrhythmic death in patients with left ventricular dysfunction. Circulation 1999; 100:1311.
- Haigney MC, Wei S, Kääb S, et al. Loss of cardiac magnesium in experimental heart failure prolongs and destabilizes repolarization in dogs. J Am Coll Cardiol 1998; 31:701.
- Uretsky BF, Thygesen K, Armstrong PW, et al. Acute coronary findings at autopsy in heart failure patients with sudden death: results from the assessment of treatment with lisinopril and survival (ATLAS) trial. Circulation 2000; 102:611.
- Stambler BS, Wood MA, Ellenbogen KA. Sudden death in patients with congestive heart failure: future directions. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 1992; 15:451.
- Holmes JR, Kubo SH, Cody RJ, Kligfield P. Milrinone in congestive heart failure: observations on ambulatory ventricular arrhythmias. Am Heart J 1985; 110:800.
- Anderson JL, Askins JC, Gilbert EM, et al. Occurrence of ventricular arrhythmias in patients receiving acute and chronic infusions of milrinone. Am Heart J 1986; 111:466.
- DiBianco R, Shabetai R, Kostuk W, et al. A comparison of oral milrinone, digoxin, and their combination in the treatment of patients with chronic heart failure. N Engl J Med 1989; 320:677.
- Packer M, Carver JR, Rodeheffer RJ, et al. Effect of oral milrinone on mortality in severe chronic heart failure. The PROMISE Study Research Group. N Engl J Med 1991; 325:1468.
- Dies F, Krell MJ, Whitlow P, et al. Intermittent dobutamine in ambulatory outpatients with chronic cardiac failure. Circulation 1986; 74(Suppl II):II.
- Bouvy ML, Heerdink ER, De Bruin ML, et al. Use of sympathomimetic drugs leads to increased risk of hospitalization for arrhythmias in patients with congestive heart failure. Arch Intern Med 2000; 160:2477.
- Gradman A, Deedwania P, Cody R, et al. Predictors of total mortality and sudden death in mild to moderate heart failure. Captopril-Digoxin Study Group. J Am Coll Cardiol 1989; 14:564.
- Moss AJ, Davis HT, Conard DL, et al. Digitalis-associated cardiac mortality after myocardial infarction. Circulation 1981; 64:1150.
- Bigger JT Jr, Fleiss JL, Rolnitzky LM, et al. Effect of digitalis treatment on survival after acute myocardial infarction. Am J Cardiol 1985; 55:623.
- Ryan TJ, Bailey KR, McCabe CH, et al. The effects of digitalis on survival in high-risk patients with coronary artery disease. The Coronary Artery Surgery Study (CASS). Circulation 1983; 67:735.
- Muller JE, Turi ZG, Stone PH, et al. Digoxin therapy and mortality after myocardial infarction. Experience in the MILIS Study. N Engl J Med 1986; 314:265.
- Digitalis Investigation Group. The effect of digoxin on mortality and morbidity in patients with heart failure. N Engl J Med 1997; 336:525.