- Ghada El-Hajj Fuleihan, MD, MPH
Ghada El-Hajj Fuleihan, MD, MPH
- Professor of Medicine
- American University of Beirut Medical Center, Lebanon
Primary hyperparathyroidism is usually caused by a parathyroid adenoma, occasionally by primary parathyroid hyperplasia, and rarely by a parathyroid cyst or parathyroid carcinoma. Parathyroid cysts are rare lesions of the neck or mediastinum, first described in 1880, with an estimated 300 cases reported in the literature since [1-6]. In a review of 6621 patients who had neck ultrasound investigations performed at a single center from 2003 to 2007 (mainly for evaluation of thyroid diseases), a parathyroid cyst was diagnosed in five cases . Microcysts of the parathyroid gland are primarily found in aging glands, often incidentally noted on autopsy . Generally, they have little clinical significance. Macrocysts of the parathyroid gland are larger than 1 cm, and these require clinical investigation.
This topic will provide an overview of parathyroid cysts. Other aspects of primary hyperparathyroidism are discussed elsewhere.
Subscribers log in hereLiterature review current through: Dec 2016. | This topic last updated: Wed Aug 31 00:00:00 GMT+00:00 2016.References
- Ippolito G, Palazzo FF, Sebag F, et al. A single-institution 25-year review of true parathyroid cysts. Langenbecks Arch Surg 2006; 391:13.
- Fortson JK, Patel VG, Henderson VJ. Parathyroid cysts: a case report and review of the literature. Laryngoscope 2001; 111:1726.
- Pontikides N, Karras S, Kaprara A, et al. Diagnostic and therapeutic review of cystic parathyroid lesions. Hormones (Athens) 2012; 11:410.
- Sung JY, Baek JH, Kim KS, et al. Symptomatic nonfunctioning parathyroid cysts: role of simple aspiration and ethanol ablation. Eur J Radiol 2013; 82:316.
- Khan A, Khan Y, Raza S, et al. Functional parathyroid cyst: a rare cause of malignant hypercalcemia with primary hyperparathyroidism-a case report and review of the literature. Case Rep Med 2012; 2012:851941.
- Cappelli C, Rotondi M, Pirola I, et al. Prevalence of parathyroid cysts by neck ultrasound scan in unselected patients. J Endocrinol Invest 2009; 32:357.
- Shields TW, Immerman SC. Mediastinal parathyroid cysts revisited. Ann Thorac Surg 1999; 67:581.
- Rossi ED, Revelli L, Giustozzi E, et al. Large non-functioning parathyroid cysts: our institutional experience of a rare entity and a possible pitfall in thyroid cytology. Cytopathology 2015; 26:114.
- Entwistle JW, Pierce CV, Johnson DE, et al. Parathyroid cysts: report of the sixth and youngest pediatric case. J Pediatr Surg 1994; 29:1528.
- Ihm PS, Dray T, Sofferman RA, et al. Parathyroid cysts: diagnosis and management. Laryngoscope 2001; 111:1576.
- Ing SW, Pelliteri PK. Diagnostic fine-needle aspiration biopsy of an intrathyroidal parathyroid gland and subsequent eucalcemia in a patient with primary hyperparathyroidism. Endocr Pract 2008; 14:80.
- Hughes CR, Kanmaz B, Isitman AT, et al. Misleading imaging results in the diagnosis of parathyroid cysts. Clin Nucl Med 1994; 19:422.
- Zhang XU, Yuan JH, Feng LU, et al. Giant non-functional parathyroid cyst: A case report. Oncol Lett 2016; 11:2237.
- Calandra DB, Shah KH, Prinz RA, et al. Parathyroid cysts: a report of eleven cases including two associated with hyperparathyroid crisis. Surgery 1983; 94:887.
- McCoy KL, Yim JH, Zuckerbraun BS, et al. Cystic parathyroid lesions: functional and nonfunctional parathyroid cysts. Arch Surg 2009; 144:52.
- Gurbuz AT, Peetz ME. Giant mediastinal parathyroid cyst: an unusual cause of hypercalcemic crisis--case report and review of the literature. Surgery 1996; 120:795.
- Wani S, Hao Z. Atypical cystic adenoma of the parathyroid gland: case report and review of literature. Endocr Pract 2005; 11:389.
- Oh A, Mojica P, Sullivan M, et al. Malignant hypercalcemia associated with a parathyroid macrocyst and the early genesis of a giant cell tumor. Am J Otolaryngol 2006; 27:54.
- Ujiki MB, Nayar R, Sturgeon C, Angelos P. Parathyroid cyst: often mistaken for a thyroid cyst. World J Surg 2007; 31:60.