Overview of upper gastrointestinal endoscopy (esophagogastroduodenoscopy)
- Jonathan Cohen, MD
Jonathan Cohen, MD
- Clinical Professor of Medicine
- New York University School of Medicine
- David A Greenwald, MD, FASGE, FACG
David A Greenwald, MD, FASGE, FACG
- Professor of Clinical Medicine
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy (esophagogastroduodenoscopy, EGD) includes visualization of the oropharynx, esophagus, stomach, and proximal duodenum, with real-time assessment and interpretation of the findings encountered. A variety of technical and cognitive aspects must be mastered in order to perform a high-quality examination. The basic technical components of upper endoscopy also serve as the platform upon which many therapeutic interventions are based.
The elements of high-quality performance in endoscopy have been well described and include the following [1,2]:
Prior to the procedure
●Appropriate indications and adherence to guidelines
●Suitable environment with adequate support team
- Cohen J, Pike IM. Defining and measuring quality in endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2015; 81:1.
- Rizk MK, Sawhney MS, Cohen J, et al. Quality indicators common to all GI endoscopic procedures. Am J Gastroenterol 2015; 110:48.
- ASGE Standards of Practice Committee, Early DS, Ben-Menachem T, et al. Appropriate use of GI endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2012; 75:1127.
- ASGE Standards of Practice Committee, Muthusamy VR, Lightdale JR, et al. The role of endoscopy in the management of GERD. Gastrointest Endosc 2015; 81:1305.
- ASGE Standards of Practice Committee, Evans JA, Early DS, et al. The role of endoscopy in Barrett's esophagus and other premalignant conditions of the esophagus. Gastrointest Endosc 2012; 76:1087.
- ASGE Standards of Practice Committee, Evans JA, Chandrasekhara V, et al. The role of endoscopy in the management of premalignant and malignant conditions of the stomach. Gastrointest Endosc 2015; 82:1.
- Lundegårdh G, Adami HO, Helmick C, et al. Stomach cancer after partial gastrectomy for benign ulcer disease. N Engl J Med 1988; 319:195.
- MING SC, GOLDMAN H. GASTRIC POLYPS; A HISTOGENETIC CLASSIFICATION AND ITS RELATION TO CARCINOMA. Cancer 1965; 18:721.
- Huang JQ, Sridhar S, Chen Y, Hunt RH. Meta-analysis of the relationship between Helicobacter pylori seropositivity and gastric cancer. Gastroenterology 1998; 114:1169.
- Ohata H, Kitauchi S, Yoshimura N, et al. Progression of chronic atrophic gastritis associated with Helicobacter pylori infection increases risk of gastric cancer. Int J Cancer 2004; 109:138.
- Kokkola A, Sjöblom SM, Haapiainen R, et al. The risk of gastric carcinoma and carcinoid tumours in patients with pernicious anaemia. A prospective follow-up study. Scand J Gastroenterol 1998; 33:88.
- Alexander JR, Andrews JM, Buchi KN, et al. High prevalence of adenomatous polyps of the duodenal papilla in familial adenomatous polyposis. Dig Dis Sci 1989; 34:167.
- Aarnio M, Salovaara R, Aaltonen LA, et al. Features of gastric cancer in hereditary non-polyposis colorectal cancer syndrome. Int J Cancer 1997; 74:551.
- Yatsuya H, Toyoshima H, Tamakoshi A, et al. Individual and joint impact of family history and Helicobacter pylori infection on the risk of stomach cancer: a nested case-control study. Br J Cancer 2004; 91:929.
- Chen MJ, Wu DC, Ko YC, Chiou YY. Personal history and family history as a predictor of gastric cardiac adenocarcinoma risk: a case-control study in Taiwan. Am J Gastroenterol 2004; 99:1250.
- Boeing H. Epidemiological research in stomach cancer: progress over the last ten years. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 1991; 117:133.
- Yachimski P, Hur C. Upper endoscopy in patients with acute myocardial infarction and upper gastrointestinal bleeding: results of a decision analysis. Dig Dis Sci 2009; 54:701.
- Fleisher LA, Fleischmann KE, Auerbach AD, et al. 2014 ACC/AHA guideline on perioperative cardiovascular evaluation and management of patients undergoing noncardiac surgery: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on practice guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol 2014; 64:e77.
- Faigel DO, Eisen GM, Baron TH, et al. Preparation of patients for GI endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2003; 57:446.
- American Society of Anesthesiologists Committee. Practice guidelines for preoperative fasting and the use of pharmacologic agents to reduce the risk of pulmonary aspiration: application to healthy patients undergoing elective procedures: an updated report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists Committee on Standards and Practice Parameters. Anesthesiology 2011; 114:495.
- ASGE Standards of Practice Committee, Anderson MA, Ben-Menachem T, et al. Management of antithrombotic agents for endoscopic procedures. Gastrointest Endosc 2009; 70:1060.
- ASGE Standards of Practice Committee, Pasha SF, Acosta R, et al. Routine laboratory testing before endoscopic procedures. Gastrointest Endosc 2014; 80:28.
- Standards of Practice Committee of the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, Lichtenstein DR, Jagannath S, et al. Sedation and anesthesia in GI endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2008; 68:815.
- Sharma VK, Nguyen CC, Crowell MD, et al. A national study of cardiopulmonary unplanned events after GI endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2007; 66:27.
- Cohen LB, Delegge MH, Aisenberg J, et al. AGA Institute review of endoscopic sedation. Gastroenterology 2007; 133:675.
- Standards of Practice Committee, Zuckerman MJ, Shen B, et al. Informed consent for GI endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2007; 66:213.
- Plumeri PA. Informed consent for gastrointestinal endoscopy in the '90s and beyond. Gastrointest Endosc 1994; 40:379.
- Davis DE, Jones MP, Kubik CM. Topical pharyngeal anesthesia does not improve upper gastrointestinal endoscopy in conscious sedated patients. Am J Gastroenterol 1999; 94:1853.
- Jafri SM, Arora G, Triadafilopoulos G. What is left of the endoscopic antireflux devices? Curr Opin Gastroenterol 2009; 25:352.
- Faigel DO, Eisen GM, Baron TH, et al. Tissue sampling and analysis. Gastrointest Endosc 2003; 57:811.
- Cohen J. The impact of tissue sampling on endoscopy efficiency. Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am 2004; 14:725.
- Wright ER, Bakis G, Srinivasan R, et al. Intraprocedural tissue diagnosis during ERCP employing a new cytology preparation of forceps biopsy (Smash protocol). Am J Gastroenterol 2011; 106:294.
- ASGE Standards of Practice Committee, Ben-Menachem T, Decker GA, et al. Adverse events of upper GI endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2012; 76:707.
- Silvis SE, Nebel O, Rogers G, et al. Endoscopic complications. Results of the 1974 American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Survey. JAMA 1976; 235:928.
- Geraci G, Pisello F, Modica G, et al. [Complications of elective esophago-gastro-duodenoscopy (EGDS). Personal experience and literature review]. G Chir 2009; 30:502.
- Wolfsen HC, Hemminger LL, Achem SR, et al. Complications of endoscopy of the upper gastrointestinal tract: a single-center experience. Mayo Clin Proc 2004; 79:1264.
- Quine MA, Bell GD, McCloy RF, et al. Prospective audit of upper gastrointestinal endoscopy in two regions of England: safety, staffing, and sedation methods. Gut 1995; 36:462.
- Arrowsmith JB, Gerstman BB, Fleischer DE, Benjamin SB. Results from the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy/U.S. Food and Drug Administration collaborative study on complication rates and drug use during gastrointestinal endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 1991; 37:421.
- Darling R, Roughton F. The effect of methemoglobin on the equilibrium between oxygen and hemoglobin. Am J Physiol 1942; 137:56.
- Henry LR, Pizzini M, Delarso B, Ridge JA. Methemoglobinemia: early intraoperative detection by clinical observation. Laryngoscope 2004; 114:2025.
- Chirica M, Champault A, Dray X, et al. Esophageal perforations. J Visc Surg 2010; 147:e117.
- Epstein L, Hunter JC, Arwady MA, et al. New Delhi metallo-β-lactamase-producing carbapenem-resistant Escherichia coli associated with exposure to duodenoscopes. JAMA 2014; 312:1447.
- Park WG, Shaheen NJ, Cohen J, et al. Quality indicators for EGD. Am J Gastroenterol 2015; 110:60.
- PATIENT SELECTION
- - Diagnostic examinations
- - Caustic ingestions
- - Screening/surveillance
- - Planned therapeutic intervention
- Important considerations
- PATIENT PREPARATION
- Management of anticoagulants
- Antibiotic prophylaxis
- Preprocedure testing
- SEDATION ASSESSMENT
- INFORMED CONSENT
- Intubation with the endoscope
- Esophagus and esophagogastric junction
- Pyloric intubation
- DIAGNOSTIC AND THERAPEUTIC MANEUVERS
- Tissue sampling
- PHOTODOCUMENTATION AND REPORTING
- TROUBLESHOOTING COMMON PROBLEMS IN UPPER ENDOSCOPY
- Complications related to sedation
- QUALITY INDICATORS FOR EGD
- INFORMATION FOR PATIENTS
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS