Overview of the use of immunosuppressive and disease-modifying drugs in the rheumatic diseases
- Philip Seo, MD
Philip Seo, MD
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Immunosuppressive drugs other than glucocorticoids are used in the treatment of various rheumatologic conditions to achieve one or more of the following goals:
●To induce or maintain a remission
●To reduce the frequency of flare or relapse
●To allow tapering of glucocorticoids while maintaining disease control
This topic review will provide an overview of the use of immunosuppressive drugs in various rheumatic diseases. Detailed discussions concerning the use of these drugs in specific rheumatic disorders are presented in the appropriate topic reviews.
- Zimmerman R, Radhakrishnan J, Valeri A, Appel G. Advances in the treatment of lupus nephritis. Annu Rev Med 2001; 52:63.
- Adu D, Cross J, Jayne DR. Treatment of systemic lupus erythematosus with mycophenolate mofetil. Lupus 2001; 10:203.
- Sanders S, Harisdangkul V. Leflunomide for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and autoimmunity. Am J Med Sci 2002; 323:190.
- Guidelines for monitoring drug therapy in rheumatoid arthritis. American College of Rheumatology Ad Hoc Committee on Clinical Guidelines. Arthritis Rheum 1996; 39:723.
- van der Heide A, Jacobs JW, Bijlsma JW, et al. The effectiveness of early treatment with "second-line" antirheumatic drugs. A randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med 1996; 124:699.
- ten Wolde S, Breedveld FC, Hermans J, et al. Randomised placebo-controlled study of stopping second-line drugs in rheumatoid arthritis. Lancet 1996; 347:347.
- Navarra SV, Guzmán RM, Gallacher AE, et al. Efficacy and safety of belimumab in patients with active systemic lupus erythematosus: a randomised, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial. Lancet 2011; 377:721.
- MECHANISMS OF ACTION
- RELATIVE TOXICITIES
- MONITORING FOR TOXICITY
- USE OF IMMUNOSUPPRESSIVE DRUGS IN RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS
- Disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs
- Biologic agents
- USE OF IMMUNOSUPPRESSIVE DRUGS IN OTHER AUTOIMMUNE DISORDERS
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
- Inflammatory myositis
- - Glucocorticoids
- - Cytotoxic drugs
- INFORMATION FOR PATIENTS
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS