Overview of autoimmunity
- Noel R Rose, MD, PhD
Noel R Rose, MD, PhD
- Professor of Pathology
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
This topic review provides an overview of autoimmunity. The discussion includes the common features underlying all of these disorders, the criteria for recognizing human disease, and the major new approaches to improve their treatment.
Autoimmunity is an immune response directed against an antigen within the body of the host. The definition does not distinguish whether the response is induced by a foreign or autochthonous antigen. It usually involves both T-cell and B-cell responses. It only requires that the adaptive immune response be directed to a self-antigen.
Autoimmune disease is a pathologic condition caused by the adaptive autoimmune response. However, these definitions can be unclear since it is frequently difficult to assign causality when dealing with a human disease. It is useful, therefore, to consider the evidence of an autoimmune etiology of a human disease with three degrees of stringency [1,2]:
●Indirect evidenceTo continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Rose NR. Autoimmune diseases: tracing the shared threads. Hosp Pract (1995) 1997; 32:147.
- Davidson A, Diamond B. Autoimmune diseases. N Engl J Med 2001; 345:340.
- Arbuckle MR, McClain MT, Rubertone MV, et al. Development of autoantibodies before the clinical onset of systemic lupus erythematosus. N Engl J Med 2003; 349:1526.
- Rose NR. Predictors of autoimmune disease: autoantibodies and beyond. Autoimmunity 2008; 41:419.
- Anhalt GJ, Labib RS, Voorhees JJ, et al. Induction of pemphigus in neonatal mice by passive transfer of IgG from patients with the disease. N Engl J Med 1982; 306:1189.
- Burman KD, Baker JR Jr. Immune mechanisms in Graves' disease. Endocr Rev 1985; 6:183.
- Drachman DB. How to recognize an antibody-mediated autoimmune disease: Criteria. In: Immunologic Mechanisms in Neurologic and Psychiatric Disease, Waksman BH (Ed), Raven, New York 1990. p.183.
- Reichlin M, Brucato A, Frank MB, et al. Concentration of autoantibodies to native 60-kd Ro/SS-A and denatured 52-kd Ro/SS-A in eluates from the heart of a child who died with congenital complete heart block. Arthritis Rheum 1994; 37:1698.
- Hornberger LK, Al Rajaa N. Spectrum of cardiac involvement in neonatal lupus. Scand J Immunol 2010; 72:189.
- HARTMANN RC, CONLEY CL. Studies on the initiation of blood coagulation, III. The clotting properties of canine platelet-free plasma. J Clin Invest 1952; 31:685.
- Vali M, Rose NR, Caturegli P. Thyroglobulin as autoantigen: structure-function relationships. Rev Endocr Metab Disord 2000; 1:69.
- Rose NR, Hill SL. The pathogenesis of postinfectious myocarditis. Clin Immunol Immunopathol 1996; 80:S92.
- Swanborg RH. Experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in rodents as a model for human demyelinating disease. Clin Immunol Immunopathol 1995; 77:4.
- Weissert R, Kuhle J, de Graaf KL, et al. High immunogenicity of intracellular myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein epitopes. J Immunol 2002; 169:548.
- Waldner H, Collins M, Kuchroo VK. Activation of antigen-presenting cells by microbial products breaks self tolerance and induces autoimmune disease. J Clin Invest 2004; 113:990.
- Theofilopoulos AN. Immunologic genes in mouse lupus models. In: The Molecular Pathology of Autoimmune Diseases, Bona CA, Siminovich KA, Zanetti M, Theofilopoulos AN (Eds), Harwood, Chur, Switzerland 1993. p.281.
- Leiter EH, Prochazka M, Coleman DL. The non-obese diabetic (NOD) mouse. Am J Pathol 1987; 128:380.
- Huber A, Menconi F, Corathers S, et al. Joint genetic susceptibility to type 1 diabetes and autoimmune thyroiditis: from epidemiology to mechanisms. Endocr Rev 2008; 29:697.
- Horak I, Löhler J, Ma A, Smith KA. Interleukin-2 deficient mice: a new model to study autoimmunity and self-tolerance. Immunol Rev 1995; 148:35.
- Kühn R, Löhler J, Rennick D, et al. Interleukin-10-deficient mice develop chronic enterocolitis. Cell 1993; 75:263.
- Okazaki T, Tanaka Y, Nishio R, et al. Autoantibodies against cardiac troponin I are responsible for dilated cardiomyopathy in PD-1-deficient mice. Nat Med 2003; 9:1477.
- Mangalam AK, Rajagopalan G, Taneja V, David CS. HLA class II transgenic mice mimic human inflammatory diseases. Adv Immunol 2008; 97:65.
- Elliott JF, Liu J, Yuan ZN, et al. Autoimmune cardiomyopathy and heart block develop spontaneously in HLA-DQ8 transgenic IAbeta knockout NOD mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2003; 100:13447.
- Frustaci A, Cuoco L, Chimenti C, et al. Celiac disease associated with autoimmune myocarditis. Circulation 2002; 105:2611.
- Eaton WW, Rose NR, Kalaydjian A, et al. Epidemiology of autoimmune diseases in Denmark. J Autoimmun 2007; 29:1.
- Effraimidis G, Wiersinga WM. Mechanisms in endocrinology: autoimmune thyroid disease: old and new players. Eur J Endocrinol 2014; 170:R241.
- Stanford SM, Bottini N. PTPN22: the archetypal non-HLA autoimmunity gene. Nat Rev Rheumatol 2014; 10:602.
- Gupta B, Hawkins RD. Epigenomics of autoimmune diseases. Immunol Cell Biol 2015; 93:271.
- Fairweather D, Frisancho-Kiss S, Rose NR. Sex differences in autoimmune disease from a pathological perspective. Am J Pathol 2008; 173:600.
- Rubtsova K, Marrack P, Rubtsov AV. Sexual dimorphism in autoimmunity. J Clin Invest 2015; 125:2187.
- Mackay IR, Leskovsek NV, Rose NR. Cell damage and autoimmunity: a critical appraisal. J Autoimmun 2008; 30:5.
- Elson CO, Alexander KL. Host-microbiota interactions in the intestine. Dig Dis 2015; 33:131.
- Fairweather D, Frisancho-Kiss S, Rose NR. Viruses as adjuvants for autoimmunity: evidence from Coxsackievirus-induced myocarditis. Rev Med Virol 2005; 15:17.
- James JA, Harley JB, Scofield RH. Epstein-Barr virus and systemic lupus erythematosus. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2006; 18:462.
- Grateau G, Duruöz MT. Autoinflammatory conditions: when to suspect? How to treat? Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 2010; 24:401.
- Panigrahi AK, Goodman NG, Eisenberg RA, et al. RS rearrangement frequency as a marker of receptor editing in lupus and type 1 diabetes. J Exp Med 2008; 205:2985.
- Khosroshahi A, Wallace ZS, Crowe JL, et al. International Consensus Guidance Statement on the Management and Treatment of IgG4-Related Disease. Arthritis Rheumatol 2015; 67:1688.
- De Martino L, Capalbo D, Improda N, et al. APECED: A Paradigm of Complex Interactions between Genetic Background and Susceptibility Factors. Front Immunol 2013; 4:331.
- Dighiero G, Rose NR. Critical self-epitopes are key to the understanding of self-tolerance and autoimmunity. Immunol Today 1999; 20:423.
- Nossal GJ. A purgative mastery. Nature 2001; 412:685.
- Kamradt T, Mitchison NA. Tolerance and autoimmunity. N Engl J Med 2001; 344:655.
- Pendergraft WF 3rd, Preston GA, Shah RR, et al. Autoimmunity is triggered by cPR-3(105-201), a protein complementary to human autoantigen proteinase-3. Nat Med 2004; 10:72.
- King C, Ilic A, Koelsch K, Sarvetnick N. Homeostatic expansion of T cells during immune insufficiency generates autoimmunity. Cell 2004; 117:265.
- Buckner JH, Ziegler SF. Functional analysis of FOXP3. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2008; 1143:151.
- Jonuleit H, Schmitt E. The regulatory T cell family: distinct subsets and their interrelations. J Immunol 2003; 171:6323.
- Zhou X, Bailey-Bucktrout SL, Jeker LT, et al. Instability of the transcription factor Foxp3 leads to the generation of pathogenic memory T cells in vivo. Nat Immunol 2009; 10:1000.
- Dominguez-Villar M, Baecher-Allan CM, Hafler DA. Identification of T helper type 1-like, Foxp3+ regulatory T cells in human autoimmune disease. Nat Med 2011; 17:673.
- McHugh RS, Shevach EM. Cutting edge: depletion of CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells is necessary, but not sufficient, for induction of organ-specific autoimmune disease. J Immunol 2002; 168:5979.
- Wildin RS, Smyk-Pearson S, Filipovich AH. Clinical and molecular features of the immunodysregulation, polyendocrinopathy, enteropathy, X linked (IPEX) syndrome. J Med Genet 2002; 39:537.
- Bacchetta R, Passerini L, Gambineri E, et al. Defective regulatory and effector T cell functions in patients with FOXP3 mutations. J Clin Invest 2006; 116:1713.
- Bogdanos DP, Dalekos GN. Enzymes as target antigens of liver-specific autoimmunity: the case of cytochromes P450s. Curr Med Chem 2008; 15:2285.
- Lleo A, Invernizzi P, Mackay IR, et al. Etiopathogenesis of primary biliary cirrhosis. World J Gastroenterol 2008; 14:3328.
- Ueda H, Howson JM, Esposito L, et al. Association of the T-cell regulatory gene CTLA4 with susceptibility to autoimmune disease. Nature 2003; 423:506.
- Lee YH, Rho YH, Choi SJ, et al. The PTPN22 C1858T functional polymorphism and autoimmune diseases--a meta-analysis. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2007; 46:49.
- Gregersen PK. Modern genetics, ancient defenses, and potential therapies. N Engl J Med 2007; 356:1263.
- Meylan E, Tschopp J, Karin M. Intracellular pattern recognition receptors in the host response. Nature 2006; 442:39.
- Kawai T, Akira S. Toll-like receptor and RIG-I-like receptor signaling. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2008; 1143:1.
- Martinon F, Tschopp J. Inflammatory caspases and inflammasomes: master switches of inflammation. Cell Death Differ 2007; 14:10.
- Jin Y, Mailloux CM, Gowan K, et al. NALP1 in vitiligo-associated multiple autoimmune disease. N Engl J Med 2007; 356:1216.
- Stojanov S, Kastner DL. Familial autoinflammatory diseases: genetics, pathogenesis and treatment. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2005; 17:586.
- Emmi L, Romagnani S. Role of Th1 and Th2 cells in autoimmunity. In: The Autoimmune Diseases, Rose NR, Mackay IR (Eds), Academic Press, San Diego 2006. p.83.
- Afanasyeva M, Georgakopoulos D, Rose NR. Autoimmune myocarditis: cellular mediators of cardiac dysfunction. Autoimmun Rev 2004; 3:476.
- Martinez GJ, Nurieva RI, Yang XO, Dong C. Regulation and function of proinflammatory TH17 cells. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2008; 1143:188.
- Park H, Bourla AB, Kastner DL, et al. Lighting the fires within: the cell biology of autoinflammatory diseases. Nat Rev Immunol 2012; 12:570.
- Oppermann M, Fritzsche J, Weber-Schoendorfer C, et al. A(H1N1)v2009: a controlled observational prospective cohort study on vaccine safety in pregnancy. Vaccine 2012; 30:4445.
- Murdaca G, Orsi A, Spano F, et al. Influenza and pneumococcal vaccination of patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: current views upon safety and immunogenicity. Autoimmun Rev 2013; :in press.