Organization and elements of a home hemodialysis program
- Connie Anderson, BSN, RN, MBA
Connie Anderson, BSN, RN, MBA
- Vice President of Clinical Operation Northwest Kidney Centers
- University of Washington School of Nursing, Dean’s Advisory Committee
- Christopher R Blagg, MD, FRCP
Christopher R Blagg, MD, FRCP
- Professor Emeritus of Medicine
- University of Washington
- Lionel U Mailloux, MD, FACP
Lionel U Mailloux, MD, FACP
- Clinical Professor of Medicine
- Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine
A treatment program for all patients with end-stage renal disease (ESRD) should provide the following:
●The best possible patient outcomes
●The maximum medical, social, economic, and psychological rehabilitation
●Few ill effects
●The highest possible quality of life
- USRDS 2015 Annual Data Report. National Institutes of Health; National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Bethesda, MD 2015.
- Woods JD, Port FK, Stannard D, et al. Comparison of mortality with home hemodialysis and center hemodialysis: a national study. Kidney Int 1996; 49:1464.
- Covic A, Goldsmith DJ, Venning MC, Ackrill P. Long-hours home haemodialysis--the best renal replacement therapy method? QJM 1999; 92:251.
- McGregor DO, Buttimore AL, Lynn KL. Home hemodialysis: excellent survival at less cost, but still underutilized. Kidney Int 2000; 57:2654.
- Saner E, Nitsch D, Descoeudres C, et al. Outcome of home haemodialysis patients: a case-cohort study. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2005; 20:604.
- Blagg CR. Home haemodialysis: 'home, home, sweet, sweet home!'. Nephrology (Carlton) 2005; 10:206.
- Mehrotra R, Marsh D, Vonesh E, et al. Patient education and access of ESRD patients to renal replacement therapies beyond in-center hemodialysis. Kidney Int 2005; 68:378.
- Pauly RP. Nocturnal home hemodialysis and short daily hemodialysis compared with kidney transplantation: emerging data in a new era. Adv Chronic Kidney Dis 2009; 16:169.
- Diaz-Buxo JA, Crawford-Bonadio TL, St Pierre D, Ingram KM. Establishing a successful home dialysis program. Blood Purif 2006; 24:22.
- Moran J, Kraus M. Starting a home hemodialysis program. Semin Dial 2007; 20:35.
- Blagg CR. What went wrong with home hemodialysis in the United States and what can be done now. Hemodial Int 2000; 4:55.
- US Renal Data System, USRDS 2009 Annual Data Report: Atlas of Chronic Kidney Disease and End-Stage Renal Disease in the United States, National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Vol. 3, Bethesda, MD. p.510, Table D1.
- Schlaeper C, Diaz-Buxo JA. Home hemodialysis and remote monitoring: current technology, requirements and capabilities. Blood Purif 2005; 23:18.
- Heidenheim AP, Leitch R, Kortas C, et al. Patient monitoring in the London Daily/Nocturnal Hemodialysis Study. Am J Kidney Dis 2003; 42:61.
- Seto E, Cafazzo JA, Rizo C, et al. Internet use by end-stage renal disease patients. Hemodial Int 2007; 11:328.
- 42 CFR Parts 405, 410, 413, et al. Medicare and Medicaid programs; Conditions for coverage for end-stage renal disease facilities; final rule. Federal Register 2008; 73:20370.
- http://www.homedialysis.org/files/pdf/pros/MatchD2007.pdf (Accessed on September 14, 2007).
- Morgan D, Schlaeper C, Lockridge RS. Technical requirements of a home hemodialysis program. Contrib Nephrol 2004; 145:21.
- Blagg CR, Anderson C. Home preparation and installation for home hemodialysis. In: Dialysis Therapy, 3rd ed., Nissenson AR, Fine RN (Eds), Hanley & Bleifus, Philadelphia 2002. p.87.
- AAMI. ANSI/AAMI RD52:2004/A1:2007. Dialysate for hemodialysis, Amendment 1 - Annex C: Special considerations for home hemodialysis. 2008. American Association for Medical Instrumentation, Arlington, VA.
- Verhallen AM, Kooistra MP, van Jaarsveld BC. Cannulating in haemodialysis: rope-ladder or buttonhole technique? Nephrol Dial Transplant 2007; 22:2601.
- Murcutt G. Buttonhole cannulation: should this become the default technique for dialysis patients with native fistulas? Summary of the EDTNA/ERCA Journal Club discussion Autumn 2007. J Ren Care 2008; 34:101.