Olfactory neuroblastoma (esthesioneuroblastoma)
- Carl Snyderman, MD, MBA
Carl Snyderman, MD, MBA
- Professor, Departments of Otolaryngology and Neurological Surgery
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- Derrick Lin, MD
Derrick Lin, MD
- Associate Professor
- Harvard Medical School
- Bruce E Brockstein, MD
Bruce E Brockstein, MD
- Section Editor — Cancer of the Head and Neck
- Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine
- University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine
- Robert Foote, MD, FACR, FASTRO
Robert Foote, MD, FACR, FASTRO
- Professor and Chair, Department of Radiation Oncology
- Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- Section Editors
- Jay S Loeffler, MD
Jay S Loeffler, MD
- Section Editor — Neurooncology
- Professor of Radiation Oncology
- Harvard Medical School
- Patrick Y Wen, MD
Patrick Y Wen, MD
- Section Editor — Neurooncology
- Professor of Neurology
- Harvard Medical School
- Julie R Park, MD
Julie R Park, MD
- Section Editor — Lymphoma
- Section Editor — Pediatric Oncology
- Professor of Pediatrics
- University of Washington
Olfactory neuroblastoma (ONB), also referred to as esthesioneuroblastoma, is a rare malignant tumor of neuroectodermal origin. Olfactory neuroblastomas are thought to arise from the olfactory epithelium .
The clinical presentation, pathology, treatment, and follow-up of patients with olfactory neuroblastomas will be reviewed here. Other malignancies of the nasal cavity and skull base are discussed elsewhere. (See "Tumors of the nasal cavity" and "Paranasal sinus cancer" and "Chordoma and chondrosarcoma of the skull base".)
The most representative data on the epidemiology of olfactory neuroblastomas come from an analysis of 311 cases in the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) database over a 30 year period . In this study, the mean age at presentation was 53 years, with most cases occurring in patients between 40 and 70 years. There was a moderate male predominance with a 55:45 male:female ratio.
Other small, contemporary single institution series have yielded similar observations regarding age and gender distribution [3-6].
Nasal obstruction due to the presence of a mass is the most common symptom with olfactory neuroblastoma and is present in the majority of cases. Other manifestations of local disease include epistaxis, nasal discharge, and/or pain. When nasal symptoms are present, physical examination usually reveals a red-brown, polypoid mass located high in the nasal cavity.
- Neuroectodermal tumours. In: Pathology and genetics of head and neck tumours, Barnes L, Eveson JW, Reichart P, Sidransky D (Eds), IARC Press, Lyon, France 2005.
- Jethanamest D, Morris LG, Sikora AG, Kutler DI. Esthesioneuroblastoma: a population-based analysis of survival and prognostic factors. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2007; 133:276.
- Ward PD, Heth JA, Thompson BG, Marentette LJ. Esthesioneuroblastoma: Results and Outcomes of a Single Institution's Experience. Skull Base 2009; 19:133.
- Diaz EM Jr, Johnigan RH 3rd, Pero C, et al. Olfactory neuroblastoma: the 22-year experience at one comprehensive cancer center. Head Neck 2005; 27:138.
- Resto VA, Eisele DW, Forastiere A, et al. Esthesioneuroblastoma: the Johns Hopkins experience. Head Neck 2000; 22:550.
- Bachar G, Goldstein DP, Shah M, et al. Esthesioneuroblastoma: The Princess Margaret Hospital experience. Head Neck 2008; 30:1607.
- Koo BK, An JH, Jeon KH, et al. Two cases of ectopic adrenocorticotropic hormone syndrome with olfactory neuroblastoma and literature review. Endocr J 2008; 55:469.
- Sharma S, Lasheen W, Walsh D. Paraneoplastic refractory hypercalcemia due to advanced metastatic esthesioneuroblastoma. Rhinology 2008; 46:153.
- Kadish S, Goodman M, Wang CC. Olfactory neuroblastoma. A clinical analysis of 17 cases. Cancer 1976; 37:1571.
- Morita A, Ebersold MJ, Olsen KD, et al. Esthesioneuroblastoma: prognosis and management. Neurosurgery 1993; 32:706.
- Dulguerov P, Calcaterra T. Esthesioneuroblastoma: the UCLA experience 1970-1990. Laryngoscope 1992; 102:843.
- Broich G, Pagliari A, Ottaviani F. Esthesioneuroblastoma: a general review of the cases published since the discovery of the tumour in 1924. Anticancer Res 1997; 17:2683.
- Pickuth D, Heywang-Köbrunner SH, Spielmann RP. Computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging features of olfactory neuroblastoma: an analysis of 22 cases. Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci 1999; 24:457.
- Derdeyn CP, Moran CJ, Wippold FJ 2nd, et al. MRI of esthesioneuroblastoma. J Comput Assist Tomogr 1994; 18:16.
- Kairemo KJ, Jekunen AP, Kestilä MS, Ramsay HA. Imaging of olfactory neuroblastoma--an analysis of 17 cases. Auris Nasus Larynx 1998; 25:173.
- Broski SM, Hunt CH, Johnson GB, et al. The added value of 18F-FDG PET/CT for evaluation of patients with esthesioneuroblastoma. J Nucl Med 2012; 53:1200.
- Howell MC, Branstetter BF 4th, Snyderman CH. Patterns of regional spread for esthesioneuroblastoma. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2011; 32:929.
- Hyams VJ, Batsakis JG, Michaels L. Tumors of the upper respiratory tract and ear. In: Atlas of Tumor Pathology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, 1988.
- Hirose T, Scheithauer BW, Lopes MB, et al. Olfactory neuroblastoma. An immunohistochemical, ultrastructural, and flow cytometric study. Cancer 1995; 76:4.
- Lund VJ, Milroy C. Olfactory neuroblastoma: clinical and pathological aspects. Rhinology 1993; 31:1.
- Dulguerov P, Allal AS, Calcaterra TC. Esthesioneuroblastoma: a meta-analysis and review. Lancet Oncol 2001; 2:683.
- Frierson HF Jr, Ross GW, Mills SE, Frankfurter A. Olfactory neuroblastoma. Additional immunohistochemical characterization. Am J Clin Pathol 1990; 94:547.
- Barnes L, Peel RL. Olfactory neuroblastomas versus sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma. In: Head and Neck Pathology. A Text/Atlas of Differential Diagnosis, Igaku-Shoin, New York 1990. p.152.
- Frierson HF Jr, Mills SE, Fechner RE, et al. Sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma. An aggressive neoplasm derived from schneiderian epithelium and distinct from olfactory neuroblastoma. Am J Surg Pathol 1986; 10:771.
- Mills SE, Fechner RE. "Undifferentiated" neoplasms of the sinonasal region: differential diagnosis based on clinical, light microscopic, immunohistochemical, and ultrastructural features. Semin Diagn Pathol 1989; 6:316.
- Newton WA Jr, Soule EH, Hamoudi AB, et al. Histopathology of childhood sarcomas, Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma Studies I and II: clinicopathologic correlation. J Clin Oncol 1988; 6:67.
- Kodet R, Newton WA Jr, Hamoudi AB, et al. Childhood rhabdomyosarcoma with anaplastic (pleomorphic) features. A report of the Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma Study. Am J Surg Pathol 1993; 17:443.
- Dickman PS, Triche TJ. Extraosseous Ewing's sarcoma versus primitive rhabdomyosarcoma: diagnostic criteria and clinical correlation. Hum Pathol 1986; 17:881.
- Parham DM, Webber B, Holt H, et al. Immunohistochemical study of childhood rhabdomyosarcomas and related neoplasms. Results of an Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma study project. Cancer 1991; 67:3072.
- Douglass EC, Shapiro DN, Valentine M, et al. Alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma with the t(2;13): cytogenetic findings and clinicopathologic correlations. Med Pediatr Oncol 1993; 21:83.
- Whang-Peng J, Knutsen T, Theil K, et al. Cytogenetic studies in subgroups of rhabdomyosarcoma. Genes Chromosomes Cancer 1992; 5:299.
- de Alava E, Gerald WL. Molecular biology of the Ewing's sarcoma/primitive neuroectodermal tumor family. J Clin Oncol 2000; 18:204.
- Devaney K, Wenig BM, Abbondanzo SL. Olfactory neuroblastoma and other round cell lesions of the sinonasal region. Mod Pathol 1996; 9:658.
- Mezzelani A, Tornielli S, Minoletti F, et al. Esthesioneuroblastoma is not a member of the primitive peripheral neuroectodermal tumour-Ewing's group. Br J Cancer 1999; 81:586.
- Simon JH, Zhen W, McCulloch TM, et al. Esthesioneuroblastoma: the University of Iowa experience 1978-1998. Laryngoscope 2001; 111:488.
- Nichols AC, Chan AW, Curry WT, et al. Esthesioneuroblastoma: the massachusetts eye and ear infirmary and massachusetts general hospital experience with craniofacial resection, proton beam radiation, and chemotherapy. Skull Base 2008; 18:327.
- Levine PA, McLean WC, Cantrell RW. Esthesioneuroblastoma: the University of Virginia experience 1960-1985. Laryngoscope 1986; 96:742.
- Unger F, Haselsberger K, Walch C, et al. Combined endoscopic surgery and radiosurgery as treatment modality for olfactory neuroblastoma (esthesioneuroblastoma). Acta Neurochir (Wien) 2005; 147:595.
- Folbe A, Herzallah I, Duvvuri U, et al. Endoscopic endonasal resection of esthesioneuroblastoma: a multicenter study. Am J Rhinol Allergy 2009; 23:91.
- Kim BJ, Kim DW, Kim SW, et al. Endoscopic versus traditional craniofacial resection for patients with sinonasal tumors involving the anterior skull base. Clin Exp Otorhinolaryngol 2008; 1:148.
- Nicolai P, Battaglia P, Bignami M, et al. Endoscopic surgery for malignant tumors of the sinonasal tract and adjacent skull base: a 10-year experience. Am J Rhinol 2008; 22:308.
- Devaiah AK, Andreoli MT. Treatment of esthesioneuroblastoma: a 16-year meta-analysis of 361 patients. Laryngoscope 2009; 119:1412.
- Benfari G, Fusconi M, Ciofalo A, et al. Radiotherapy alone for local tumour control in esthesioneuroblastoma. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 2008; 28:292.
- Madani I, Bonte K, Vakaet L, et al. Intensity-modulated radiotherapy for sinonasal tumors: Ghent University Hospital update. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2009; 73:424.
- Nishimura H, Ogino T, Kawashima M, et al. Proton-beam therapy for olfactory neuroblastoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2007; 68:758.
- Fukumitsu N, Okumura T, Mizumoto M, et al. Outcome of T4 (International Union Against Cancer Staging System, 7th edition) or recurrent nasal cavity and paranasal sinus carcinoma treated with proton beam. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2012; 83:704.
- Lund VJ, Howard D, Wei W, Spittle M. Olfactory neuroblastoma: past, present, and future? Laryngoscope 2003; 113:502.
- Theilgaard SA, Buchwald C, Ingeholm P, et al. Esthesioneuroblastoma: a Danish demographic study of 40 patients registered between 1978 and 2000. Acta Otolaryngol 2003; 123:433.
- Fitzek MM, Thornton AF, Varvares M, et al. Neuroendocrine tumors of the sinonasal tract. Results of a prospective study incorporating chemotherapy, surgery, and combined proton-photon radiotherapy. Cancer 2002; 94:2623.
- Eich HT, Hero B, Staar S, et al. Multimodality therapy including radiotherapy and chemotherapy improves event-free survival in stage C esthesioneuroblastoma. Strahlenther Onkol 2003; 179:233.
- Zappia JJ, Carroll WR, Wolf GT, et al. Olfactory neuroblastoma: the results of modern treatment approaches at the University of Michigan. Head Neck 1993; 15:190.
- Loy AH, Reibel JF, Read PW, et al. Esthesioneuroblastoma: continued follow-up of a single institution's experience. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2006; 132:134.
- Argiris A, Dutra J, Tseke P, Haines K. Esthesioneuroblastoma: the Northwestern University experience. Laryngoscope 2003; 113:155.
- Demiroz C, Gutfeld O, Aboziada M, et al. Esthesioneuroblastoma: is there a need for elective neck treatment? Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2011; 81:e255.
- Weiden PL, Yarington CT Jr, Richardson RG. Olfactory neuroblastoma. Chemotherapy and radiotherapy for extensive disease. Arch Otolaryngol 1984; 110:759.
- Sheehan JM, Sheehan JP, Jane JA Sr, Polin RS. Chemotherapy for esthesioneuroblastomas. Neurosurg Clin N Am 2000; 11:693.
- Mishima Y, Nagasaki E, Terui Y, et al. Combination chemotherapy (cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, and vincristine with continuous-infusion cisplatin and etoposide) and radiotherapy with stem cell support can be beneficial for adolescents and adults with estheisoneuroblastoma. Cancer 2004; 101:1437.
- Wade PM Jr, Smith RE, Johns ME. Response of esthesioneuroblastoma to chemotherapy. Report of five cases and review of the literature. Cancer 1984; 53:1036.
- McElroy EA Jr, Buckner JC, Lewis JE. Chemotherapy for advanced esthesioneuroblastoma: the Mayo Clinic experience. Neurosurgery 1998; 42:1023.
- Chamberlain MC. Treatment of intracranial metastatic esthesioneuroblastoma. Cancer 2002; 95:243.
- Heros DO, Hochberg FH. Treatment of esthesioneuroblastoma with chemotherapy: a report of two cases. J Neurooncol 1988; 6:141.
- Kim DW, Jo YH, Kim JH, et al. Neoadjuvant etoposide, ifosfamide, and cisplatin for the treatment of olfactory neuroblastoma. Cancer 2004; 101:2257.
- Kiyota N, Tahara M, Fujii S, et al. Nonplatinum-based chemotherapy with irinotecan plus docetaxel for advanced or metastatic olfactory neuroblastoma: a retrospective analysis of 12 cases. Cancer 2008; 112:885.
- Turano S, Mastroianni C, Manfredi C, et al. Advanced adult esthesioneuroblastoma successfully treated with cisplatin and etoposide alternated with doxorubicin, ifosfamide and vincristine. J Neurooncol 2010; 98:131.
- Preusser M, Hutterer M, Sohm M, et al. Disease stabilization of progressive olfactory neuroblastoma (esthesioneuroblastoma) under treatment with sunitinib mesylate. J Neurooncol 2010; 97:305.
- Mao L, Xia YP, Zhou YN, et al. Activation of sonic hedgehog signaling pathway in olfactory neuroblastoma. Oncology 2009; 77:231.
- CLINICAL MANIFESTATIONS
- DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING
- Imaging studies
- Differential diagnosis
- Primary tumor
- - Surgery
- - Radiation therapy
- - Surgery plus RT
- - Adjuvant chemotherapy
- Management of the neck
- Systemic disease
- - Cytotoxic chemotherapy
- - Molecularly targeted therapy
- POSTTREATMENT SURVEILLANCE
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS