- Matthew J Zirwas, MD
Matthew J Zirwas, MD
- Associate Clinical Professor
- The Ohio State University
Nummular eczema, also called discoid eczema or nummular dermatitis, is a chronic inflammatory skin disease characterized by multiple, pruritic, coin-shaped eczematous lesions involving the extremities and, less commonly, the trunk (picture 1A) . Nummular eczema is regarded as a distinctive form of endogenous (idiopathic) eczema.
This topic will discuss the clinical features, diagnosis, and treatment of nummular eczema. Atopic dermatitis, allergic contact dermatitis, and other types of eczematous dermatitis are discussed separately.
- Jiamton S, Tangjaturonrusamee C, Kulthanan K. Clinical features and aggravating factors in nummular eczema in Thais. Asian Pac J Allergy Immunol 2013; 31:36.
- Susan Burgin. Nummular eczema, Lichen simplex chronicus, and Prurigo nodularis. In: Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine, 8th Edition, Goldsmith LA, Katz SI, Gilchrest BA, at al (Eds), McGraw-Hill, 2012. Vol 1, p.182.
- Kim WJ, Ko HC, Kim MB, et al. Features of Staphylococcus aureus colonization in patients with nummular eczema. Br J Dermatol 2013; 168:658.
- Bonamonte D, Foti C, Vestita M, et al. Nummular eczema and contact allergy: a retrospective study. Dermatitis 2012; 23:153.
- Krupa Shankar DS, Shrestha S. Relevance of patch testing in patients with nummular dermatitis. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 2005; 71:406.
- Khurana S, Jain VK, Aggarwal K, Gupta S. Patch testing in discoid eczema. J Dermatol 2002; 29:763.
- Schena D, Papagrigoraki A, Girolomoni G. Sensitizing potential of triclosan and triclosan-based skin care products in patients with chronic eczema. Dermatol Ther 2008; 21 Suppl 2:S35.
- Aoyama H, Tanaka M, Hara M, et al. Nummular eczema: An addition of senile xerosis and unique cutaneous reactivities to environmental aeroallergens. Dermatology 1999; 199:135.
- Bettoli V, Tosti A, Varotti C. Nummular eczema during isotretinoin treatment. J Am Acad Dermatol 1987; 16:617.
- Shen Y, Pielop J, Hsu S. Generalized nummular eczema secondary to peginterferon Alfa-2b and ribavirin combination therapy for hepatitis C infection. Arch Dermatol 2005; 141:102.
- Moore MM, Elpern DJ, Carter DJ. Severe, generalized nummular eczema secondary to interferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin combination therapy in a patient with chronic hepatitis C virus infection. Arch Dermatol 2004; 140:215.
- Iwahira Y, Nagasao T, Shimizu Y, et al. Nummular Eczema of Breast: A Potential Dermatologic Complication after Mastectomy and Subsequent Breast Reconstruction. Plast Surg Int 2015; 2015:209458.
- Wu H, Branding-Bennett HA, Harrist TJ. Noninfectious vesicobullous and vesicopustular diseases. In: Lever's Histopathology of the skin, 10th Edition, Elder DE (Ed), 2008.
- Fleming C, Parry E, Forsyth A, Kemmett D. Patch testing in discoid eczema. Contact Dermatitis 1997; 36:261.
- Kulthanan K, Samutrapong P, Jiamton S, Tuchinda P. Adult-onset atopic dermatitis: a cross-sectional study of natural history and clinical manifestation. Asian Pac J Allergy Immunol 2007; 25:207.
- Julián-Gónzalez RE, Orozco-Covarrubias L, Durán-McKinster C, et al. Less common clinical manifestations of atopic dermatitis: prevalence by age. Pediatr Dermatol 2012; 29:580.
- Roberts H, Orchard D. Methotrexate is a safe and effective treatment for paediatric discoid (nummular) eczema: a case series of 25 children. Australas J Dermatol 2010; 51:128.