Non-coronary cardiac manifestations of systemic lupus erythematosus in adults
- Karen H Costenbader, MD, MPH
Karen H Costenbader, MD, MPH
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- Harvard Medical School
Cardiac disease is common among patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). Cardiac involvement in SLE can be summarized as follows:
●Valvular disease, most often mitral regurgitation and usually hemodynamically insignificant [1,2]
●Pericardial disease, usually an asymptomatic effusion 
●Myocardial dysfunction 
●Coronary artery disease [3-9]
- Moder KG, Miller TD, Tazelaar HD. Cardiac involvement in systemic lupus erythematosus. Mayo Clin Proc 1999; 74:275.
- Roldan CA, Shively BK, Lau CC, et al. Systemic lupus erythematosus valve disease by transesophageal echocardiography and the role of antiphospholipid antibodies. J Am Coll Cardiol 1992; 20:1127.
- Mandell BF. Cardiovascular involvement in systemic lupus erythematosus. Semin Arthritis Rheum 1987; 17:126.
- Schattner A, Liang MH. The cardiovascular burden of lupus: a complex challenge. Arch Intern Med 2003; 163:1507.
- Rosner S, Ginzler EM, Diamond HS, et al. A multicenter study of outcome in systemic lupus erythematosus. II. Causes of death. Arthritis Rheum 1982; 25:612.
- Petri M, Spence D, Bone LR, Hochberg MC. Coronary artery disease risk factors in the Johns Hopkins Lupus Cohort: prevalence, recognition by patients, and preventive practices. Medicine (Baltimore) 1992; 71:291.
- Reveille JD, Bartolucci A, Alarcón GS. Prognosis in systemic lupus erythematosus. Negative impact of increasing age at onset, black race, and thrombocytopenia, as well as causes of death. Arthritis Rheum 1990; 33:37.
- Petri M, Perez-Gutthann S, Spence D, Hochberg MC. Risk factors for coronary artery disease in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Am J Med 1992; 93:513.
- Manzi S, Meilahn EN, Rairie JE, et al. Age-specific incidence rates of myocardial infarction and angina in women with systemic lupus erythematosus: comparison with the Framingham Study. Am J Epidemiol 1997; 145:408.
- Galve E, Candell-Riera J, Pigrau C, et al. Prevalence, morphologic types, and evolution of cardiac valvular disease in systemic lupus erythematosus. N Engl J Med 1988; 319:817.
- Roldan CA, Shively BK, Crawford MH. An echocardiographic study of valvular heart disease associated with systemic lupus erythematosus. N Engl J Med 1996; 335:1424.
- Cervera R, Font J, Paré C, et al. Cardiac disease in systemic lupus erythematosus: prospective study of 70 patients. Ann Rheum Dis 1992; 51:156.
- Sturfelt G, Eskilsson J, Nived O, et al. Cardiovascular disease in systemic lupus erythematosus. A study of 75 patients form a defined population. Medicine (Baltimore) 1992; 71:216.
- Khamashta MA, Cervera R, Asherson RA, et al. Association of antibodies against phospholipids with heart valve disease in systemic lupus erythematosus. Lancet 1990; 335:1541.
- Evangelopoulos ME, Alevizaki M, Toumanidis S, et al. Mitral valve prolapse in systemic lupus erythematosus patients: clinical and immunological aspects. Lupus 2003; 12:308.
- Moyssakis I, Tektonidou MG, Vasilliou VA, et al. Libman-Sacks endocarditis in systemic lupus erythematosus: prevalence, associations, and evolution. Am J Med 2007; 120:636.
- Roldan CA, Qualls CR, Sopko KS, Sibbitt WL Jr. Transthoracic versus transesophageal echocardiography for detection of Libman-Sacks endocarditis: a randomized controlled study. J Rheumatol 2008; 35:224.
- Nihoyannopoulos P, Gomez PM, Joshi J, et al. Cardiac abnormalities in systemic lupus erythematosus. Association with raised anticardiolipin antibodies. Circulation 1990; 82:369.
- Lee JL, Naguwa SM, Cheema GS, Gershwin ME. Revisiting Libman-Sacks endocarditis: a historical review and update. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 2009; 36:126.
- Ong ML, Veerapen K, Chambers JB, et al. Cardiac abnormalities in systemic lupus erythematosus: prevalence and relationship to disease activity. Int J Cardiol 1992; 34:69.
- Hojnik M, George J, Ziporen L, Shoenfeld Y. Heart valve involvement (Libman-Sacks endocarditis) in the antiphospholipid syndrome. Circulation 1996; 93:1579.
- Farzaneh-Far A, Roman MJ, Lockshin MD, et al. Relationship of antiphospholipid antibodies to cardiovascular manifestations of systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum 2006; 54:3918.
- Perez-Villa F, Font J, Azqueta M, et al. Severe valvular regurgitation and antiphospholipid antibodies in systemic lupus erythematosus: a prospective, long-term, followup study. Arthritis Rheum 2005; 53:460.
- Zuily S, Regnault V, Selton-Suty C, et al. Increased risk for heart valve disease associated with antiphospholipid antibodies in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: meta-analysis of echocardiographic studies. Circulation 2011; 124:215.
- Asherson RA, Higenbottam TW, Dinh Xuan AT, et al. Pulmonary hypertension in a lupus clinic: experience with twenty-four patients. J Rheumatol 1990; 17:1292.
- Roldan CA. Valvular disease associated with systemic illness. Cardiol Clin 1998; 16:531.
- Doria A, Iaccarino L, Sarzi-Puttini P, et al. Cardiac involvement in systemic lupus erythematosus. Lupus 2005; 14:683.
- Leung WH, Wong KL, Lau CP, et al. Association between antiphospholipid antibodies and cardiac abnormalities in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Am J Med 1990; 89:411.
- Man BL, Mok CC. Serositis related to systemic lupus erythematosus: prevalence and outcome. Lupus 2005; 14:822.
- Klacsmann PG, Bulkley BH, Hutchins GM. The changed spectrum of purulent pericarditis: an 86 year autopsy experience in 200 patients. Am J Med 1977; 63:666.
- Rosenbaum E, Krebs E, Cohen M, et al. The spectrum of clinical manifestations, outcome and treatment of pericardial tamponade in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: a retrospective study and literature review. Lupus 2009; 18:608.
- Hunder GG, Mullen BJ, McDuffie FC. Complement in pericardial fluid of lupus erythematosus. Studies in two patients. Ann Intern Med 1974; 80:453.
- Guindo J, Rodriguez de la Serna A, Ramió J, et al. Recurrent pericarditis. Relief with colchicine. Circulation 1990; 82:1117.
- Cauduro SA, Moder KG, Tsang TS, Seward JB. Clinical and echocardiographic characteristics of hemodynamically significant pericardial effusions in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Am J Cardiol 2003; 92:1370.
- Apte M, McGwin G Jr, Vilá LM, et al. Associated factors and impact of myocarditis in patients with SLE from LUMINA, a multiethnic US cohort (LV). [corrected]. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2008; 47:362.
- Borenstein DG, Fye WB, Arnett FC, Stevens MB. The myocarditis of systemic lupus erythematosus: association with myositis. Ann Intern Med 1978; 89:619.
- Keating RJ, Bhatia S, Amin S, et al. Hydroxychloroquine-induced cardiotoxicity in a 39-year-old woman with systemic lupus erythematosus and systolic dysfunction. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2005; 18:981.
- Nord JE, Shah PK, Rinaldi RZ, Weisman MH. Hydroxychloroquine cardiotoxicity in systemic lupus erythematosus: a report of 2 cases and review of the literature. Semin Arthritis Rheum 2004; 33:336.
- Bourré-Tessier J, Clarke AE, Huynh T, et al. Prolonged corrected QT interval in anti-Ro/SSA-positive adults with systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2011; 63:1031.
- Llanos C, Friedman DM, Saxena A, et al. Anatomical and pathological findings in hearts from fetuses and infants with cardiac manifestations of neonatal lupus. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2012; 51:1086.
- Utset TO, Ward AB, Thompson TL, Green SL. Significance of chronic tachycardia in systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2013; 65:827.
- VALVULAR DISEASE
- Verrucous endocarditis (Libman-Sacks endocarditis)
- Antiphospholipid antibodies and valvular disease
- Preventing bacterial endocarditis
- PERICARDIAL DISEASE
- Course and treatment
- Treatment of myocarditis
- CONDUCTION ABNORMALITIES
- Congenital heart block
- Chronic resting tachycardia
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS