Neurologic complications of bacterial meningitis in adults
- Daniel J Sexton, MD
Daniel J Sexton, MD
- Editor-in-Chief — Infectious Diseases
- Section Editor — Bacterial Infections
- Professor of Medicine
- Duke University Medical Center
Bacterial meningitis continues to result in substantial morbidity and mortality despite the availability of effective antimicrobial therapy. The risk of dying or of developing complications is related to the age and general health of the patient, to the causative pathogen, to the severity and duration of illness at the time of presentation, and occasionally to delays in the initiation of antibiotic therapy. (See "Initial therapy and prognosis of bacterial meningitis in adults".)
Complications due to bacterial meningitis can be divided into systemic and neurologic. Systemic complications, such as septic shock, disseminated intravascular coagulation, acute respiratory distress syndrome, and septic or reactive arthritis, are usually the consequence of the bacteremia that frequently accompanies meningitis .
The neurologic complications of bacterial meningitis include:
●Impaired mental status
●Increased intracranial pressure and cerebral edema
- Pfister HW, Feiden W, Einhäupl KM. Spectrum of complications during bacterial meningitis in adults. Results of a prospective clinical study. Arch Neurol 1993; 50:575.
- Durand ML, Calderwood SB, Weber DJ, et al. Acute bacterial meningitis in adults. A review of 493 episodes. N Engl J Med 1993; 328:21.
- Aronin SI, Peduzzi P, Quagliarello VJ. Community-acquired bacterial meningitis: risk stratification for adverse clinical outcome and effect of antibiotic timing. Ann Intern Med 1998; 129:862.
- de Gans J, van de Beek D, European Dexamethasone in Adulthood Bacterial Meningitis Study Investigators. Dexamethasone in adults with bacterial meningitis. N Engl J Med 2002; 347:1549.
- van de Beek D, de Gans J, Spanjaard L, et al. Clinical features and prognostic factors in adults with bacterial meningitis. N Engl J Med 2004; 351:1849.
- Bijlsma MW, Brouwer MC, Bossuyt PM, et al. Risk scores for outcome in bacterial meningitis: Systematic review and external validation study. J Infect 2016; 73:393.
- Talan DA, Zibulewsky J. Relationship of clinical presentation to time to antibiotics for the emergency department management of suspected bacterial meningitis. Ann Emerg Med 1993; 22:1733.
- Tuomanen E, Hengstler B, Rich R, et al. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents in the therapy for experimental pneumococcal meningitis. J Infect Dis 1987; 155:985.
- Domingo P, Pomar V, de Benito N, Coll P. The spectrum of acute bacterial meningitis in elderly patients. BMC Infect Dis 2013; 13:108.
- Tunkel AR, Scheld WM. Pathogenesis and pathophysiology of bacterial meningitis. Clin Microbiol Rev 1993; 6:118.
- Tureen JH, Dworkin RJ, Kennedy SL, et al. Loss of cerebrovascular autoregulation in experimental meningitis in rabbits. J Clin Invest 1990; 85:577.
- Goitein KJ, Tamir I. Cerebral perfusion pressure in central nervous system infections of infancy and childhood. J Pediatr 1983; 103:40.
- Zoons E, Weisfelt M, de Gans J, et al. Seizures in adults with bacterial meningitis. Neurology 2008; 70:2109.
- Feldman WE. Relation of concentrations of bacteria and bacterial antigen in cerebrospinal fluid to prognosis in patients with bacterial meningitis. N Engl J Med 1977; 296:433.
- Annegers JF, Hauser WA, Beghi E, et al. The risk of unprovoked seizures after encephalitis and meningitis. Neurology 1988; 38:1407.
- DODGE PR, SWARTZ MN. BACTERIAL MENINGITIS--A REVIEW OF SELECTED ASPECTS. II. SPECIAL NEUROLOGIC PROBLEMS, POSTMENINGITIC COMPLACATIONS AND CLINICOPATHOLOGICAL CORRELATIONS. N Engl J Med 1965; 272:954.
- Steven NM, Nathwani D. Facial palsy, meningococcal meningitis, and reactivation of herpes simplex virus. Clin Infect Dis 1993; 16:181.
- Pfister HW, Borasio GD, Dirnagl U, et al. Cerebrovascular complications of bacterial meningitis in adults. Neurology 1992; 42:1497.
- Schut ES, Brouwer MC, de Gans J, et al. Delayed cerebral thrombosis after initial good recovery from pneumococcal meningitis. Neurology 2009; 73:1988.
- Katchanov J, Heuschmann PU, Endres M, Weber JR. Cerebral infarction in bacterial meningitis: predictive factors and outcome. J Neurol 2010; 257:716.
- Gironell A, Domingo P, Mancebo J, et al. Hemorrhagic stroke as a complication of bacterial meningitis in adults: report of three cases and review. Clin Infect Dis 1995; 21:1488.
- Perry JR, Bilbao JM, Gray T. Fatal basilar vasculopathy complicating bacterial meningitis. Stroke 1992; 23:1175.
- Kaplan SL, Woods CR. Neurologic complications of bacterial meningitis in children. Curr Clin Top Infect Dis 1992; 12:37.
- Dodge PR, Davis H, Feigin RD, et al. Prospective evaluation of hearing impairment as a sequela of acute bacterial meningitis. N Engl J Med 1984; 311:869.
- Bhatt SM, Lauretano A, Cabellos C, et al. Progression of hearing loss in experimental pneumococcal meningitis: correlation with cerebrospinal fluid cytochemistry. J Infect Dis 1993; 167:675.
- Merchant SN, Gopen Q. A human temporal bone study of acute bacterial meningogenic labyrinthitis. Am J Otol 1996; 17:375.
- Kastenbauer S, Pfister HW. Pneumococcal meningitis in adults: spectrum of complications and prognostic factors in a series of 87 cases. Brain 2003; 126:1015.
- Worsøe L, Cayé-Thomasen P, Brandt CT, et al. Factors associated with the occurrence of hearing loss after pneumococcal meningitis. Clin Infect Dis 2010; 51:917.
- Klein M, Schmidt C, Kastenbauer S, et al. MyD88-dependent immune response contributes to hearing loss in experimental pneumococcal meningitis. J Infect Dis 2007; 195:1189.
- Hoogman M, van de Beek D, Weisfelt M, et al. Cognitive outcome in adults after bacterial meningitis. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2007; 78:1092.
- van de Beek D, Schmand B, de Gans J, et al. Cognitive impairment in adults with good recovery after bacterial meningitis. J Infect Dis 2002; 186:1047.
- Weisfelt M, Hoogman M, van de Beek D, et al. Dexamethasone and long-term outcome in adults with bacterial meningitis. Ann Neurol 2006; 60:456.
- Kasanmoentalib ES, Brouwer MC, van der Ende A, van de Beek D. Hydrocephalus in adults with community-acquired bacterial meningitis. Neurology 2010; 75:918.
- Wang KW, Chang WN, Chang HW, et al. Clinical relevance of hydrocephalus in bacterial meningitis in adults. Surg Neurol 2005; 64:61.
- Bodilsen J, Schønheyder HC, Nielsen H. Hydrocephalus is a rare outcome in community-acquired bacterial meningitis in adults: a retrospective analysis. BMC Infect Dis 2013; 13:321.
- Seay AR. Spinal cord dysfunction complicating bacterial meningitis. Arch Neurol 1984; 41:545.
- Hughes DC, Raghavan A, Mordekar SR, et al. Role of imaging in the diagnosis of acute bacterial meningitis and its complications. Postgrad Med J 2010; 86:478.
- Ramos-Estebanez C, Yavagal D. Meningitis complicated by mycotic aneurysms. Oxf Med Case Reports 2014; 2014:40.
- RISK FACTORS
- NEUROLOGIC COMPLICATIONS
- Altered mental status
- Increased intracranial pressure
- Focal neurologic deficits
- - Cranial nerve palsy
- - Hemiparesis
- Cerebrovascular complications
- Sensorineural hearing loss
- Intellectual impairment
- Unusual complications
- SOCIETY GUIDELINE LINKS
- INFORMATION FOR PATIENTS