Neonatal and infantile erythroderma
- Moise L Levy, MD
Moise L Levy, MD
- Section Editor — Pediatric Dermatology
- Professor of Pediatrics and Medicine (Dermatology)
- Dell Medical School, University of Texas, Austin
- Clinical Professor of Dermatology and Pediatrics
- Baylor College of Medicine
Erythroderma is a diffuse and persistent erythema of the skin involving at least 90 percent of the body surface . Although relatively uncommon in pediatric patients, erythroderma may be the clinical presentation of a wide range of acquired and inherited diseases, including infections, inflammatory skin diseases, ichthyoses, and congenital immunodeficiencies.
This topic will review the causes of erythroderma in neonates and infants and the approach to the diagnosis and management. Erythroderma in adults is discussed separately. (See "Erythroderma in adults".)
Neonatal and infantile erythrodermas are associated with a wide range of cutaneous and systemic disorders, including [1-3]:
●Infectious diseases (eg, staphylococcal scalded skin syndrome, congenital cutaneous candidiasis, syphilis)
●Inflammatory diseases (eg, atopic dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis)
- Levy ML. Erythrodermas, Immunodeficiency, and Metabolic Disorders. In: Neonatal and Infant Dermatology, 3rd ed, Eichenfield LF, Frieden IJ, Mathes EF, Zaenglein AL (Eds), Elsevier, London 2014. p.265.
- Fraitag S, Bodemer C. Neonatal erythroderma. Curr Opin Pediatr 2010; 22:438.
- Ott H, Hütten M, Baron JM, et al. Neonatal and infantile erythrodermas. J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 2008; 6:1070.
- Handler MZ, Schwartz RA. Staphylococcal scalded skin syndrome: diagnosis and management in children and adults. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2014; 28:1418.
- Darmstadt GL, Dinulos JG, Miller Z. Congenital cutaneous candidiasis: clinical presentation, pathogenesis, and management guidelines. Pediatrics 2000; 105:438.
- Lanternier F, Cypowyj S, Picard C, et al. Primary immunodeficiencies underlying fungal infections. Curr Opin Pediatr 2013; 25:736.
- Antaya RJ, Robinson DM. Blisters and pustules in the newborn. Pediatr Ann 2010; 39:635.
- Zhou Q, Wang L, Chen C, et al. A case series of 130 neonates with congenital syphilis: preterm neonates had more clinical evidences of infection than term neonates. Neonatology 2012; 102:152.
- Workowski KA, Bolan GA, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Sexually transmitted diseases treatment guidelines, 2015. MMWR Recomm Rep 2015; 64:1.
- Marquez L, Levy ML, Munoz FM, Palazzi DL. A report of three cases and review of intrauterine herpes simplex virus infection. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2011; 30:153.
- Takahashi H, Takahashi I, Tsuji H, et al. Analysis of psoriatic patients registered in Asahikawa Medical College Hospital from 1983 to 2007. J Dermatol 2009; 36:632.
- Kumar B, Jain R, Sandhu K, et al. Epidemiology of childhood psoriasis: a study of 419 patients from northern India. Int J Dermatol 2004; 43:654.
- Bender AM, Levy ML. The child with recalcitrant dermatitis: when to worry? Dermatol Clin 2013; 31:223.
- Chang SE, Choi JH, Koh JK. Congenital erythrodermic psoriasis. Br J Dermatol 1999; 140:538.
- Salleras M, Sanchez-Regaña M, Umbert P. Congenital erythrodermic psoriasis: case report and literature review. Pediatr Dermatol 1995; 12:231.
- Leclerc-Mercier S, Bodemer C, Bourdon-Lanoy E, et al. Early skin biopsy is helpful for the diagnosis and management of neonatal and infantile erythrodermas. J Cutan Pathol 2010; 37:249.
- Koga H, Kokubo T, Akaishi M, et al. Neonatal onset diffuse cutaneous mastocytosis: a case report and review of the literature. Pediatr Dermatol 2011; 28:542.
- Lange M, Niedoszytko M, Renke J, et al. Clinical aspects of paediatric mastocytosis: a review of 101 cases. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2013; 27:97.
- Lange M, Niedoszytko M, Nedoszytko B, et al. Diffuse cutaneous mastocytosis: analysis of 10 cases and a brief review of the literature. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2012; 26:1565.
- Castells M, Metcalfe DD, Escribano L. Diagnosis and treatment of cutaneous mastocytosis in children: practical recommendations. Am J Clin Dermatol 2011; 12:259.
- Alvarez-Twose I, Vañó-Galván S, Sánchez-Muñoz L, et al. Increased serum baseline tryptase levels and extensive skin involvement are predictors for the severity of mast cell activation episodes in children with mastocytosis. Allergy 2012; 67:813.
- Oji V, Tadini G, Akiyama M, et al. Revised nomenclature and classification of inherited ichthyoses: results of the First Ichthyosis Consensus Conference in Sorèze 2009. J Am Acad Dermatol 2010; 63:607.
- Auada MP, Taube MB, Collares EF, et al. Sjögren-Larsson syndrome: biochemical defects and follow up in three cases. Eur J Dermatol 2002; 12:263.
- Pruszkowski A, Bodemer C, Fraitag S, et al. Neonatal and infantile erythrodermas: a retrospective study of 51 patients. Arch Dermatol 2000; 136:875.
- Al-Herz W, Nanda A. Skin manifestations in primary immunodeficient children. Pediatr Dermatol 2011; 28:494.
- Lehman H. Skin manifestations of primary immune deficiency. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 2014; 46:112.
- Abrams M, Paller A. Genetic immunodeficiency diseases. Adv Dermatol 2007; 23:197.
- Notarangelo LD. Primary immunodeficiencies. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010; 125:S182.
- Puck JM. The case for newborn screening for severe combined immunodeficiency and related disorders. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2011; 1246:108.
- Freeman AF, Holland SM. The hyper-IgE syndromes. Immunol Allergy Clin North Am 2008; 28:277.
- Freeman AF, Holland SM. Clinical manifestations of hyper IgE syndromes. Dis Markers 2010; 29:123.
- Engelhardt KR, McGhee S, Winkler S, et al. Large deletions and point mutations involving the dedicator of cytokinesis 8 (DOCK8) in the autosomal-recessive form of hyper-IgE syndrome. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009; 124:1289.
- Chu EY, Freeman AF, Jing H, et al. Cutaneous manifestations of DOCK8 deficiency syndrome. Arch Dermatol 2012; 148:79.
- Yu S, Graf WD, Shprintzen RJ. Genomic disorders on chromosome 22. Curr Opin Pediatr 2012; 24:665.
- Bedocs LA, O'Regan GM, Bruckner Al. Red, Scaly Babies: Neonatal Erythroderma. NeoReviews 2011; 12:e325.
- Baker MW, Grossman WJ, Laessig RH, et al. Development of a routine newborn screening protocol for severe combined immunodeficiency. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009; 124:522.
- Allison DS, El-Azhary RA, Calobrisi SD, Dicken CH. Pityriasis rubra pilaris in children. J Am Acad Dermatol 2002; 47:386.
- Edwards AM, Capková S. Oral and topical sodium cromoglicate in the treatment of diffuse cutaneous mastocytosis in an infant. BMJ Case Rep 2011; 2011.
- Craiglow BG. Ichthyosis in the newborn. Semin Perinatol 2013; 37:26.
- Digiovanna JJ, Mauro T, Milstone LM, et al. Systemic retinoids in the management of ichthyoses and related skin types. Dermatol Ther 2013; 26:26.
- Al-Dhalimi MA. Neonatal and infantile erythroderma: a clinical and follow-up study of 42 cases. J Dermatol 2007; 34:302.
- Infectious diseases
- - Staphylococcal scalded skin syndrome
- - Staphylococcal toxic shock syndrome
- - Congenital cutaneous candidiasis
- - Syphilis
- - Herpes simplex
- Inflammatory diseases
- - Atopic dermatitis
- - Psoriasis
- - Seborrheic dermatitis
- - Pityriasis rubra pilaris
- - Diffuse cutaneous mastocytosis
- Inherited ichthyoses
- - Nonsyndromic
- - Syndromic
- - Netherton syndrome
- - Severe combined immunodeficiency (SCID)
- - Hyperimmunoglobulin E syndrome
- - Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome
- - DiGeorge syndrome
- Metabolic disorders
- Drug-induced erythroderma
- PATIENT EVALUATION AND DIAGNOSIS
- Physical examination
- Laboratory tests
- Skin biopsy
- Genetic testing
- Initial management
- Treatment of underlying conditions
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS