Large gastric folds: Hyperplastic and nonhyperplastic gastropathies
- Mark Feldman, MD, MACP, AGAF, FACG
Mark Feldman, MD, MACP, AGAF, FACG
- Section Editor — Acid Peptic Disease
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas
- Clinical Professor of Internal Medicine
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical School at Dallas
- Pamela J Jensen, MD
Pamela J Jensen, MD
- Attending Pathologist
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas
A variety of proliferative, inflammatory, and infiltrative conditions are associated with enlarged or giant mucosal folds in the stomach (diffuse mucosal hypertrophy) . These conditions have a similar appearance despite primary involvement of the mucosa, submucosa, or both in specific conditions. Thus, the underlying cause of the large mucosal folds cannot be determined from gross observation alone.
In one series, endoscopic snare biopsy was performed in 52 patients with large gastric folds (greater than 1.0 cm in width and persisting after air insufflation) . The diagnoses included the following:
●Chronic gastritis/lymphoid hyperplasia – 40 percent
●Benign tumors – 16 percent
●Gastric malignancy – 12 percentTo continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Yardley JH, Hendrix TR. Gastritis, duodenitis, and associated ulcerative lesions. In: Textbook of Gastroenterology, 3rd ed, Yamada T, Alpers DH, Owyang C, Powell DW, Silverstein FE (Eds), Lippincott, Philadelphia 1999.
- Komorowski RA, Caya JG, Geenen JE. The morphologic spectrum of large gastric folds: utility of the snare biopsy. Gastrointest Endosc 1986; 32:190.
- Toubia N, Schubert ML. Menetrier's Disease. Curr Treat Options Gastroenterol 2008; 11:103.
- Riddell R, Jain D. Stomach and proximal duodenum: inflammatory and miscellaneous disorders. In: Lewin, Weinstein and Riddell's Gastrointestinal Pathology and its Clinical Implications, 2nd ed, Bernstein C, Guha S (Eds), Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia 2014. p.599.
- Dempsey PJ, Goldenring JR, Soroka CJ, et al. Possible role of transforming growth factor alpha in the pathogenesis of Ménétrier's disease: supportive evidence form humans and transgenic mice. Gastroenterology 1992; 103:1950.
- Coffey RJ, Washington MK, Corless CL, Heinrich MC. Ménétrier disease and gastrointestinal stromal tumors: hyperproliferative disorders of the stomach. J Clin Invest 2007; 117:70.
- Rothenberg M, Pai R, Stuart K. Successful use of octreotide to treat Ménétrier's disease: a rare cause of abdominal pain, weight loss, edema, and hypoalbuminemia. Dig Dis Sci 2009; 54:1403.
- Chen D, Aihara T, Zhao CM, et al. Differentiation of the gastric mucosa. I. Role of histamine in control of function and integrity of oxyntic mucosa: understanding gastric physiology through disruption of targeted genes. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 2006; 291:G539.
- Geist M, Fich A, Mogle P. Menetrier's disease: evolution of disease under histamine-2 receptor antagonists. Am J Gastroenterol 1992; 87:648.
- Nalle SC, Turner JR. Menetrier's disease therapy: rebooting mucosal signaling. Sci Transl Med 2009; 1:8ps10.
- Wang X, Huong SM, Chiu ML, et al. Epidermal growth factor receptor is a cellular receptor for human cytomegalovirus. Nature 2003; 424:456.
- Sferra TJ, Pawel BR, Qualman SJ, Li BU. Ménétrier disease of childhood: role of cytomegalovirus and transforming growth factor alpha. J Pediatr 1996; 128:213.
- Scharschmidt BF. The natural history of hypertrophic gastrophy (Menetrier's disease). Report of a case with 16 year follow-up and review of 120 cases from the literature. Am J Med 1977; 63:644.
- Searcy RM, Malagelada JR. Ménétrièr's disease and idiopathic hypertrophic gastropathy. Ann Intern Med 1984; 100:565.
- Fieber SS, Rickert RR. Hyperplastic Gastropathy. Analysis of 50 selected cases from 1955-1980. Am J Gastroenterol 1981; 76:321.
- Meuwissen SG, Ridwan BU, Hasper HJ, Innemee G. Hypertrophic protein-losing gastropathy. A retrospective analysis of 40 cases in The Netherlands. The Dutch Ménétrier Study Group. Scand J Gastroenterol Suppl 1992; 194:1.
- Kelly DG, Miller LJ, Malagelada JR, et al. Giant hypertrophic gastropathy (Ménétrier's disease): pharmacologic effects on protein leakage and mucosal ultrastructure. Gastroenterology 1982; 83:581.
- Sundt TM 3rd, Compton CC, Malt RA. Ménétrier's disease. A trivalent gastropathy. Ann Surg 1988; 208:694.
- Berry EM, Ben-Dov Y, Freund U. Spontaneous remission of protein-losing gastropathy associated with Menetrier's disease. A plea for conservative management. Arch Intern Med 1980; 140:99.
- Komorowski RA, Caya JG. Hyperplastic gastropathy. Clinicopathologic correlation. Am J Surg Pathol 1991; 15:577.
- Wolfsen HC, Carpenter HA, Talley NJ. Menetrier's disease: a form of hypertrophic gastropathy or gastritis? Gastroenterology 1993; 104:1310.
- Rich A, Toro TZ, Tanksley J, et al. Distinguishing Ménétrier's disease from its mimics. Gut 2010; 59:1617.
- Hoffer V, Finkelstein Y, Balter J, et al. Ganciclovir treatment in Ménétrier's disease. Acta Paediatr 2003; 92:983.
- Wald A, Frenkel LM, Benjamin DL, Christie DL. Cytomegalovirus gastropathy in a child: resolution after ganciclovir therapy. Clin Infect Dis 1998; 26:199.
- Yeaton P, Frierson HF Jr. Octreotide reduces enteral protein losses in Ménétrier's disease. Am J Gastroenterol 1993; 88:95.
- Green BT, Branch MS. Menetrier's disease treated with octreotide long-acting release. Gastrointest Endosc 2004; 60:1028.
- Settle SH, Washington K, Lind C, et al. Chronic treatment of Ménétrier's disease with Erbitux: clinical efficacy and insight into pathophysiology. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2005; 3:654.
- Fiske WH, Tanksley J, Nam KT, et al. Efficacy of cetuximab in the treatment of Menetrier's disease. Sci Transl Med 2009; 1:8ra18.
- Groisman GM, George J, Berman D, Harpaz N. Resolution of protein-losing hypertrophic lymphocytic gastritis with therapeutic eradication of Helicobacter pylori. Am J Gastroenterol 1994; 89:1548.
- Kawasaki M, Hizawa K, Aoyagi K, et al. Ménétrièr's disease associated with Helicobacter pylori infection: resolution of enlarged gastric folds and hypoproteinemia after antibacterial treatment. Am J Gastroenterol 1997; 92:1909.
- Bayerdörffer E, Ritter MM, Hatz R, et al. Healing of protein losing hypertrophic gastropathy by eradication of Helicobacter pylori--is Helicobacter pylori a pathogenic factor in Ménétrier's disease? Gut 1994; 35:701.
- Madisch A, Miehlke S, Neuber F, et al. Healing of lymphocytic gastritis after Helicobacter pylori eradication therapy--a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled multicentre trial. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2006; 23:473.
- CHUSID EL, HIRSCH RL, COLCHER H. SPECTRUM OF HYPERTROPHIC GASTROPATHY; GIANT RUGAL FOLDS, POLYPOSIS, AND CARCINOMA OF THE STOMACH--CASE REPORT AND REVIEW OF THE LITERATURE. Arch Intern Med 1964; 114:621.
- Wood MG, Bates C, Brown RC, Losowsky MS. Intramucosal carcinoma of the gastric antrum complicating Menetrier's disease. J Clin Pathol 1983; 36:1071.
- Spengel K, Olyaee M, Fan F. Pathologic quiz case: a 39-year-old woman with nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and weight loss. Ménétrier disease. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2005; 129:417.
- Herz R, Lombardi E, Wipping F, Stolte M. [Helicobacter pylori-associated hypertrophic gastritis. Imitation of Ménétrier disease]. Fortschr Med 1992; 110:37.
- Stolte M, Bätz C, Eidt S. Giant fold gastritis--a special form of Helicobacter pylori associated gastritis. Z Gastroenterol 1993; 31:289.
- Tran T, Hung P, Laucirica R, et al. The clinical significance of thickened gastric folds found on upper gastrointestinal series. J Clin Gastroenterol 2002; 35:138.
- STEMPIEN SJ, DAGRADI AE, REINGOLD IM, et al. HYPERTROPHIC HYPERSECRETORY GASTROPATHY. ANALYSIS OF 15 CASES AND A REVIEW OF THE PERTINENT LITERATURE. Am J Dig Dis 1964; 9:471.
- Tan DT, Stempien SJ, Dagradi AE. The clinical spectrum of hypertrophic hypersecretory gastropathy. Report of 50 patients. Gastrointest Endosc 1971; 18:69.
- Simson JN. Hyperplastic gastropathy. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 1985; 291:1298.
- Yamada M, Sumazaki R, Adachi H, et al. Resolution of protein-losing hypertrophic gastropathy by eradication of Helicobacter pylori. Eur J Pediatr 1997; 156:182.
- Watanabe K, Beinborn M, Nagamatsu S, et al. Ménétrier's disease in a patient with Helicobacter pylori infection is linked to elevated glucagon-like peptide-2 activity. Scand J Gastroenterol 2005; 40:477.
- Ishikawa T, Ando T, Obayashi H, et al. Helicobacter pylori isolated from a patient with Ménétrier's disease increases hepatocyte growth factor mRNA expression in gastric fibroblasts: comparison with Helicobacter pylori isolated from other gastric diseases. Dig Dis Sci 2008; 53:1785.
- Ginès A, Pellise M, Fernández-Esparrach G, et al. Endoscopic ultrasonography in patients with large gastric folds at endoscopy and biopsies negative for malignancy: predictors of malignant disease and clinical impact. Am J Gastroenterol 2006; 101:64.
- Kindblom LG, Angervall L, Santesson B, Selander S. Cronkhite-Canada syndrome. Case report. Cancer 1977; 39:2651.
- Overholt BF, Jeffries GH. Hypertrophic, hypersecretory protein-losing gastropathy. Gastroenterology 1970; 58:80.
- Brooks AM, Isenberg J, Goldstein H. Giant thickening of the gastric mucosa with acid hypersecretion and protein-losing gastropathy. Gastroenterology 1970; 58:73.
- HYPERPLASTIC GASTROPATHIES
- Ménétrier's disease
- - Pathogenesis
- - Clinical manifestations
- - Diagnosis
- - Treatment
- - Prognosis
- Zollinger-Ellison syndrome
- LARGE GASTRIC FOLDS ASSOCIATED WITH OTHER CONDITIONS
- H. pylori gastritis
- Gastric neoplasia
- Miscellaneous causes
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS