Mitral valve prolapse syndrome
- Matthew J Sorrentino, MD, FACC
Matthew J Sorrentino, MD, FACC
- Professor of Medicine
- Pritzker School of Medicine of the University of Chicago
Mitral valve prolapse (MVP) is associated with a wide variety of clinical features. There are potentially serious arrhythmic and nonarrhythmic complications such as sudden death and infective endocarditis. (See "Arrhythmic complications of mitral valve prolapse" and "Nonarrhythmic complications of mitral valve prolapse".)
In addition, a variety of more nonspecific complaints have been associated with MVP. Atypical or non-anginal chest pain is the most common symptom attributed to MVP. Other manifestations may include:
●Exercise intoleranceTo continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Freed LA, Levy D, Levine RA, et al. Prevalence and clinical outcome of mitral-valve prolapse. N Engl J Med 1999; 341:1.
- Devereux RB, Kramer-Fox R, Brown WT, et al. Relation between clinical features of the mitral prolapse syndrome and echocardiographically documented mitral valve prolapse. J Am Coll Cardiol 1986; 8:763.
- Gaffney FA, Karlsson ES, Campbell W, et al. Autonomic dysfunction in women with mitral valve prolapse syndrome. Circulation 1979; 59:894.
- Boudoulas H, Kolibash AJ Jr, Baker P, et al. Mitral valve prolapse and the mitral valve prolapse syndrome: a diagnostic classification and pathogenesis of symptoms. Am Heart J 1989; 118:796.
- Taylor AA, Davies AO, Mares A, et al. Spectrum of dysautonomia in mitral valvular prolapse. Am J Med 1989; 86:267.
- Katerndahl DA. Panic and prolapse. Meta-analysis. J Nerv Ment Dis 1993; 181:539.
- Scordo KA. Effects of aerobic exercise training on symptomatic women with mitral valve prolapse. Am J Cardiol 1991; 67:863.
- Lichodziejewska B, Kłoś J, Rezler J, et al. Clinical symptoms of mitral valve prolapse are related to hypomagnesemia and attenuated by magnesium supplementation. Am J Cardiol 1997; 79:768.
- Amoozgar H, Rafizadeh H, Ajami G, Borzoee M. The prevalence of hypomagnesaemia in pediatric patients with mitral valve prolapse syndrome and the effect of mg therapy. Int Cardiovasc Res J 2012; 6:92.