- Stanley L Schrier, MD
Stanley L Schrier, MD
- Editor-in-Chief — Hematology
- Section Editor — Myeloproliferative Disorders; Red Cell Disorders
- Professor of Medicine
- Stanford University School of Medicine
Microcytosis is a descriptive term for red blood cell (RBC) size smaller than the normal range. The causes are numerous, and the evaluation depends on a synthesis of clinical and laboratory information.
This topic discusses causes of microcytosis and microcytic anemia. Additional topics discuss the following:
●Macrocytosis/macrocytic anemia – (See "Macrocytosis/Macrocytic anemia".)
●General anemia evaluation
•Child – (See "Approach to the child with anemia".)
- Brugnara C, Mohandas N. Red cell indices in classification and treatment of anemias: from M.M. Wintrobes's original 1934 classification to the third millennium. Curr Opin Hematol 2013; 20:222.
- Saxena S, Weiner JM, Carmel R. Red blood cell distribution width in untreated pernicious anemia. Am J Clin Pathol 1988; 89:660.
- Harkins LS, Sirel JM, McKay PJ, et al. Discriminant analysis of macrocytic red cells. Clin Lab Haematol 1994; 16:225.
- Eldibany MM, Totonchi KF, Joseph NJ, Rhone D. Usefulness of certain red blood cell indices in diagnosing and differentiating thalassemia trait from iron-deficiency anemia. Am J Clin Pathol 1999; 111:676.
- Madan N, Sikka M, Sharma S, et al. Red cell indices and discriminant functions in the detection of beta-thalassaemia trait in a population with high prevalence of iron deficiency anaemia. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 1999; 42:55.
- AlFadhli SM, Al-Awadhi AM, AlKhaldi D. Validity assessment of nine discriminant functions used for the differentiation between iron deficiency anemia and thalassemia minor. J Trop Pediatr 2007; 53:93.
- Ferrara M, Capozzi L, Russo R, et al. Reliability of red blood cell indices and formulas to discriminate between beta thalassemia trait and iron deficiency in children. Hematology 2010; 15:112.
- Schoorl M, Schoorl M, Linssen J, et al. Efficacy of advanced discriminating algorithms for screening on iron-deficiency anemia and β-thalassemia trait: a multicenter evaluation. Am J Clin Pathol 2012; 138:300.
- Tonelli M, Sacks F, Arnold M, et al. Relation Between Red Blood Cell Distribution Width and Cardiovascular Event Rate in People With Coronary Disease. Circulation 2008; 117:163.
- Allen LA, Felker GM, Mehra MR, et al. Validation and potential mechanisms of red cell distribution width as a prognostic marker in heart failure. J Card Fail 2010; 16:230.
- Lippi G, Sanchis-Gomar F, Danese E, Montagnana M. Association of red blood cell distribution width with plasma lipids in a general population of unselected outpatients. Kardiol Pol 2013; 71:931.
- Grant BJ, Kudalkar DP, Muti P, et al. Relation between lung function and RBC distribution width in a population-based study. Chest 2003; 124:494.
- Garcez ME, Peres W, Salvador M. Oxidative stress and hematologic and biochemical parameters in individuals with Down syndrome. Mayo Clin Proc 2005; 80:1607.
- Kobayashi S, Moriya H, Aso K, Ohtake T. Vitamin E-bonded hemodialyzer improves atherosclerosis associated with a rheological improvement of circulating red blood cells. Kidney Int 2003; 63:1881.
- Patel HH, Patel HR, Higgins JM. Modulation of red blood cell population dynamics is a fundamental homeostatic response to disease. Am J Hematol 2015; 90:422.
- Lam AP, Gundabolu K, Sridharan A, et al. Multiplicative interaction between mean corpuscular volume and red cell distribution width in predicting mortality of elderly patients with and without anemia. Am J Hematol 2013; 88:E245.
- Patel KV, Ferrucci L, Ershler WB, et al. Red blood cell distribution width and the risk of death in middle-aged and older adults. Arch Intern Med 2009; 169:515.
- Perlstein TS, Weuve J, Pfeffer MA, Beckman JA. Red blood cell distribution width and mortality risk in a community-based prospective cohort. Arch Intern Med 2009; 169:588.
- Horne BD, May HT, Muhlestein JB, et al. Exceptional mortality prediction by risk scores from common laboratory tests. Am J Med 2009; 122:550.
- Jaiswal S, Fontanillas P, Flannick J, et al. Age-related clonal hematopoiesis associated with adverse outcomes. N Engl J Med 2014; 371:2488.
- Veeranna V, Zalawadiya SK, Panaich S, et al. Comparative analysis of red cell distribution width and high sensitivity C-reactive protein for coronary heart disease mortality prediction in multi-ethnic population: findings from the 1999-2004 NHANES. Int J Cardiol 2013; 168:5156.
- Ueda T, Kawakami R, Horii M, et al. High mean corpuscular volume is a new indicator of prognosis in acute decompensated heart failure. Circ J 2013; 77:2766.
- Poludasu S, Marmur JD, Weedon J, et al. Red cell distribution width (RDW) as a predictor of long-term mortality in patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention. Thromb Haemost 2009; 102:581.
- Kurt M, Tanboga IH, Buyukkaya E, et al. Relation of red cell distribution width with CHA2DS2-VASc score in patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost 2014; 20:687.
- Güngör B, Özcan KS, Erdinler İ, et al. Elevated levels of RDW is associated with non-valvular atrial fibrillation. J Thromb Thrombolysis 2014; 37:404.
- Adamsson Eryd S, Borné Y, Melander O, et al. Red blood cell distribution width is associated with incidence of atrial fibrillation. J Intern Med 2014; 275:84.
- Providência R, Ferreira MJ, Gonçalves L, et al. Mean corpuscular volume and red cell distribution width as predictors of left atrial stasis in patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation. Am J Cardiovasc Dis 2013; 3:91.
- Saliba W, Barnett-Griness O, Elias M, Rennert G. The association between red cell distribution width and stroke in patients with atrial fibrillation. Am J Med 2015; 128:192.e11.
- Kim J, Kim YD, Song TJ, et al. Red blood cell distribution width is associated with poor clinical outcome in acute cerebral infarction. Thromb Haemost 2012; 108:349.
- Aung N, Dworakowski R, Byrne J, et al. Progressive rise in red cell distribution width is associated with poor outcome after transcatheter aortic valve implantation. Heart 2013; 99:1261.
- Rezende SM, Lijfering WM, Rosendaal FR, Cannegieter SC. Hematologic variables and venous thrombosis: red cell distribution width and blood monocyte count are associated with an increased risk. Haematologica 2014; 99:194.
- Demir R, Saritemur M, Ozel L, et al. Red cell distribution width identifies cerebral venous sinus thrombosis in patients with headache. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost 2015; 21:354.
- Solak Y, Yilmaz MI, Saglam M, et al. Red cell distribution width is independently related to endothelial dysfunction in patients with chronic kidney disease. Am J Med Sci 2014; 347:118.
- Ujszaszi A, Molnar MZ, Czira ME, et al. Renal function is independently associated with red cell distribution width in kidney transplant recipients: a potential new auxiliary parameter for the clinical evaluation of patients with chronic kidney disease. Br J Haematol 2013; 161:715.
- Afonso L, Zalawadiya SK, Veeranna V, et al. Relationship between red cell distribution width and microalbuminuria: a population-based study of multiethnic representative US adults. Nephron Clin Pract 2011; 119:c277.
- Kim HM, Kim BS, Cho YK, et al. Elevated red cell distribution width is associated with advanced fibrosis in NAFLD. Clin Mol Hepatol 2013; 19:258.
- DeLoughery TG. Microcytic anemia. N Engl J Med 2014; 371:1324.
- Thompson WG, Meola T, Lipkin M Jr, Freedman ML. Red cell distribution width, mean corpuscular volume, and transferrin saturation in the diagnosis of iron deficiency. Arch Intern Med 1988; 148:2128.
- Seward SJ, Safran C, Marton KI, Robinson SH. Does the mean corpuscular volume help physicians evaluate hospitalized patients with anemia? J Gen Intern Med 1990; 5:187.
- Bruno M, De Falco L, Iolascon A. How I Diagnose Non-thalassemic Microcytic Anemias. Semin Hematol 2015; 52:270.
- Marsh WL Jr, Bishop JW, Darcy TP. Evaluation of red cell volume distribution width (RDW). Hematol Pathol 1987; 1:117.
- Camaschella C. How I manage patients with atypical microcytic anaemia. Br J Haematol 2013; 160:12.
- Athiyarath R, Arora N, Fuster F, et al. Two novel missense mutations in iron transport protein transferrin causing hypochromic microcytic anaemia and haemosiderosis: molecular characterization and structural implications. Br J Haematol 2013; 163:404.
- ASSESSMENT OF RBC SIZE
- MCV (cell volume)
- RDW (size variability)
- Peripheral blood smear review
- CAUSES OF MICROCYTOSIS
- Iron deficiency anemia
- Anemia of chronic inflammation
- Rare causes
- APPROACH TO THE EVALUATION
- Confirm microcytosis/microcytic anemia
- Eliminate iron deficiency and thalassemia
- Assess the likelihood of anemia of chronic inflammation
- Additional evaluations
- SOCIETY GUIDELINE LINKS
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS