Lymphoid interstitial pneumonia in adults
- Karen A Fagan, MD
Karen A Fagan, MD
- Professor of Medicine and Pharmacology
- Chief, Division f Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
- University of South Alabama
- Talmadge E King, Jr, MD
Talmadge E King, Jr, MD
- Editor-in-Chief — Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
- Section Editor — Interstitial Lung Disease
- Dean, School of Medicine
- Vice Chancellor, Medical Affairs
- University of California San Francisco
Lymphoid interstitial pneumonia (LIP) is an uncommon form of interstitial lung disease in adults that is characterized histopathologically by infiltration of the interstitium and alveolar spaces of the lung by lymphocytes, plasma cells, and other lymphoreticular elements [1,2]. First described in 1966 by Carrington and Liebow , LIP is one entity within a spectrum of lymphoproliferative disorders that can involve the lung. Many of the cases previously diagnosed as LIP are now considered cellular nonspecific interstitial pneumonia (NSIP) .
An increased incidence of LIP has been seen in the pediatric population, especially in children with AIDS. (See "Approach to the HIV-infected patient with pulmonary symptoms" and "Lymphocytic interstitial pneumonia in children".)
The etiology, clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and treatment of LIP will be reviewed here. The pathologic classification of the idiopathic interstitial pneumonias and an approach to the evaluation and diagnosis of interstitial lung disease are discussed separately. (See "Idiopathic interstitial pneumonias: Clinical manifestations and pathology" and "Approach to the adult with interstitial lung disease: Clinical evaluation" and "Approach to the adult with interstitial lung disease: Diagnostic testing".)
The American Thoracic Society (ATS) and European Respiratory Society (ERS) statement on the classification of idiopathic interstitial pneumonias, as well as other ATS guidelines, can be accessed through the ATS web site at www.thoracic.org/statements.
The lung is occasionally the primary organ of involvement in a variety of lymphoproliferative disorders :To continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Koss MN, Hochholzer L, Langloss JM, et al. Lymphoid interstitial pneumonia: clinicopathological and immunopathological findings in 18 cases. Pathology 1987; 19:178.
- Swigris JJ, Berry GJ, Raffin TA, Kuschner WG. Lymphoid interstitial pneumonia: a narrative review. Chest 2002; 122:2150.
- Carrington, BC, Liebow, AA. Lymphocytic interstitial pneumonia (abstract). Am J Pathol 1966; 48:36.
- Travis WD, Costabel U, Hansell DM, et al. An official American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory Society statement: Update of the international multidisciplinary classification of the idiopathic interstitial pneumonias. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2013; 188:733.
- Bragg DG, Chor PJ, Murray KA, Kjeldsberg CR. Lymphoproliferative disorders of the lung: histopathology, clinical manifestations, and imaging features. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1994; 163:273.
- Cosgrove GP, Schwartz MI. Lymphocytoplasmic infiltrations of the lung. In: Interstitial Lung Disease, 5th ed, Schwarz MI, King TE Jr (Eds), People's Medical Publishing House, Shelton, CT, USA 2011. p.1045.
- Alkhayer M, McCann BG, Harrison BD. Lymphocytic interstitial pneumonitis in association with Sjogren's syndrome. Br J Dis Chest 1988; 82:305.
- Strimlan CV, Rosenow EC 3rd, Weiland LH, Brown LR. Lymphocytic interstitial pneumonitis. Review of 13 cases. Ann Intern Med 1978; 88:616.
- Cha SI, Fessler MB, Cool CD, et al. Lymphoid interstitial pneumonia: clinical features, associations and prognosis. Eur Respir J 2006; 28:364.
- Rajagopala S, Swamy S, Kumar A, Rout P. Ace in the hole! Respiration 2011; 82:212.
- Gupta N, Vassallo R, Wikenheiser-Brokamp KA, McCormack FX. Diffuse Cystic Lung Disease. Part II. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2015; 192:17.
- Rao N, Mackinnon AC, Routes JM. Granulomatous and lymphocytic interstitial lung disease: a spectrum of pulmonary histopathologic lesions in common variable immunodeficiency--histologic and immunohistochemical analyses of 16 cases. Hum Pathol 2015; 46:1306.
- Rubinstein A, Morecki R, Silverman B, et al. Pulmonary disease in children with acquired immune deficiency syndrome and AIDS-related complex. J Pediatr 1986; 108:498.
- Joshi VV, Oleske JM, Minnefor AB, et al. Pathologic pulmonary findings in children with the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome: a study of ten cases. Hum Pathol 1985; 16:241.
- Travis WD, Fox CH, Devaney KO, et al. Lymphoid pneumonitis in 50 adult patients infected with the human immunodeficiency virus: lymphocytic interstitial pneumonitis versus nonspecific interstitial pneumonitis. Hum Pathol 1992; 23:529.
- Ghrenassia E, Martis N, Boyer J, et al. The diffuse infiltrative lymphocytosis syndrome (DILS). A comprehensive review. J Autoimmun 2015; 59:19.
- Principi N, Marchisio P, Massironi E, et al. Effect of zidovudine in HIV-infected children with lymphocytic interstitial pneumonitis. AIDS 1991; 5:468.
- Dufour V, Wislez M, Bergot E, et al. Improvement of symptomatic human immunodeficiency virus-related lymphoid interstitial pneumonia in patients receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy. Clin Infect Dis 2003; 36:e127.
- Barberà JA, Hayashi S, Hegele RG, Hogg JC. Detection of Epstein-Barr virus in lymphocytic interstitial pneumonia by in situ hybridization. Am Rev Respir Dis 1992; 145:940.
- Katz BZ, Berkman AB, Shapiro ED. Serologic evidence of active Epstein-Barr virus infection in Epstein-Barr virus-associated lymphoproliferative disorders of children with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. J Pediatr 1992; 120:228.
- Kramer MR, Saldana MJ, Ramos M, Pitchenik AE. High titers of Epstein-Barr virus antibodies in adult patients with lymphocytic interstitial pneumonitis associated with AIDS. Respir Med 1992; 86:49.
- Setoguchi Y, Takahashi S, Nukiwa T, Kira S. Detection of human T-cell lymphotropic virus type I-related antibodies in patients with lymphocytic interstitial pneumonia. Am Rev Respir Dis 1991; 144:1361.
- American Thoracic Society, European Respiratory Society. American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory Society International Multidisciplinary Consensus Classification of the Idiopathic Interstitial Pneumonias. This joint statement of the American Thoracic Society (ATS), and the European Respiratory Society (ERS) was adopted by the ATS board of directors, June 2001 and by the ERS Executive Committee, June 2001. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2002; 165:277.
- Johkoh T, Fukuoka J, Tanaka T. Rare idiopathic intestinal pneumonias (IIPs) and histologic patterns in new ATS/ERS multidisciplinary classification of the IIPs. Eur J Radiol 2015; 84:542.
- Lin RY, Gruber PJ, Saunders R, Perla EN. Lymphocytic interstitial pneumonitis in adult HIV infection. N Y State J Med 1988; 88:273.
- Kurosu K, Weiden MD, Takiguchi Y, et al. BCL-6 mutations in pulmonary lymphoproliferative disorders: demonstration of an aberrant immunological reaction in HIV-related lymphoid interstitial pneumonia. J Immunol 2004; 172:7116.
- Turner RR, Colby TV, Doggett RS. Well-differentiated lymphocytic lymphoma. A study of 47 patients with primary manifestation in the lung. Cancer 1984; 54:2088.
- van Zyl-Smit RN, Naidoo J, Wainwright H, et al. HIV associated Lymphocytic Interstitial Pneumonia: a clinical, histological and radiographic study from an HIV endemic resource-poor setting. BMC Pulm Med 2015; 15:38.
- Morris JC, Rosen MJ, Marchevsky A, Teirstein AS. Lymphocytic interstitial pneumonia in patients at risk for the acquired immune deficiency syndrome. Chest 1987; 91:63.
- Ripamonti D, Rizzi M, Maggiolo F, et al. Resolution of lymphocytic interstitial pneumonia in a human immunodeficiency virus-infected adult following the start of highly active antiretroviral therapy. Scand J Infect Dis 2003; 35:348.
- Saito M, Hatakeyama S, Wakabayashi Y, et al. A pathologically proven case of adult-onset HIV-related lymphocytic interstitial pneumonia with acute exacerbation treated with steroid and antiretroviral therapy. J Infect Chemother 2015; 21:868.
- Popa V. Lymphocytic interstitial pneumonia of common variable immunodeficiency. Ann Allergy 1988; 60:203.
- Hare SS, Souza CA, Bain G, et al. The radiological spectrum of pulmonary lymphoproliferative disease. Br J Radiol 2012; 85:848.
- Johkoh T, Müller NL, Pickford HA, et al. Lymphocytic interstitial pneumonia: thin-section CT findings in 22 patients. Radiology 1999; 212:567.
- Ichikawa Y, Kinoshita M, Koga T, et al. Lung cyst formation in lymphocytic interstitial pneumonia: CT features. J Comput Assist Tomogr 1994; 18:745.
- Honda O, Johkoh T, Ichikado K, et al. Differential diagnosis of lymphocytic interstitial pneumonia and malignant lymphoma on high-resolution CT. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1999; 173:71.
- Sverzellati N, Lynch DA, Hansell DM, et al. American Thoracic Society-European Respiratory Society Classification of the Idiopathic Interstitial Pneumonias: Advances in Knowledge since 2002. Radiographics 2015; 35:1849.
- Teirstein AS, Rosen MJ. Lymphocytic interstitial pneumonia. Clin Chest Med 1988; 9:467.
- Ishizaki T, Miyabo S, Koshino T, et al. Lymphoid interstitial pneumonia: findings at bronchoalveolar lavage. Eur J Respir Dis 1985; 67:128.
- Baqir M, Kluka EM, Aubry MC, et al. Amyloid-associated cystic lung disease in primary Sjögren's syndrome. Respir Med 2013; 107:616.
- Silva CI, Churg A, Müller NL. Hypersensitivity pneumonitis: spectrum of high-resolution CT and pathologic findings. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2007; 188:334.
- Bois MC, Sekiguchi H, Ryu JH, Yi ES. No definite clinical features of immunoglobulin G4-related disease in patients with pulmonary nodular lymphoid hyperplasia. Hum Pathol 2017; 59:80.
- Isaksen K, Jonsson R, Omdal R. Anti-CD20 treatment in primary Sjögren's syndrome. Scand J Immunol 2008; 68:554.
- Ramos-Casals M, Tzioufas AG, Stone JH, et al. Treatment of primary Sjögren syndrome: a systematic review. JAMA 2010; 304:452.
- Chen B, Li HP, Zhang RX, et al. [Idiopathic lymphoid interstitial pneumonia: a report of 3 cases and literature review]. Zhonghua Nei Ke Za Zhi 2008; 47:486.
- Das S, Miller RF. Lymphocytic interstitial pneumonitis in HIV infected adults. Sex Transm Infect 2003; 79:88.
- Innes AL, Huang L, Nishimura SL. Resolution of lymphocytic interstitial pneumonitis in an HIV infected adult after treatment with HAART. Sex Transm Infect 2004; 80:417.
- Scarborough M, Lishman S, Shaw P, et al. Lymphocytic interstitial pneumonitis in an HIV-infected adult: response to antiretroviral therapy. Int J STD AIDS 2000; 11:119.
- Kourtis AP, Bansil P, Posner SF, et al. Trends in hospitalizations of HIV-infected children and adolescents in the United States: analysis of data from the 1994-2003 Nationwide Inpatient Sample. Pediatrics 2007; 120:e236.
- Griffiths MH, Miller RF, Semple SJ. Interstitial pneumonitis in patients infected with the human immunodeficiency virus. Thorax 1995; 50:1141.
- Banerjee D, Ahmad D. Malignant lymphoma complicating lymphocytic interstitial pneumonia: a monoclonal B-cell neoplasm arising in a polyclonal lymphoproliferative disorder. Hum Pathol 1982; 13:780.
- Schuurman HJ, Gooszen HC, Tan IW, et al. Low-grade lymphoma of immature T-cell phenotype in a case of lymphocytic interstitial pneumonia and Sjögren's syndrome. Histopathology 1987; 11:1193.
- Hatron PY, Tillie-Leblond I, Launay D, et al. Pulmonary manifestations of Sjögren's syndrome. Presse Med 2011; 40:e49.
- Fishback N, Koss M. Update on lymphoid interstitial pneumonitis. Curr Opin Pulm Med 1996; 2:429.
- Rheumatic disease
- PATHOLOGIC FINDINGS
- CLINICAL MANIFESTATIONS
- Physical examination
- Chest imaging
- Pulmonary function tests
- Bronchoalveolar lavage
- Lung biopsy
- DIFFERENTIAL DIAGNOSIS
- LIP in rheumatic disease
- Idiopathic LIP
- GLILD in common variable immunodeficiency
- LIP in HIV infection
- LONG-TERM COMPLICATIONS
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS
- Clinical features and diagnosis
- Approach to treatment