Low-renin primary (essential) hypertension
- Norman M Kaplan, MD
Norman M Kaplan, MD
- Editor-in-Chief — Nephrology
- Section Editor — Hypertension
- Clinical Professor of Internal Medicine
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Renin-sodium profiling in patients with primary hypertension (formerly called "essential" hypertension) reveals that the plasma renin activity (PRA) is increased in 15 percent, normal in 60 percent, and reduced in approximately 25 percent . Low renin levels are found more frequently in blacks and in the elderly .
Although it is likely that patients with low-renin primary hypertension (LRPH) represent part of a continuum of hypertensives, this subgroup may have some relatively unique characteristics:
●The elevation in blood pressure is more likely to be salt sensitive 
●The response to nonpharmacologic therapy, particularly weight reduction, may be less pronounced 
●The antihypertensive response may be greatest with a diuretic or calcium channel blocker [1,3,5]
- Bühler FR, Bolli P, Kiowski W, et al. Renin profiling to select antihypertensive baseline drugs. Renin inhibitors for high-renin and calcium entry blockers for low-renin patients. Am J Med 1984; 77:36.
- Sagnella GA. Why is plasma renin activity lower in populations of African origin? J Hum Hypertens 2001; 15:17.
- Laragh JH, Resnick LM. Recognizing and treating two types of long-term vasoconstriction in hypertension. Kidney Int Suppl 1988; 25:S162.
- Blaufox MD, Lee HB, Davis B, et al. Renin predicts diastolic blood pressure response to nonpharmacologic and pharmacologic therapy. JAMA 1992; 267:1221.
- Bühler FR. Calcium antagonists as first-choice therapy for low-renin essential hypertension. Kidney Int 1989; 36:295.
- Mackenzie IS, Brown MJ. Molecular and clinical investigations in patients with low-renin hypertension. Clin Exp Nephrol 2009; 13:1.
- Hood SJ, Taylor KP, Ashby MJ, Brown MJ. The spironolactone, amiloride, losartan, and thiazide (SALT) double-blind crossover trial in patients with low-renin hypertension and elevated aldosterone-renin ratio. Circulation 2007; 116:268.
- Funder JW, Carey RM, Fardella C, et al. Case detection, diagnosis, and treatment of patients with primary aldosteronism: an endocrine society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2008; 93:3266.
- Rossi E, Regolisti G, Perazzoli F, et al. -344C/T polymorphism of CYP11B2 gene in Italian patients with idiopathic low renin hypertension. Am J Hypertens 2001; 14:934.
- Johnston CI. Franz Volhard Lecture. Renin-angiotensin system: a dual tissue and hormonal system for cardiovascular control. J Hypertens Suppl 1992; 10:S13.
- Seikaly MG, Arant BS Jr, Seney FD Jr. Endogenous angiotensin concentrations in specific intrarenal fluid compartments of the rat. J Clin Invest 1990; 86:1352.
- Redgrave J, Rabinowe S, Hollenberg NK, Williams GH. Correction of abnormal renal blood flow response to angiotensin II by converting enzyme inhibition in essential hypertensives. J Clin Invest 1985; 75:1285.
- Bachmann S, Peters J, Engler E, et al. Transgenic rats carrying the mouse renin gene--morphological characterization of a low-renin hypertension model. Kidney Int 1992; 41:24.
- Bühler FR, Laragh JH, Baer L, et al. Propranolol inhibition of renin secretion. A specific approach to diagnosis and treatment of renin-dependent hypertensive diseases. N Engl J Med 1972; 287:1209.
- Alderman MH, Madhavan S, Ooi WL, et al. Association of the renin-sodium profile with the risk of myocardial infarction in patients with hypertension. N Engl J Med 1991; 324:1098.
- Meade TW, Cooper JA, Peart WS. Plasma renin activity and ischemic heart disease. N Engl J Med 1993; 329:616.
- Wyndham RN, Gimenez L, Walker WG, et al. Influence of renin levels on the treatment of essential hypertension with thiazide diuretics. Arch Intern Med 1987; 147:1021.
- Weinberger MH, White WB, Ruilope LM, et al. Effects of eplerenone versus losartan in patients with low-renin hypertension. Am Heart J 2005; 150:426.
- Sassano P, Chatellier G, Billaud E, et al. Treatment of mild to moderate hypertension with or without the converting enzyme inhibitor enalapril. Results of a six-month double-blind trial. Am J Med 1987; 83:227.
- Azizi M, Bissery A, Bura-Rivière A, Ménard J. Dual renin-angiotensin system blockade restores blood pressure-renin dependency in individuals with low renin concentrations. J Hypertens 2003; 21:1887.
- Weir MR, Saunders E. Renin status does not predict the anti-hypertensive response to angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibition in African-Americans. Trandolapril Multicenter Study Group. J Hum Hypertens 1998; 12:189.
- Laragh JH, Sealey JE. Relevance of the plasma renin hormonal control system that regulates blood pressure and sodium balance for correctly treating hypertension and for evaluating ALLHAT. Am J Hypertens 2003; 16:407.
- Schwartz GL, Bailey K, Chapman AB, et al. The role of plasma renin activity, age, and race in selecting effective initial drug therapy for hypertension. Am J Hypertens 2013; 26:957.