Long-term management of patients with anaphylaxis
- John M Kelso, MD
John M Kelso, MD
- Section Editor – Anaphylaxis
- Division of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology
- Scripps Clinic, San Diego, CA
The medical management of anaphylaxis has traditionally focused on recognition and treatment of the acute event. Equally important, however, is the long-term care of a patient who has experienced anaphylaxis and the implementation of measures to prevent and treat recurrences in community settings [1,2].
Long-term risk reduction includes the following elements :
●Ongoing education about recognition and prompt treatment of future anaphylactic episodes.
●Optimal management of relevant comorbidities (eg, asthma or cardiovascular disease) and assessment or reassessment of the benefits and risks of concurrent medications, eg, beta-blockers or angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors.
●Strict avoidance of specific relevant allergens.
- Simons FE. Anaphylaxis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010; 125:S161.
- Simons FE. Anaphylaxis, killer allergy: long-term management in the community. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2006; 117:367.
- Lieberman P, Nicklas RA, Oppenheimer J, et al. The diagnosis and management of anaphylaxis practice parameter: 2010 update. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010; 126:477.
- Soar J, Pumphrey R, Cant A, et al. Emergency treatment of anaphylactic reactions--guidelines for healthcare providers. Resuscitation 2008; 77:157.
- Brown SG, Mullins RJ, Gold MS. Anaphylaxis: diagnosis and management. Med J Aust 2006; 185:283.
- Simons FE, Ardusso LR, Bilò MB, et al. World Allergy Organization anaphylaxis guidelines: summary. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2011; 127:587.
- Simons KJ, Simons FE. Epinephrine and its use in anaphylaxis: current issues. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 2010; 10:354.
- Sheikh A, Ten Broek V, Brown SG, Simons FE. H1-antihistamines for the treatment of anaphylaxis: Cochrane systematic review. Allergy 2007; 62:830.
- Simons FE, Sampson HA. Anaphylaxis epidemic: fact or fiction? J Allergy Clin Immunol 2008; 122:1166.
- Gaeta TJ, Clark S, Pelletier AJ, Camargo CA. National study of US emergency department visits for acute allergic reactions, 1993 to 2004. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2007; 98:360.
- Jacobsen RC, Toy S, Bonham AJ, et al. Anaphylaxis knowledge among paramedics: results of a national survey. Prehosp Emerg Care 2012; 16:527.
- Sampson HA, Muñoz-Furlong A, Campbell RL, et al. Second symposium on the definition and management of anaphylaxis: summary report--Second National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease/Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network symposium. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2006; 117:391.
- Pumphrey RS. Lessons for management of anaphylaxis from a study of fatal reactions. Clin Exp Allergy 2000; 30:1144.
- Manivannan V, Campbell RL, Bellolio MF, et al. Factors associated with repeated use of epinephrine for the treatment of anaphylaxis. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2009; 103:395.
- Ben-Shoshan M, Kagan R, Primeau MN, et al. Availability of the epinephrine autoinjector at school in children with peanut allergy. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2008; 100:570.
- Simons FE, World Allergy Organization. Epinephrine auto-injectors: first-aid treatment still out of reach for many at risk of anaphylaxis in the community. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2009; 102:403.
- Simons FE, Edwards ES, Read EJ Jr, et al. Voluntarily reported unintentional injections from epinephrine auto-injectors. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010; 125:419.
- Simons FE, Clark S, Camargo CA Jr. Anaphylaxis in the community: learning from the survivors. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009; 124:301.
- Hernandez-Trujillo V, Simons FER. Prospective evaluation of an anaphylaxis education mini-handout: the AAAAI anaphylaxis wallet card. J Allergy Clin Immunol: In Practice 2013; 1:181.
- González-Pérez A, Aponte Z, Vidaurre CF, Rodríguez LA. Anaphylaxis epidemiology in patients with and patients without asthma: a United Kingdom database review. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010; 125:1098.
- Greenberger PA, Rotskoff BD, Lifschultz B. Fatal anaphylaxis: postmortem findings and associated comorbid diseases. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2007; 98:252.
- Triggiani M, Patella V, Staiano RI, et al. Allergy and the cardiovascular system. Clin Exp Immunol 2008; 153 Suppl 1:7.
- Lee S, Hess EP, Nestler DM, et al. Antihypertensive medication use is associated with increased organ system involvement and hospitalization in emergency department patients with anaphylaxis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2013; 131:1103.
- Ruëff F, Przybilla B, Biló MB, et al. Predictors of severe systemic anaphylactic reactions in patients with Hymenoptera venom allergy: importance of baseline serum tryptase-a study of the European Academy of Allergology and Clinical Immunology Interest Group on Insect Venom Hypersensitivity. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009; 124:1047.
- Caviglia AG, Passalacqua G, Senna G. Risk of severe anaphylaxis for patients with Hymenoptera venom allergy: Are angiotensin-receptor blockers comparable to angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors? J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010; 125:1171; author reply 1171.
- Sicherer SH, Sampson HA. Food allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010; 125:S116.
- NIAID-Sponsored Expert Panel, Boyce JA, Assa'ad A, et al. Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of food allergy in the United States: report of the NIAID-sponsored expert panel. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010; 126:S1.
- Boyano-Martínez T, García-Ara C, Pedrosa M, et al. Accidental allergic reactions in children allergic to cow's milk proteins. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009; 123:883.
- Pieretti MM, Chung D, Pacenza R, et al. Audit of manufactured products: use of allergen advisory labels and identification of labeling ambiguities. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009; 124:337.
- Crotty MP, Taylor SL. Risks associated with foods having advisory milk labeling. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010; 125:935.
- Lebovidge JS, Strauch H, Kalish LA, Schneider LC. Assessment of psychological distress among children and adolescents with food allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009; 124:1282.
- King RM, Knibb RC, Hourihane JO. Impact of peanut allergy on quality of life, stress and anxiety in the family. Allergy 2009; 64:461.
- Greenhawt MJ, Singer AM, Baptist AP. Food allergy and food allergy attitudes among college students. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009; 124:323.
- Golden DB, Moffitt J, Nicklas RA, et al. Stinging insect hypersensitivity: a practice parameter update 2011. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2011; 127:852.
- Bilò MB, Bonifazi F. The natural history and epidemiology of insect venom allergy: clinical implications. Clin Exp Allergy 2009; 39:1467.
- Bilò BM, Bonifazi F. Epidemiology of insect-venom anaphylaxis. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 2008; 8:330.
- Tankersley MS. The stinging impact of the imported fire ant. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 2008; 8:354.
- Khan DA, Solensky R. Drug allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010; 125:S126.
- Liu A, Fanning L, Chong H, et al. Desensitization regimens for drug allergy: state of the art in the 21st century. Clin Exp Allergy 2011; 41:1679.
- Castells MC, Tennant NM, Sloane DE, et al. Hypersensitivity reactions to chemotherapy: outcomes and safety of rapid desensitization in 413 cases. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2008; 122:574.
- Kelso JM, Greenhawt MJ, Li JT, et al. Adverse reactions to vaccines practice parameter 2012 update. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2012; 130:25.
- Du Toit G. Food-dependent exercise-induced anaphylaxis in childhood. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2007; 18:455.
- Nowak-Węgrzyn A, Sampson HA. Future therapies for food allergies. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2011; 127:558.
- Basagaña M, Bartolome B, Pastor-Vargas C, et al. Involvement of Can f 5 in a case of human seminal plasma allergy. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2012; 159:143.
- Commins SP, Satinover SM, Hosen J, et al. Delayed anaphylaxis, angioedema, or urticaria after consumption of red meat in patients with IgE antibodies specific for galactose-alpha-1,3-galactose. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009; 123:426.
- Brockow K, Jofer C, Behrendt H, Ring J. Anaphylaxis in patients with mastocytosis: a study on history, clinical features and risk factors in 120 patients. Allergy 2008; 63:226.
- Bonadonna P, Perbellini O, Passalacqua G, et al. Clonal mast cell disorders in patients with systemic reactions to Hymenoptera stings and increased serum tryptase levels. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009; 123:680.
- Müller UR. Elevated baseline serum tryptase, mastocytosis and anaphylaxis. Clin Exp Allergy 2009; 39:620.
- Metcalfe DD, Schwartz LB. Assessing anaphylactic risk? Consider mast cell clonality. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009; 123:687.
- Wood RA, Sicherer SH, Vickery BP, et al. The natural history of milk allergy in an observational cohort. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2013; 131:805.
- Savage JH, Matsui EC, Skripak JM, Wood RA. The natural history of egg allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2007; 120:1413.
- ONGOING EDUCATION OF PATIENTS
- Important teaching points
- PREPARING THE PATIENT TO TREAT POSSIBLE RECURRENCES
- Self-injectable epinephrine
- Anaphylaxis emergency action plan
- Medical identification
- MANAGEMENT OF COMORBIDITIES
- Medications for other disorders
- EFFECTIVE AVOIDANCE OF SPECIFIC RELEVANT ALLERGENS AND COFACTORS
- INTERVENTIONS TO REDUCE SENSITIVITY TO SPECIFIC ALLERGENS
- FUTURE LABORATORY TESTS TO PREDICT RISK OF ANAPHYLAXIS
- Internet resources
- INFORMATION FOR PATIENTS
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS