Interstitial lung disease in dermatomyositis and polymyositis: Clinical manifestations and diagnosis
- Paul F Dellaripa, MD
Paul F Dellaripa, MD
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- Harvard Medical School
- Marc L Miller, MD
Marc L Miller, MD
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Tufts University School of Medicine
- Section Editors
- Ira N Targoff, MD
Ira N Targoff, MD
- Section Editor — Muscle Disease
- Professor of Medicine, Section of Rheumatology
- University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
- Kevin R Flaherty, MD, MS
Kevin R Flaherty, MD, MS
- Section Editor — Interstitial Lung Disease
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- University of Michigan Health System
- Deputy Editors
- Helen Hollingsworth, MD
Helen Hollingsworth, MD
- Deputy Editor — Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- Boston University School of Medicine
- Monica Ramirez Curtis, MD, MPH
Monica Ramirez Curtis, MD, MPH
- Deputy Editor — Rheumatology
- Instructor of Medicine
- Harvard Medical School
Dermatomyositis (DM) and polymyositis (PM) are classified as idiopathic inflammatory myopathies. Among patients with DM or PM, interstitial lung disease (ILD) is a major cause of morbidity and mortality. A general approach to the evaluation of ILD is provided separately. (See "Approach to the adult with interstitial lung disease: Clinical evaluation" and "Approach to the adult with interstitial lung disease: Diagnostic testing".)
In patients with DM or PM, ILD must be distinguished from other causes of pulmonary disease:
- Marie I, Hachulla E, Chérin P, et al. Interstitial lung disease in polymyositis and dermatomyositis. Arthritis Rheum 2002; 47:614.
- Love LA, Leff RL, Fraser DD, et al. A new approach to the classification of idiopathic inflammatory myopathy: myositis-specific autoantibodies define useful homogeneous patient groups. Medicine (Baltimore) 1991; 70:360.
- Fathi M, Vikgren J, Boijsen M, et al. Interstitial lung disease in polymyositis and dermatomyositis: longitudinal evaluation by pulmonary function and radiology. Arthritis Rheum 2008; 59:677.
- Connors GR, Christopher-Stine L, Oddis CV, Danoff SK. Interstitial lung disease associated with the idiopathic inflammatory myopathies: what progress has been made in the past 35 years? Chest 2010; 138:1464.
- Dickey BF, Myers AR. Pulmonary disease in polymyositis/dermatomyositis. Semin Arthritis Rheum 1984; 14:60.
- Bohan A, Peter JB, Bowman RL, Pearson CM. Computer-assisted analysis of 153 patients with polymyositis and dermatomyositis. Medicine (Baltimore) 1977; 56:255.
- Frazier AR, Miller RD. Interstitial pneumonitis in association with polymyositis and dermatomyositis. Chest 1974; 65:403.
- Salmeron G, Greenberg SD, Lidsky MD. Polymyositis and diffuse interstitial lung disease. A review of the pulmonary histopathologic findings. Arch Intern Med 1981; 141:1005.
- Hochberg MC, Feldman D, Stevens MB. Adult onset polymyositis/dermatomyositis: an analysis of clinical and laboratory features and survival in 76 patients with a review of the literature. Semin Arthritis Rheum 1986; 15:168.
- Tymms KE, Webb J. Dermatopolymyositis and other connective tissue diseases: a review of 105 cases. J Rheumatol 1985; 12:1140.
- Nambu Y, Mouri M, Toga H, et al. Gender and underlying diseases affect the frequency of the concurrence of adult polymyositis/dermatomyositis and interstitial pneumonia. Chest 1994; 106:1931.
- Ikeda S, Arita M, Misaki K, et al. Incidence and impact of interstitial lung disease and malignancy in patients with polymyositis, dermatomyositis, and clinically amyopathic dermatomyositis: a retrospective cohort study. Springerplus 2015; 4:240.
- Richards TJ, Eggebeen A, Gibson K, et al. Characterization and peripheral blood biomarker assessment of anti-Jo-1 antibody-positive interstitial lung disease. Arthritis Rheum 2009; 60:2183.
- Chen YJ, Wu CY, Shen JL. Predicting factors of malignancy in dermatomyositis and polymyositis: a case-control study. Br J Dermatol 2001; 144:825.
- Douglas WW, Tazelaar HD, Hartman TE, et al. Polymyositis-dermatomyositis-associated interstitial lung disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2001; 164:1182.
- Tazelaar HD, Viggiano RW, Pickersgill J, Colby TV. Interstitial lung disease in polymyositis and dermatomyositis. Clinical features and prognosis as correlated with histologic findings. Am Rev Respir Dis 1990; 141:727.
- Bradley B, Branley HM, Egan JJ, et al. Interstitial lung disease guideline: the British Thoracic Society in collaboration with the Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand and the Irish Thoracic Society. Thorax 2008; 63 Suppl 5:v1.
- Cottin V, Thivolet-Béjui F, Reynaud-Gaubert M, et al. Interstitial lung disease in amyopathic dermatomyositis, dermatomyositis and polymyositis. Eur Respir J 2003; 22:245.
- Koreeda Y, Higashimoto I, Yamamoto M, et al. Clinical and pathological findings of interstitial lung disease patients with anti-aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase autoantibodies. Intern Med 2010; 49:361.
- Tillie-Leblond I, Wislez M, Valeyre D, et al. Interstitial lung disease and anti-Jo-1 antibodies: difference between acute and gradual onset. Thorax 2008; 63:53.
- Fathi M, Dastmalchi M, Rasmussen E, et al. Interstitial lung disease, a common manifestation of newly diagnosed polymyositis and dermatomyositis. Ann Rheum Dis 2004; 63:297.
- Sato S, Hoshino K, Satoh T, et al. RNA helicase encoded by melanoma differentiation-associated gene 5 is a major autoantigen in patients with clinically amyopathic dermatomyositis: Association with rapidly progressive interstitial lung disease. Arthritis Rheum 2009; 60:2193.
- Schwarz MI, Matthay RA, Sahn SA, et al. Interstitial lung disease in polymyositis and dermatomyositis: analysis of six cases and review of the literature. Medicine (Baltimore) 1976; 55:89.
- Arsura EL, Greenberg AS. Adverse impact of interstitial pulmonary fibrosis on prognosis in polymyositis and dermatomyositis. Semin Arthritis Rheum 1988; 18:29.
- Mukae H, Ishimoto H, Sakamoto N, et al. Clinical differences between interstitial lung disease associated with clinically amyopathic dermatomyositis and classic dermatomyositis. Chest 2009; 136:1341.
- Lakhanpal S, Lie JT, Conn DL, Martin WJ 2nd. Pulmonary disease in polymyositis/dermatomyositis: a clinicopathological analysis of 65 autopsy cases. Ann Rheum Dis 1987; 46:23.
- Padley SP, Hansell DM, Flower CD, Jennings P. Comparative accuracy of high resolution computed tomography and chest radiography in the diagnosis of chronic diffuse infiltrative lung disease. Clin Radiol 1991; 44:222.
- Kalluri M, Sahn SA, Oddis CV, et al. Clinical profile of anti-PL-12 autoantibody. Cohort study and review of the literature. Chest 2009; 135:1550.
- Gil B, Merav L, Pnina L, Chagai G. Diagnosis and treatment of clinically amyopathic dermatomyositis (CADM): a case series and literature review. Clin Rheumatol 2016; 35:2125.
- Chen Z, Cao M, Plana MN, et al. Utility of anti-melanoma differentiation-associated gene 5 antibody measurement in identifying patients with dermatomyositis and a high risk for developing rapidly progressive interstitial lung disease: a review of the literature and a meta-analysis. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2013; 65:1316.
- Ceribelli A, Fredi M, Taraborelli M, et al. Prevalence and clinical significance of anti-MDA5 antibodies in European patients with polymyositis/dermatomyositis. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2014; 32:891.
- Moghadam-Kia S, Oddis CV, Sato S, et al. Anti-Melanoma Differentiation-Associated Gene 5 Is Associated With Rapidly Progressive Lung Disease and Poor Survival in US Patients With Amyopathic and Myopathic Dermatomyositis. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2016; 68:689.
- Dalakas MC. Inflammatory muscle diseases. N Engl J Med 2015; 372:1734.
- Ghirardello A, Borella E, Beggio M, et al. Myositis autoantibodies and clinical phenotypes. Auto Immun Highlights 2014; 5:69.
- Tomonaga M, Sakamoto N, Ishimatsu Y, et al. Comparison of pulmonary involvement between patients expressing anti-PL-7 and anti-Jo-1 antibodies. Lung 2015; 193:79.
- Marie I, Josse S, Decaux O, et al. Comparison of long-term outcome between anti-Jo1- and anti-PL7/PL12 positive patients with antisynthetase syndrome. Autoimmun Rev 2012; 11:739.
- Labirua-Iturburu A, Selva-O'Callaghan A, Vincze M, et al. Anti-PL-7 (anti-threonyl-tRNA synthetase) antisynthetase syndrome: clinical manifestations in a series of patients from a European multicenter study (EUMYONET) and review of the literature. Medicine (Baltimore) 2012; 91:206.
- Marie I, Josse S, Hatron PY, et al. Interstitial lung disease in anti-Jo-1 patients with antisynthetase syndrome. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2013; 65:800.
- Hall JC, Casciola-Rosen L, Samedy LA, et al. Anti-melanoma differentiation-associated protein 5-associated dermatomyositis: expanding the clinical spectrum. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2013; 65:1307.
- Nakajima H, Harigai M, Hara M, et al. KL-6 as a novel serum marker for interstitial pneumonia associated with collagen diseases. J Rheumatol 2000; 27:1164.
- Chinoy H, Salway F, Fertig N, et al. In adult onset myositis, the presence of interstitial lung disease and myositis specific/associated antibodies are governed by HLA class II haplotype, rather than by myositis subtype. Arthritis Res Ther 2006; 8:R13.
- Kumánovics G, Minier T, Radics J, et al. Comprehensive investigation of novel serum markers of pulmonary fibrosis associated with systemic sclerosis and dermato/polymyositis. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2008; 26:414.
- Gono T, Kawaguchi Y, Hara M, et al. Increased ferritin predicts development and severity of acute interstitial lung disease as a complication of dermatomyositis. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2010; 49:1354.
- Wells AU, du Bois RM. Bronchiolitis in association with connective tissue disorders. Clin Chest Med 1993; 14:655.
- Mino M, Noma S, Taguchi Y, et al. Pulmonary involvement in polymyositis and dermatomyositis: sequential evaluation with CT. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1997; 169:83.
- Akira M, Hara H, Sakatani M. Interstitial lung disease in association with polymyositis-dermatomyositis: long-term follow-up CT evaluation in seven patients. Radiology 1999; 210:333.
- Arakawa H, Yamada H, Kurihara Y, et al. Nonspecific interstitial pneumonia associated with polymyositis and dermatomyositis: serial high-resolution CT findings and functional correlation. Chest 2003; 123:1096.
- Morganroth PA, Kreider ME, Okawa J, et al. Interstitial lung disease in classic and skin-predominant dermatomyositis: a retrospective study with screening recommendations. Arch Dermatol 2010; 146:729.
- Braun NM, Arora NS, Rochester DF. Respiratory muscle and pulmonary function in polymyositis and other proximal myopathies. Thorax 1983; 38:616.
- Astudillo LM, Carreiro M, Sailler L, et al. Hypercapnic coma due to diaphragmatic involvement in a patient with dermatomyositis. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2001; 19:456.
- Oh TH, Brumfield KA, Hoskin TL, et al. Dysphagia in inflammatory myopathy: clinical characteristics, treatment strategies, and outcome in 62 patients. Mayo Clin Proc 2007; 82:441.
- Viguier M, Fouéré S, de la Salmonière P, et al. Peripheral blood lymphocyte subset counts in patients with dermatomyositis: clinical correlations and changes following therapy. Medicine (Baltimore) 2003; 82:82.
- Sostman HD, Matthay RA, Putman CE, Smith GJ. Methotrexate-induced pneumonitis. Medicine (Baltimore) 1976; 55:371.
- Marie I, Hachulla E, Chérin P, et al. Opportunistic infections in polymyositis and dermatomyositis. Arthritis Rheum 2005; 53:155.
- Kadoya A, Okada J, Iikuni Y, Kondo H. Risk factors for Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in patients with polymyositis/dermatomyositis or systemic lupus erythematosus. J Rheumatol 1996; 23:1186.
- Do-Pham G, Pagès C, Picard C, et al. A first case report of a patient with paraneoplastic dermatomyositis developing diffuse alveolar haemorrhage. Br J Dermatol 2010; 163:227.
- Schwarz MI, Sutarik JM, Nick JA, et al. Pulmonary capillaritis and diffuse alveolar hemorrhage. A primary manifestation of polymyositis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1995; 151:2037.
- Sato K, Morozumi S, Takeuchi Y, et al. [Case of dermatomyositis with anti-CADM-140 antibody and alveolar hemorrhage]. Rinsho Shinkeigaku 2014; 54:408.
- Le Goff B, Chérin P, Cantagrel A, et al. Pneumomediastinum in interstitial lung disease associated with dermatomyositis and polymyositis. Arthritis Rheum 2009; 61:108.
- Kono H, Inokuma S, Nakayama H, Suzuki M. Pneumomediastinum in dermatomyositis: association with cutaneous vasculopathy. Ann Rheum Dis 2000; 59:372.
- Caceres M, Ali SZ, Braud R, et al. Spontaneous pneumomediastinum: a comparative study and review of the literature. Ann Thorac Surg 2008; 86:962.
- Teixeira A, Cherin P, Demoule A, et al. Diaphragmatic dysfunction in patients with idiopathic inflammatory myopathies. Neuromuscul Disord 2005; 15:32.
- Selva-O'Callaghan A, Labrador-Horrillo M, Muñoz-Gall X, et al. Polymyositis/dermatomyositis-associated lung disease: analysis of a series of 81 patients. Lupus 2005; 14:534.
- Carruthers EC, Choi HK, Sayre EC, Aviña-Zubieta JA. Risk of deep venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism in individuals with polymyositis and dermatomyositis: a general population-based study. Ann Rheum Dis 2016; 75:110.
- Chung WS, Lin CL, Sung FC, et al. Increased risk of venous thromboembolism in patients with dermatomyositis/polymyositis: a nationwide cohort study. Thromb Res 2014; 134:622.
- CLINICAL FEATURES
- Laboratory testing
- Pulmonary function tests
- Diagnosis of ILD in patients with DM or PM
- - Determining the type of ILD
- - Atypical or rapidly progressive ILD
- Diagnosis of DM or PM in patients with ILD
- DIFFERENTIAL DIAGNOSIS
- Heart failure
- Drug-induced pneumonitis
- Alveolar hemorrhage
- OTHER CAUSES OF DYSPNEA IN DM AND PM
- Spontaneous pneumomediastinum
- Respiratory muscle weakness
- Thromboembolic disease
- INFORMATION FOR PATIENTS
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS