Imaging of non-small cell lung cancer
- Paul Stark, MD
Paul Stark, MD
- Professor of Radiology
- University of California San Diego
- Section Editors
- James R Jett, MD
James R Jett, MD
- Section Editor — Lung Cancer
- Professor of Medicine Emeritus
- National Jewish Health
- Nestor L Muller, MD, PhD
Nestor L Muller, MD, PhD
- Section Editor — Pulmonary Imaging
- Professor of Radiology
- University of British Columbia
When a patient presents with suspected non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC), multiple imaging tests are required . Imaging aims to accomplish three goals:
●One goal is to help determine the disease stage. This includes characterizing the primary tumor and identifying lymph nodes and other abnormalities that are suspicious for metastatic disease.
●Another goal is to identify lesions that warrant tissue sampling. Sampling is necessary to confirm both the diagnosis and disease stage.
●The third goal is to assist in planning surgical or radiation therapy.
The role of imaging in the staging of NSCLC is reviewed here. Choosing lesions for tissue sampling and other aspects of diagnosis and staging are discussed separately. (See "Overview of the initial evaluation, diagnosis, and staging of patients with suspected lung cancer".)
- Munden RF, Swisher SS, Stevens CW, Stewart DJ. Imaging of the patient with non-small cell lung cancer. Radiology 2005; 237:803.
- Carter BW, Glisson BS, Truong MT, Erasmus JJ. Small cell lung carcinoma: staging, imaging, and treatment considerations. Radiographics 2014; 34:1707.
- Goldstraw P, Crowley J, Chansky K, et al. The IASLC Lung Cancer Staging Project: proposals for the revision of the TNM stage groupings in the forthcoming (seventh) edition of the TNM Classification of malignant tumours. J Thorac Oncol 2007; 2:706.
- AJCC Cancer Staging Manual, 6th ed, Greene FL, Page DL, Fleming ID, et al (Eds), Springer-Verlag, New York 2002. p.435.
- UICC TNM Classification of Malignant Tumors, 6th Ed, Sobin L, Wittekind C (Eds), Wiley-Liss, New York 2002. p.272.
- Goldstraw P. Edition of TNM for Lung and Pleural Tumours. In: IASLC Staging Manual in Thoracic Oncology, Editorial Rx Press, Orange Park, FL 2009. p.56.
- Yi CA, Lee KS, Lee HY, et al. Coregistered whole body magnetic resonance imaging-positron emission tomography (MRI-PET) versus PET-computed tomography plus brain MRI in staging resectable lung cancer: comparisons of clinical effectiveness in a randomized trial. Cancer 2013; 119:1784.
- Verschakelen JA, De Wever W, Bogaert J. Role of computed tomography in lung cancer staging. Curr Opin Pulm Med 2004; 10:248.
- Primack SL, Lee KS, Logan PM, et al. Bronchogenic carcinoma: utility of CT in the evaluation of patients with suspected lesions. Radiology 1994; 193:795.
- Quint LE, Francis IR, Wahl RL, et al. Preoperative staging of non-small-cell carcinoma of the lung: imaging methods. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1995; 164:1349.
- Webb WR. Lung cancer staging: The role of imaging. In: Lung Cancer, Johnson BE, Johnson DH (Eds), Wiley-Liss, New York 1995. p.97.
- McLoud TC, Bourgouin PM, Greenberg RW, et al. Bronchogenic carcinoma: analysis of staging in the mediastinum with CT by correlative lymph node mapping and sampling. Radiology 1992; 182:319.
- Webb WR, Gatsonis C, Zerhouni EA, et al. CT and MR imaging in staging non-small cell bronchogenic carcinoma: report of the Radiologic Diagnostic Oncology Group. Radiology 1991; 178:705.
- Nickoloff EL, Lu ZF, Dutta AK, So JC. Radiation dose descriptors: BERT, COD, DAP, and other strange creatures. Radiographics 2008; 28:1439.
- Wall BF, Hart D. Revised radiation doses for typical X-ray examinations. Report on a recent review of doses to patients from medical X-ray examinations in the UK by NRPB. National Radiological Protection Board. Br J Radiol 1997; 70:437.
- Chou SH, Kicska GA, Pipavath SN, Reddy GP. Digital tomosynthesis of the chest: current and emerging applications. Radiographics 2014; 34:359.
- Pretreatment evaluation of non-small-cell lung cancer. The American Thoracic Society and The European Respiratory Society. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1997; 156:320.
- Parry RA, Glaze SA, Archer BR. The AAPM/RSNA physics tutorial for residents. Typical patient radiation doses in diagnostic radiology. Radiographics 1999; 19:1289.
- Hendee WR, O'Connor MK. Radiation risks of medical imaging: separating fact from fantasy. Radiology 2012; 264:312.
- Amis ES Jr, Butler PF, Applegate KE, et al. American College of Radiology white paper on radiation dose in medicine. J Am Coll Radiol 2007; 4:272.
- Mayo JR, Aldrich J, Muller NL, Fleischner Society. Radiation exposure at chest CT: a statement of the Fleischner Society. Radiology 2003; 228:15.
- Gámez C, Rosell R, Fernández A, et al. PET/CT fusion scan in lung cancer: current recommendations and innovations. J Thorac Oncol 2006; 1:74.
- Iezzi A, Magarelli N, Carriero A, et al. [Staging of pulmonary apex tumors. Computerized tomography versus magnetic resonance]. Radiol Med 1994; 88:24.
- Mayo JR. Magnetic resonance imaging of the chest. Where we stand. Radiol Clin North Am 1994; 32:795.
- Laissy JP, Soyer P, Sekkal SR, et al. Assessment of vascular involvement with magnetic resonance angiography (MRA) in Pancoast syndrome. Magn Reson Imaging 1995; 13:523.
- Touliopoulos P, Costello P. Helical (spiral) CT of the thorax. Radiol Clin North Am 1995; 33:843.
- Schröder C, Schönhofer B, Vogel B. Transesophageal echographic determination of aortic invasion by lung cancer. Chest 2005; 127:438.
- Silvestri GA, Gould MK, Margolis ML, et al. Noninvasive staging of non-small cell lung cancer: ACCP evidenced-based clinical practice guidelines (2nd edition). Chest 2007; 132:178S.
- Walker CM, Chung JH, Abbott GF, et al. Mediastinal lymph node staging: from noninvasive to surgical. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2012; 199:W54.
- El-Sherief AH, Lau CT, Wu CC, et al. International association for the study of lung cancer (IASLC) lymph node map: radiologic review with CT illustration. Radiographics 2014; 34:1680.
- Vansteenkiste JF, Stroobants SS. PET scan in lung cancer: current recommendations and innovation. J Thorac Oncol 2006; 1:71.
- Patz EF Jr, Lowe VJ, Goodman PC, Herndon J. Thoracic nodal staging with PET imaging with 18FDG in patients with bronchogenic carcinoma. Chest 1995; 108:1617.
- Pieterman RM, van Putten JW, Meuzelaar JJ, et al. Preoperative staging of non-small-cell lung cancer with positron-emission tomography. N Engl J Med 2000; 343:254.
- van Tinteren H, Hoekstra OS, Smit EF, et al. Effectiveness of positron emission tomography in the preoperative assessment of patients with suspected non-small-cell lung cancer: the PLUS multicentre randomised trial. Lancet 2002; 359:1388.
- Gould MK, Kuschner WG, Rydzak CE, et al. Test performance of positron emission tomography and computed tomography for mediastinal staging in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer: a meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med 2003; 139:879.
- Fischer BM, Mortensen J, Højgaard L. Positron emission tomography in the diagnosis and staging of lung cancer: a systematic, quantitative review. Lancet Oncol 2001; 2:659.
- Birim O, Kappetein AP, Stijnen T, Bogers AJ. Meta-analysis of positron emission tomographic and computed tomographic imaging in detecting mediastinal lymph node metastases in nonsmall cell lung cancer. Ann Thorac Surg 2005; 79:375.
- Bury T, Dowlati A, Paulus P, et al. Whole-body 18FDG positron emission tomography in the staging of non-small cell lung cancer. Eur Respir J 1997; 10:2529.
- Weder W, Schmid RA, Bruchhaus H, et al. Detection of extrathoracic metastases by positron emission tomography in lung cancer. Ann Thorac Surg 1998; 66:886.
- Valk PE, Pounds TR, Hopkins DM, et al. Staging non-small cell lung cancer by whole-body positron emission tomographic imaging. Ann Thorac Surg 1995; 60:1573.
- Marom EM, McAdams HP, Erasmus JJ, et al. Staging non-small cell lung cancer with whole-body PET. Radiology 1999; 212:803.
- Hustinx R, Paulus P, Jacquet N, et al. Clinical evaluation of whole-body 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography in the detection of liver metastases. Ann Oncol 1998; 9:397.
- Delbeke D, Martin WH, Sandler MP, et al. Evaluation of benign vs malignant hepatic lesions with positron emission tomography. Arch Surg 1998; 133:510.
- Kalff V, Hicks RJ, MacManus MP, et al. Clinical impact of (18)F fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer: a prospective study. J Clin Oncol 2001; 19:111.
- Saunders CA, Dussek JE, O'Doherty MJ, Maisey MN. Evaluation of fluorine-18-fluorodeoxyglucose whole body positron emission tomography imaging in the staging of lung cancer. Ann Thorac Surg 1999; 67:790.
- Lewis P, Griffin S, Marsden P, et al. Whole-body 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography in preoperative evaluation of lung cancer. Lancet 1994; 344:1265.
- Yi CA, Lee KS, Kim BT, et al. Tissue characterization of solitary pulmonary nodule: comparative study between helical dynamic CT and integrated PET/CT. J Nucl Med 2006; 47:443.
- Kim SK, Allen-Auerbach M, Goldin J, et al. Accuracy of PET/CT in characterization of solitary pulmonary lesions. J Nucl Med 2007; 48:214.
- Pozo-Rodríguez F, Martín de Nicolás JL, Sánchez-Nistal MA, et al. Accuracy of helical computed tomography and [18F] fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography for identifying lymph node mediastinal metastases in potentially resectable non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 2005; 23:8348.
- Antoch G, Stattaus J, Nemat AT, et al. Non-small cell lung cancer: dual-modality PET/CT in preoperative staging. Radiology 2003; 229:526.
- Lardinois D, Weder W, Hany TF, et al. Staging of non-small-cell lung cancer with integrated positron-emission tomography and computed tomography. N Engl J Med 2003; 348:2500.
- Cerfolio RJ, Ojha B, Bryant AS, et al. The accuracy of integrated PET-CT compared with dedicated PET alone for the staging of patients with nonsmall cell lung cancer. Ann Thorac Surg 2004; 78:1017.
- Wu Y, Li P, Zhang H, et al. Diagnostic value of fluorine 18 fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography/computed tomography for the detection of metastases in non-small-cell lung cancer patients. Int J Cancer 2013; 132:E37.
- De Wever W, Vankan Y, Stroobants S, Verschakelen J. Detection of extrapulmonary lesions with integrated PET/CT in the staging of lung cancer. Eur Respir J 2007; 29:995.
- Lardinois D, Weder W, Roudas M, et al. Etiology of solitary extrapulmonary positron emission tomography and computed tomography findings in patients with lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 2005; 23:6846.
- Fischer B, Lassen U, Mortensen J, et al. Preoperative staging of lung cancer with combined PET-CT. N Engl J Med 2009; 361:32.
- Maziak DE, Darling GE, Inculet RI, et al. Positron emission tomography in staging early lung cancer: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 2009; 151:221.
- Zhang C, Liao C, Penney BC, et al. Relationship between Overall Survival of Patients with Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer and Whole-Body Metabolic Tumor Burden Seen on Postsurgical Fluorodeoxyglucose PET Images. Radiology 2015; 275:862.
- Schellinger PD, Meinck HM, Thron A. Diagnostic accuracy of MRI compared to CCT in patients with brain metastases. J Neurooncol 1999; 44:275.
- Weinreb JC. Which study when? Is gadolinium-enhanced MR imaging safer than iodine-enhanced CT? Radiology 2008; 249:3.
- Nandwana SB, Moreno CC, Osipow MT, et al. Gadobenate Dimeglumine Administration and Nephrogenic Systemic Fibrosis: Is There a Real Risk in Patients with Impaired Renal Function? Radiology 2015; 276:741.
- Reinig JW, Stutley JE, Leonhardt CM, et al. Differentiation of adrenal masses with MR imaging: comparison of techniques. Radiology 1994; 192:41.
- Reinig JW, Doppman JL, Dwyer AJ, et al. Adrenal masses differentiated by MR. Radiology 1986; 158:81.
- Pfister DG, Johnson DH, Azzoli CG, et al. American Society of Clinical Oncology treatment of unresectable non-small-cell lung cancer guideline: update 2003. J Clin Oncol 2004; 22:330.
- Ernst A, Silvestri GA, Johnstone D, American College of Chest Physicians. Interventional pulmonary procedures: Guidelines from the American College of Chest Physicians. Chest 2003; 123:1693.
- Bury T, Barreto A, Daenen F, et al. Fluorine-18 deoxyglucose positron emission tomography for the detection of bone metastases in patients with non-small cell lung cancer. Eur J Nucl Med 1998; 25:1244.
- TNM STAGING
- IMAGING MODALITIES
- Chest radiography
- Computed tomography
- - Technique
- - Tumor
- - Lymph nodes
- - Metastases
- Positron emission tomography
- - Technique
- - Tumor
- - Lymph nodes
- - Metastases
- Integrated PET/CT
- - Tumor
- - Lymph nodes
- - Metastases
- - Overall impact
- Magnetic resonance imaging
- Bone scan
- APPROACH TO RADIOLOGIC STAGING
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS