Idiopathic restrictive cardiomyopathy
- Naser M Ammash, MD
Naser M Ammash, MD
- Professor of Medicine
- Mayo Medical School
- A Jamil Tajik, MD
A Jamil Tajik, MD
- Thomas J. Watson Jr Professor (Emeritus)
- Mayo Clinic
- President Aurora Cardiovascular
- Aurora St. Luke's Medical Center
Primary cardiomyopathies are classified into several general categories depending upon their respective disorders of structure and function (table 1 and table 2) [1-3]. (See "Definition and classification of the cardiomyopathies".)
●Arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy/arrhythmogenic cardiomyopathy.
- Report of the WHO/ISFC task force on the definition and classification of cardiomyopathies. Br Heart J 1980; 44:672.
- Richardson P, McKenna W, Bristow M, et al. Report of the 1995 World Health Organization/International Society and Federation of Cardiology Task Force on the Definition and Classification of cardiomyopathies. Circulation 1996; 93:841.
- Elliott P, Andersson B, Arbustini E, et al. Classification of the cardiomyopathies: a position statement from the European Society Of Cardiology Working Group on Myocardial and Pericardial Diseases. Eur Heart J 2008; 29:270.
- Kushwaha SS, Fallon JT, Fuster V. Restrictive cardiomyopathy. N Engl J Med 1997; 336:267.
- Parvatiyar MS, Pinto JR, Dweck D, Potter JD. Cardiac troponin mutations and restrictive cardiomyopathy. J Biomed Biotechnol 2010; 2010:350706.
- Benotti JR, Grossman W, Cohn PF. Clinical profile of restrictive cardiomyopathy. Circulation 1980; 61:1206.
- Ammash NM, Seward JB, Bailey KR, et al. Clinical profile and outcome of idiopathic restrictive cardiomyopathy. Circulation 2000; 101:2490.
- Hatle LK, Appleton CP, Popp RL. Differentiation of constrictive pericarditis and restrictive cardiomyopathy by Doppler echocardiography. Circulation 1989; 79:357.
- Palka P, Lange A, Donnelly JE, Nihoyannopoulos P. Differentiation between restrictive cardiomyopathy and constrictive pericarditis by early diastolic doppler myocardial velocity gradient at the posterior wall. Circulation 2000; 102:655.
- Angelini A, Calzolari V, Thiene G, et al. Morphologic spectrum of primary restrictive cardiomyopathy. Am J Cardiol 1997; 80:1046.
- Fitzpatrick AP, Shapiro LM, Rickards AF, Poole-Wilson PA. Familial restrictive cardiomyopathy with atrioventricular block and skeletal myopathy. Br Heart J 1990; 63:114.
- Mogensen J, Kubo T, Duque M, et al. Idiopathic restrictive cardiomyopathy is part of the clinical expression of cardiac troponin I mutations. J Clin Invest 2003; 111:209.
- Peled Y, Gramlich M, Yoskovitz G, et al. Titin mutation in familial restrictive cardiomyopathy. Int J Cardiol 2014; 171:24.
- Kaski JP, Syrris P, Burch M, et al. Idiopathic restrictive cardiomyopathy in children is caused by mutations in cardiac sarcomere protein genes. Heart 2008; 94:1478.
- Wu W, Lu CX, Wang YN, et al. Novel Phenotype-Genotype Correlations of Restrictive Cardiomyopathy With Myosin-Binding Protein C (MYBPC3) Gene Mutations Tested by Next-Generation Sequencing. J Am Heart Assoc 2015; 4.
- Selvaganesh M, Arul AS, Balasubramanian S, et al. An unusual ECG pattern in restrictive cardimyopathy. Indian Heart J 2015; 67:362.
- Carroll JD, Gaasch WH, McAdam KP. Amyloid cardiomyopathy: characterization by a distinctive voltage/mass relation. Am J Cardiol 1982; 49:9.
- Reddy PR, Dieter RS, Das P, et al. Utility of BNP in differentiating constrictive pericarditis from restrictive cardiomyopathy in patients with renal insufficiency. J Card Fail 2007; 13:668.
- Leya FS, Arab D, Joyal D, et al. The efficacy of brain natriuretic peptide levels in differentiating constrictive pericarditis from restrictive cardiomyopathy. J Am Coll Cardiol 2005; 45:1900.
- Sengupta PP, Krishnamoorthy VK, Abhayaratna WP, et al. Comparison of usefulness of tissue Doppler imaging versus brain natriuretic peptide for differentiation of constrictive pericardial disease from restrictive cardiomyopathy. Am J Cardiol 2008; 102:357.
- Seward JB, Casaclang-Verzosa G. Infiltrative cardiovascular diseases: cardiomyopathies that look alike. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010; 55:1769.
- Bellavia D, Pellikka PA, Abraham TP, et al. Evidence of impaired left ventricular systolic function by Doppler myocardial imaging in patients with systemic amyloidosis and no evidence of cardiac involvement by standard two-dimensional and Doppler echocardiography. Am J Cardiol 2008; 101:1039.
- Amaki M, Savino J, Ain DL, et al. Diagnostic concordance of echocardiography and cardiac magnetic resonance-based tissue tracking for differentiating constrictive pericarditis from restrictive cardiomyopathy. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging 2014; 7:819.
- Karamitsos TD, Francis JM, Myerson S, et al. The role of cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging in heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol 2009; 54:1407.
- Siegel RJ, Shah PK, Fishbein MC. Idiopathic restrictive cardiomyopathy. Circulation 1984; 70:165.
- Hosenpud JD, Niles NR. Clinical, hemodynamic and endomyocardial biopsy findings in idiopathic restrictive cardiomyopathy. West J Med 1986; 144:303.
- Friedrich SP, Lorell BH, Rousseau MF, et al. Intracardiac angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibition improves diastolic function in patients with left ventricular hypertrophy due to aortic stenosis. Circulation 1994; 90:2761.
- DePasquale EC, Nasir K, Jacoby DL. Outcomes of adults with restrictive cardiomyopathy after heart transplantation. J Heart Lung Transplant 2012; 31:1269.
- Grupper A, Park SJ, Pereira NL, et al. Role of ventricular assist therapy for patients with heart failure and restrictive physiology: Improving outcomes for a lethal disease. J Heart Lung Transplant 2015; 34:1042.
- Hajjar RJ, del Monte F, Matsui T, Rosenzweig A. Prospects for gene therapy for heart failure. Circ Res 2000; 86:616.
- Kubo T, Gimeno JR, Bahl A, et al. Prevalence, clinical significance, and genetic basis of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy with restrictive phenotype. J Am Coll Cardiol 2007; 49:2419.