Henoch-Schönlein purpura (immunoglobulin A vasculitis): Management
- Fatma Dedeoglu, MD
Fatma Dedeoglu, MD
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
- Harvard Medical School
- Susan Kim, MD, MMSc
Susan Kim, MD, MMSc
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics
- University of California, San Francisco
Henoch-Schönlein purpura (HSP), also called immunoglobulin A vasculitis (IgAV) , is the most common systemic vasculitis of childhood. Ninety percent of cases occur in the pediatric age group. In contrast to other forms of systemic vasculitis, HSP (IgAV) is usually self-limited and is characterized by a tetrad of clinical manifestations that vary in their presence and order of presentation:
●Palpable purpura in patients with neither thrombocytopenia nor coagulopathy
●Arthralgia and/or arthritis
- Jennette JC, Falk RJ, Bacon PA, et al. 2012 revised International Chapel Hill Consensus Conference Nomenclature of Vasculitides. Arthritis Rheum 2013; 65:1.
- Saulsbury FT. Henoch-Schönlein purpura in children. Report of 100 patients and review of the literature. Medicine (Baltimore) 1999; 78:395.
- Weiss PF, Feinstein JA, Luan X, et al. Effects of corticosteroid on Henoch-Schönlein purpura: a systematic review. Pediatrics 2007; 120:1079.
- Rosenblum ND, Winter HS. Steroid effects on the course of abdominal pain in children with Henoch-Schonlein purpura. Pediatrics 1987; 79:1018.
- Leung SP. Use of intravenous hydrocortisone in Henoch-Schonlein purpura. J Paediatr Child Health 2001; 37:309.
- ALLEN DM, DIAMOND LK, HOWELL DA. Anaphylactoid purpura in children (Schonlein-Henoch syndrome): review with a follow-up of the renal complications. AMA J Dis Child 1960; 99:833.
- Szer IS. Gastrointestinal and renal involvement in vasculitis: management strategies in Henoch-Schönlein purpura. Cleve Clin J Med 1999; 66:312.
- Dudley J, Smith G, Llewelyn-Edwards A, et al. Randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial to determine whether steroids reduce the incidence and severity of nephropathy in Henoch-Schonlein Purpura (HSP). Arch Dis Child 2013; 98:756.
- Davin JC, Coppo R. Pitfalls in recommending evidence-based guidelines for a protean disease like Henoch-Schönlein purpura nephritis. Pediatr Nephrol 2013; 28:1897.
- Chang WL, Yang YH, Lin YT, Chiang BL. Gastrointestinal manifestations in Henoch-Schönlein purpura: a review of 261 patients. Acta Paediatr 2004; 93:1427.
- Choong CK, Beasley SW. Intra-abdominal manifestations of Henoch-Schönlein purpura. J Paediatr Child Health 1998; 34:405.
- Schwab J, Benya E, Lin R, Majd K. Contrast enema in children with Henoch-Schönlein purpura. J Pediatr Surg 2005; 40:1221.
- Weiss PF, Klink AJ, Localio R, et al. Corticosteroids may improve clinical outcomes during hospitalization for Henoch-Schönlein purpura. Pediatrics 2010; 126:674.
- Jauhola O, Ronkainen J, Koskimies O, et al. Renal manifestations of Henoch-Schonlein purpura in a 6-month prospective study of 223 children. Arch Dis Child 2010; 95:877.
- Jauhola O, Ronkainen J, Koskimies O, et al. Clinical course of extrarenal symptoms in Henoch-Schonlein purpura: a 6-month prospective study. Arch Dis Child 2010; 95:871.
- Hahn D, Hodson EM, Willis NS, Craig JC. Interventions for preventing and treating kidney disease in Henoch-Schönlein Purpura (HSP). Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2015; :CD005128.
- Huber AM, King J, McLaine P, et al. A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of prednisone in early Henoch Schönlein Purpura [ISRCTN85109383]. BMC Med 2004; 2:7.
- Saulsbury FT. Successful treatment of prolonged Henoch-Schönlein purpura with colchicine. Clin Pediatr (Phila) 2009; 48:866.
- Shin JI, Lee JS, Chung KS. Dapsone therapy for Henoch-Schonlein purpura. Arch Dis Child 2006; 91:714.
- Chartapisak W, Opastirakul S, Hodson EM, et al. Interventions for preventing and treating kidney disease in Henoch-Schönlein Purpura (HSP). Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009; :CD005128.
- Meadow SR. The prognosis of Henoch Schoenlein nephritis. Clin Nephrol 1978; 9:87.
- Trapani S, Micheli A, Grisolia F, et al. Henoch Schonlein purpura in childhood: epidemiological and clinical analysis of 150 cases over a 5-year period and review of literature. Semin Arthritis Rheum 2005; 35:143.
- Haroon M. Should children with Henoch-Schonlein purpura and abdominal pain be treated with steroids? Arch Dis Child 2005; 90:1196.
- Prais D, Amir J, Nussinovitch M. Recurrent Henoch-Schönlein purpura in children. J Clin Rheumatol 2007; 13:25.
- Lu S, Liu D, Xiao J, et al. Comparison between adults and children with Henoch-Schönlein purpura nephritis. Pediatr Nephrol 2015; 30:791.
- Narchi H. Risk of long term renal impairment and duration of follow up recommended for Henoch-Schonlein purpura with normal or minimal urinary findings: a systematic review. Arch Dis Child 2005; 90:916.
- Ronkainen J, Nuutinen M, Koskimies O. The adult kidney 24 years after childhood Henoch-Schönlein purpura: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet 2002; 360:666.