Henoch-Schönlein purpura (IgA vasculitis): Management
- Fatma Dedeoglu, MD
Fatma Dedeoglu, MD
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
- Harvard Medical School
- Susan Kim, MD, MMSc
Susan Kim, MD, MMSc
- Instructor of Pediatrics
- Children's Hospital, Boston
Henoch-Schönlein purpura (HSP), also called IgA vasculitis (IgAV) , is the most common systemic vasculitis of childhood. Ninety percent of cases occur in the pediatric age group. In contrast to other forms of systemic vasculitis, HSP (IgAV) is usually self limited and is characterized by a tetrad of clinical manifestations that vary in their presence and order of presentation.
●Palpable purpura in patients with neither thrombocytopenia nor coagulopathy
●Arthralgia and/or arthritis
- Jennette JC, Falk RJ, Bacon PA, et al. 2012 revised International Chapel Hill Consensus Conference Nomenclature of Vasculitides. Arthritis Rheum 2013; 65:1.
- Chang WL, Yang YH, Lin YT, Chiang BL. Gastrointestinal manifestations in Henoch-Schönlein purpura: a review of 261 patients. Acta Paediatr 2004; 93:1427.
- Choong CK, Beasley SW. Intra-abdominal manifestations of Henoch-Schönlein purpura. J Paediatr Child Health 1998; 34:405.
- Schwab J, Benya E, Lin R, Majd K. Contrast enema in children with Henoch-Schönlein purpura. J Pediatr Surg 2005; 40:1221.
- Weiss PF, Feinstein JA, Luan X, et al. Effects of corticosteroid on Henoch-Schönlein purpura: a systematic review. Pediatrics 2007; 120:1079.
- Rosenblum ND, Winter HS. Steroid effects on the course of abdominal pain in children with Henoch-Schonlein purpura. Pediatrics 1987; 79:1018.
- Leung SP. Use of intravenous hydrocortisone in Henoch-Schonlein purpura. J Paediatr Child Health 2001; 37:309.
- ALLEN DM, DIAMOND LK, HOWELL DA. Anaphylactoid purpura in children (Schonlein-Henoch syndrome): review with a follow-up of the renal complications. AMA J Dis Child 1960; 99:833.
- Szer IS. Gastrointestinal and renal involvement in vasculitis: management strategies in Henoch-Schönlein purpura. Cleve Clin J Med 1999; 66:312.
- Weiss PF, Klink AJ, Localio R, et al. Corticosteroids may improve clinical outcomes during hospitalization for Henoch-Schönlein purpura. Pediatrics 2010; 126:674.
- Jauhola O, Ronkainen J, Koskimies O, et al. Renal manifestations of Henoch-Schonlein purpura in a 6-month prospective study of 223 children. Arch Dis Child 2010; 95:877.
- Jauhola O, Ronkainen J, Koskimies O, et al. Clinical course of extrarenal symptoms in Henoch-Schonlein purpura: a 6-month prospective study. Arch Dis Child 2010; 95:871.
- Chartapisak W, Opastirakul S, Hodson EM, et al. Interventions for preventing and treating kidney disease in Henoch-Schönlein Purpura (HSP). Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009; :CD005128.
- Huber AM, King J, McLaine P, et al. A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of prednisone in early Henoch Schönlein Purpura [ISRCTN85109383]. BMC Med 2004; 2:7.
- Saulsbury FT. Henoch-Schönlein purpura in children. Report of 100 patients and review of the literature. Medicine (Baltimore) 1999; 78:395.
- Meadow SR. The prognosis of Henoch Schoenlein nephritis. Clin Nephrol 1978; 9:87.
- Trapani S, Micheli A, Grisolia F, et al. Henoch Schonlein purpura in childhood: epidemiological and clinical analysis of 150 cases over a 5-year period and review of literature. Semin Arthritis Rheum 2005; 35:143.
- Narchi H. Risk of long term renal impairment and duration of follow up recommended for Henoch-Schonlein purpura with normal or minimal urinary findings: a systematic review. Arch Dis Child 2005; 90:916.
- Ronkainen J, Nuutinen M, Koskimies O. The adult kidney 24 years after childhood Henoch-Schönlein purpura: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet 2002; 360:666.