Hematologic manifestations of systemic lupus erythematosus
- Peter H Schur, MD
Peter H Schur, MD
- Editor-in-Chief — Rheumatology
- Section Editor — Basic Science
- Professor of Medicine
- Harvard Medical School
- Nancy Berliner, MD
Nancy Berliner, MD
- Professor of Medicine
- Harvard Medical School
- Chief, Division of Hematology
- Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Section Editor
- David S Pisetsky, MD, PhD
David S Pisetsky, MD, PhD
- Section Editor — Lupus
- Professor of Medicine and Immunology
- Duke University Medical Center
Hematologic abnormalities are common in systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), both at the time of diagnosis and throughout the course of the disease. The major hematologic manifestations of SLE include anemia, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, lymphadenopathy, and/or splenomegaly. These abnormalities may be a manifestation of SLE, related to another concomitant disease, and/or caused by an SLE treatment. Alterations in hemostasis have also been observed in SLE patients and are likely associated with autoantibodies. Autoantibodies may be prothrombotic (eg, antiphospholipid antibodies [aPL]) or, conversely, may inhibit the function of clotting factors and increase the risk of serious bleeding.
This topic review will provide an overview of the hematologic manifestations of SLE. The clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and an overview of the management of SLE in children and adults are discussed separately. (See "Overview of the clinical manifestations of systemic lupus erythematosus in adults" and "Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) in children: Clinical manifestations and diagnosis" and "Diagnosis and differential diagnosis of systemic lupus erythematosus in adults" and "Overview of the management and prognosis of systemic lupus erythematosus in adults".)
Anemia — Anemia is the most common hematologic abnormality in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and affects more than half of all patients [1-4].
Causes of anemia — Multiple mechanisms may contribute to the development of anemia in patients with SLE [1,2,5-11]:
- Giannouli S, Voulgarelis M, Ziakas PD, Tzioufas AG. Anaemia in systemic lupus erythematosus: from pathophysiology to clinical assessment. Ann Rheum Dis 2006; 65:144.
- Aleem A, Al Arfaj AS, khalil N, Alarfaj H. Haematological abnormalities in systemic lupus erythematosus. Acta Reumatol Port 2014; 39:236.
- Velo-García A, Castro SG, Isenberg DA. The diagnosis and management of the haematologic manifestations of lupus. J Autoimmun 2016; 74:139.
- Fayyaz A, Igoe A, Kurien BT, et al. Haematological manifestations of lupus. Lupus Sci Med 2015; 2:e000078.
- Monrad SU, Kaplan MJ. Cellular Hematology. In: Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, 5th, Lahita R, Tsokos G, Buyon J, Koike T. (Eds), Elsevier and Academic Press, Amsterdam 2011.
- Bhatt AS, Berliner N. Hematologic Manifestations of SLE. In: Lupus Erythematosus: Clinical Evaluation and Treatment, Schur P, Massarotti E. (Eds), Springer, New York 2012. p.127-140.
- Newman K, Owlia MB, El-Hemaidi I, Akhtari M. Management of immune cytopenias in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus - Old and new. Autoimmun Rev 2013; 12:784.
- Keeling DM, Isenberg DA. Haematological manifestations of systemic lupus erythematosus. Blood Rev 1993; 7:199.
- Liu H, Ozaki K, Matsuzaki Y, et al. Suppression of haematopoiesis by IgG autoantibodies from patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). Clin Exp Immunol 1995; 100:480.
- Habib GS, Saliba WR, Froom P. Pure red cell aplasia and lupus. Semin Arthritis Rheum 2002; 31:279.
- Voulgarelis M, Kokori SI, Ioannidis JP, et al. Anaemia in systemic lupus erythematosus: aetiological profile and the role of erythropoietin. Ann Rheum Dis 2000; 59:217.
- Levine AB, Erkan D. Clinical assessment and management of cytopenias in lupus patients. Curr Rheumatol Rep 2011; 13:291.
- Mittal S, Agarwal P, Wakhlu A, et al. Anaemia in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Based on Iron Studies and Soluble Transferrin Receptor Levels. J Clin Diagn Res 2016; 10:EC08.
- Weiss G, Schett G. Anaemia in inflammatory rheumatic diseases. Nat Rev Rheumatol 2013; 9:205.
- Jeffries M, Hamadeh F, Aberle T, et al. Haemolytic anaemia in a multi-ethnic cohort of lupus patients: a clinical and serological perspective. Lupus 2008; 17:739.
- Kokori SI, Ioannidis JP, Voulgarelis M, et al. Autoimmune hemolytic anemia in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Am J Med 2000; 108:198.
- Michel M, Chanet V, Dechartres A, et al. The spectrum of Evans syndrome in adults: new insight into the disease based on the analysis of 68 cases. Blood 2009; 114:3167.
- Jacob HS. Pulse steroids in hematologic diseases. Hosp Pract (Off Ed) 1985; 20:87.
- Gomard-Mennesson E, Ruivard M, Koenig M, et al. Treatment of isolated severe immune hemolytic anaemia associated with systemic lupus erythematosus: 26 cases. Lupus 2006; 15:223.
- Coon WW. Splenectomy for cytopenias associated with systemic lupus erythematosus. Am J Surg 1988; 155:391.
- Rivero SJ, Alger M, Alarcón-Segovia D. Splenectomy for hemocytopenia in systemic lupus erythematosus. A controlled appraisal. Arch Intern Med 1979; 139:773.
- Corley CC Jr, Lessner HE, Larsen WE. Azathioprine therapy of "autoimmune" diseases. Am J Med 1966; 41:404.
- Murphy S, LoBuglio AF. Drug therapy of autoimmune hemolytic anemia. Semin Hematol 1976; 13:323.
- Alba P, Karim MY, Hunt BJ. Mycophenolate mofetil as a treatment for autoimmune haemolytic anaemia in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus and antiphospholipid syndrome. Lupus 2003; 12:633.
- Chan AC, Sack K. Danazol therapy in autoimmune hemolytic anemia associated with systemic lupus erythematosus. J Rheumatol 1991; 18:280.
- Ahn YS, Harrington WJ, Mylvaganam R, et al. Danazol therapy for autoimmune hemolytic anemia. Ann Intern Med 1985; 102:298.
- Letchumanan P, Thumboo J. Danazol in the treatment of systemic lupus erythematosus: a qualitative systematic review. Semin Arthritis Rheum 2011; 40:298.
- Abdwani R, Mani R. Anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody in acute life threatening haemolytic anaemia complicating childhood onset SLE. Lupus 2009; 18:460.
- Tamimoto Y, Horiuchi T, Tsukamoto H, et al. A dose-escalation study of rituximab for treatment of systemic lupus erythematosus and Evans' syndrome: immunological analysis of B cells, T cells and cytokines. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2008; 47:821.
- Scheinberg M, Hamerschlak N, Kutner JM, et al. Rituximab in refractory autoimmune diseases: Brazilian experience with 29 patients (2002-2004). Clin Exp Rheumatol 2006; 24:65.
- Hara A, Wada T, Kitajima S, et al. Combined pure red cell aplasia and autoimmune hemolytic anemia in systemic lupus erythematosus with anti-erythropoietin autoantibodies. Am J Hematol 2008; 83:750.
- Winkler A, Jackson RW, Kay DS, et al. High-dose intravenous cyclophosphamide treatment of systemic lupus erythematosus-associated aplastic anemia. Arthritis Rheum 1988; 31:693.
- Picceli VF, Skare TL, Nisihara R, et al. Spectrum of autoantibodies for gastrointestinal autoimmune diseases in systemic lupus erythematosus patients. Lupus 2013; 22:1150.
- Budman DR, Steinberg AD. Hematologic aspects of systemic lupus erythematosus. Current concepts. Ann Intern Med 1977; 86:220.
- Martínez-Baños D, Crispín JC, Lazo-Langner A, Sánchez-Guerrero J. Moderate and severe neutropenia in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2006; 45:994.
- Perez HD, Lipton M, Goldstein IM. A specific inhibitor of complement (C5)-derived chemotactic activity in serum from patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. J Clin Invest 1978; 62:29.
- Abramson SB, Given WP, Edelson HS, Weissmann G. Neutrophil aggregation induced by sera from patients with active systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum 1983; 26:630.
- Smith CK, Kaplan MJ. The role of neutrophils in the pathogenesis of systemic lupus erythematosus. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2015; 27:448.
- Gupta S, Kaplan MJ. The role of neutrophils and NETosis in autoimmune and renal diseases. Nat Rev Nephrol 2016; 12:402.
- Vasiliu IM, Petri MA, Baer AN. Therapy with granulocyte colony-stimulating factor in systemic lupus erythematosus may be associated with severe flares. J Rheumatol 2006; 33:1878.
- Euler HH, Harten P, Zeuner RA, Schwab UM. Recombinant human granulocyte colony stimulating factor in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus associated neutropenia and refractory infections. J Rheumatol 1997; 24:2153.
- Hellmich B, Schnabel A, Gross WL. Treatment of severe neutropenia due to Felty's syndrome or systemic lupus erythematosus with granulocyte colony-stimulating factor. Semin Arthritis Rheum 1999; 29:82.
- Starkebaum G. Chronic neutropenia associated with autoimmune disease. Semin Hematol 2002; 39:121.
- Rivero SJ, Díaz-Jouanen E, Alarcón-Segovia D. Lymphopenia in systemic lupus erythematosus. Clinical, diagnostic, and prognostic significance. Arthritis Rheum 1978; 21:295.
- Vilá LM, Alarcón GS, McGwin G Jr, et al. Systemic lupus erythematosus in a multiethnic US cohort, XXXVII: association of lymphopenia with clinical manifestations, serologic abnormalities, disease activity, and damage accrual. Arthritis Rheum 2006; 55:799.
- Winfield JB, Winchester RJ, Kunkel HG. Association of cold-reactive antilymphocyte antibodies with lymphopenia in systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum 1975; 18:587.
- Massardo L, Metz C, Pardo E, et al. Autoantibodies against galectin-8: their specificity, association with lymphopenia in systemic lupus erythematosus and detection in rheumatoid arthritis and acute inflammation. Lupus 2009; 18:539.
- Vananuvat P, Suwannalai P, Sungkanuparph S, et al. Primary prophylaxis for Pneumocystis jirovecii pneumonia in patients with connective tissue diseases. Semin Arthritis Rheum 2011; 41:497.
- Karpatkin S. Autoimmune thrombocytopenic purpura. Blood 1980; 56:329.
- Ziakas PD, Giannouli S, Zintzaras E, et al. Lupus thrombocytopenia: clinical implications and prognostic significance. Ann Rheum Dis 2005; 64:1366.
- Pujol M, Ribera A, Vilardell M, et al. High prevalence of platelet autoantibodies in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Br J Haematol 1995; 89:137.
- Michel M, Lee K, Piette JC, et al. Platelet autoantibodies and lupus-associated thrombocytopenia. Br J Haematol 2002; 119:354.
- You YN, Tefferi A, Nagorney DM. Outcome of splenectomy for thrombocytopenia associated with systemic lupus erythematosus. Ann Surg 2004; 240:286.
- Voulgarelis M, Giannouli S, Tasidou A, et al. Bone marrow histological findings in systemic lupus erythematosus with hematologic abnormalities: a clinicopathological study. Am J Hematol 2006; 81:590.
- Wanitpongpun C, Teawtrakul N, Mahakkanukrauh A, et al. Bone marrow abnormalities in systemic lupus erythematosus with peripheral cytopenia. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2012; 30:825.
- Ahn SS, Yoo BW, Jung SM, et al. In-hospital mortality in febrile lupus patients based on 2016 EULAR/ACR/PRINTO classification criteria for macrophage activation syndrome. Semin Arthritis Rheum 2017.
- Lambotte O, Khellaf M, Harmouche H, et al. Characteristics and long-term outcome of 15 episodes of systemic lupus erythematosus-associated hemophagocytic syndrome. Medicine (Baltimore) 2006; 85:169.
- Petri M. Epidemiology of the antiphospholipid antibody syndrome. J Autoimmun 2000; 15:145.
- Ünlü O, Zuily S, Erkan D. The clinical significance of antiphospholipid antibodies in systemic lupus erythematosus. Eur J Rheumatol 2016; 3:75.
- Yadlapati S, Efthimiou P. Autoimmune/Inflammatory Arthritis Associated Lymphomas: Who Is at Risk? Biomed Res Int 2016; 2016:8631061.
- Goobie GC, Bernatsky S, Ramsey-Goldman R, Clarke AE. Malignancies in systemic lupus erythematosus: a 2015 update. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2015; 27:454.
- Cao L, Tong H, Xu G, et al. Systemic lupus erythematous and malignancy risk: a meta-analysis. PLoS One 2015; 10:e0122964.
- Boumpas DT, Chrousos GP, Wilder RL, et al. Glucocorticoid therapy for immune-mediated diseases: basic and clinical correlates. Ann Intern Med 1993; 119:1198.
- Castellino G, Govoni M, Prandini N, et al. Thrombocytosis in systemic lupus erythematosus: a possible clue to autosplenectomy? J Rheumatol 2007; 34:1497.
- - Causes of anemia
- Anemia of chronic disease
- Iron deficiency
- Autoimmune destruction
- - Autoimmune hemolytic anemia
- - Pure red cell aplasia
- Microangiopathic hemolytic anemia
- Pernicious anemia
- - Evaluation of anemia
- - Neutropenia
- - Lymphocytopenia
- - Causes of thrombocytopenia
- - Evaluation and initial management of thrombocytopenia
- - Causes of pancytopenia
- - Evaluation and initial management of pancytopenia
- Antiphospholipid antibodies and antiphospholipid syndrome
- LYMPHADENOPATHY, SPLENOMEGALY, AND HIGH BLOOD CELL COUNTS
- Evaluation of lymphadenopathy, splenomegaly, and leukocytosis
- INFORMATION FOR PATIENTS
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS