Group prenatal care
- Sharon Schindler Rising, MSN, CNM, FACNM
Sharon Schindler Rising, MSN, CNM, FACNM
- Centering Healthcare Institute
Prenatal and postpartum care should focus on the pregnant woman, the fetus/infant, and the family .
Objectives for the pregnant women include:
●Increase her well-being before, during, and after pregnancy and to improve her self-image and self-care
●Reduce maternal mortality and morbidity, fetal loss, and unnecessary pregnancy intervention
●Reduce the risks to her health prior to subsequent pregnancies and beyond childbearing years
- Caring for our future: the content of prenatal care. US Public Health Service, Dept of Health & Human Services, Washington, DC 1989.
- Rising SS. Centering pregnancy. An interdisciplinary model of empowerment. J Nurse Midwifery 1998; 43:46.
- Teate A, Leap N, Rising SS, Homer CS. Women's experiences of group antenatal care in Australia--the CenteringPregnancy Pilot Study. Midwifery 2011; 27:138.
- Gaudion, A, Menka, Y. No decision about me without me: Centering Pregnancy. The Practising Midwife 2010; 13;15.
- Klima C, Norr K, Vonderheid S, Handler A. Introduction of CenteringPregnancy in a public health clinic. J Midwifery Womens Health 2009; 54:27.
- Rising SS, Kennedy HP, Klima CS. Redesigning prenatal care through CenteringPregnancy. J Midwifery Womens Health 2004; 49:398.
- Novick G, Reid AE, Lewis J, et al. Group prenatal care: model fidelity and outcomes. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2013; 209:112.e1.
- Hackley, B, Applebaum, J, Wilcox, W, Arevalo, S. Impact of two scheduling systems on early enrollment in a group prenatal care program. JMWH 2009; 54:168.
- Centering group care start up. [Cited December 2010]. Available from www.centeringhealthcare.org/pages/centering-model/group-start-up.php.
- Ickovics JR, Kershaw TS, Westdahl C, et al. Group prenatal care and perinatal outcomes: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol 2007; 110:330.
- Mooney SE, Russell MA, Prairie B, et al. Group prenatal care: an analysis of cost. J Health Care Finance 2008; 34:31.
- Klima CS. Centering pregnancy: a model for pregnant adolescents. J Midwifery Womens Health 2003; 48:220.
- Rising, SS, Jolivet, R. Circles of community: the CenteringPregnancy© group prenatal care model. In: Birth Models That Work, Davis-Floyd, R, Barclay, L, Daviss, BA, Tritten, J (Eds), University of California Press, Berkeley and London 2009. P.365.
- Rising SS, Senterfitt C. Repairing health care: building relationships through groups. Creat Nurs 2009; 15:178.
- Novick G, Sadler LS, Knafl KA, et al. The intersection of everyday life and group prenatal care for women in two urban clinics. J Health Care Poor Underserved 2012; 23:589.
- Gaudion A, Menka Y. 'No decision about me without me': centering pregnancy. Pract Midwife 2010; 13:15.
- DeFrancesco, M, Rising, SS. A new way to be “patient-centered” and help your practice. The Female Patient 2010; 35:46.
- Homer CS, Ryan C, Leap N, et al. Group versus conventional antenatal care for women. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012; 11:CD007622.
- Ickovics JR, Kershaw TS, Westdahl C, et al. Group prenatal care and preterm birth weight: results from a matched cohort study at public clinics. Obstet Gynecol 2003; 102:1051.
- Picklesimer AH, Billings D, Hale N, et al. The effect of CenteringPregnancy group prenatal care on preterm birth in a low-income population. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2012; 206:415.e1.
- Kennedy HP, Farrell T, Paden R, et al. A randomized clinical trial of group prenatal care in two military settings. Mil Med 2011; 176:1169.
- Barr WB, Aslam S, Levin M. Evaluation of a group prenatal care-based curriculum in a family medicine residency. Fam Med 2011; 43:712.
- Hale N, Picklesimer AH, Billings DL, Covington-Kolb S. The impact of Centering Pregnancy Group Prenatal Care on postpartum family planning. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2014; 210:50.e1.
- Skelton, J, Mullins, R, Langston, L, Womack, S, Ebersole, J, Rising, SS, Kovarik, R. Centering Pregnancy Smiles: implementation of a small group prenatal care model with oral health. Journal of Poor and Underserved 2009; 20:545.
- Massey Z, Rising SS, Ickovics J. CenteringPregnancy group prenatal care: Promoting relationship-centered care. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs 2006; 35:286.
- Grady MA, Bloom KC. Pregnancy outcomes of adolescents enrolled in a CenteringPregnancy program. J Midwifery Womens Health 2004; 49:412.
- Kennedy HP, Farrell T, Paden R, et al. "I wasn't alone"--a study of group prenatal care in the military. J Midwifery Womens Health 2009; 54:176.
- Baldwin KA. Comparison of selected outcomes of CenteringPregnancy versus traditional prenatal care. J Midwifery Womens Health 2006; 51:266.
- Tanner-Smith EE, Steinka-Fry KT, Lipsey MW. Effects of CenteringPregnancy group prenatal care on breastfeeding outcomes. J Midwifery Womens Health 2013; 58:389.
- Shakespear K, Waite PJ, Gast J. A comparison of health behaviors of women in centering pregnancy and traditional prenatal care. Matern Child Health J 2010; 14:202.
- Robertson B, Aycock DM, Darnell LA. Comparison of centering pregnancy to traditional care in Hispanic mothers. Matern Child Health J 2009; 13:407.
- Wedin K, Molin J, Crang Svalenius EL. Group antenatal care: new pedagogic method for antenatal care--a pilot study. Midwifery 2010; 26:389.
- Sheeder J, Weber Yorga K, Kabir-Greher K. A review of prenatal group care literature: the need for a structured theoretical framework and systematic evaluation. Matern Child Health J 2012; 16:177.
- Kershaw TS, Magriples U, Westdahl C, et al. Pregnancy as a window of opportunity for HIV prevention: effects of an HIV intervention delivered within prenatal care. Am J Public Health 2009; 99:2079.