- Kiran Motaparthi, MD
Kiran Motaparthi, MD
- Assistant Professor
- Department of Dermatology
- University of Florida College of Medicine
Granuloma faciale is a benign and chronic inflammatory dermatosis that presents as single or multiple red-brown or violaceous papules, plaques, or nodules that range from several millimeters to several centimeters in diameter (picture 1A-E). The most common site for granuloma faciale is the face. Treatment can be challenging.
The clinical features, diagnosis, and treatment of granuloma faciale will be reviewed here.
Granuloma faciale is rare. However, the exact incidence and prevalence are unknown. Middle-aged Caucasian adults are the most common population in which granuloma faciale is reported, and males are more likely to be affected than females. In a French retrospective analysis of 66 patients with granuloma faciale, 41 patients were men and 25 were women, giving a sex ratio of 1.7:1 . All patients were adults and the mean age was 53 years (range 20 to 85 years). Granuloma faciale rarely occurs in children .
The name “granuloma faciale” is a misnomer because granuloma formation is not a histologic feature of this disorder . Rather, vasculitis is a common histologic finding, suggesting that granuloma faciale may be a localized form of cutaneous small vessel vasculitis [1,3,4].
The factors that contribute to the development of granuloma faciale are unknown. Hypersensitivity reactions, actinic exposure, infection, trauma, and radiation are examples of proposed contributors; however, roles for these factors are unproven [4,5].
- Ortonne N, Wechsler J, Bagot M, et al. Granuloma faciale: a clinicopathologic study of 66 patients. J Am Acad Dermatol 2005; 53:1002.
- Welsh JH, Schroeder TL, Levy ML. Granuloma faciale in a child successfully treated with the pulsed dye laser. J Am Acad Dermatol 1999; 41:351.
- Ziemer M, Koehler MJ, Weyers W. Erythema elevatum diutinum - a chronic leukocytoclastic vasculitis microscopically indistinguishable from granuloma faciale? J Cutan Pathol 2011; 38:876.
- Marcoval J, Moreno A, Peyr J. Granuloma faciale: a clinicopathological study of 11 cases. J Am Acad Dermatol 2004; 51:269.
- Chung WK, Park GH, Kim CH, et al. Keloidal granuloma faciale after CO2 laser treatment for melanocytic naevus. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2009; 23:611.
- Barnadas MA, Curell R, Alomar A. Direct immunofluorescence in granuloma faciale: a case report and review of literature. J Cutan Pathol 2006; 33:508.
- Gauger A, Ronet C, Schnopp C, et al. High local interleukin 5 production in granuloma faciale (eosinophilicum): role of clonally expanded skin-specific CD4+ cells. Br J Dermatol 2005; 153:454.
- Tojo G, Fujimura T, Kambayashi Y, et al. Successful treatment of granuloma faciale with topical tacrolimus: a case report and immunohistochemical study. Case Rep Dermatol 2012; 4:158.
- Smoller BR, Bortz J. Immunophenotypic analysis suggests that granuloma faciale is a gamma-interferon-mediated process. J Cutan Pathol 1993; 20:442.
- Zirwas MJ, Abell E, Ruben A, et al. Immunofluorescence findings in granuloma faciale: report of two cases. J Cutan Pathol 2003; 30:314.
- Radin DA, Mehregan DR. Granuloma faciale: distribution of the lesions and review of the literature. Cutis 2003; 72:213.
- Nasiri S, Rahimi H, Farnaghi A, Asadi-Kani Z. Granuloma faciale with disseminated extra facial lesions. Dermatol Online J 2010; 16:5.
- Pedace FJ, Perry HO. Granuloma faciale. A clinical and histopathologic review. Arch Dermatol 1966; 94:387.
- Pratap DV, Putta S, Manmohan G, et al. Granuloma faciale with extra-facial involvement. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 2010; 76:424.
- Roé E, Dalmau J, Peramiquel L, et al. Plasma cell balanitis of zoon treated with topical tacrolimus 0.1%: report of three cases. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2007; 21:284.
- Castellano-Howard L, Fairbee SI, Hogan DJ, et al. Extrafacial granuloma faciale: report of a case and response to treatment. Cutis 2001; 67:413.
- Leite I, Moreira A, Guedes R, et al. Granuloma faciale of the scalp. Dermatol Online J 2011; 17:6.
- Castaño E, Segurado A, Iglesias L, et al. Granuloma faciale entirely in an extrafacial location. Br J Dermatol 1997; 136:978.
- Kavanagh GM, McLaren KM, Hunter JA. Extensive extrafacial granuloma faciale of the scalp. Br J Dermatol 1996; 134:595.
- Zargari O. Disseminated granuloma faciale. Int J Dermatol 2004; 43:210.
- Rusin LJ, Dubin HV, Taylor WB. Disseminated granuloma faciale. Arch Dermatol 1976; 112:1575.
- Bakkour W, Madan V. Rhinophyma-like granuloma faciale successfully treated with carbon dioxide laser. Br J Dermatol 2014; 170:474.
- Requena C, Castejón P, Sanmartín O, et al. Rhinophyma-like granuloma faciale. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2006; 20:881.
- Singh SK, Rai T, Sharma T. A rare case of keloidal granuloma faciale with extra-facial lesions. Indian Dermatol Online J 2013; 4:27.
- Verma R, Das AL, Vaishampayan SS, Vaidya S. Keloidal granuloma faciale with extrafacial lesions. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 2005; 71:345.
- Nogueira A, Lisboa C, Duarte AF, et al. Granuloma faciale with subglottic eosinophilic angiocentric fibrosis: case report and review of the literature. Cutis 2011; 88:77.
- Nigar E, Dhillon R, Carr E, Matin RN. Eosinophilic angiocentric fibrosis and extrafacial granuloma faciale. Histopathology 2007; 51:729.
- Holme SA, Laidler P, Holt PJ. Concurrent granuloma faciale and eosinophilic angiocentric fibrosis. Br J Dermatol 2005; 153:851.
- Chinelli PA, Kawashita MY, Sotto MN, Nico M. Granuloma faciale associated with sinonasal tract eosinophilic angiocentric fibrosis. Acta Derm Venereol 2004; 84:486.
- Yung A, Wachsmuth R, Ramnath R, et al. Eosinophilic angiocentric fibrosis--a rare mucosal variant of granuloma faciale which may present to the dermatologist. Br J Dermatol 2005; 152:574.
- Narayan J, Douglas-Jones AG. Eosinophilic angiocentric fibrosis and granuloma faciale: analysis of cellular infiltrate and review of literature. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2005; 114:35.
- Roberts PF, McCann BG. Eosinophilic angiocentric fibrosis of the upper respiratory tract: a mucosal variant of granuloma faciale? A report of three cases. Histopathology 1985; 9:1217.
- Jain R, Robblee JV, O'Sullivan-Mejia E, et al. Sinonasal eosinophilic angiocentric fibrosis: a report of four cases and review of literature. Head Neck Pathol 2008; 2:309.
- Giannitti C, Nami N, Rubegni P, Fioravanti A. Granuloma faciale, rheumatoid arthritis and Sjögren syndrome: is there a link? J Cutan Pathol 2013; 40:770.
- Roussaki-Schulze A, Klimi E, Zafiriou E, et al. Granuloma faciale associated with adenocarcinoma of the prostate. Int J Dermatol 2002; 41:901.
- Nieboer C, Kalsbeek GL. Immunofluorescence studies in granuloma eosinophilicum faciale. J Cutan Pathol 1978; 5:68.
- Teixeira DA, Estrozi B, Ianhez M. Granuloma faciale: a rare disease from a dermoscopy perspective. An Bras Dermatol 2013; 88:97.
- Caldarola G, Zalaudek I, Argenziano G, et al. Granuloma faciale: a case report on long-term treatment with topical tacrolimus and dermoscopic aspects. Dermatol Ther 2011; 24:508.
- Ploysangam T, Breneman DL, Mutasim DF. Cutaneous pseudolymphomas. J Am Acad Dermatol 1998; 38:877.
- Cecchi R, Pavesi M, Bartoli L, Brunetti L. Topical tacrolimus in the treatment of granuloma faciale. Int J Dermatol 2010; 49:1463.
- Pérez-Robayna N, Rodríguez-García C, González-Hernández S, et al. Successful response to topical tacrolimus for a granuloma faciale in an elderly patient. Dermatology 2009; 219:359.
- Ludwig E, Allam JP, Bieber T, Novak N. New treatment modalities for granuloma faciale. Br J Dermatol 2003; 149:634.
- Gupta L, Naik H, Kumar NM, Kar HK. Granuloma faciale with extrafacial involvement and response to tacrolimus. J Cutan Aesthet Surg 2012; 5:150.
- Patterson C, Coutts I. Granuloma faciale successfully treated with topical tacrolimus. Australas J Dermatol 2009; 50:217.
- Mitchell D. Successful treatment of granuloma faciale with tacrolimus. Dermatol Online J 2004; 10:23.
- Jedlicková H, Feit J, Semrádová V. Granuloma faciale successfully treated with topical tacrolimus: a case report. Acta Dermatovenerol Alp Pannonica Adriat 2008; 17:34.
- Marcoval J, Moreno A, Bordas X, Peyrí J. Granuloma faciale: treatment with topical tacrolimus. J Am Acad Dermatol 2006; 55:S110.
- Tomson N, Sterling JC, Salvary I. Granuloma faciale treated successfully with topical tacrolimus. Clin Exp Dermatol 2009; 34:424.
- Eetam I, Ertekin B, Unal I, Alper S. Granuloma faciale: Is it a new indication for pimecrolimus? A case report. J Dermatolog Treat 2006; 17:238.
- Panagiotopoulos A, Anyfantakis V, Rallis E, et al. Assessment of the efficacy of cryosurgery in the treatment of granuloma faciale. Br J Dermatol 2006; 154:357.
- Dowlati B, Firooz A, Dowlati Y. Granuloma faciale: successful treatment of nine cases with a combination of cryotherapy and intralesional corticosteroid injection. Int J Dermatol 1997; 36:548.
- Surana TV, Arghyaprasun G, Saugato B, et al. Granuloma faciale: exclusively extrafacial. Indian J Dermatol 2013; 58:245.
- Elston DM. Treatment of granuloma faciale with the pulsed dye laser. Cutis 2000; 65:97.
- Fikrle T, Pizinger K. Granuloma Faciale treated with 595-nm pulsed dye laser. Dermatol Surg 2011; 37:102.
- Chatrath V, Rohrer TE. Granuloma faciale successfully treated with long-pulsed tunable dye laser. Dermatol Surg 2002; 28:527.
- Ammirati CT, Hruza GJ. Treatment of granuloma faciale with the 585-nm pulsed dye laser. Arch Dermatol 1999; 135:903.
- Cheung ST, Lanigan SW. Granuloma faciale treated with the pulsed-dye laser: a case series. Clin Exp Dermatol 2005; 30:373.
- Anderson CR. Letter: Dapsone in granuloma faciale. Lancet 1975; 1:642.
- Joshi K, Patel S, Shah PP, et al. Granuloma faciale. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 1998; 64:291.
- van de Kerkhof PC. On the efficacy of dapsone in granuloma faciale. Acta Derm Venereol 1994; 74:61.
- Guill MA, Aton JK. Facial granuloma responsive to dapsone therapy. Arch Dermatol 1982; 118:332.
- Gómez-de la Fuente E, del Rio R, Rodriguez M, et al. Granuloma faciale mimicking rhinophyma: response to clofazimine. Acta Derm Venereol 2000; 80:144.
- Madan V. Recurrent granuloma faciale successfully treated with the carbon dioxide laser. J Cutan Aesthet Surg 2011; 4:156.
- Dinehart SM, Gross DJ, Davis CM, Herzberg AJ. Granuloma faciale. Comparison of different treatment modalities. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1990; 116:849.
- Koplon BS, Wood MG. Granuloma faciale. First reported case in a Negro. Arch Dermatol 1967; 96:188.
- Hudson LD. Granuloma faciale: treatment with topical psoralen and UVA. J Am Acad Dermatol 1983; 8:559.
- CLINICAL FEATURES
- ASSOCIATED DISORDERS
- Clinical evaluation
- Skin biopsy
- DIFFERENTIAL DIAGNOSIS
- First-line therapy
- - Topical tacrolimus
- - Cryotherapy
- - Local corticosteroids
- Other therapies
- - Pulsed dye laser
- - Dapsone
- - Other
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS