Geriatric bipolar disorder: Maintenance treatment
- Martha Sajatovic, MD
Martha Sajatovic, MD
- Director of Geriatric Psychiatry
- Professor of Psychiatry
- Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
- Peijun Chen, MD, MPH, PhD
Peijun Chen, MD, MPH, PhD
- Associate Professor of Psychiatry
- Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
- Staff Geriatric Psychiatrist, Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center
- Section Editors
- Paul Keck, MD
Paul Keck, MD
- Section Editor — Bipolar Disorders
- Professor of Psychiatry
- University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
- Kenneth E Schmader, MD
Kenneth E Schmader, MD
- Editor in Chief — Geriatric Medicine
- Section Editor — Geriatrics
- Chief, Division of Geriatrics
- Duke University
- Director, Geriatric Research Education and Clinical Center
- Durham VA Medical Centers
The clinical features and treatment of older bipolar patients differ from those of younger patients . Up to 25 percent of all bipolar patients are elderly , and the absolute number of geriatric bipolar patients is expected to increase as the world’s population ages over the next several decades [3,4].
This topic reviews the maintenance treatment of geriatric bipolar disorder. The epidemiology, pathogenesis, clinical features, assessment, diagnosis, and acute treatment of geriatric bipolar disorder are discussed separately, as are the clinical features, diagnosis, acute treatment, and maintenance treatment of bipolar disorder in mixed-age patients.
- Sajatovic M, Chen P. Geriatric bipolar disorder. Psychiatr Clin North Am 2011; 34:319.
- Sajatovic M, Blow FC, Ignacio RV, Kales HC. Age-related modifiers of clinical presentation and health service use among veterans with bipolar disorder. Psychiatr Serv 2004; 55:1014.
- United Nations, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division, Population Estimates and Projections Section. http://esa.un.org/unpd/wpp/index.htm (Accessed on June 14, 2011).
- Jeste DV, Alexopoulos GS, Bartels SJ, et al. Consensus statement on the upcoming crisis in geriatric mental health: research agenda for the next 2 decades. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1999; 56:848.
- Young RC, Schulberg HC, Gildengers AG, et al. Conceptual and methodological issues in designing a randomized, controlled treatment trial for geriatric bipolar disorder: GERI-BD. Bipolar Disord 2010; 12:56.
- Depp CA, Jeste DV. Bipolar disorder in older adults: a critical review. Bipolar Disord 2004; 6:343.
- Prabhakar D, Balon R. Late-onset bipolar disorder: a case for careful appraisal. Psychiatry (Edgmont) 2010; 7:34.
- Sajatovic M, Strejilevich SA, Gildengers AG, et al. A report on older-age bipolar disorder from the International Society for Bipolar Disorders Task Force. Bipolar Disord 2015; 17:689.
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5), American Psychiatric Association, Arlington, VA 2013.
- Broadhead J, Jacoby R. Mania in old age: A first prospective study. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 1990; 5:215.
- Burt T, Prudic J, Peyser S, et al. Learning and memory in bipolar and unipolar major depression: effects of aging. Neuropsychiatry Neuropsychol Behav Neurol 2000; 13:246.
- Young RC, Kiosses D, Heo M, et al. Age and ratings of manic psychopathology. Bipolar Disord 2007; 9:301.
- Goldstein BI, Herrmann N, Shulman KI. Comorbidity in bipolar disorder among the elderly: results from an epidemiological community sample. Am J Psychiatry 2006; 163:319.
- Angst J, Gamma A, Sellaro R, et al. Recurrence of bipolar disorders and major depression. A life-long perspective. Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 2003; 253:236.
- Takeshima M, Kurata K. Late-life bipolar depression due to the soft form of bipolar disorder compared to unipolar depression: an inpatient chart review study. J Affect Disord 2010; 123:64.
- Al Jurdi RK, Marangell LB, Petersen NJ, et al. Prescription patterns of psychotropic medications in elderly compared with younger participants who achieved a "recovered" status in the systematic treatment enhancement program for bipolar disorder. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 2008; 16:922.
- Oostervink F, Boomsma MM, Nolen WA, EMBLEM Advisory Board. Bipolar disorder in the elderly; different effects of age and of age of onset. J Affect Disord 2009; 116:176.
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. Bipolar disorder: The management of bipolar disorder in adults, children and adolescents, in primary and secondary care. NICE Clinical Guideline 185, 2014. http://guidance.nice.org.uk/cg185 (Accessed on December 31, 2014).
- Yatham LN, Kennedy SH, Parikh SV, et al. Canadian Network for Mood and Anxiety Treatments (CANMAT) and International Society for Bipolar Disorders (ISBD) collaborative update of CANMAT guidelines for the management of patients with bipolar disorder: update 2013. Bipolar Disord 2013; 15:1.
- Goodwin GM, Consensus Group of the British Association for Psychopharmacology. Evidence-based guidelines for treating bipolar disorder: revised second edition--recommendations from the British Association for Psychopharmacology. J Psychopharmacol 2009; 23:346.
- Yatham LN, Kennedy SH, Schaffer A, et al. Canadian Network for Mood and Anxiety Treatments (CANMAT) and International Society for Bipolar Disorders (ISBD) collaborative update of CANMAT guidelines for the management of patients with bipolar disorder: update 2009. Bipolar Disord 2009; 11:225.
- Malhi GS, Adams D, Cahill CM, et al. The management of individuals with bipolar disorder: a review of the evidence and its integration into clinical practice. Drugs 2009; 69:2063.
- Goodwin GM, Bowden CL, Calabrese JR, et al. A pooled analysis of 2 placebo-controlled 18-month trials of lamotrigine and lithium maintenance in bipolar I disorder. J Clin Psychiatry 2004; 65:432.
- Sajatovic M, Gyulai L, Calabrese JR, et al. Maintenance treatment outcomes in older patients with bipolar I disorder. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 2005; 13:305.
- BALANCE investigators and collaborators, Geddes JR, Goodwin GM, et al. Lithium plus valproate combination therapy versus monotherapy for relapse prevention in bipolar I disorder (BALANCE): a randomised open-label trial. Lancet 2010; 375:385.
- Bipolar disorder: The management of bipolar disorder in adults, children and adolescents, in primary and secondary care. NICE clinical guideline 38, July, 2006. http://guidance.nice.org.uk/CG38 (Accessed on October 01, 2011).
- Ghaemi SN, Wingo AP, Filkowski MA, Baldessarini RJ. Long-term antidepressant treatment in bipolar disorder: meta-analyses of benefits and risks. Acta Psychiatr Scand 2008; 118:347.
- American Psychiatric Association. Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with bipolar disorder (revision). Am J Psychiatry 2002; 159:1.
- Samamé C, Martino DJ, Strejilevich SA. A quantitative review of neurocognition in euthymic late-life bipolar disorder. Bipolar Disord 2013; 15:633.
- Gerhard T, Devanand DP, Huang C, et al. Lithium treatment and risk for dementia in adults with bipolar disorder: population-based cohort study. Br J Psychiatry 2015; 207:46.
- Kessing LV, Søndergård L, Forman JL, Andersen PK. Lithium treatment and risk of dementia. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2008; 65:1331.
- Kessing LV, Forman JL, Andersen PK. Does lithium protect against dementia? Bipolar Disord 2010; 12:87.
- Forlenza OV, Diniz BS, Radanovic M, et al. Disease-modifying properties of long-term lithium treatment for amnestic mild cognitive impairment: randomised controlled trial. Br J Psychiatry 2011; 198:351.
- Sajatovic M, Kessing LV. Bipolar disorder in the elderly. In: Bipolar Disorder: Clinical and Neurobiological Foundations, Yatham LN, Maj M. (Eds), Wiley-Blackwell, West Sussex 2010. p.488.
- Sajatovic M, Blow FC, Kales HC, et al. Age comparison of treatment adherence with antipsychotic medications among individuals with bipolar disorder. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2007; 22:992.
- Young RC, Gyulai L, Mulsant BH, et al. Pharmacotherapy of bipolar disorder in old age: review and recommendations. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 2004; 12:342.
- American Psychiatric Association Practice Guideline for the Treatment of Patients with Bipolar Disorder, Second Edition, 2002. http://psychiatryonline.org/pb/assets/raw/sitewide/practice_guidelines/guidelines/bipolar.pdf (Accessed on January 16, 2017).
- Geriatric bipolar disorder
- - Evidence of efficacy
- - Following recovery from bipolar major depression
- - Treatment following remission with electroconvulsive therapy
- - Managing intolerable side effects
- - Cognitive impairment
- Adjunctive psychotherapy
- - Adherence
- Monitoring the patient
- Duration and discontinuation
- INFORMATION FOR PATIENTS
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS