Geriatric bipolar disorder: Acute treatment
- Martha Sajatovic, MD
Martha Sajatovic, MD
- Director of Geriatric Psychiatry
- Professor of Psychiatry
- Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
- Peijun Chen, MD, MPH, PhD
Peijun Chen, MD, MPH, PhD
- Associate Professor of Psychiatry
- Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
- Staff Geriatric Psychiatrist, Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center
- Section Editors
- Paul Keck, MD
Paul Keck, MD
- Section Editor — Bipolar Disorders
- Professor of Psychiatry
- University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
- Kenneth E Schmader, MD
Kenneth E Schmader, MD
- Editor in Chief — Geriatric Medicine
- Section Editor — Geriatrics
- Chief, Division of Geriatrics
- Duke University
- Director, Geriatric Research Education and Clinical Center
- Durham VA Medical Centers
The treatment of older bipolar patients differs from the treatment of younger patients . Up to 25 percent of all bipolar patients are elderly , and the absolute number of geriatric bipolar patients is expected to increase as the world’s population ages over the next several decades [3,4].
This topic reviews the acute treatment and prognosis of geriatric bipolar disorder. The epidemiology, pathogenesis, clinical features, assessment, diagnosis, general principles of treatment, and maintenance treatment of geriatric bipolar disorder are discussed separately, as are the epidemiology, clinical features, diagnosis, acute treatment, and maintenance treatment of bipolar disorder in mixed-age patients.To continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Sajatovic M, Chen P. Geriatric bipolar disorder. Psychiatr Clin North Am 2011; 34:319.
- Sajatovic M, Blow FC, Ignacio RV, Kales HC. Age-related modifiers of clinical presentation and health service use among veterans with bipolar disorder. Psychiatr Serv 2004; 55:1014.
- United Nations, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division, Population Estimates and Projections Section. http://esa.un.org/unpd/wpp/index.htm (Accessed on June 14, 2011).
- Jeste DV, Alexopoulos GS, Bartels SJ, et al. Consensus statement on the upcoming crisis in geriatric mental health: research agenda for the next 2 decades. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1999; 56:848.
- Young RC, Schulberg HC, Gildengers AG, et al. Conceptual and methodological issues in designing a randomized, controlled treatment trial for geriatric bipolar disorder: GERI-BD. Bipolar Disord 2010; 12:56.
- Sajatovic M, Strejilevich SA, Gildengers AG, et al. A report on older-age bipolar disorder from the International Society for Bipolar Disorders Task Force. Bipolar Disord 2015; 17:689.
- Depp CA, Jeste DV. Bipolar disorder in older adults: a critical review. Bipolar Disord 2004; 6:343.
- Prabhakar D, Balon R. Late-onset bipolar disorder: a case for careful appraisal. Psychiatry (Edgmont) 2010; 7:34.
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5), American Psychiatric Association, Arlington, VA 2013.
- American Psychiatric Association. Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with bipolar disorder (revision). Am J Psychiatry 2002; 159:1.
- Grunze H, Vieta E, Goodwin GM, et al. The World Federation of Societies of Biological Psychiatry (WFSBP) guidelines for the biological treatment of bipolar disorders: update 2009 on the treatment of acute mania. World J Biol Psychiatry 2009; 10:85.
- Yatham LN, Kennedy SH, O'Donovan C, et al. Canadian Network for Mood and Anxiety Treatments (CANMAT) guidelines for the management of patients with bipolar disorder: consensus and controversies. Bipolar Disord 2005; 7 Suppl 3:5.
- Scherk H, Pajonk FG, Leucht S. Second-generation antipsychotic agents in the treatment of acute mania: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2007; 64:442.
- Smith LA, Cornelius V, Warnock A, et al. Pharmacological interventions for acute bipolar mania: a systematic review of randomized placebo-controlled trials. Bipolar Disord 2007; 9:551.
- Yatham LN, Kennedy SH, Schaffer A, et al. Canadian Network for Mood and Anxiety Treatments (CANMAT) and International Society for Bipolar Disorders (ISBD) collaborative update of CANMAT guidelines for the management of patients with bipolar disorder: update 2009. Bipolar Disord 2009; 11:225.
- Cipriani A, Barbui C, Salanti G, et al. Comparative efficacy and acceptability of antimanic drugs in acute mania: a multiple-treatments meta-analysis. Lancet 2011; 378:1306.
- Al Jurdi RK, Marangell LB, Petersen NJ, et al. Prescription patterns of psychotropic medications in elderly compared with younger participants who achieved a "recovered" status in the systematic treatment enhancement program for bipolar disorder. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 2008; 16:922.
- Young RC, Gyulai L, Mulsant BH, et al. Pharmacotherapy of bipolar disorder in old age: review and recommendations. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 2004; 12:342.
- Gildengers AG, Mulsant BH, Begley AE, et al. A pilot study of standardized treatment in geriatric bipolar disorder. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 2005; 13:319.
- Lipscombe LL, Lévesque L, Gruneir A, et al. Antipsychotic drugs and hyperglycemia in older patients with diabetes. Arch Intern Med 2009; 169:1282.
- Sajatovic M, Calabrese JR, Mullen J. Quetiapine for the treatment of bipolar mania in older adults. Bipolar Disord 2008; 10:662.
- Beyer J, Siegal A, Kennedy J, et al. Olanzapine, divalproex, and placebo treatment: Non-head-to-head comparisons of older adult acute mania. Tenth Congress of the International Psychogeriatric Association, Nice, France, September 9-14, 2001.
- Sajatovic M. Treatment of bipolar disorder in older adults. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2002; 17:865.
- Labbate, LA, Fava, et al. Drugs for treatment of bipolar disorders. In: Handbook of Psychiatric Drug Therapy, 6th ed, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia 2010. p.110.
- Sajatovic M, Fenn H, Chen P, et al. Treatment considerations in elderly bipolar patients. Clinical Approaches in Bipolar Disorder 2007; 6:54.
- Dols A, Kessing LV, Strejilevich SA, et al. Do current national and international guidelines have specific recommendations for older adults with bipolar disorder? A brief report. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2016; 31:1295.
- Rej S, Beaulieu S, Segal M, et al. Lithium dosing and serum concentrations across the age spectrum: from early adulthood to the tenth decade of life. Drugs Aging 2014; 31:911.
- United States Food and Drug Administration, FDA Alert, 6/16/2008 http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/SafetyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm110212.htm (Accessed on August 17, 2011).
- Aziz R, Lorberg B, Tampi RR. Treatments for late-life bipolar disorder. Am J Geriatr Pharmacother 2006; 4:347.
- Tohen M, Jacobs TG, Grundy SL, et al. Efficacy of olanzapine in acute bipolar mania: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study. The Olanzipine HGGW Study Group. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2000; 57:841.
- Chen ST, Altshuler LL, Melnyk KA, et al. Efficacy of lithium vs. valproate in the treatment of mania in the elderly: a retrospective study. J Clin Psychiatry 1999; 60:181.
- Allen MH, Hirschfeld RM, Wozniak PJ, et al. Linear relationship of valproate serum concentration to response and optimal serum levels for acute mania. Am J Psychiatry 2006; 163:272.
- Sajatovic M, Kales HC. Diagnosis and management of bipolar disorder with comorbid anxiety in the elderly. J Clin Psychiatry 2006; 67 Suppl 1:21.
- Sajatovic M, Madhusoodanan S, Coconcea N. Managing bipolar disorder in the elderly: defining the role of the newer agents. Drugs Aging 2005; 22:39.
- Perlis RH, Welge JA, Vornik LA, et al. Atypical antipsychotics in the treatment of mania: a meta-analysis of randomized, placebo-controlled trials. J Clin Psychiatry 2006; 67:509.
- Smith LA, Cornelius V, Warnock A, et al. Acute bipolar mania: a systematic review and meta-analysis of co-therapy vs. monotherapy. Acta Psychiatr Scand 2007; 115:12.
- Maina G, Albert U, Salvi V, et al. Valproate or olanzapine add-on to lithium: an 8-week, randomized, open-label study in Italian patients with a manic relapse. J Affect Disord 2007; 99:247.
- Reischies FM, Hartikainen J, Berghöfer A. Initial lithium and valproate combination therapy in acute mania. Neuropsychobiology 2002; 46 Suppl 1:22.
- Chen P, Korobkova I, Busby K, Sajatovic M. Managing late-life bipolar disorder: An update. Aging health 2011; 7:557.
- Baruch Y, Tadger S, Plopski I, Barak Y. Asenapine for elderly bipolar manic patients. J Affect Disord 2013; 145:130.
- Sajatovic M, Dines P, Fuentes-Casiano E, et al. Asenapine in the treatment of older adults with bipolar disorder. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2015; 30:710.
- Barak Y, Finkelstein I, Pridan S. The geriatric mania asenapine study (GeMS). Arch Gerontol Geriatr 2016; 64:111.
- American Psychiatric Association Task Force on Electroconvulsive Therapy. The Practice of Electroconvulsive Therapy: Recommendations for Treatment, Training, and Privileging. American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC 2001.
- Wilkins KM, Ostroff R, Tampi RR. Efficacy of electroconvulsive therapy in the treatment of nondepressed psychiatric illness in elderly patients: a review of the literature. J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol 2008; 21:3.
- Kyomen HH. The use of levetiracetam to decrease mania in elderly bipolar patients. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 2006; 14:985.
- Shulman RW, Singh A, Shulman KI. Treatment of elderly institutionalized bipolar patients with clozapine. Psychopharmacol Bull 1997; 33:113.
- Sajatovic M, Paulsson B. Quetiapine for the treatment of depressive episodes in adults aged 55 to 65 years with bipolar disorder. March 1-4, 2007. American Association of Geriatric Psychiatry Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA.
- Sajatovic M, Forester BP, Tsai J, et al. Efficacy of Lurasidone in Adults Aged 55 Years and Older With Bipolar Depression: Post Hoc Analysis of 2 Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Studies. J Clin Psychiatry 2016; 77:e1324.
- Loebel A, Cucchiaro J, Silva R, et al. Lurasidone monotherapy in the treatment of bipolar I depression: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Am J Psychiatry 2014; 171:160.
- Sajatovic M, Gildengers A, Al Jurdi RK, et al. Multisite, open-label, prospective trial of lamotrigine for geriatric bipolar depression: a preliminary report. Bipolar Disord 2011; 13:294.
- Brown EB, McElroy SL, Keck PE Jr, et al. A 7-week, randomized, double-blind trial of olanzapine/fluoxetine combination versus lamotrigine in the treatment of bipolar I depression. J Clin Psychiatry 2006; 67:1025.
- Tohen M, Vieta E, Calabrese J, et al. Efficacy of olanzapine and olanzapine-fluoxetine combination in the treatment of bipolar I depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2003; 60:1079.
- Zornberg GL, Pope HG Jr. Treatment of depression in bipolar disorder: new directions for research. J Clin Psychopharmacol 1993; 13:397.
- Bond DJ, Lam RW, Yatham LN. Divalproex sodium versus placebo in the treatment of acute bipolar depression: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Affect Disord 2010; 124:228.
- Sajatovic M, Coconcea N, Ignacio RV, et al. Aripiprazole therapy in 20 older adults with bipolar disorder: a 12-week, open-label trial. J Clin Psychiatry 2008; 69:41.
- Thase ME, Jonas A, Khan A, et al. Aripiprazole monotherapy in nonpsychotic bipolar I depression: results of 2 randomized, placebo-controlled studies. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2008; 28:13.
- Sajatovic M, Blow FC, Ignacio RV, Kales HC. New-onset bipolar disorder in later life. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 2005; 13:282.
- Oostervink F, Boomsma MM, Nolen WA, EMBLEM Advisory Board. Bipolar disorder in the elderly; different effects of age and of age of onset. J Affect Disord 2009; 116:176.
- DEFINITION OF GERIATRIC BIPOLAR DISORDER
- General principles
- Mania and hypomania
- - First-line medications
- - Second-line medications
- - Refractory patients
- Bipolar major depression
- - First-line treatment
- - Treatment resistance
- - Refractory major depression
- RECOVERY FROM MOOD EPISODES (PROGNOSIS)
- INFORMATION FOR PATIENTS
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS