Female pattern hair loss (androgenetic alopecia in women): Treatment and prognosis
- Amy McMichael, MD
Amy McMichael, MD
- Professor of Dermatology
- Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center
Female pattern hair loss (FPHL, female pattern alopecia, androgenetic alopecia in women) is a common form of nonscarring hair loss that most frequently occurs in adult women and primarily involves the frontal scalp and vertex of the scalp. Untreated, FPHL results in a slow, progressive decline in the density of scalp hair.
Multiple therapies have been used for the management of FPHL. Topical minoxidil is considered the first-line treatment. Data are limited on the efficacy of other agents, such as spironolactone, cyproterone acetate, finasteride, and flutamide. Hair transplantation surgery is an option for women who have inadequate responses to medical therapy.
The treatment and prognosis of FPHL will be reviewed here. The pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis of FPHL and the diagnosis and management of androgenetic alopecia in men (male pattern hair loss) are discussed separately. (See "Female pattern hair loss (androgenetic alopecia in women): Pathogenesis, clinical features, and diagnosis" and "Androgenetic alopecia in men: Pathogenesis, clinical features, and diagnosis" and "Treatment of androgenetic alopecia in men".)
In the absence of treatment, female pattern hair loss (FPHL) leads to progressive hair loss in affected areas, though not to complete baldness. Women may find the loss of hair distressing, and many women who present for the evaluation of FPHL desire treatment. (See "Female pattern hair loss (androgenetic alopecia in women): Pathogenesis, clinical features, and diagnosis", section on 'Psychosocial dysfunction'.)
As in the treatment of many other forms of hair loss, it is essential to thoroughly inform the patient of the following:
- Messenger AG, Rundegren J. Minoxidil: mechanisms of action on hair growth. Br J Dermatol 2004; 150:186.
- van Zuuren EJ, Fedorowicz Z, Carter B, et al. Interventions for female pattern hair loss. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012; :CD007628.
- Lucky AW, Piacquadio DJ, Ditre CM, et al. A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of 5% and 2% topical minoxidil solutions in the treatment of female pattern hair loss. J Am Acad Dermatol 2004; 50:541.
- Blume-Peytavi U, Hillmann K, Dietz E, et al. A randomized, single-blind trial of 5% minoxidil foam once daily versus 2% minoxidil solution twice daily in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia in women. J Am Acad Dermatol 2011; 65:1126.
- Olsen EA, Messenger AG, Shapiro J, et al. Evaluation and treatment of male and female pattern hair loss. J Am Acad Dermatol 2005; 52:301.
- Blumeyer A, Tosti A, Messenger A, et al. Evidence-based (S3) guideline for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia in women and in men. J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 2011; 9 Suppl 6:S1.
- Sinclair R, Wewerinke M, Jolley D. Treatment of female pattern hair loss with oral antiandrogens. Br J Dermatol 2005; 152:466.
- Iorizzo M, Vincenzi C, Voudouris S, et al. Finasteride treatment of female pattern hair loss. Arch Dermatol 2006; 142:298.
- Yeon JH, Jung JY, Choi JW, et al. 5 mg/day finasteride treatment for normoandrogenic Asian women with female pattern hair loss. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2011; 25:211.
- Trüeb RM, Swiss Trichology Study Group. Finasteride treatment of patterned hair loss in normoandrogenic postmenopausal women. Dermatology 2004; 209:202.
- Tosti A, Camacho-Martinez F, Dawber R. Management of androgenetic alopecia. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 1999; 12:205.
- Rathnayake D, Sinclair R. Innovative use of spironolactone as an antiandrogen in the treatment of female pattern hair loss. Dermatol Clin 2010; 28:611.
- Sinclair R, Patel M, Dawson TL Jr, et al. Hair loss in women: medical and cosmetic approaches to increase scalp hair fullness. Br J Dermatol 2011; 165 Suppl 3:12.
- Burke BM, Cunliffe WJ. Oral spironolactone therapy for female patients with acne, hirsutism or androgenic alopecia. Br J Dermatol 1985; 112:124.
- Yazdabadi A, Green J, Sinclair R. Successful treatment of female-pattern hair loss with spironolactone in a 9-year-old girl. Australas J Dermatol 2009; 50:113.
- Hoedemaker C, van Egmond S, Sinclair R. Treatment of female pattern hair loss with a combination of spironolactone and minoxidil. Australas J Dermatol 2007; 48:43.
- Adamopoulos DA, Karamertzanis M, Nicopoulou S, Gregoriou A. Beneficial effect of spironolactone on androgenic alopecia. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 1997; 47:759.
- Camacho-Martínez FM. Hair loss in women. Semin Cutan Med Surg 2009; 28:19.
- Carmina E, Lobo RA. Treatment of hyperandrogenic alopecia in women. Fertil Steril 2003; 79:91.
- Vexiau P, Chaspoux C, Boudou P, et al. Effects of minoxidil 2% vs. cyproterone acetate treatment on female androgenetic alopecia: a controlled, 12-month randomized trial. Br J Dermatol 2002; 146:992.
- Peereboom-Wynia JD, van der Willigen AH, van Joost T, Stolz E. The effect of cyproterone acetate on hair roots and hair shaft diameter in androgenetic alopecia in females. Acta Derm Venereol 1989; 69:395.
- Rushton DH, Ramsay ID. The importance of adequate serum ferritin levels during oral cyproterone acetate and ethinyl oestradiol treatment of diffuse androgen-dependent alopecia in women. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 1992; 36:421.
- Otberg N, Shapiro J. Hair growth disorders. In: Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine, 8th ed, Goldsmith LA, Katz SI, Gilchrest BA, et al (Eds), McGraw-Hill, New York 2012. Vol 1, p.979.
- Stout SM, Stumpf JL. Finasteride treatment of hair loss in women. Ann Pharmacother 2010; 44:1090.
- Price VH, Roberts JL, Hordinsky M, et al. Lack of efficacy of finasteride in postmenopausal women with androgenetic alopecia. J Am Acad Dermatol 2000; 43:768.
- Shum KW, Cullen DR, Messenger AG. Hair loss in women with hyperandrogenism: four cases responding to finasteride. J Am Acad Dermatol 2002; 47:733.
- Olszewska M, Rudnicka L. Effective treatment of female androgenic alopecia with dutasteride. J Drugs Dermatol 2005; 4:637.
- Scheinfeld N. A review of hormonal therapy for female pattern (androgenic) alopecia. Dermatol Online J 2008; 14:1.
- Cusan L, Dupont A, Gomez JL, et al. Comparison of flutamide and spironolactone in the treatment of hirsutism: a randomized controlled trial. Fertil Steril 1994; 61:281.
- Paradisi R, Porcu E, Fabbri R, et al. Prospective cohort study on the effects and tolerability of flutamide in patients with female pattern hair loss. Ann Pharmacother 2011; 45:469.
- Yazdabadi A, Sinclair R. Treatment of female pattern hair loss with the androgen receptor antagonist flutamide. Australas J Dermatol 2011; 52:132.
- Epstein JS. The treatment of female pattern hair loss and other applications of surgical hair restoration in women. Facial Plast Surg Clin North Am 2004; 12:241.
- Unger WP, Unger RH. Hair transplanting: an important but often forgotten treatment for female pattern hair loss. J Am Acad Dermatol 2003; 49:853.
- Avram MR. Hair transplantation for men and women. Semin Cutan Med Surg 2006; 25:60.
- Callender VD, McMichael AJ, Cohen GF. Medical and surgical therapies for alopecias in black women. Dermatol Ther 2004; 17:164.
- Jimenez JJ, Wikramanayake TC, Bergfeld W, et al. Efficacy and safety of a low-level laser device in the treatment of male and female pattern hair loss: a multicenter, randomized, sham device-controlled, double-blind study. Am J Clin Dermatol 2014; 15:115.
- Leavitt M, Charles G, Heyman E, Michaels D. HairMax LaserComb laser phototherapy device in the treatment of male androgenetic alopecia: A randomized, double-blind, sham device-controlled, multicentre trial. Clin Drug Investig 2009; 29:283.
- Blume-Peytavi U, Lönnfors S, Hillmann K, Garcia Bartels N. A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled pilot study to assess the efficacy of a 24-week topical treatment by latanoprost 0.1% on hair growth and pigmentation in healthy volunteers with androgenetic alopecia. J Am Acad Dermatol 2012; 66:794.
- Emer JJ, Stevenson ML, Markowitz O. Novel treatment of female-pattern androgenetic alopecia with injected bimatoprost 0.03% solution. J Drugs Dermatol 2011; 10:795.
- Mysore V. Mesotherapy in Management of Hairloss - Is it of Any Use? Int J Trichology 2010; 2:45.