Failure to thrive in elderly adults: Evaluation
- Kathryn Agarwal, MD
Kathryn Agarwal, MD
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Section Editors
- Kenneth E Schmader, MD
Kenneth E Schmader, MD
- Editor in Chief — Geriatric Medicine
- Section Editor — Geriatrics
- Chief, Division of Geriatrics
- Duke University
- Director, Geriatric Research Education and Clinical Center
- Durham VA Medical Centers
- Eduardo Bruera, MD
Eduardo Bruera, MD
- Section Editor — Non Pain Symptoms: Assessment and Management
- Professor of Oncology
- University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center at Houston
The National Institute of Aging describes failure to thrive (FTT) as a "syndrome of weight loss, decreased appetite and poor nutrition, and inactivity, often accompanied by dehydration, depressive symptoms, impaired immune function, and low cholesterol" . Many of these features of FTT are actually defined as features of frailty including weight loss, malnutrition, and inactivity. In geriatric practice, FTT describes a syndrome of global decline that occurs in older adults as a worsening of physical frailty that is frequently compounded by cognitive impairment and/or functional disability. FTT describes a point further along a geriatric functional continuum that is closer to full dependence and death, with "frailty as a mid-point between independence and pre-death" .
The term FTT has long been used in pediatrics to describe infants who are unable to gain weight and have physical and cognitive developmental impairments and depressive symptoms . Pediatric patients with FTT have not achieved their expected functional level, while elders with FTT are unable to maintain their functional status ; the symptom complex is similar at both ends of the age spectrum.
FTT describes the late stages of decline and may represent a final common pathway toward death. The goal in evaluation and management of FTT is to identify contributing factors that can be modified or reversed, such as assistance with meals to improve nutrition or treatment of infection that may lead to premature death, while keeping in mind the patient and family’s goals and wishes. Some authors cite concerns that the terminology "failure to thrive" impedes appropriate patient evaluation and management , and its use has fallen out of favor. However, we find it a useful term to describe a clinical syndrome encompassing frailty, disability, and neuropsychiatric impairment.
Due to the difficulty in precisely defining FTT as a syndrome in clinical practice, data are limited regarding its incidence, epidemiology, and outcomes. The individual components associated with FTT, however, are clearly predictive of mortality.
This topic will discuss an overview of the evaluation of patients with suspected FTT. Management of older patients with FTT is discussed separately (see "Failure to thrive in elderly adults: Management"), as are discussions cited below on individual components of FTT.To continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Sarkisian CA, Lachs MS. "Failure to thrive" in older adults. Ann Intern Med 1996; 124:1072.
- Hamerman D. Toward an understanding of frailty. Ann Intern Med 1999; 130:945.
- Braun JV, Wykle MH, Cowling WR 3rd. Failure to thrive in older persons: a concept derived. Gerontologist 1988; 28:809.
- Fried LP, Walston J. Frailty and failure to thrive. In: Principles of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, 5th ed, Hazzard W, Blass J, Halter J, et al (Eds), McGraw-Hill Professional, 2003. p.1487.
- Fried LP, Ferrucci L, Darer J, et al. Untangling the concepts of disability, frailty, and comorbidity: implications for improved targeting and care. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2004; 59:255.
- Fried LP, Tangen CM, Walston J, et al. Frailty in older adults: evidence for a phenotype. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2001; 56:M146.
- Ensrud KE, Ewing SK, Taylor BC, et al. Comparison of 2 frailty indexes for prediction of falls, disability, fractures, and death in older women. Arch Intern Med 2008; 168:382.
- Ensrud KE, Ewing SK, Cawthon PM, et al. A comparison of frailty indexes for the prediction of falls, disability, fractures, and mortality in older men. J Am Geriatr Soc 2009; 57:492.
- Morley JE, Malmstrom TK, Miller DK. A simple frailty questionnaire (FRAIL) predicts outcomes in middle aged African Americans. J Nutr Health Aging 2012; 16:601.
- Rehman HU. Involuntary Weight Loss in the Elderly. Clin Geriatr 2005; 13:37.
- Ritchie CS, Locher JL, Roth DL, et al. Unintentional weight loss predicts decline in activities of daily living function and life-space mobility over 4 years among community-dwelling older adults. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2008; 63:67.
- Landi F, Zuccalà G, Gambassi G, et al. Body mass index and mortality among older people living in the community. J Am Geriatr Soc 1999; 47:1072.
- Calle EE, Thun MJ, Petrelli JM, et al. Body-mass index and mortality in a prospective cohort of U.S. adults. N Engl J Med 1999; 341:1097.
- Fine JT, Colditz GA, Coakley EH, et al. A prospective study of weight change and health-related quality of life in women. JAMA 1999; 282:2136.
- Launer LJ, Harris T, Rumpel C, Madans J. Body mass index, weight change, and risk of mobility disability in middle-aged and older women. The epidemiologic follow-up study of NHANES I. JAMA 1994; 271:1093.
- Blaum CS, Xue QL, Michelon E, et al. The association between obesity and the frailty syndrome in older women: the Women's Health and Aging Studies. J Am Geriatr Soc 2005; 53:927.
- Fabiny AR, Kiel DP. Assessing and treating weight loss in nursing home patients. Clin Geriatr Med 1997; 13:737.
- Bouras EP, Lange SM, Scolapio JS. Rational approach to patients with unintentional weight loss. Mayo Clin Proc 2001; 76:923.
- Alibhai SM, Greenwood C, Payette H. An approach to the management of unintentional weight loss in elderly people. CMAJ 2005; 172:773.
- Berkman B, Foster LW, Campion E. Failure to thrive: paradigm for the frail elder. Gerontologist 1989; 29:654.
- Hildebrand JK, Joos SK, Lee MA. Use of the diagnosis "failure to thrive" in older veterans. J Am Geriatr Soc 1997; 45:1113.
- Dharmarajan TS, Akula M, Kuppachi S, Norkus EP. Vitamin D deficiency in community older adults with falls of gait imbalance: an under-recognized problem in the inner city. J Nutr Elder 2005; 25:7.
- Bischoff-Ferrari HA, Dawson-Hughes B, Willett WC, et al. Effect of Vitamin D on falls: a meta-analysis. JAMA 2004; 291:1999.
- Visser M, Deeg DJ, Puts MT, et al. Low serum concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D in older persons and the risk of nursing home admission. Am J Clin Nutr 2006; 84:616.
- Gill TM, Guo Z, Allore HG. Subtypes of disability in older persons over the course of nearly 8 years. J Am Geriatr Soc 2008; 56:436.
- Alzheimer's Association. An overview of Alzheimer's disease; general statistics/demographics. Available at: www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_alzheimer_statistics.asp (Accessed on August 20, 2007).
- White H, Pieper C, Schmader K, Fillenbaum G. Weight change in Alzheimer's disease. J Am Geriatr Soc 1996; 44:265.
- NIH consensus conference. Diagnosis and treatment of depression in late life. JAMA 1992; 268:1018.
- Wilson MM, Thomas DR, Rubenstein LZ, et al. Appetite assessment: simple appetite questionnaire predicts weight loss in community-dwelling adults and nursing home residents. Am J Clin Nutr 2005; 82:1074.
- Yesavage JA, Sheikh JI. Geriatric Depression Scale (GDS) recent evidence and development of a shorter violence. Clin Gerontol 1986; 5:165.
- Katz IR, DiFilippo S. Neuropsychiatric aspects of failure to thrive in late life. Clin Geriatr Med 1997; 13:623.
- Andrew MK, Mitnitski AB, Rockwood K. Social vulnerability, frailty and mortality in elderly people. PLoS One 2008; 3:e2232.
- Pillemer K, Finkelhor D. The prevalence of elder abuse: a random sample survey. Gerontologist 1988; 28:51.
- Lachs MS, Pillemer K. Abuse and neglect of elderly persons. N Engl J Med 1995; 332:437.
- Podsiadlo D, Richardson S. The timed "Up & Go": a test of basic functional mobility for frail elderly persons. J Am Geriatr Soc 1991; 39:142.
- Robertson RG, Montagnini M. Geriatric failure to thrive. Am Fam Physician 2004; 70:343.
- Verdery RB. Clinical evaluation of failure to thrive in older people. Clin Geriatr Med 1997; 13:769.