Etiologies of nasal symptoms: An overview
- Marilene B Wang, MD
Marilene B Wang, MD
- Professor, Division of Head and Neck Surgery
- David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Nasal obstruction, congestion, and other nasal symptoms are common complaints. There are numerous causes for nasal obstruction because of the complex anatomy of the nose and paranasal sinuses and the physiology of normal airflow through the nose.
This topic provides an overview of the basic anatomy of the nose and paranasal sinuses and reviews structural problems that result in nasal symptoms. Inflammatory conditions causing nasal symptoms and medications and systemic medical problems that cause rhinitis are reviewed separately. (See "An overview of rhinitis" and "Chronic nonallergic rhinitis" and "Chronic rhinosinusitis: Clinical manifestations, pathophysiology, and diagnosis".)
NASAL ANATOMY AND FUNCTION
A basic understanding of the anatomy of the nose and paranasal sinuses is essential for the clinician evaluating nasal symptoms.
Nose — The external nose is a pyramidal structure composed of skin, dorsal nasal bones, and upper and lower lateral cartilages (figure 1). In addition, the medial and lateral crura and columella contribute to the tip structure.
The internal anatomy of the nose includes the following important structures:
- Baraniuk JN, Kim D. Nasonasal reflexes, the nasal cycle, and sneeze. Curr Allergy Asthma Rep 2007; 7:105.
- Vercruysse JP, Wojciechowski M, Koninckx M, et al. Congenital nasal pyriform aperture stenosis: a rare cause of neonatal nasal obstruction. J Pediatr Surg 2006; 41:e5.
- Samadi DS, Shah UK, Handler SD. Choanal atresia: a twenty-year review of medical comorbidities and surgical outcomes. Laryngoscope 2003; 113:254.
- Higo R, Matsumoto Y, Ichimura K, Kaga K. Foreign bodies in the aerodigestive tract in pediatric patients. Auris Nasus Larynx 2003; 30:397.
- Botma M, Bader R, Kubba H. 'A parent's kiss': evaluating an unusual method for removing nasal foreign bodies in children. J Laryngol Otol 2000; 114:598.
- Trimarchi M, Nicolai P, Lombardi D, et al. Sinonasal osteocartilaginous necrosis in cocaine abusers: experience in 25 patients. Am J Rhinol 2003; 17:33.
- Willkens RF, Roth GJ, Novak A, Walike JW. Perforation of nasal septum in rheumatic diseases. Arthritis Rheum 1976; 19:119.
- Cannady SB, Batra PS, Koening C, et al. Sinonasal Wegener granulomatosis: a single-institution experience with 120 cases. Laryngoscope 2009; 119:757.
- Mailliez A, Baldini C, Van JT, et al. Nasal septum perforation: a side effect of bevacizumab chemotherapy in breast cancer patients. Br J Cancer 2010; 103:772.
- Brahn E, Pegues DA, Yao Q, Craft N. Mucocutaneous leishmaniasis masquerading as Wegener granulomatosis. J Clin Rheumatol 2010; 16:125.
- Kameswaran M. Fibre-optic endoscopy in atrophic rhinitis. J Laryngol Otol 1991; 105:1014.
- Lanier B, Kai G, Marple B, Wall GM. Pathophysiology and progression of nasal septal perforation. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2007; 99:473.
- Gaafar HA, Gaafar AH, Nour YA. Rhinoscleroma: an updated experience through the last 10 years. Acta Otolaryngol 2011; 131:440.
- Aozasa K, Zaki MA. Epidemiology and pathogenesis of nasal NK/T-cell lymphoma: a mini-review. ScientificWorldJournal 2011; 11:422.
- Parker NP, Pearlman AN, Conley DB, et al. The dilemma of midline destructive lesions: a case series and diagnostic review. Am J Otolaryngol 2010; 31:104.
- Rodrigues CD, Freire GF, Silva LB, et al. Prevalence and risk factors of mucous retention cysts in a Brazilian population. Dentomaxillofac Radiol 2009; 38:480.
- Bósio JA, Tanaka O, Rovigatti E, de Gruner SK. The incidence of maxillary sinus retention cysts in orthodontic patients. World J Orthod 2009; 10:e7.
- Moon IJ, Lee JE, Kim ST, et al. Characteristics and risk factors of mucosal cysts in the paranasal sinuses. Rhinology 2011; 49:309.
- Moon IJ, Kim SW, Han DH, et al. Mucosal cysts in the paranasal sinuses: long-term follow-up and clinical implications. Am J Rhinol Allergy 2011; 25:98.
- Casamassimo PS, Lilly GE. Mucosal cysts of the maxillary sinus: a clinical and radiographic study. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1980; 50:282.
- Wang JH, Jang YJ, Lee BJ. Natural course of retention cysts of the maxillary sinus: long-term follow-up results. Laryngoscope 2007; 117:341.
- Albu S. Symptomatic maxillary sinus retention cysts: should they be removed? Laryngoscope 2010; 120:1904.
- Gullane PJ, Davidson J, O'Dwyer T, Forte V. Juvenile angiofibroma: a review of the literature and a case series report. Laryngoscope 1992; 102:928.
- Cancer incidence in five continents. Volume VIII. IARC Sci Publ 2002; :1.
- Osguthorpe JD. Sinus neoplasia. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1994; 120:19.
- Cunningham MJ, Lin DT, Curry WT Jr, et al. Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Case 20-2007. An 11-year-old boy with a calcified mass in the nose. N Engl J Med 2007; 356:2721.
- Wei WI, Sham JS. Nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Lancet 2005; 365:2041.
- NASAL ANATOMY AND FUNCTION
- Paranasal sinuses
- Ostio-meatal complex
- NORMAL AIRFLOW
- CONGENITAL ABNORMALITIES
- ACQUIRED ABNORMALITIES
- Enlarged adenoids
- Foreign bodies
- Disorders affecting the septum
- Nasal vestibulitis
- Chronic nasal sores
- Abnormalities of the nasal valve
- Nasal polyps
- - Nasal cavity
- - Paranasal sinuses
- - Specific malignancies
- INFORMATION FOR PATIENTS