ERCP in patients with Roux-en-Y anatomy
- Christopher S Huang, MD
Christopher S Huang, MD
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Boston University School of Medicine
Performing endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) in patients with Roux-en-Y anatomy poses a major challenge to gastrointestinal endoscopists. In the current era of the obesity epidemic, this situation is encountered with increasing frequency due to the popularity of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) surgery (figure 1) and the high prevalence of gallstone disease in these patients [1-3]. (See "Bariatric surgical operations for the management of severe obesity: Descriptions", section on 'Roux-en-Y gastric bypass'.)
Roux-en-Y anatomy may also result from:
●Gastric resection surgery (figure 2 and figure 3) (see "Partial gastrectomy and gastrointestinal reconstruction" and "Total gastrectomy and gastrointestinal reconstruction")
●Pancreaticoduodenectomy (figure 4 and figure 5 and figure 6) (see "Surgical resection of lesions of the head of the pancreas" and "Surgical resection of lesions of the body and tail of the pancreas")
●Liver transplantation (see "Living donor liver transplantation", section on 'Surgical techniques and recipient outcomes')
- Nguyen NT, Root J, Zainabadi K, et al. Accelerated growth of bariatric surgery with the introduction of minimally invasive surgery. Arch Surg 2005; 140:1198.
- Pories WJ. Bariatric surgery: risks and rewards. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2008; 93:S89.
- Shiffman ML, Sugerman HJ, Kellum JH, et al. Gallstones in patients with morbid obesity. Relationship to body weight, weight loss and gallbladder bile cholesterol solubility. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1993; 17:153.
- Lopes TL, Wilcox CM. Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography in patients with Roux-en-Y anatomy. Gastroenterol Clin North Am 2010; 39:99.
- Hintze RE, Adler A, Veltzke W, Abou-Rebyeh H. Endoscopic access to the papilla of Vater for endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography in patients with billroth II or Roux-en-Y gastrojejunostomy. Endoscopy 1997; 29:69.
- Elton E, Hanson BL, Qaseem T, Howell DA. Diagnostic and therapeutic ERCP using an enteroscope and a pediatric colonoscope in long-limb surgical bypass patients. Gastrointest Endosc 1998; 47:62.
- Wright BE, Cass OW, Freeman ML. ERCP in patients with long-limb Roux-en-Y gastrojejunostomy and intact papilla. Gastrointest Endosc 2002; 56:225.
- Aabakken L, Bretthauer M, Line PD. Double-balloon enteroscopy for endoscopic retrograde cholangiography in patients with a Roux-en-Y anastomosis. Endoscopy 2007; 39:1068.
- Emmett DS, Mallat DB. Double-balloon ERCP in patients who have undergone Roux-en-Y surgery: a case series. Gastrointest Endosc 2007; 66:1038.
- Itoi T, Ishii K, Sofuni A, et al. Long- and short-type double-balloon enteroscopy-assisted therapeutic ERCP for intact papilla in patients with a Roux-en-Y anastomosis. Surg Endosc 2011; 25:713.
- Lopes TL, Baron TH. Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography in patients with Roux-en-Y anatomy. J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci 2011; 18:332.
- Mönkemüller K, Fry LC, Bellutti M, et al. ERCP with the double balloon enteroscope in patients with Roux-en-Y anastomosis. Surg Endosc 2009; 23:1961.
- Moreels TG, Hubens GJ, Ysebaert DK, et al. Diagnostic and therapeutic double-balloon enteroscopy after small bowel Roux-en-Y reconstructive surgery. Digestion 2009; 80:141.
- Parlak E, Ciçek B, Dişibeyaz S, et al. Endoscopic retrograde cholangiography by double balloon enteroscopy in patients with Roux-en-Y hepaticojejunostomy. Surg Endosc 2010; 24:466.
- Shimatani M, Matsushita M, Takaoka M, et al. Effective "short" double-balloon enteroscope for diagnostic and therapeutic ERCP in patients with altered gastrointestinal anatomy: a large case series. Endoscopy 2009; 41:849.
- Itoi T, Ishii K, Sofuni A, et al. Single-balloon enteroscopy-assisted ERCP in patients with Billroth II gastrectomy or Roux-en-Y anastomosis (with video). Am J Gastroenterol 2010; 105:93.
- Dellon ES, Kohn GP, Morgan DR, Grimm IS. Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography with single-balloon enteroscopy is feasible in patients with a prior Roux-en-Y anastomosis. Dig Dis Sci 2009; 54:1798.
- Saleem A, Baron TH, Gostout CJ, et al. Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography using a single-balloon enteroscope in patients with altered Roux-en-Y anatomy. Endoscopy 2010; 42:656.
- Wang AY, Sauer BG, Behm BW, et al. Single-balloon enteroscopy effectively enables diagnostic and therapeutic retrograde cholangiography in patients with surgically altered anatomy. Gastrointest Endosc 2010; 71:641.
- Neumann H, Fry LC, Meyer F, et al. Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography using the single balloon enteroscope technique in patients with Roux-en-Y anastomosis. Digestion 2009; 80:52.
- Azeem N, Tabibian JH, Baron TH, et al. Use of a single-balloon enteroscope compared with variable-stiffness colonoscopes for endoscopic retrograde cholangiography in liver transplant patients with Roux-en-Y biliary anastomosis. Gastrointest Endosc 2013; 77:568.
- Kogure H, Watabe H, Yamada A, et al. Spiral enteroscopy for therapeutic ERCP in patients with surgically altered anatomy: actual technique and review of the literature. J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci 2011; 18:375.
- et al. ERCP using spiral enteroscopy in patients with altered gastrointestinal anatomy. Am J Gastroenterol 2009; 104:S384.
- Shah RJ, Smolkin M, Yen R, et al. A multicenter, U.S. experience of single-balloon, double-balloon, and rotational overtube-assisted enteroscopy ERCP in patients with surgically altered pancreaticobiliary anatomy (with video). Gastrointest Endosc 2013; 77:593.
- Hegde S, Downey S, Iffrig K. Overtube-assisted ERCP in patients with surgically altered anatomy: a single center one-year experience. Gastrointest Endosc 2009; 69:AB193.
- Kerstetter D, Akerman P. Spiral enteroscopy for therapeutic ERCP in patients with roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Am J Gastroenterol 2009; 104:S519.
- Wagh MS, Draganov PV. Prospective evaluation of spiral overtube-assisted ERCP in patients with surgically altered anatomy. Gastrointest Endosc 2012; 76:439.
- Lennon AM, Kapoor S, Khashab M, et al. Spiral assisted ERCP is equivalent to single balloon assisted ERCP in patients with Roux-en-Y anatomy. Dig Dis Sci 2012; 57:1391.
- Baron TH, Vickers SM. Surgical gastrostomy placement as access for diagnostic and therapeutic ERCP. Gastrointest Endosc 1998; 48:640.
- Baron TH, Chahal P, Ferreira LE. ERCP via mature feeding jejunostomy tube tract in a patient with Roux-en-Y anatomy (with video). Gastrointest Endosc 2008; 68:189.
- Gutierrez JM, Lederer H, Krook JC, et al. Surgical gastrostomy for pancreatobiliary and duodenal access following Roux en Y gastric bypass. J Gastrointest Surg 2009; 13:2170.
- Matlock J, Ikramuddin S, Lederer H, et al. Bypassing the bypass: ERCP via gastrostomy after bariatric surgery. Gastrointest Endosc 2005; 61:AB98.
- Pimentel RR, Mehran A, Szomstein S, Rosenthal R. Laparoscopy-assisted transgastrostomy ERCP after bariatric surgery: case report of a novel approach. Gastrointest Endosc 2004; 59:325.
- Law R, Wong Kee Song LM, Petersen BT, Baron TH. Single-session ERCP in patients with previous Roux-en-Y gastric bypass using percutaneous-assisted transprosthetic endoscopic therapy: a case series. Endoscopy 2013; 45:671.
- Ceppa FA, Gagné DJ, Papasavas PK, Caushaj PF. Laparoscopic transgastric endoscopy after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2007; 3:21.
- Lopes TL, Clements RH, Wilcox CM. Laparoscopy-assisted ERCP: experience of a high-volume bariatric surgery center (with video). Gastrointest Endosc 2009; 70:1254.
- Lopes TL, Clements RH, Wilcox CM. Laparoscopy-assisted transjejunal ERCP in a patient with Roux-en-Y reconstruction following partial gastrectomy. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 2010; 20:55.
- Nguyen NT, Hinojosa MW, Slone J, et al. Laparoscopic transgastric access to the biliary tree after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Obes Surg 2007; 17:416.
- Peters M, Papasavas PK, Caushaj PF, et al. Laparoscopic transgastric endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography for benign common bile duct stricture after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Surg Endosc 2002; 16:1106.
- Roberts KE, Panait L, Duffy AJ, et al. Laparoscopic-assisted transgastric endoscopy: current indications and future implications. JSLS 2008; 12:30.
- Schreiner MA, Chang L, Gluck M, et al. Laparoscopy-assisted versus balloon enteroscopy-assisted ERCP in bariatric post-Roux-en-Y gastric bypass patients. Gastrointest Endosc 2012; 75:748.
- GENERAL CONSIDERATIONS
- Choosing the best approach
- - Native papilla
- - Bilioenteric or pancreatoenteric anastomosis
- TRANSORAL APPROACHES
- ERCP using standard duodenoscope
- ERCP using an enteroscope or pediatric colonoscope
- ERCP using deep enteroscopy techniques
- - Double balloon enteroscope-assisted ERCP
- - Single balloon enteroscope-assisted ERCP
- - Spiral enteroscopy-assisted ERCP
- SURGICAL APPROACHES
- ERCP through a gastrostomy or jejunostomy tract
- Laparoscopy-assisted ERCP
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS