Endoscopic methods for the diagnosis of pancreatobiliary neoplasms
- Isaac Raijman, MD
Isaac Raijman, MD
- Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine
- Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
- Digestive Associates of Houston, PA
The diagnosis of biliary neoplasms is usually accomplished through a combination of imaging
modalities and tissue sampling. Optimal methods to diagnose these tumors depend upon the clinical setting, the characteristics of the individual tests, and the available resources.
This topic review will focus primarily on the accuracy of endoscopic methods to diagnose biliary neoplasms. General discussions on the diagnosis of the individual tumors are presented separately on the corresponding topic reviews.
ENDOSCOPIC RETROGRADE CHOLANGIOPANCREATOGRAPHY
Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) permits the visualization of the biliary neoplasms while providing the opportunity to obtain tissue samples and to perform therapeutic maneuvers (such as biliary decompression) when necessary. Thus, it continues to have a central role in the diagnosis and management of biliary neoplasms.
Radiographic appearance — Cholangiographic findings during ERCP can help distinguish benign from malignant neoplasms. Biliary neoplasms typically appear as a stricture during ERCP. However, strictures caused by benign processes (such as pancreatitis) can have the appearance of malignancies and vice versa. In addition, a neoplasm can develop in a long-standing benign stricture and its recognition may be difficult, such as in patients with primary sclerosing cholangitis and chronic pancreatitis. Some of the characteristics of the stricture suggestive of malignancy include a length of more than 10 mm, a ragged contour, and the presence of a fixed filling defect and/or an abrupt transition from relatively normal to the stricture, so called shouldering, typically located above the stricture.
- Kurzawinski TR, Deery A, Dooley JS, et al. A prospective study of biliary cytology in 100 patients with bile duct strictures. Hepatology 1993; 18:1399.
- Schöfl R. Diagnostic endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography. Endoscopy 2001; 33:147.
- Trent V, Khurana KK, Pisharodi LR. Diagnostic accuracy and clinical utility of endoscopic bile duct brushing in the evaluation of biliary strictures. Arch Pathol Lab Med 1999; 123:712.
- Lee JG, Leung JW, Baillie J, et al. Benign, dysplastic, or malignant--making sense of endoscopic bile duct brush cytology: results in 149 consecutive patients. Am J Gastroenterol 1995; 90:722.
- Logrono R, Kurtycz DF, Molina CP, et al. Analysis of false-negative diagnoses on endoscopic brush cytology of biliary and pancreatic duct strictures: the experience at 2 university hospitals. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2000; 124:387.
- Rumalla A, Baron TH, Leontovich O, et al. Improved diagnostic yield of endoscopic biliary brush cytology by digital image analysis. Mayo Clin Proc 2001; 76:29.
- Pugliese V, Antonelli G, Vincenti M, Gatteschi B. Endoductal tissue sampling of biliary strictures through endoscopic retrograde cholangiopan creatography (ERCP). Tumori 1997; 83:698.
- Schoefl R, Haefner M, Wrba F, et al. Forceps biopsy and brush cytology during endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography for the diagnosis of biliary stenoses. Scand J Gastroenterol 1997; 32:363.
- Parasher VK, Huibregtse K. Endoscopic retrograde wire-guided cytology of malignant biliary strictures using a novel scraping brush. Gastrointest Endosc 1998; 48:288.
- Fogel EL, Sherman S. How to improve the accuracy of diagnosis of malignant biliary strictures. Endoscopy 1999; 31:758.
- Foutch PG. Diagnosis of cancer by cytologic methods performed during ERCP. Gastrointest Endosc 1994; 40:249.
- Howell DA, Beveridge RP, Bosco J, Jones M. Endoscopic needle aspiration biopsy at ERCP in the diagnosis of biliary strictures. Gastrointest Endosc 1992; 38:531.
- Mohandas KM, Swaroop VS, Gullar SU, et al. Diagnosis of malignant obstructive jaundice by bile cytology: results improved by dilating the bile duct strictures. Gastrointest Endosc 1994; 40:150.
- Ponsioen CY, Vrouenraets SM, van Milligen de Wit AW, et al. Value of brush cytology for dominant strictures in primary sclerosing cholangitis. Endoscopy 1999; 31:305.
- Stewart CJ, Burke GM. Value of p53 immunostaining in pancreatico-biliary brush cytology specimens. Diagn Cytopathol 2000; 23:308.
- Morales CP, Burdick JS, Saboorian MH, et al. In situ hybridization for telomerase RNA in routine cytologic brushings for the diagnosis of pancreaticobiliary malignancies. Gastrointest Endosc 1998; 48:402.
- Itoi T, Shinohara Y, Takeda K, et al. Detection of telomerase activity in biopsy specimens for diagnosis of biliary tract cancers. Gastrointest Endosc 2000; 52:380.
- Patel AH, Harnois DM, Klee GG, et al. The utility of CA 19-9 in the diagnoses of cholangiocarcinoma in patients without primary sclerosing cholangitis. Am J Gastroenterol 2000; 95:204.
- Saurin JC, Joly-Pharaboz MO, Pernas P, et al. Detection of Ki-ras gene point mutations in bile specimens for the differential diagnosis of malignant and benign biliary strictures. Gut 2000; 47:357.
- Ryan ME, Baldauf MC. Comparison of flow cytometry for DNA content and brush cytology for detection of malignancy in pancreaticobiliary strictures. Gastrointest Endosc 1994; 40:133.
- Tamada K, Sugano K. Diagnosis and non-surgical treatment of bile duct carcinoma: developments in the past decade. J Gastroenterol 2000; 35:319.
- Rumalla A, Petersen BT. Diagnosis and therapy of biliary tract malignancy. Semin Gastrointest Dis 2000; 11:168.
- Bain VG, Abraham N, Jhangri GS, et al. Prospective study of biliary strictures to determine the predictors of malignancy. Can J Gastroenterol 2000; 14:397.
- Adamsen S, Olsen M, Jendresen MB, et al. Endobiliary brush biopsy: Intra- and interobserver variation in cytological evaluation of brushings from bile duct strictures. Scand J Gastroenterol 2006; 41:597.
- Glasbrenner B, Ardan M, Boeck W, et al. Prospective evaluation of brush cytology of biliary strictures during endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography. Endoscopy 1999; 31:712.
- Yamaguchi T, Shirai Y, Nakamura N, et al. Usefulness of brush cytology combined with pancreatic juice cytology in the diagnosis of pancreatic cancer: significance of pancreatic juice cytology after brushing. Pancreas 2012; 41:1225.
- Vandervoort J, Soetikno RM, Montes H, et al. Accuracy and complication rate of brush cytology from bile duct versus pancreatic duct. Gastrointest Endosc 1999; 49:322.
- Ferrari Júnior AP, Lichtenstein DR, Slivka A, et al. Brush cytology during ERCP for the diagnosis of biliary and pancreatic malignancies. Gastrointest Endosc 1994; 40:140.
- Weber A, von Weyhern C, Fend F, et al. Endoscopic transpapillary brush cytology and forceps biopsy in patients with hilar cholangiocarcinoma. World J Gastroenterol 2008; 14:1097.
- Asioli S, Accinelli G, Pacchioni D, Bussolati G. Diagnosis of biliary tract lesions by histological sectioning of brush bristles as alternative to cytological smearing. Am J Gastroenterol 2008; 103:1274.
- Boberg KM, Jebsen P, Clausen OP, et al. Diagnostic benefit of biliary brush cytology in cholangiocarcinoma in primary sclerosing cholangitis. J Hepatol 2006; 45:568.
- Charatcharoenwitthaya P, Enders FB, Halling KC, Lindor KD. Utility of serum tumor markers, imaging, and biliary cytology for detecting cholangiocarcinoma in primary sclerosing cholangitis. Hepatology 2008; 48:1106.
- McGuire DE, Venu RP, Brown RD, et al. Brush cytology for pancreatic carcinoma: an analysis of factors influencing results. Gastrointest Endosc 1996; 44:300.
- Farrell RJ, Jain AK, Brandwein SL, et al. The combination of stricture dilation, endoscopic needle aspiration, and biliary brushings significantly improves diagnostic yield from malignant bile duct strictures. Gastrointest Endosc 2001; 54:587.
- de Bellis M, Fogel EL, Sherman S, et al. Influence of stricture dilation and repeat brushing on the cancer detection rate of brush cytology in the evaluation of malignant biliary obstruction. Gastrointest Endosc 2003; 58:176.
- Ornellas LC, Santos Gda C, Nakao FS, Ferrari AP. Comparison between endoscopic brush cytology performed before and after biliary stricture dilation for cancer detection. Arq Gastroenterol 2006; 43:20.
- de Bellis M, Sherman S, Fogel EL, et al. Tissue sampling at ERCP in suspected malignant biliary strictures (Part 2). Gastrointest Endosc 2002; 56:720.
- Fogel EL, deBellis M, McHenry L, et al. Effectiveness of a new long cytology brush in the evaluation of malignant biliary obstruction: a prospective study. Gastrointest Endosc 2006; 63:71.
- Pugliese V, Conio M, Nicolò G, et al. Endoscopic retrograde forceps biopsy and brush cytology of biliary strictures: a prospective study. Gastrointest Endosc 1995; 42:520.
- Sugiyama M, Atomi Y, Wada N, et al. Endoscopic transpapillary bile duct biopsy without sphincterotomy for diagnosing biliary strictures: a prospective comparative study with bile and brush cytology. Am J Gastroenterol 1996; 91:465.
- Wright ER, Bakis G, Srinivasan R, et al. Intraprocedural tissue diagnosis during ERCP employing a new cytology preparation of forceps biopsy (Smash protocol). Am J Gastroenterol 2011; 106:294.
- Uehara H, Tatsumi K, Masuda E, et al. Scraping cytology with a guidewire for pancreatic-ductal strictures. Gastrointest Endosc 2009; 70:52.
- Sakuma Y, Kodama Y, Sogabe Y, et al. Diagnostic performance of a new endoscopic scraper for malignant biliary strictures: a multicenter prospective study. Gastrointest Endosc 2017; 85:371.
- Pugliese V, Pujic N, Saccomanno S, et al. Pancreatic intraductal sampling during ERCP in patients with chronic pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer: cytologic studies and k-ras-2 codon 12 molecular analysis in 47 cases. Gastrointest Endosc 2001; 54:595.
- Moreno Luna LE, Kipp B, Halling KC, et al. Advanced cytologic techniques for the detection of malignant pancreatobiliary strictures. Gastroenterology 2006; 131:1064.
- Levy MJ, Baron TH, Clayton AC, et al. Prospective evaluation of advanced molecular markers and imaging techniques in patients with indeterminate bile duct strictures. Am J Gastroenterol 2008; 103:1263.
- Bangarulingam SY, Bjornsson E, Enders F, et al. Long-term outcomes of positive fluorescence in situ hybridization tests in primary sclerosing cholangitis. Hepatology 2010; 51:174.
- Lindberg B, Enochsson L, Tribukait B, et al. Diagnostic and prognostic implications of DNA ploidy and S-phase evaluation in the assessment of malignancy in biliary strictures. Endoscopy 2006; 38:561.
- Parsi MA, Li A, Li CP, Goggins M. DNA methylation alterations in endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography brush samples of patients with suspected pancreaticobiliary disease. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2008; 6:1270.
- Arvanitakis M, Hookey L, Tessier G, et al. Intraductal optical coherence tomography during endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography for investigation of biliary strictures. Endoscopy 2009; 41:696.
- Inui K, Nakazawa S, Yoshino J, et al. Ultrasound probes for biliary lesions. Endoscopy 1998; 30 Suppl 1:A120.
- Tamada K, Ido K, Ueno N, et al. Preoperative staging of extrahepatic bile duct cancer with intraductal ultrasonography. Am J Gastroenterol 1995; 90:239.
- DeWitt J, Misra VL, Leblanc JK, et al. EUS-guided FNA of proximal biliary strictures after negative ERCP brush cytology results. Gastrointest Endosc 2006; 64:325.
- Mohamadnejad M, DeWitt JM, Sherman S, et al. Role of EUS for preoperative evaluation of cholangiocarcinoma: a large single-center experience. Gastrointest Endosc 2011; 73:71.
- Larghi A, Lecca PG, Ardito F, et al. Evaluation of hilar biliary strictures by using a newly developed forward-viewing therapeutic echoendoscope: preliminary results of an ongoing experience. Gastrointest Endosc 2009; 69:356.
- ENDOSCOPIC RETROGRADE CHOLANGIOPANCREATOGRAPHY
- Radiographic appearance
- Tissue sampling during ERCP
- - Brush cytology
- Primary sclerosing cholangitis
- Tumor type
- New tools
- - Forceps biopsy
- - Endoscopic fine-needle aspiration
- - Bile aspiration
- - Scraping cytology
- Tumor markers
- - p53 and K-ras
- - Telomerase RNA
- - Measures of DNA proliferation
- Cholangioscopy during ERCP
- ENDOSCOPIC ULTRASOUND AND INTRADUCTAL PROBES
- Intraductal ultrasonography
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS