Endoleak following endovascular aortic repair
- Rabih A Chaer, MD
Rabih A Chaer, MD
- Professor of Surgery
- The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- Efthymios Avgerinos, MD
Efthymios Avgerinos, MD
- Associate Professor of Surgery
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- Section Editors
- John F Eidt, MD
John F Eidt, MD
- Section Editor — Vascular and Endovascular Surgery
- Professor of Surgery, Texas A&M Health Sciences Center - Dallas Campus
- Vice Chair of Vascular Surgical Services, Baylor Heart and Vascular Hospital at Dallas
- Joseph L Mills, Sr, MD
Joseph L Mills, Sr, MD
- Section Editor — Vascular and Endovascular Surgery
- Professor and Chief
- Division of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy
- Baylor College of Medicine
Following endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA), endoleak (all types) has been reported in 20 to 50 percent of patients. Manifestations of endoleak range from asymptomatic to uncontrolled aortic rupture. Endoleaks result from a poor seal at the proximal or distal fixation sites or between the graft components, from patent lumbar vessels, or from the result of graft material failure.
Endoleaks may be identified on completion arteriography at the time of endovascular graft placement or during later follow-up at the time of endograft surveillance imaging. The type of endoleak, classified as type I through type IV, determines its clinical significance and treatment. Some types of endoleak clearly affect short-term and long-term outcomes. There is little controversy that type I and III endoleaks should be treated, but there is debate about the clinical importance of type II endoleak. Reports conflict regarding the optimal timing and type of treatment. Most endoleaks are managed successfully with the placement of additional stents or by using embolization techniques, but sometimes open surgical repair is needed.
The classification and management of endoleaks that result from endovascular repair of the aortic aneurysm will be reviewed here. Types of endovascular devices and endovascular repair of abdominal aorta and thoracic aorta are reviewed separately. (See "Endovascular devices for abdominal aortic repair" and "Endovascular devices for thoracic aortic repair" and "Endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm" and "Endovascular repair of the thoracic aorta".)
ETIOLOGY AND CLASSIFICATION
For patients with suitable anatomy, an endovascular approach is widely accepted as the preferred initial approach for repair of an infrarenal abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) or descending thoracic aortic aneurysm [1-6]. One of the limitations of endovascular repair is the need for ongoing surveillance, primarily to identify type II endoleak, which may require reintervention . (See "Management of asymptomatic abdominal aortic aneurysm" and "Endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm".)
Successful endovascular repair must completely exclude the aneurysm from the arterial circulation to eliminate the effects of systemic blood pressure on the aneurysm sac, which prevents aneurysm expansion and rupture. Persistent arterial perfusion of the aneurysm sac after endovascular treatment indicates a failure to completely exclude the aneurysm and is defined as endoleak [8,9]. Endoleak is associated with an ongoing risk for aneurysm expansion or rupture.
- Chaikof EL, Brewster DC, Dalman RL, et al. The care of patients with an abdominal aortic aneurysm: the Society for Vascular Surgery practice guidelines. J Vasc Surg 2009; 50:S2.
- Dangas G, O'Connor D, Firwana B, et al. Open versus endovascular stent graft repair of abdominal aortic aneurysms: a meta-analysis of randomized trials. JACC Cardiovasc Interv 2012; 5:1071.
- Moll FL, Powell JT, Fraedrich G, et al. Management of abdominal aortic aneurysms clinical practice guidelines of the European society for vascular surgery. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2011; 41 Suppl 1:S1.
- Stather PW, Sidloff D, Dattani N, et al. Systematic review and meta-analysis of the early and late outcomes of open and endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm. Br J Surg 2013; 100:863.
- Wyss TR, Brown LC, Powell JT, Greenhalgh RM. Rate and predictability of graft rupture after endovascular and open abdominal aortic aneurysm repair: data from the EVAR Trials. Ann Surg 2010; 252:805.
- Hiratzka LF, Bakris GL, Beckman JA, et al. 2010 ACCF/AHA/AATS/ACR/ASA/SCA/SCAI/SIR/STS/SVM guidelines for the diagnosis and management of patients with Thoracic Aortic Disease: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines, American Association for Thoracic Surgery, American College of Radiology, American Stroke Association, Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists, Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, Society of Interventional Radiology, Society of Thoracic Surgeons, and Society for Vascular Medicine. Circulation 2010; 121:e266.
- Avgerinos ED, Chaer RA, Makaroun MS. Type II endoleaks. J Vasc Surg 2014; 60:1386.
- Chaikof EL, Blankensteijn JD, Harris PL, et al. Reporting standards for endovascular aortic aneurysm repair. J Vasc Surg 2002; 35:1048.
- Görich J, Rilinger N, Sokiranski R, et al. Treatment of leaks after endovascular repair of aortic aneurysms. Radiology 2000; 215:414.
- Tan TW, Eslami M, Rybin D, et al. Outcomes of patients with type I endoleak at completion of endovascular abdominal aneurysm repair. J Vasc Surg 2016; 63:1420.
- Hager ES, Cho JS, Makaroun MS, et al. Endografts with suprarenal fixation do not perform better than those with infrarenal fixation in the treatment of patients with short straight proximal aortic necks. J Vasc Surg 2012; 55:1242.
- Mehta M, Sternbach Y, Taggert JB, et al. Long-term outcomes of secondary procedures after endovascular aneurysm repair. J Vasc Surg 2010; 52:1442.
- Conrad MF, Adams AB, Guest JM, et al. Secondary intervention after endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repair. Ann Surg 2009; 250:383.
- Veith FJ, Baum RA, Ohki T, et al. Nature and significance of endoleaks and endotension: summary of opinions expressed at an international conference. J Vasc Surg 2002; 35:1029.
- Abularrage CJ, Crawford RS, Conrad MF, et al. Preoperative variables predict persistent type 2 endoleak after endovascular aneurysm repair. J Vasc Surg 2010; 52:19.
- White GH, May J, Waugh RC, et al. Type III and type IV endoleak: toward a complete definition of blood flow in the sac after endoluminal AAA repair. J Endovasc Surg 1998; 5:305.
- Zarins CK, Wolf YG, Lee WA, et al. Will endovascular repair replace open surgery for abdominal aortic aneurysm repair? Ann Surg 2000; 232:501.
- Heikkinen MA, Arko FR, Zarins CK. What is the significance of endoleaks and endotension. Surg Clin North Am 2004; 84:1337.
- Cantisani V, Ricci P, Grazhdani H, et al. Prospective comparative analysis of colour-Doppler ultrasound, contrast-enhanced ultrasound, computed tomography and magnetic resonance in detecting endoleak after endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repair. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2011; 41:186.
- Stavropoulos SW, Charagundla SR. Imaging techniques for detection and management of endoleaks after endovascular aortic aneurysm repair. Radiology 2007; 243:641.
- Chaer RA, Gushchin A, Rhee R, et al. Duplex ultrasound as the sole long-term surveillance method post-endovascular aneurysm repair: a safe alternative for stable aneurysms. J Vasc Surg 2009; 49:845.
- Harrison GJ, Oshin OA, Vallabhaneni SR, et al. Surveillance after EVAR based on duplex ultrasound and abdominal radiography. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2011; 42:187.
- Go MR, Barbato JE, Rhee RY, Makaroun MS. What is the clinical utility of a 6-month computed tomography in the follow-up of endovascular aneurysm repair patients? J Vasc Surg 2008; 47:1181.
- Parent FN, Meier GH, Godziachvili V, et al. The incidence and natural history of type I and II endoleak: a 5-year follow-up assessment with color duplex ultrasound scan. J Vasc Surg 2002; 35:474.
- Hoppe H, Segall JA, Liem TK, et al. Aortic aneurysm sac pressure measurements after endovascular repair using an implantable remote sensor: initial experience and short-term follow-up. Eur Radiol 2008; 18:957.
- Buth J, Harris PL, van Marrewijk C, Fransen G. The significance and management of different types of endoleaks. Semin Vasc Surg 2003; 16:95.
- Lal BK, Zhou W, Li Z, et al. Predictors and outcomes of endoleaks in the Veterans Affairs Open Versus Endovascular Repair (OVER) Trial of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms. J Vasc Surg 2015; 62:1394.
- White HA, Macdonald S. Estimating risk associated with radiation exposure during follow-up after endovascular aortic repair (EVAR). J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 2010; 51:95.
- Fransen GA, Vallabhaneni SR Sr, van Marrewijk CJ, et al. Rupture of infra-renal aortic aneurysm after endovascular repair: a series from EUROSTAR registry. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2003; 26:487.
- Harris PL, Vallabhaneni SR, Desgranges P, et al. Incidence and risk factors of late rupture, conversion, and death after endovascular repair of infrarenal aortic aneurysms: the EUROSTAR experience. European Collaborators on Stent/graft techniques for aortic aneurysm repair. J Vasc Surg 2000; 32:739.
- Millen AM, Osman K, Antoniou GA, et al. Outcomes of persistent intraoperative type Ia endoleak after standard endovascular aneurysm repair. J Vasc Surg 2015; 61:1185.
- Buth J, Laheij RJ. Early complications and endoleaks after endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repair: report of a multicenter study. J Vasc Surg 2000; 31:134.
- Mohan IV, Laheij RJ, Harris PL, EUROSTAR COLLABORATORS. Risk factors for endoleak and the evidence for stent-graft oversizing in patients undergoing endovascular aneurysm repair. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2001; 21:344.
- Arthurs ZM, Lyden SP, Rajani RR, et al. Long-term outcomes of Palmaz stent placement for intraoperative type Ia endoleak during endovascular aneurysm repair. Ann Vasc Surg 2011; 25:120.
- Faries PL, Cadot H, Agarwal G, et al. Management of endoleak after endovascular aneurysm repair: cuffs, coils, and conversion. J Vasc Surg 2003; 37:1155.
- Bastos Gonçalves F, Verhagen HJ, Vasanthananthan K, et al. Spontaneous delayed sealing in selected patients with a primary type-Ia endoleak after endovascular aneurysm repair. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2014; 48:53.
- Donas KP, Torsello G, Bisdas T, et al. Early outcomes for fenestrated and chimney endografts in the treatment of pararenal aortic pathologies are not significantly different: a systematic review with pooled data analysis. J Endovasc Ther 2012; 19:723.
- Kim NH, Kim WC, Jeon YS, et al. Repair of type I endoleak by chimney technique after endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repair. Ann Surg Treat Res 2014; 86:274.
- Katsargyris A, Yazar O, Oikonomou K, et al. Fenestrated stent-grafts for salvage of prior endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repair. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2013; 46:49.
- de Vries JP, Ouriel K, Mehta M, et al. Analysis of EndoAnchors for endovascular aneurysm repair by indications for use. J Vasc Surg 2014; 60:1460.
- Katsargyris A, Oikonomou K, Nagel S, et al. Endostaples: are they the solution to graft migration and Type I endoleaks? J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 2015; 56:363.
- Karthikesalingam A, Hinchliffe RJ, Holt PJ, et al. Endovascular aneurysm repair with preservation of the internal iliac artery using the iliac branch graft device. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2010; 39:285.
- Ziegler P, Avgerinos ED, Umscheid T, et al. Branched iliac bifurcation: 6 years experience with endovascular preservation of internal iliac artery flow. J Vasc Surg 2007; 46:204.
- Moulakakis KG, Dalainas I, Mylonas S, et al. Conversion to open repair after endografting for abdominal aortic aneurysm: a review of causes, incidence, results, and surgical techniques of reconstruction. J Endovasc Ther 2010; 17:694.
- Brown A, Saggu GK, Bown MJ, et al. Type II endoleaks: challenges and solutions. Vasc Health Risk Manag 2016; 12:53.
- van Marrewijk CJ, Fransen G, Laheij RJ, et al. Is a type II endoleak after EVAR a harbinger of risk? Causes and outcome of open conversion and aneurysm rupture during follow-up. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2004; 27:128.
- Drury D, Michaels JA, Jones L, Ayiku L. Systematic review of recent evidence for the safety and efficacy of elective endovascular repair in the management of infrarenal abdominal aortic aneurysm. Br J Surg 2005; 92:937.
- Sidloff DA, Stather PW, Choke E, et al. Type II endoleak after endovascular aneurysm repair. Br J Surg 2013; 100:1262.
- Makaroun M, Zajko A, Sugimoto H, et al. Fate of endoleaks after endoluminal repair of abdominal aortic aneurysms with the EVT device. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 1999; 18:185.
- Peterson BG, Matsumura JS, Brewster DC, et al. Five-year report of a multicenter controlled clinical trial of open versus endovascular treatment of abdominal aortic aneurysms. J Vasc Surg 2007; 45:885.
- Sheehan MK, Ouriel K, Greenberg R, et al. Are type II endoleaks after endovascular aneurysm repair endograft dependent? J Vasc Surg 2006; 43:657.
- Broker HS, Foteh KI, Murphy EH, et al. Device-specific aneurysm sac morphology after endovascular aneurysm repair: evaluation of contemporary graft materials. J Vasc Surg 2008; 47:702.
- Lo RC, Buck DB, Herrmann J, et al. Risk factors and consequences of persistent type II endoleaks. J Vasc Surg 2016; 63:895.
- Aziz A, Menias CO, Sanchez LA, et al. Outcomes of percutaneous endovascular intervention for type II endoleak with aneurysm expansion. J Vasc Surg 2012; 55:1263.
- Sarac TP, Gibbons C, Vargas L, et al. Long-term follow-up of type II endoleak embolization reveals the need for close surveillance. J Vasc Surg 2012; 55:33.
- Silverberg D, Baril DT, Ellozy SH, et al. An 8-year experience with type II endoleaks: natural history suggests selective intervention is a safe approach. J Vasc Surg 2006; 44:453.
- Lazarides MK, Georgiadis GS, Charalampidis DG, et al. Impact of long-term warfarin treatment on EVAR durability: a meta-analysis. J Endovasc Ther 2014; 21:148.
- Uthoff H, Katzen BT, Gandhi R, et al. Direct percutaneous sac injection for postoperative endoleak treatment after endovascular aortic aneurysm repair. J Vasc Surg 2012; 56:965.
- Jones JE, Atkins MD, Brewster DC, et al. Persistent type 2 endoleak after endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm is associated with adverse late outcomes. J Vasc Surg 2007; 46:1.
- Schlösser FJ, Gusberg RJ, Dardik A, et al. Aneurysm rupture after EVAR: can the ultimate failure be predicted? Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2009; 37:15.
- Baum RA, Carpenter JP, Stavropoulous SW, Fairman RM. Diagnosis and management of type 2 endoleaks after endovascular aneurysm repair. Tech Vasc Interv Radiol 2001; 4:222.
- Massis K, Carson WG 3rd, Rozas A, et al. Treatment of type II endoleaks with ethylene-vinyl-alcohol copolymer (Onyx). Vasc Endovascular Surg 2012; 46:251.
- Sheehan MK, Barbato J, Compton CN, et al. Effectiveness of coiling in the treatment of endoleaks after endovascular repair. J Vasc Surg 2004; 40:430.
- Mansueto G, Cenzi D, Scuro A, et al. Treatment of type II endoleak with a transcatheter transcaval approach: results at 1-year follow-up. J Vasc Surg 2007; 45:1120.
- Ferrari M, Sardella SG, Berchiolli R, et al. Surgical treatment of persistent type 2 endoleaks, with increase of the aneurysm sac: indications and technical notes. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2005; 29:43.
- Kolvenbach R, Pinter L, Raghunandan M, et al. Laparoscopic remodeling of abdominal aortic aneurysms after endovascular exclusion: a technical description. J Vasc Surg 2002; 36:1267.
- Mangialardi N, Ronchey S, Orrico M, et al. Surgical conversion with graft salvage as a definitive treatment for persistent type II endoleak causing sac enlargement. J Vasc Surg 2015; 62:1437.
- Eng ML, Brewer MB, Rowe VL, Weaver FA. Treatment options for late type III endoleaks after endovascular aneurysm repair. Ann Vasc Surg 2015; 29:594.e5.
- Avgerinos ED, Dalainas I, Kakisis J, et al. Endograft accommodation on the aortic bifurcation: an overview of anatomical fixation and implications for long-term stent-graft stability. J Endovasc Ther 2011; 18:462.
- Skibba AA, Evans JR, Greenfield DT, et al. Management of late main-body aortic endograft component uncoupling and type IIIa endoleak encountered with the Endologix Powerlink and AFX platforms. J Vasc Surg 2015; 62:868.
- Keith CJ Jr, Passman MA, Gaffud MJ, et al. Comparison of outcomes following endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysms based on size threshold. J Vasc Surg 2013; 58:1458.
- Troutman DA, Chaudry M, Dougherty MJ, Calligaro KD. Endovascular aortic aneurysm repair surveillance may not be necessary for the first 3 years after an initially normal duplex postoperative study. J Vasc Surg 2014; 60:558.
- Cho JS, Dillavou ED, Rhee RY, Makaroun MS. Late abdominal aortic aneurysm enlargement after endovascular repair with the Excluder device. J Vasc Surg 2004; 39:1236.
- Fillinger M, Excluder Bifurcated Endoprosthesis Clinical Investigators. Three-dimensional analysis of enlarging aneurysms after endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repair in the Gore Excluder Pivotal clinical trial. J Vasc Surg 2006; 43:888.
- Aoki A, Suezawa T, Sangawa K, Tago M. Effect of type II endoleaks and antiplatelet therapy on abdominal aortic aneurysm shrinkage after endovascular repair. J Vasc Surg 2011; 54:947.
- Wild JB, Dattani N, Stather P, et al. Effect of anticoagulation and antiplatelet therapy on incidence of endoleaks and sac size expansions after endovascular aneurysm repair. Ann Vasc Surg 2014; 28:554.
- Johnson MS, Chiang J, Eldrup-Jorgensen J, et al. Effect of chronic oral anticoagulation with warfarin on the durability and outcomes of endovascular aortic aneurysm repair. J Vasc Surg 2013; 58:319.
- Bobadilla JL, Hoch JR, Leverson GE, Tefera G. The effect of warfarin therapy on endoleak development after endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR) of the abdominal aorta. J Vasc Surg 2010; 52:267.
- Fattori R, Nienaber CA, Rousseau H, et al. Results of endovascular repair of the thoracic aorta with the Talent Thoracic stent graft: the Talent Thoracic Retrospective Registry. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2006; 132:332.
- Parmer SS, Carpenter JP, Stavropoulos SW, et al. Endoleaks after endovascular repair of thoracic aortic aneurysms. J Vasc Surg 2006; 44:447.
- Riambau V, Zipfel B, Coppi G, et al. Final operative and midterm results of the European experience in the RELAY Endovascular Registry for Thoracic Disease (RESTORE) study. J Vasc Surg 2011; 53:565.
- Torsello GB, Torsello GF, Osada N, et al. Midterm results from the TRAVIATA registry: treatment of thoracic aortic disease with the valiant stent graft. J Endovasc Ther 2010; 17:137.
- Wheatley GH 3rd, Gurbuz AT, Rodriguez-Lopez JA, et al. Midterm outcome in 158 consecutive Gore TAG thoracic endoprostheses: single center experience. Ann Thorac Surg 2006; 81:1570.
- Gleason TG. Endoleaks after endovascular aortic stent-grafting: impact, diagnosis, and management. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2009; 21:363.
- Lipsitz E, Michler RE, Neragi-Miandoab S. Hybrid arch debranching and proximal endograft extension to repair a type I endoleak after endovascular thoracic aneurysm repair. Ann Vasc Surg 2014; 28:740.e7.
- Neragi-Miandoab S, Bernik T. Endovascular repair of thoracic aortic aneurysms. Recent Pat Cardiovasc Drug Discov 2009; 4:211.
- Neragi-Miandoab S, Tuchak J, Bakhos M, Schwartz JP. Open repair of a new aneurysm of the thoracoabdominal aorta after endovascular stent placement. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2006; 132:157.
- Greenberg RK, Deaton D, Sullivan T, et al. Variable sac behavior after endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm: analysis of core laboratory data. J Vasc Surg 2004; 39:95.
- Mastracci TM, Greenberg RK, Eagleton MJ, Hernandez AV. Durability of branches in branched and fenestrated endografts. J Vasc Surg 2013; 57:926.
- Lindblad B, Bin Jabr A, Holst J, Malina M. Chimney Grafts in Aortic Stent Grafting: Hazardous or Useful Technique? Systematic Review of Current Data. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2015; 50:722.
- Fabre D, Fadel E, Brenot P, et al. Type II endoleak prevention with coil embolization during endovascular aneurysm repair in high-risk patients. J Vasc Surg 2015; 62:1.
- Gould DA, McWilliams R, Edwards RD, et al. Aortic side branch embolization before endovascular aneurysm repair: incidence of type II endoleak. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2001; 12:337.
- Güntner O, Zeman F, Wohlgemuth WA, et al. Inferior mesenteric arterial type II endoleaks after endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm: are they predictable? Radiology 2014; 270:910.
- Parry DJ, Kessel DO, Robertson I, et al. Type II endoleaks: predictable, preventable, and sometimes treatable? J Vasc Surg 2002; 36:105.
- Ward TJ, Cohen S, Fischman AM, et al. Preoperative inferior mesenteric artery embolization before endovascular aneurysm repair: decreased incidence of type II endoleak and aneurysm sac enlargement with 24-month follow-up. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2013; 24:49.
- Mascoli C, Freyrie A, Gargiulo M, et al. Selective Intra-procedural AAA sac Embolization During EVAR Reduces the Rate of Type II Endoleak. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2016; 51:632.
- ETIOLOGY AND CLASSIFICATION
- CLINICAL MANIFESTATIONS
- ENDOLEAK MANAGEMENT AFTER EVAR
- Type I endoleak
- - Initial approach to type I endoleak
- - Refractory and late type I endoleak
- Type II endoleak
- - Criteria for treatment
- - Treatment techniques
- Type III endoleak
- Type IV endoleak
- Endoleak of undefined origin
- Alterations to surveillance
- Alterations to antithrombotic therapies
- ENDOLEAK MANAGEMENT AFTER TEVAR
- ENDOLEAK MANAGEMENT AFTER COMPLEX ABDOMINAL ENDOGRAFTING
- PREVENTION STRATEGIES
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS