Electrical stimulation for gastroparesis
- William L Hasler, MD
William L Hasler, MD
- Professor of Internal Medicine
- University of Michigan Health System
Gastroparesis is defined as a delay in gastric emptying that produces nausea, vomiting, bloating, early satiety, and discomfort. In severe cases, nausea and vomiting may cause weight loss, dehydration, electrolyte disturbances, and malnutrition due to inadequate caloric and fluid intake.
Management of gastroparesis consists of supportive measures (eg, hydration and nutrition), optimizing glycemic control in patients with diabetes mellitus, medications, and occasionally surgical therapy. The limited efficacy of these options for patients with severe gastroparesis has provided a rationale for the development of novel approaches for treatment.
This topic review will provide an overview of the methods of electrical stimulation of gastric motor activity for gastroparesis and their efficacy in treating gastroparesis. The pathophysiology, etiology, diagnosis, and treatment of gastroparesis are discussed separately. (See "Gastroparesis: Etiology, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis" and "Pathogenesis of delayed gastric emptying" and "Treatment of gastroparesis".)
MYOELECTRIC CONTROL OF GASTRIC MOTOR FUNCTION
The emptying of gastric contents after a meal is controlled by specific motor and myoelectric activities of different regions of the stomach.
●The proximal stomach exhibits changes in tone in response to eating, which serve initially to accommodate the ingested bolus and then, as digestion progresses, to regulate delivery of food particles into the distal stomach [1,2].
- Ahluwalia NK, Thompson DG, Barlow J. Effect of distension and feeding on phasic changes in human proximal gastric tone. Gut 1996; 39:757.
- Collins PJ, Horowitz M, Chatterton BE. Proximal, distal and total stomach emptying of a digestible solid meal in normal subjects. Br J Radiol 1988; 61:12.
- Rees WD, Go VL, Malagelada JR. Antroduodenal motor response to solid-liquid and homogenized meals. Gastroenterology 1979; 76:1438.
- Hinder RA, Kelly KA. Human gastric pacesetter potential. Site of origin, spread, and response to gastric transection and proximal gastric vagotomy. Am J Surg 1977; 133:29.
- Morgan KG, Szurszewski JH. Mechanisms of phasic and tonic actions of pentagastrin on canine gastric smooth muscle. J Physiol 1980; 301:229.
- Lin Z, Hou Q, Sarosiek I, et al. Association between changes in symptoms and gastric emptying in gastroparetic patients treated with gastric electrical stimulation. Neurogastroenterol Motil 2008; 20:464.
- Xing J, Brody F, Rosen M, et al. The effect of gastric electrical stimulation on canine gastric slow waves. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 2003; 284:G956.
- Lin Z, Forster J, Sarosiek I, McCallum RW. Effect of high-frequency gastric electrical stimulation on gastric myoelectric activity in gastroparetic patients. Neurogastroenterol Motil 2004; 16:205.
- Chen JD, Qian L, Ouyang H, Yin J. Gastric electrical stimulation with short pulses reduces vomiting but not dysrhythmias in dogs. Gastroenterology 2003; 124:401.
- Gourcerol G, Ouelaa W, Huet E, et al. Gastric electrical stimulation increases the discomfort threshold to gastric distension. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2013; 25:213.
- Liu J, Qiao X, Chen JD. Vagal afferent is involved in short-pulse gastric electrical stimulation in rats. Dig Dis Sci 2004; 49:729.
- Xing JH, Brody F, Brodsky J, et al. Gastric electrical stimulation at proximal stomach induces gastric relaxation in dogs. Neurogastroenterol Motil 2003; 15:15.
- McCallum RW, Dusing RW, Sarosiek I, et al. Mechanisms of high-frequency electrical stimulation of the stomach in gastroparetic patients. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2006; 1:5400.
- Qin C, Chen JD, Zhang J, Foreman RD. Modulatory effects and afferent pathways of gastric electrical stimulation on rat thoracic spinal neurons receiving input from the stomach. Neurosci Res 2007; 57:29.
- Gallas S, Sinno MH, Boukhettala N, et al. Gastric electrical stimulation increases ghrelin production and inhibits catecholaminergic brainstem neurons in rats. Eur J Neurosci 2011; 33:276.
- Abell T, McCallum R, Hocking M, et al. Gastric electrical stimulation for medically refractory gastroparesis. Gastroenterology 2003; 125:421.
- McCallum RW, Snape W, Brody F, et al. Gastric electrical stimulation with Enterra therapy improves symptoms from diabetic gastroparesis in a prospective study. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2010; 8:947.
- McCallum RW, Sarosiek I, Parkman HP, et al. Gastric electrical stimulation with Enterra therapy improves symptoms of idiopathic gastroparesis. Neurogastroenterol Motil 2013; 25:815.
- O'Grady G, Egbuji JU, Du P, et al. High-frequency gastric electrical stimulation for the treatment of gastroparesis: a meta-analysis. World J Surg 2009; 33:1693.
- Abell TL, Van Cutsem E, Abrahamsson H, et al. Gastric electrical stimulation in intractable symptomatic gastroparesis. Digestion 2002; 66:204.
- Forster J, Sarosiek I, Lin Z, et al. Further experience with gastric stimulation to treat drug refractory gastroparesis. Am J Surg 2003; 186:690.
- Abell T, Lou J, Tabbaa M, et al. Gastric electrical stimulation for gastroparesis improves nutritional parameters at short, intermediate, and long-term follow-up. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 2003; 27:277.
- Cutts TF, Luo J, Starkebaum W, et al. Is gastric electrical stimulation superior to standard pharmacologic therapy in improving GI symptoms, healthcare resources, and long-term health care benefits? Neurogastroenterol Motil 2005; 17:35.
- Lin Z, McElhinney C, Sarosiek I, et al. Chronic gastric electrical stimulation for gastroparesis reduces the use of prokinetic and/or antiemetic medications and the need for hospitalizations. Dig Dis Sci 2005; 50:1328.
- Lin Z, Sarosiek I, Forster J, McCallum RW. Symptom responses, long-term outcomes and adverse events beyond 3 years of high-frequency gastric electrical stimulation for gastroparesis. Neurogastroenterol Motil 2006; 18:18.
- Maranki JL, Lytes V, Meilahn JE, et al. Predictive factors for clinical improvement with Enterra gastric electric stimulation treatment for refractory gastroparesis. Dig Dis Sci 2008; 53:2072.
- McCallum R, Lin Z, Wetzel P, et al. Clinical response to gastric electrical stimulation in patients with postsurgical gastroparesis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2005; 3:49.
- Salameh JR, Schmieg RE Jr, Runnels JM, Abell TL. Refractory gastroparesis after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: surgical treatment with implantable pacemaker. J Gastrointest Surg 2007; 11:1669.
- Andersson S, Lönroth H, Simrén M, et al. Gastric electrical stimulation for intractable vomiting in patients with chronic intestinal pseudoobstruction. Neurogastroenterol Motil 2006; 18:823.
- Filichia LA, Cendan JC. Small case series of gastric stimulation for the management of transplant-induced gastroparesis. J Surg Res 2008; 148:90.
- Anand C, Al-Juburi A, Familoni B, et al. Gastric electrical stimulation is safe and effective: a long-term study in patients with drug-refractory gastroparesis in three regional centers. Digestion 2007; 75:83.
- McCallum RW, Lin Z, Forster J, et al. Gastric electrical stimulation improves outcomes of patients with gastroparesis for up to 10 years. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2011; 9:314.
- Teich S, Mousa HM, Punati J, Di Lorenzo C. Efficacy of permanent gastric electrical stimulation for the treatment of gastroparesis and functional dyspepsia in children and adolescents. J Pediatr Surg 2013; 48:178.
- Sarosiek I, Forster J, Lin Z, et al. The addition of pyloroplasty as a new surgical approach to enhance effectiveness of gastric electrical stimulation therapy in patients with gastroparesis. Neurogastroenterol Motil 2013; 25:134.
- Harrison NS, Williams PA, Walker MR, et al. Evaluation and Treatment of Gastric Stimulator Failure in Patients With Gastroparesis. Surg Innov 2013; 21:244.
- McCallum RW, et al. Enterra gastric electrical stimulation for idiopathic gastroparesis: Results from a multicenter randomized study (abstract). Gastroenterology 2010; 138:1065.
- van der Voort IR, Becker JC, Dietl KH, et al. Gastric electrical stimulation results in improved metabolic control in diabetic patients suffering from gastroparesis. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 2005; 113:38.
- Keller DS, Parkman HP, Boucek DO, et al. Surgical outcomes after gastric electric stimulator placement for refractory gastroparesis. J Gastrointest Surg 2013; 17:620.
- Hou Q, Lin Z, Mayo MS, et al. Is symptom relief associated with reduction in gastric retention after gastric electrical stimulation treatment in patients with gastroparesis? A sensitivity analysis with logistic regression models. Neurogastroenterol Motil 2012; 24:639.
- O'Loughlin PM, Gilliam AD, Shaban F, Varma JS. Pre-operative gastric emptying time correlates with clinical response to gastric electrical stimulation in the treatment of gastroparesis. Surgeon 2013; 11:134.
- Hejazi RA, Sarosiek I, Roeser K, McCallum RW. Does grading the severity of gastroparesis based on scintigraphic gastric emptying predict the treatment outcome of patients with gastroparesis? Dig Dis Sci 2011; 56:1147.
- McCallum RW, Chen JD, Lin Z, et al. Gastric pacing improves emptying and symptoms in patients with gastroparesis. Gastroenterology 1998; 114:456.
- Hocking MP, Vogel SB, Sninsky CA. Human gastric myoelectric activity and gastric emptying following gastric surgery and with pacing. Gastroenterology 1992; 103:1811.
- Deb S, Tang SJ, Abell TL, et al. Development of innovative techniques for the endoscopic implantation and securing of a novel, wireless, miniature gastrostimulator (with videos). Gastrointest Endosc 2012; 76:179.
- Deb S, Tang SJ, Abell TL, et al. An endoscopic wireless gastrostimulator (with video). Gastrointest Endosc 2012; 75:411.
- Abell TL, Johnson WD, Kedar A, et al. A double-masked, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of temporary endoscopic mucosal gastric electrical stimulation for gastroparesis. Gastrointest Endosc 2011; 74:496.
- Elfvin A, Andersson S, Abrahamsson H, et al. Percutaneous implantation of gastric electrodes - a novel technique applied in animals and in patients. Neurogastroenterol Motil 2007; 19:103.
- Abrahamsson H, Lönroth H, Simrén M. Progress in gastric electrical stimulation. Gastrointest Endosc 2008; 67:1209.
- Sallam HS, Chen JD, Pasricha PJ. Feasibility of gastric electrical stimulation by percutaneous endoscopic transgastric electrodes. Gastrointest Endosc 2008; 68:754.
- Mintchev MP, Sanmiguel CP, Amaris M, Bowes KL. Microprocessor-controlled movement of solid gastric content using sequential neural electrical stimulation. Gastroenterology 2000; 118:258.
- Chen JD, Xu X, Zhang J, et al. Efficiency and efficacy of multi-channel gastric electrical stimulation. Neurogastroenterol Motil 2005; 17:878.
- Zhu H, Sallam H, Chen DD, Chen JD. Therapeutic potential of synchronized gastric electrical stimulation for gastroparesis: enhanced gastric motility in dogs. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 2007; 293:R1875.
- Lin Z, Sarosiek I, Forster J, et al. Two-channel gastric pacing in patients with diabetic gastroparesis. Neurogastroenterol Motil 2011; 23:912.
- Arriagada AJ, Jurkov AS, Neshev E, et al. Design, implementation and testing of an implantable impedance-based feedback-controlled neural gastric stimulator. Physiol Meas 2011; 32:1103.
- Song GQ, Hou X, Yang B, et al. A novel method of 2-channel dual-pulse gastric electrical stimulation improves solid gastric emptying in dogs. Surgery 2008; 143:72.