Differentiated thyroid cancer: External beam radiotherapy
- James D Brierley, MB, BS, FRCP, FRCR, FRCPC
James D Brierley, MB, BS, FRCP, FRCR, FRCPC
- Department of Radiation Oncology
- University of Toronto, Canada
- Section Editor
- Douglas S Ross, MD
Douglas S Ross, MD
- Section Editor — Thyroid Disease
- Professor of Medicine
- Harvard Medical School
Surgical resection is the primary treatment for patients with differentiated (ie, papillary and follicular) thyroid cancer, followed by radioiodine and then thyroxine therapy. Most patients with well-differentiated thyroid cancer have resectable tumors, and the results from surgery, radioiodine, and thyroxine therapy are excellent.
External beam radiotherapy (EBRT) is used infrequently in the management of differentiated thyroid cancer. It is predominantly indicated for palliation of locally advanced unresectable or metastatic disease in patients whose tumors do not concentrate radioiodine. The role of EBRT in other settings is less certain.
The use of EBRT in the treatment of differentiated thyroid cancer will be reviewed here. Other aspects of the management of differentiated thyroid cancer are discussed separately, as is the role of EBRT in other thyroid malignancies, such as lymphoma and anaplastic as well as medullary thyroid cancer.
- Giuliani M, Brierley J. Indications for the use of external beam radiation in thyroid cancer. Curr Opin Oncol 2014; 26:45.
- Ito Y, Hirokawa M, Jikuzono T, et al. Extranodal tumor extension to adjacent organs predicts a worse cause-specific survival in patients with papillary thyroid carcinoma. World J Surg 2007; 31:1194.
- American Thyroid Association (ATA) Guidelines Taskforce on Thyroid Nodules and Differentiated Thyroid Cancer, Cooper DS, Doherty GM, et al. Revised American Thyroid Association management guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer. Thyroid 2009; 19:1167.
- Biermann M, Pixberg M, Riemann B, et al. Clinical outcomes of adjuvant external-beam radiotherapy for differentiated thyroid cancer - results after 874 patient-years of follow-up in the MSDS-trial. Nuklearmedizin 2009; 48:89.
- Brierley J, Tsang R, Panzarella T, Bana N. Prognostic factors and the effect of treatment with radioactive iodine and external beam radiation on patients with differentiated thyroid cancer seen at a single institution over 40 years. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2005; 63:418.
- Chow SM, Law SC, Mendenhall WM, et al. Papillary thyroid carcinoma: prognostic factors and the role of radioiodine and external radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2002; 52:784.
- Tsang RW, Brierley JD, Simpson WJ, et al. The effects of surgery, radioiodine, and external radiation therapy on the clinical outcome of patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Cancer 1998; 82:375.
- Wu XL, Hu YH, Li QH, et al. Value of postoperative radiotherapy for thyroid cancer. Head Neck Surg 1987; 10:107.
- Terezakis SA, Lee KS, Ghossein RA, et al. Role of external beam radiotherapy in patients with advanced or recurrent nonanaplastic thyroid cancer: Memorial Sloan-kettering Cancer Center experience. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2009; 73:795.
- Schwartz DL, Lobo MJ, Ang KK, et al. Postoperative external beam radiotherapy for differentiated thyroid cancer: outcomes and morbidity with conformal treatment. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2009; 74:1083.
- Romesser PB, Sherman EJ, Shaha AR, et al. External beam radiotherapy with or without concurrent chemotherapy in advanced or recurrent non-anaplastic non-medullary thyroid cancer. J Surg Oncol 2014; 110:375.
- Ford D, Giridharan S, McConkey C, et al. External beam radiotherapy in the management of differentiated thyroid cancer. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol) 2003; 15:337.
- O'Connell ME, A'Hern RP, Harmer CL. Results of external beam radiotherapy in differentiated thyroid carcinoma: a retrospective study from the Royal Marsden Hospital. Eur J Cancer 1994; 30A:733.
- Maxon HR 3rd, Englaro EE, Thomas SR, et al. Radioiodine-131 therapy for well-differentiated thyroid cancer--a quantitative radiation dosimetric approach: outcome and validation in 85 patients. J Nucl Med 1992; 33:1132.
- Azrif M, Slevin NJ, Sykes AJ, et al. Patterns of relapse following radiotherapy for differentiated thyroid cancer: implication for target volume delineation. Radiother Oncol 2008; 89:105.
- Lin JD, Tsang NM, Huang MJ, Weng HF. Results of external beam radiotherapy in patients with well differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Jpn J Clin Oncol 1997; 27:244.
- Samaan NA, Schultz PN, Hickey RC, et al. The results of various modalities of treatment of well differentiated thyroid carcinomas: a retrospective review of 1599 patients. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1992; 75:714.
- Powell C, Newbold K, Harrington KJ, et al. External beam radiotherapy for differentiated thyroid cancer. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol) 2010; 22:456.
- Andersen PE, Kinsella J, Loree TR, et al. Differentiated carcinoma of the thyroid with extrathyroidal extension. Am J Surg 1995; 170:467.
- Farahati J, Reiners C, Stuschke M, et al. Differentiated thyroid cancer. Impact of adjuvant external radiotherapy in patients with perithyroidal tumor infiltration (stage pT4). Cancer 1996; 77:172.
- Sia MA, Tsang RW, Panzarella T, Brierley JD. Differentiated thyroid cancer with extrathyroidal extension: prognosis and the role of external beam radiotherapy. J Thyroid Res 2010; 2010:183461.
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network. CLinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology. 2015. Thyroid Carcinoma Version 2.
- Casara D, Rubello D, Saladini G, et al. Distant metastases in differentiated thyroid cancer: long-term results of radioiodine treatment and statistical analysis of prognostic factors in 214 patients. Tumori 1991; 77:432.
- Proye CA, Dromer DH, Carnaille BM, et al. Is it still worthwhile to treat bone metastases from differentiated thyroid carcinoma with radioactive iodine? World J Surg 1992; 16:640.
- Haugen BR, Alexander EK, Bible KC, et al. 2015 American Thyroid Association Management Guidelines for Adult Patients with Thyroid Nodules and Differentiated Thyroid Cancer: The American Thyroid Association Guidelines Task Force on Thyroid Nodules and Differentiated Thyroid Cancer. Thyroid 2016; 26:1.
- British Thyroid Association Guidelines for the management of thyroid cancer. July, 2014 http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/cen.12515/pdf (Accessed on September 29, 2014).
- Pacini F, Castagna MG, Brilli L, et al. Thyroid cancer: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. Ann Oncol 2012; 23 Suppl 7:vii110.
- Cancer Care Ontario. Radiation Therapy Evidence-based Series (EBS). http://www.cancercare.on.ca/toolbox/qualityguidelines/clin-program/radther/ (Accessed on March 14, 2011).
- Urbano TG, Clark CH, Hansen VN, et al. Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy (IMRT) in locally advanced thyroid cancer: acute toxicity results of a phase I study. Radiother Oncol 2007; 85:58.
- Gal TJ, Streeter M, Burris J, et al. Quality of life impact of external beam radiotherapy for advanced thyroid carcinoma. Thyroid 2013; 23:64.