Dialysis modality and patient outcome
- Lionel U Mailloux, MD, FACP
Lionel U Mailloux, MD, FACP
- Clinical Professor of Medicine
- Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine
- John M Burkart, MD
John M Burkart, MD
- Section Editor — Dialysis
- Professor of Medicine/Nephrology
- Wake Forest University Medical Center
Although the rate of all-cause mortality for dialysis patients remains higher than the general population, the life expectancy of patients with end-stage renal disease (ESRD) has gradually improved since the introduction of dialysis in the 1960s. According to the 2013 United States Renal Data System (USRDS) report, the adjusted 60-month survival probabilities measured from day 1 of therapy for all patients was 0.30 for the cohort starting in 1998 compared with 0.36 for the cohort starting in 2006 .
Previously, one partial explanation for the poor survival in the United States was inadequate dialysis since substantially higher survival rates have been reported in Europe and Japan, even after case adjustment for age, sex, and renal diagnoses . Japanese patients, for example, have far fewer comorbid risk factors than those in the United States [3,4]. However, it is more likely that factors such as older age, a higher prevalence of diabetes mellitus, more comorbid conditions, and an inability to accurately capture severity of any noted comorbid disease are components of the higher dialysis mortality in the United States . This is particularly true as an increasing dialysis dose has been realized in the United States .
One of the highest survival rates has been reported from Tassin, France, where patients are dialyzed 24 hours per week, much longer than in almost all other centers (figure 1) . This and other observations have led to a general increase in time in the dialysis prescription in the United States.
In addition to increased duration of dialysis, it has been proposed that other factors also may improve patient outcome such as frequency of the dialysis treatment and middle-molecule clearance. (See "Prescribing and assessing adequate hemodialysis".)
This topic reviews the selection of dialysis modality and patient outcomes that are associated with specific modalities. Patient outcomes associated with dialysis adequacy, the use of daily or nocturnal hemodialysis, and the selection of different types of peritoneal dialysis are discussed elsewhere. (See "Patient survival and maintenance dialysis" and "Short daily hemodialysis" and "Sustained low efficiency or extended daily dialysis" and "Outcomes associated with nocturnal hemodialysis" and "Choosing a modality for chronic peritoneal dialysis".)To continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Introduction and summary. Proceedings from the Morbidity, Mortality and Prescription of Dialysis Symposium, Dallas, Tx, September 15 to 17, 1989. Am J Kidney Dis 1990; 15:375.
- Iseki K, Kawazoe N, Osawa A, Fukiyama K. Survival analysis of dialysis patients in Okinawa, Japan (1971-1990). Kidney Int 1993; 43:404.
- Collins AJ, Ma JZ, Umen A, Keshaviah P. Urea index and other predictors of hemodialysis patient survival. Am J Kidney Dis 1994; 23:272.
- United States Renal Data System. Excerpts from the USRDS 2009 annual data report: Atlas of end-stage renal disease in the United States. Am J Kidney Dis 2010; 1(Suppl 1):S1.
- Charra B, Calemard E, Ruffet M, et al. Survival as an index of adequacy of dialysis. Kidney Int 1992; 41:1286.
- Van Biesen W, Vanholder R, Lameire N. The role of peritoneal dialysis as the first-line renal replacement modality. Perit Dial Int 2000; 20:375.
- Goldstein A, Kliger AS, Finkelstein FO. Recovery of renal function and the discontinuation of dialysis in patients treated with continuous peritoneal dialysis. Perit Dial Int 2003; 23:151.
- Teitelbaum I, Burkart J. Peritoneal dialysis. Am J Kidney Dis 2003; 42:1082.
- Wauters JP, Uehlinger D. Non-medical factors influencing peritoneal dialysis utilization: the Swiss experience. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2004; 19:1363.
- Mendelssohn DC, Langlois N, Blake PG. Peritoneal dialysis in Ontario: a natural experiment in physician reimbursement methodology. Perit Dial Int 2004; 24:531.
- Tonelli M, Hemmelgarn B, Culleton B, et al. Mortality of Canadians treated by peritoneal dialysis in remote locations. Kidney Int 2007; 72:1023.
- Mehrotra R, Khawar O, Duong U, et al. Ownership patterns of dialysis units and peritoneal dialysis in the United States: utilization and outcomes. Am J Kidney Dis 2009; 54:289.
- Devoe DJ, Wong B, James MT, et al. Patient Education and Peritoneal Dialysis Modality Selection: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Am J Kidney Dis 2016; 68:422.
- Neumann ME. PD takes a big jump in 2014, while HHD shows progress. Nephrol News Issues 2014; 28:14, 17, 34.
- Miskulin DC, Meyer KB, Athienites NV, et al. Comorbidity and other factors associated with modality selection in incident dialysis patients: the CHOICE Study. Choices for Healthy Outcomes in Caring for End-Stage Renal Disease. Am J Kidney Dis 2002; 39:324.
- Maiorca R, Vonesh EF, Cavalli P, et al. A multicenter, selection-adjusted comparison of patient and technique survivals on CAPD and hemodialysis. Perit Dial Int 1991; 11:118.
- Serkes KD, Blagg CR, Nolph KD, et al. Comparison of patient and technique survival in continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD) and hemodialysis: a multicenter study. Perit Dial Int 1990; 10:15.
- Gentil MA, Carriazo A, Pavón MI, et al. Comparison of survival in continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis and hospital haemodialysis: a multicentric study. Nephrol Dial Transplant 1991; 6:444.
- Kawanishi H, McIntyre C. Complementary use of peritoneal and hemodialysis: therapeutic synergies in the treatment of end-stage renal failure patients. Kidney Int Suppl 2008; :S63.
- Agarwal M, Clinard P, Burkart JM. Combined peritoneal dialysis and hemodialysis: our experience compared to others. Perit Dial Int 2003; 23:157.
- Burkart J. If you can't beat them, join them (bimodal dialysis: the best of both worlds). Perit Dial Int 2004; 24:504.
- Blake PG. Integrated end-stage renal disease care: the role of peritoneal dialysis. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2001; 16 Suppl 5:61.
- Mendelssohn DC, Pierratos A. Reformulating the integrated care concept for the new millennium. Perit Dial Int 2002; 22:5.
- Kawanishi H, Moriishi M. Clinical effects of combined therapy with peritoneal dialysis and hemodialysis. Perit Dial Int 2007; 27 Suppl 2:S126.
- Panagoutsos S, Kantartzi K, Passadakis P, et al. Timely transfer of peritoneal dialysis patients to hemodialysis improves survival rates. Clin Nephrol 2006; 65:43.
- Nolph KD. Why are reported relative mortality risks for CAPD and HD so variable? (inadequacies of the Cox proportional hazards model). Perit Dial Int 1996; 16:15.
- Ward RA, Brier ME. Retrospective analyses of large medical databases: what do they tell us? J Am Soc Nephrol 1999; 10:429.
- Vale L, Cody J, Wallace S, et al. Continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD) versus hospital or home haemodialysis for end-stage renal disease in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2003; :CD003963.
- Korevaar JC, Feith GW, Dekker FW, et al. Effect of starting with hemodialysis compared with peritoneal dialysis in patients new on dialysis treatment: a randomized controlled trial. Kidney Int 2003; 64:2222.
- Pulliam J, Li NC, Maddux F, et al. First-year outcomes of incident peritoneal dialysis patients in the United States. Am J Kidney Dis 2014; 64:761.
- Collins AJ, Foley RN, Herzog C, et al. US Renal Data System 2012 Annual Data Report. Am J Kidney Dis 2013; 61:A7, e1.
- Nelson CB, Port FK, Wolfe RA, Guire KE. Comparison of continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis and hemodialysis patient survival with evaluation of trends during the 1980s. J Am Soc Nephrol 1992; 3:1147.
- Held PJ, Port FK, Turenne MN, et al. Continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis and hemodialysis: comparison of patient mortality with adjustment for comorbid conditions. Kidney Int 1994; 45:1163.
- Tzamaloukas AH, Yuan ZY, Balaskas E, Oreopoulos DG. CAPD in end stage patients with renal disease due to diabetes mellitus--an update. Adv Perit Dial 1992; 8:185.
- O'Donoghue D, Manos J, Pearson R, et al. Continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis and renal transplantation: a ten-year experience in a single center. Perit Dial Int 1992; 12:242, 245.
- Nissenson AR, Gentile DE, Soderblom RE, et al. Morbidity and mortality of continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis: regional experience and long-term prospects. Am J Kidney Dis 1986; 7:229.
- Vonesh EF, Moran J. Mortality in end-stage renal disease: a reassessment of differences between patients treated with hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. J Am Soc Nephrol 1999; 10:354.
- Murphy SW, Foley RN, Barrett BJ, et al. Comparative mortality of hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis in Canada. Kidney Int 2000; 57:1720.
- Locatelli F, Marcelli D, Conte F, et al. Survival and development of cardiovascular disease by modality of treatment in patients with end-stage renal disease. J Am Soc Nephrol 2001; 12:2411.
- Fenton SS, Schaubel DE, Desmeules M, et al. Hemodialysis versus peritoneal dialysis: a comparison of adjusted mortality rates. Am J Kidney Dis 1997; 30:334.
- Johansen KL, Zhang R, Huang Y, et al. Survival and hospitalization among patients using nocturnal and short daily compared to conventional hemodialysis: a USRDS study. Kidney Int 2009; 76:984.
- Schaubel DE, Morrison HI, Fenton SS. Comparing mortality rates on CAPD/CCPD and hemodialysis. The Canadian experience: fact or fiction? Perit Dial Int 1998; 18:478.
- Collins AJ, Hao W, Xia H, et al. Mortality risks of peritoneal dialysis and hemodialysis. Am J Kidney Dis 1999; 34:1065.
- Termorshuizen F, Korevaar JC, Dekker FW, et al. Hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis: comparison of adjusted mortality rates according to the duration of dialysis: analysis of The Netherlands Cooperative Study on the Adequacy of Dialysis 2. J Am Soc Nephrol 2003; 14:2851.
- Heaf JG, Løkkegaard H, Madsen M. Initial survival advantage of peritoneal dialysis relative to haemodialysis. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2002; 17:112.
- Liem YS, Wong JB, Hunink MG, et al. Comparison of hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis survival in The Netherlands. Kidney Int 2007; 71:153.
- McDonald SP, Marshall MR, Johnson DW, Polkinghorne KR. Relationship between dialysis modality and mortality. J Am Soc Nephrol 2009; 20:155.
- Foley RN, Parfrey PS, Harnett JD, et al. Mode of dialysis therapy and mortality in end-stage renal disease. J Am Soc Nephrol 1998; 9:267.
- Yeates K, Zhu N, Vonesh E, et al. Hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis are associated with similar outcomes for end-stage renal disease treatment in Canada. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2012; 27:3568.
- U.S. Renal Data System, USRDS 2009 Annual Data Report: Atlas of Chronic Kidney Disease and End-Stage Renal Disease in the United States, National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Bethesda, MD, 2009.
- United States Renal Data System. 2016 USRDS Annual Data Report: Epidemiology of kidney disease in the United States. National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Bethesda, MD 2016.
- Kim H, Kim KH, Park K, et al. A population-based approach indicates an overall higher patient mortality with peritoneal dialysis compared to hemodialysis in Korea. Kidney Int 2014; 86:991.
- Noordzij M, Jager KJ. Patient survival on dialysis in Korea: a different story? Kidney Int 2014; 86:877.
- US Renal Data System. USRDS 2006 Annual Data Report: Atlas of End-Stage Renal Disease in the United States. National Institutes of Health; National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Bethesda, MD 2006.
- Vonesh EF, Snyder JJ, Foley RN, Collins AJ. The differential impact of risk factors on mortality in hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. Kidney Int 2004; 66:2389.
- Hébert MJ, Falardeau M, Pichette V, et al. Continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis for patients with severe left ventricular systolic dysfunction and end-stage renal disease. Am J Kidney Dis 1995; 25:761.
- Stack AG, Molony DA, Rahman NS, et al. Impact of dialysis modality on survival of new ESRD patients with congestive heart failure in the United States. Kidney Int 2003; 64:1071.
- Ganesh SK, Hulbert-Shearon T, Port FK, et al. Mortality differences by dialysis modality among incident ESRD patients with and without coronary artery disease. J Am Soc Nephrol 2003; 14:415.
- Xue JL, Everson SE, Constantini EG, et al. Peritoneal and hemodialysis: II. Mortality risk associated with initial patient characteristics. Kidney Int 2002; 61:741.
- Jaar BG, Coresh J, Plantinga LC, et al. Comparing the risk for death with peritoneal dialysis and hemodialysis in a national cohort of patients with chronic kidney disease. Ann Intern Med 2005; 143:174.
- Weinhandl ED, Foley RN, Gilbertson DT, et al. Propensity-matched mortality comparison of incident hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis patients. J Am Soc Nephrol 2010; 21:499.
- Kumar VA, Sidell MA, Jones JP, Vonesh EF. Survival of propensity matched incident peritoneal and hemodialysis patients in a United States health care system. Kidney Int 2014; 86:1016.
- U.S. Renal Data System, USRDS 2012 Annual Data Report: Atlas of Chronic Kidney Disease and End-Stage Renal Disease in the United States, National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes. Bethesda, MD 2012.
- United States Renal Data System. USRDS 2013 Annual Data Report: Atlas of Chronic Kidney Disease and End-Stage Renal Disease in the United States. National Institutes of Health; National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Bethesda, MD 2013.
- United States Renal Data System. USRDS 2007 Annual Data Report: Atlas of Chronic Kidney Disease and End-Stage Renal Disease in the United States. National Institutes of Health; National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Bethesda, MD 2007.
- Schaubel DE, Blake PG, Fenton SS. Effect of renal center characteristics on mortality and technique failure on peritoneal dialysis. Kidney Int 2001; 60:1517.
- Mendelssohn DC, Mujais SK, Soroka SD, et al. A prospective evaluation of renal replacement therapy modality eligibility. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2009; 24:555.
- Dumler F, Stalla K, Mohini R, et al. Clinical experience with short-time hemodialysis. Am J Kidney Dis 1992; 19:49.
- Hornberger JC, Chernew M, Petersen J, Garber AM. A multivariate analysis of mortality and hospital admissions with high-flux dialysis. J Am Soc Nephrol 1992; 3:1227.
- Chandran PK, Liggett R, Kirkpatrick B. Patient survival on PAN/AN69 membrane hemodialysis: a ten-year analysis. J Am Soc Nephrol 1993; 4:1199.
- Hakim RM, Held PJ, Stannard DC, et al. Effect of the dialysis membrane on mortality of chronic hemodialysis patients. Kidney Int 1996; 50:566.
- Wolfe RA, Gaylin DS, Port FK, et al. Using USRDS generated mortality tables to compare local ESRD mortality rates to national rates. Kidney Int 1992; 42:991.
- Eknoyan G, Beck GJ, Cheung AK, et al. Effect of dialysis dose and membrane flux in maintenance hemodialysis. N Engl J Med 2002; 347:2010.
- Cheung AK, Levin NW, Greene T, et al. Effects of high-flux hemodialysis on clinical outcomes: results of the HEMO study. J Am Soc Nephrol 2003; 14:3251.
- Chauveau P, Nguyen H, Combe C, et al. Dialyzer membrane permeability and survival in hemodialysis patients. Am J Kidney Dis 2005; 45:565.
- Palmer SC, Rabindranath KS, Craig JC, et al. High-flux versus low-flux membranes for end-stage kidney disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012; :CD005016.
- Mailloux LU, Bellucci AG, Wilkes BM, et al. Mortality in dialysis patients: analysis of the causes of death. Am J Kidney Dis 1991; 18:326.
- Mailloux LU, Bellucci AG, Napolitano B, et al. Survival estimates for 683 patients starting dialysis from 1970 through 1989: identification of risk factors for survival. Clin Nephrol 1994; 42:127.
- Kramer P, Broyer M, Brunner FP, et al. Combined report on regular dialysis and transplantation in Europe, XII, 1981. Proc Eur Dial Transplant Assoc 1983; 19:4.
- ERA-EDTA Registry: Annual Academic Medical Center. Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2003.